PDA

View Full Version : What wine are you drinking? Summer 2009

Josh
06-23-2009, 17:53
It's about time somebody did it!

As for me...

Baron Herzog Old Vine Zin (Lodi) 2005.

Was there a bad 2005 vintage anywhere on the planet? If there was, I haven't had it!

Great wine, and with chocolate, it's amazing.

ratcheer
06-24-2009, 13:57
I have bought several bottles this summer, but I haven't opened any, yet. :skep:

Tim

OscarV
06-24-2009, 14:02
Martin Codax Albarino 2006, I got about half dozen of these and we like them on weekends.
Also the Dry Traminette by Sandhill Crane, both are great summer wines.

Josh
06-24-2009, 14:07
Very nice choices.

To continue the summer wine theme, I'm having a nice glass of the Chateau Grand Traverse 2007 pinot noir vin gris, a nice, flavorful, but light rose. Really hits the spot when it's 90 degrees outside.:hot:

bonneamie
06-25-2009, 14:44
My post-work, summer-afternoon-on-the-screened-in-back-porch sip of wine is from another excellent bottle from the Wright Meyers winery of Shepherdsville KY. The last one was a very tasty vignolles. This one is a Riesling, very light, perfect summer wine. I'm not a big fan of whites but sometimes it's just too hot for red.

Not only is it good wine, but there's a good story about our visit to the tasting room.

texascarl
06-25-2009, 15:15
Rene' Barbier's Mediterrannean White. It's always tasty, it's always inexpensive. I've been trying to find another old staple, the latest Bonny Doon Vin Gris de Cigare. If I can't find some soon I'll glom onto another rose' and Randall will have to wait til next year to get my money.

OscarV
06-25-2009, 15:21
Not only is it good wine, but there's a good story about our visit to the tasting room.

...and that would be?

Josh
06-25-2009, 16:16
I've been trying to find another old staple, the latest Bonny Doon Vin Gris de Cigare. If I can't find some soon I'll glom onto another rose' and Randall will have to wait til next year to get my money.

That's one of my favorites too. I just picked up a bottle at TJ's a few weeks ago but I haven't opened it yet. I don't think I've had a bad bottle from Bonny Doon.

I don't remember the Wright-Meyer story, other than watching the Boilers at the tasting bar:grin:

jburlowski
06-25-2009, 17:51
Laid in some New Age: one of our favorite summer whites.

bonneamie
06-26-2009, 10:10
...and that would be?

The winery is apparently in a subdivision, we drove past many houses to get to it, and found it only thanks to a Magellan. When we got there it was about 5 min to closing time, they graciously welcomed us into the tasting room and let us taste everything, including stuff that wasn't for sale.

Of course I bought several bottles, but what I think tastes great in the tasting room often doesn't taste so great back at home. Tastebud overload, I think. But this stuff, so far, has been great.

Josh
06-28-2009, 13:15
A few months ago I discovered that the local Meijer had a half shelf full of 2-4 y/o Rielslings and GewŁztraminers from Covey Run and Columbia Crest. All priced $8-10 too.

I've been enjoying all these all summer. Now I'm having a glass of the 2006 Covery Run
Riesling. Very nice and light, but a bit of pear. Very tasty, and going down quickly.

Martian
07-01-2009, 12:16
I've been enjoying a very nice crisp and dry Llano Estacado Sauvignon Blanc from the Texas Panhandle.

OscarV
07-01-2009, 13:54
BTAC 2007 William Larue Weller, neat.

Crazy stuff been going on at work and home, but the dust is settling and I feel like I deserve some WLarueW.

smokinjoe
07-01-2009, 14:09

Crazy stuff been going on at work and home, but the dust is settling and I feel like I deserve some WLarueW.

O, your post here confirms that that the craziness is affecting you. :D That WLW'll straighten you out, though!

Josh
07-03-2009, 06:30

O, your post here confirms that that the craziness is affecting you. :D That WLW'll straighten you out, though!

