PDA

View Full Version : A special Canada Day beer

Megawatt
07-01-2009, 14:59
Innis & Gunn recently released a special beer to the Canadian market, just for Canada Day. It is a variation of their oak-aged Scottish ale, this one aged in Canadian whisky barrels and made with a recipe that includes malted rye. I'll be having one tonight so I'll post my impressions if anyone is interested...

Jono
07-01-2009, 23:31
Please do....I just posted on the "What beer are you drinking" thread a Q about the Innis & Gunn Oak Aged....so this variation sounds interesting. Too bad they are not widely distributed.

Megawatt
07-02-2009, 09:26
Please do....I just posted on the "What beer are you drinking" thread a Q about the Innis & Gunn Oak Aged....so this variation sounds interesting. Too bad they are not widely distributed.

Well to be honest I don't have much experience with the regular oak-aged variety so I can't really compare them. The Canadian cask is quite rich, with a sharp, burnt caramel flavour, a bit of orange, some other dark flavours I can't identify. I was perhaps expecting something a bit lighter. It's a full-flavoured beer, not really my usual choice of style but still quite nice. Expensive as heck, though.