:slappin:

On day two of touring around wineries in the Finger Lakes. So far have 12 bottles from 8 or so winieries. And we skipped more than half of them! Not including the stop at Niagara on the Lake en route to NY.

I have a feeling lots of those will be showing up her very soon.:grin:

Hoping to do some dusty hunting too, but not a lot of luck yet.

Josh
07-04-2009, 03:54
:slappin:

On day two of touring around wineries in the Finger Lakes. So far have 12 bottles from 8 or so winieries. And we skipped more than half of them! Not including the stop at Niagara on the Lake en route to NY.

I have a feeling lots of those will be showing up her very soon.:grin:

Hoping to do some dusty hunting too, but not a lot of luck yet.

With supper last night I had a 2003 Cab Franc from Lakewood Vineyards on the southwest end of Seneca Lake. Very good. The Mrs. had a 2007 Cab Franc from Lamoreaux Landing Wine Cellars on the east side of the lake.

Cab Franc seems to grow really well in the northeast, much better than Cab Sauv. We've had lots of good ones here and back home in Michigan. As for the other vinifera reds, not so much (yet?).

OscarV
07-04-2009, 04:15

Hmmm, yeah I see.
Nursing my wounds this morning, 3600 cases this week.

I think I will go with the Eagle Rare 101 for the 4th of July, (Eagle and stars on the label).
Opps, I posted wrong again.

texascarl
07-04-2009, 08:20
I'm drinking a lot of Columbia Crest Two Vines Vineyard 10 in this heat, the white blend and rose'. For today's BBQ I've also pulled out some Laurel Glen REDS, a tasty zin field blend.

Josh
07-05-2009, 14:11
I'm drinking a lot of Columbia Crest Two Vines Vineyard 10 in this heat, the white blend and rose'. For today's BBQ I've also pulled out some Laurel Glen REDS, a tasty zin field blend.

I don't think I've ever seen either of those. I'll have to keep a look out for them.

This afternoon I'm sipping a wine a friend brought back from Israel for me, Yarden 2007 Mt Hermon White. It's very refreshing, crisp Chard/Sauv. Blanc blend. Refreshing but robust at 13.5 % abv.

Josh
07-08-2009, 14:11
This afternoon I am finishing off a bottle of Honey Wine from Easley Winery in Indianapolis. I don't know what the distinction between a Honey Wine and a Mead is, but this stuff tastes like a mead, but much smoother. Not too bad, but it lacks the honey character of most meads.

I've also been working on a bottle of Cherise, a fortified cherry dessert wine from Chateau Chantal (Old Mission Penninsula, MI). Pretty good stuff.

Jono
07-09-2009, 20:36
I really enjoy Malbec ...tonight I had some Maipe Malbec with some ravioli.

Health wise...resveratrol is one of the "wonder" ingredients found in red wine and Malbec, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cynthiana etc. are high in it.
There are many factors....regions...cooler, damper is better. Australian wines are generally lower in resveratrol compared to other regions.
NY wines in particular get high marks: http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pubs/wine_grape_found/wine97.html
http://ezinearticles.com/?What-Are-the-Best-Red-Wines-For-Resveratrol-Content?&id=1922889
Muscadine grape...native to Florida...highest average in the world..but it is rare. An exception to the cool, damp environs.

"Pinot Noir from its native Burgundy, France, as well as from Oregon, Washington State or New Zealand generally contains more resveratrol than the equivalent wine from a hotter, dryer area such as California or Australia."

Josh
07-10-2009, 04:11
I really enjoy Malbec ...tonight I had some Maipe Malbec with some ravioli.

Health wise...resveratrol is one of the "wonder" ingredients found in red wine and Malbec, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cynthiana etc. are high in it.
There are many factors....regions...cooler, damper is better. Australian wines are generally lower in resveratrol compared to other regions.
NY wines in particular get high marks: http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pubs/wine_grape_found/wine97.html
http://ezinearticles.com/?What-Are-the-Best-Red-Wines-For-Resveratrol-Content?&id=1922889
Muscadine grape...native to Florida...highest average in the world..but it is rare. An exception to the cool, damp environs.

"Pinot Noir from its native Burgundy, France, as well as from Oregon, Washington State or New Zealand generally contains more resveratrol than the equivalent wine from a hotter, dryer area such as California or Australia."

Interesting info, Jono, thanks! Malbec is one of my favorites too. It's funny how these old Bordeaux varieties like Malbec, Cabernet Franc and Carmenere have found a whole new life in the New World.

I've never had a Muscadine wine, but I've wanted to try one for a long time. They're grown all over the deep south, and from what I've read, there are some varieties that make very nice wine.

Anyway, yesterday I finished off a great bottle of Seyval Blanc from Brown County Winery (Nashville/Gnaw Bone, IN) and opened up a bottle of the 2006 Vin Gris de cigare. Boony Doon, 'nuff said.

texascarl
07-10-2009, 11:19
opened up a bottle of the 2006 Vin Gris de cigare.

I really, really like this stuff. Used to dine at a local wine bar near my office, they had a $10 bottle selection w/dinner every Tuesday. I'd rotate entree's every week, but always drank a bottle of this - it goes well with almost anything. The wine bar went out of business, this might be why. Heck, I can't find a bottle of VGdC now at retail for $10, so it really was a heckuva buy.

Malbec recommendation - Terra Rosa from Laurel Glen. Winemaker Patrick Campbell does a heckuva job. He used to make Terra Rosa w/Cab, then a Cab/Malbec blend and now it's all Malbec.

http://tinyurl.com/ksvovb

He also makes the REDS zin blend I mentioned upthread. My 'house red'.

http://tinyurl.com/layzal

Josh
07-13-2009, 16:29
I really, really like this stuff. Used to dine at a local wine bar near my office, they had a $10 bottle selection w/dinner every Tuesday. I'd rotate entree's every week, but always drank a bottle of this - it goes well with almost anything. The wine bar went out of business, this might be why. Heck, I can't find a bottle of VGdC now at retail for $10, so it really was a heckuva buy.

Malbec recommendation - Terra Rosa from Laurel Glen. Winemaker Patrick Campbell does a heckuva job. He used to make Terra Rosa w/Cab, then a Cab/Malbec blend and now it's all Malbec.

http://tinyurl.com/ksvovb

He also makes the REDS zin blend I mentioned upthread. My 'house red'.

http://tinyurl.com/layzal

Great suggestions. I've never had a Cali Malbec. Have to try the REDS too.

Just poured a glass of Keineweiss from Madison Vineyards (Madison, IN) and the wife noticed that it tasted like nail polish. So we dumped it out and poured something else.

That something else being a glass of Mallow Run (Bargersville, IN) Cayuga. Much better. Hard to describe tho, a little spicey, and little sweet, a little foxy. Very nice.

texascarl
07-14-2009, 11:22
Great suggestions. I've never had a Cali Malbec.

It's really an Argentine (Mendoza) Malbec made by a winemaker from California. Good stuff.

dean_martin
07-24-2009, 13:12
why, oh why?

http://blog.al.com/live/2009/07/medium_521421.jpgThe French painter G. Massias produced this bicycle advertising poster in 1895. A wine with a label featuring the poster has been banned from sale in the state of Alabama because it features a person "posed in an immodest or sensuous manner."

Dramiel McHinson
07-24-2009, 19:14
For these hot daze in Bama I like a V. Sattui Gamay Rouge or St. Christopher Piesporter Riesling Auslese. Both are light, fruity, sweet, but not too sweet, and no over abundances of tannins, acid, or oak. For the barbecue I like just about anything old vine zin. The youngsters seem like a basket of berries and the older ones seem to take on a stewed fruit and spice taste with an earthyness. I don't know where that comes from. Maybe I should wash my glass more often.

Thanx Josh for the great tour!

Dramiel McHinson
07-24-2009, 19:26
why, oh why?

http://blog.al.com/live/2009/07/medium_521421.jpgThe French painter G. Massias produced this bicycle advertising poster in 1895. A wine with a label featuring the poster has been banned from sale in the state of Alabama because it features a person "posed in an immodest or sensuous manner."

I live in North Alabama and feel your pain. Right next to a liquor store on highway 72 is a large billboard that has an advertisement for a strip club next to an invitation to worship from the local church. However, in all three of these establishments, I am protected from obscene materials made immortal by the worlds great artists plastered on fine wines. Of course, in the tattoo parlor strategically located next to the liquor store, one can have their anal cleft tattooed to make it more presentable to the discerning public. We aim to please. In moderation of course.

You just can't make this stuff up.

Attila
07-25-2009, 06:45
I had a California Reisling the other night that was most excellent despite its very silly name. Kung Fu Girl.

Josh
07-25-2009, 07:54
I had a California Reisling the other night that was most excellent despite its very silly name. Kung Fu Girl.

I haven't had a California Reisling that I really liked, but I'll keep my eye out for that one. I'm with you, sometimes the gimmicky names get in the way.

Don't know about how available these would be in Japan, but I've never had a bad Michigan or New York Reisling. The grape seems to love cool, wet climates.

Anyway been slowly working our way through our NY and IN wines. Last night with BBQ ribs the Mrs. & I split a bottle of a 2004 Cab Franc from Buttonwood Grove (http://buttonwoodgrove.com/) on Cayuga Lake, NY. Dry but with a good amount of fruit. Probably could have aged even longer than it did.

I remember this one, even though it was later in the tasting day. :drinking: They had a nice tasting room and some animals outside including some goats and a beautiful Scottish Highland cow (http://www.birchimages.co.uk/galleryimages/Highland%20cattle%20Scotland%202.JPG) named Melody who you could feed. Behind the buildings, on a little train back in the woods there's a beautiful waterfall too. Lots of waterfalls around the Finger Lakes, since the lakes themselves are in very deep glacial gorges.

Sijan
07-27-2009, 07:27
Lots of whites and roses, of course. Mostly Sauv. Blanc-based whites from New Zealand and Touraine (Loire Vallley). Some riesling as well, but not any of the heavier spatlese/auslese. Provencal and French roses. Some Virginia cheapies.

I am really enjoying a very cheap semi-sweet Riesling from Washington, the 2007 Snoqualmie Riesling Winemaker's Select. Was able to get it for $6/bottle from Wal-Mart. Wine Spectator gave it 88 pts and selected it as a Best Value. Indeed!

Also some lighter reds - Beaujolais (Gamay) and Pinot Noir. Also had a bottle of 2000 Ch. Laroque (St. Emilion) last week with filet mignon and it was excellent.

We have also been opening some of the wines from our honeymoon in Catalunya and Southern France, so the odd bottle from Penedes, Priorat/Montsant, Les Baux, Costieres-de-Nimes, and the S. Rhone.

camduncan
07-27-2009, 13:29
We're not exactly drinking wine per se, but ports and muscats from several Australian Granite Belt wineries (A 3 hour drive west.) Our favourites by far are Bellandean Estate Liqueur Muscat, Heritage Estate Moonshine Madness, Rumbalara Impi Cream and just about every port from the region that we open... Every time we visit the area, we come home with about 3 dozen bottles.

Sijan
07-28-2009, 14:15
We're not exactly drinking wine per se, but ports and muscats from several Australian Granite Belt wineries (A 3 hour drive west.) Our favourites by far are Bellandean Estate Liqueur Muscat, Heritage Estate Moonshine Madness, Rumbalara Impi Cream and just about every port from the region that we open... Every time we visit the area, we come home with about 3 dozen bottles.

That counts as wine in my book!

mier
07-28-2009, 15:09
For the latest tasting i did for some customers i had the following wines
As entry-Antech de Limoux brut 2007 sparkling white France.
As 2nd-Montespina verdejo-viura white 2008 Spain.
As 3td- Tohu sauvignon blanc white 2008 New Zealand.
As 4th-Luis Canas Rioja(85% viura)barrel fermented 2006 white Spain.
As 5th- Tohu merlot red 2007 New Zealand.
As 6th-Corte Ibla nero d`ŗvola-cabernet sauvignon 2005 red Sicily italy.
As 7th-Luis F Edwards Dona Bernarda private collection 2005 blend Chile.

Getting paid for drinking wine ah i love my job though sometimes pretty exhausting.

Eric.

Josh
07-29-2009, 08:30
For the latest tasting i did for some customers i had the following wines
As entry-Antech de Limoux brut 2007 sparkling white France.
As 2nd-Montespina verdejo-viura white 2008 Spain.
As 3td- Tohu sauvignon blanc white 2008 New Zealand.
As 4th-Luis Canas Rioja(85% viura)barrel fermented 2006 white Spain.
As 5th- Tohu merlot red 2007 New Zealand.
As 6th-Corte Ibla nero d`àvola-cabernet sauvignon 2005 red Sicily italy.
As 7th-Luis F Edwards Dona Bernarda private collection 2005 blend Chile.

Getting paid for drinking wine ah i love my job though sometimes pretty exhausting.

Eric.

Wow, that's a great list! I used to think I didn't like sauv blanc until I had one from NZ. I don't know what it is, the soil, the latitude or what, but every one I've ever had is great.

I had the privilege of attending a mead tasting at an area pub last night. If you've never had it, it's (usually) good stuff, basically a wine made from honey. Even though it's drunk more like beer, it's made more like wine. Similar to cider in that regard, I suppose.

The tasting was hosted by a local meadery (just a couple miles from my house) called B. Nektar. We tasted four styles of their mead. The best was the one made from orange blossom honey, but the wildflower wasn't bad either. They also served us a pymenter, which is a mead sweetened with grape juice.

Overall a great experience.

smokinjoe
08-03-2009, 09:27
I'm not much of a wine drinker, but I felt like going with a white for dinner yesterday. I had been gifted a bottle of Las Brisas white wine, from a guest of our Cinco de Mayo party this year. It's been in the fridge, so I pulled it out. Very enjoyable wine. Crisp, clean, with nice citrus notes. Went very well with the Red Curry scallops. This would be a bottle I might buy for another occasion.

bonneamie
08-03-2009, 09:59
While in Northern Michigan over the weekend we went to a local winery for a tasting and I ended up buying one bottle. I think on the whole I won't be buying any more wine from this particular place (it's not a winery anywhere near Traverse City). The whites were totally unremarkable and the red I bought had a smokey flavor (reminded me of Josh's bacon infused bourbon) that was interesting at the sampling, but not so interesting for a full glass.

Joshua
08-03-2009, 14:39
Regarding the Kung Fu Girl, it's from the same folks as Holy Cow. They're changing the Holy Cow (I think that's it?) name to something else... they're from Washington if I remember right and surprisingly good. We got some in Kansas for about $10 a bottle, up here it's a bit more.

I enjoy it

Josh
08-04-2009, 05:17
Last night finished off a bottle of Veranda Rose from Chateau Thomas Winery in Plainfield, IN (just off I 70). Great restaurant nearby too. The Coachman. Get the Pork Tenderloin, fried.:grin:

When we visited this winery I didn't really care for it. Nice tasting room, lots of wines available for tasting (almost too many). But no estate wines, no native varieties, hardly even any Euro-American hybrids. Most of the wines seemed to lack distinction too.

This was one of the few I liked, and it took some breathing, but it's a well executed semi-dry rose. Great with food.

Phantos
08-13-2009, 21:03
Regarding the Kung Fu Girl, it's from the same folks as Holy Cow. They're changing the Holy Cow (I think that's it?) name to something else... they're from Washington if I remember right and surprisingly good. We got some in Kansas for about $10 a bottle, up here it's a bit more.

I enjoy it
yeah, that's all Charles Smith juice and good.
They do things the French way.
I'm a fan.
Tried the Charles & Charles rose yet?
Pretty killer.

Josh
08-14-2009, 04:15
Yesterday shared a bottle of Domaine Barrien's Wolf Prairie Red with my wife and a friend of ours. Domaine Barrien is a really unique winery. It's just a few miles from Chicago on the Lake Michigan shore in SW Michigan. Unlike most Michigan wine-makers who focus on German/Alsatian whites, they specialize in estate-grown reds and do a damn good job.

Few days before that I finished off a bottle of White Spings (Seneca Lake) 2007 GewŁztraminer. Really good. Fruity and spicey, great with food. Good summer pour.

Jono
08-15-2009, 17:08
Tonight I am enjoying Guenoc 2007 N Coast "Victorian Claret" ...a CA burgundy...a red blend...but very good.

http://www.thewinebuyer.com/sku48205.html

Josh
08-31-2009, 18:16
Tonight I am enjoying Guenoc 2007 N Coast "Victorian Claret" ...a CA burgundy...a red blend...but very good.

http://www.thewinebuyer.com/sku48205.html

Looks good Jono.

Just finished two bottles today and opened another. Finished a bottle of Royal Rose from Seneca Shore Winery near Penn Yann, NY. Nice fairly dry rose with a good foxy Catawba touch. Everything we got there was very good for the money, despite the cheesy medieval theme of the place.

Also finished a bottle of 2003 Markham Cab Sauv (Napa) that was left by a mustachioed friend who stopped by Saturday evening.

Just opened a bottle of Vignoles Ice Wine from Wagner Winery/Brewery on Seneca Lake. The some of the beers were good and most of the wines were mediocre. But this ice wine, wow. Like biting into a ripe pear, but sweeter. It was affordable too, for an ice.

Sijan
09-01-2009, 07:35
Had a bottle of the 2005 Barboursville Octagon, 8th Edition (http://www.barboursvillewine.net/wine/vineyard-and-wines/wine-at-barboursville/octagon) last night with dinner at Clyde's in Tysons Corner. Their price on the bottle is actually slightly less than the $40 retail - no idea why. The wine is made by the Barboursville Vineyards near Charlottesville, Virginia and is a merlot-based meritage-style blend.

The name Octagon comes from the Barboursville ruins (http://www.barboursvillewine.net/wine/estate-and-history) on the winery grounds, designed by Thomas Jefferson for his friend James Barbour, governor of Virginia. The mansion burned down in on Christmas Day in 1884 and only the octagon-shaped brickwork remains.

I thought the wine was excellent, rating in the low 90s.

http://www.barboursvillewine.net/images/stories/goodlabels/octagon.jpg

bigtoys
09-02-2009, 22:32
Spring Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon and Elivette (Bordeaux blend)
Rubicon Cabernet (Coppola's first winery)
Orin Swift Mercury Head Cabernet & The Prisoner (51% Zin, 23% Cab,...)
Franciscan Magnificat (Bordeaux blend)
Cain 5 (Bordeaux blend)...pricey, but worth it. they also have Cain Concept, which is more reasonable

mier
09-15-2009, 02:17
I had a schwarzriesling from the Baden-region of Germany,a red wine,half dry called Becksteiner Tauberklinge 2006 for its price a very surprisingly good wine.Another name for the grape is pinot meunier originally from Burgundy.

Eric.

troyce
09-15-2009, 17:52
Just killed off a bottle of the Seghesio 2007 Sonoma Zinfindel . Good stuff.

kateric
10-27-2009, 18:05
Order some T-Vine stuff from California... you won't be disappointed if you like fruit-forward reds! Newton Meritage is good also for red. Mer Soleil makes a good Chard (as does Newton unfiltered) and Conundrum is a good blend. Mondavi Oakdale is an excellent Cab Sav. Honig and Brown Estate are also good Cabs. Qupe Shiraz is nice. And although it isn't highly rated, I really enjoy King Estate Pinot Noir.