PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a bottle

bigman
07-18-2009, 02:26
As the title states, I am looking for some recommendations for a bottle purchase. I will give some background on my tastes and requirements, and then in a couple of weeks I will tally the votes and see what I can find.

First off let me state that I donít drink all that much anymore, I even went almost a year that I didnít drink at all. So now when I do drink I like to drink high quality, no mater what it is, especially beer and bourbon. Now I have from 1 to 3 drinks usually once or twice a week, less if Iím working a lot, and if Iím on vacation it may be one to two several nights in a row.

Taste wise I have always preferred Makerís Mark, I still like it, however, it just doesnít have that something special that Iím looking for. If Iím going to exceed my 1 to 3 drink threshold I would probably go to Makerís Mark, but not if I just want a drink in my humble collection right now I have Four Roses Small Batch one open and one in reserve, my wife likes this one also. With that I have Makerís Mark, Elijah Craig 18yo, Bookerís, Bakers, Knob Creak, Basle Haydenís (this I havenít tried and only have a sampler size bottle), and a collector crock of Even Williams Masterís Distiller (again unopened, from our honeymoon, we had planed on opening on our anniversary, but have been too busy to even have our anniversary). Others; Calvertís, Johnny Walker Black, Captain Morgan, and E&J VSOP.

So, Iím looking for a good bottle that wonít break the bank, look at a $50 to $60 cap. With my limited intake and quantity on hand Iím not going to push it with my wife and start bringing home a bottle a week, or even a month, more like one every 6 weeks to two months. I get in enough trouble with cigars, I donít want to repeat her finding the cool-a-door and two humidors stashed in the basement, to go with the two humidors that she had bought me, and have displayed in the china cabinet. She is all for the good things in life, just in moderation, and I too am leading toward trying not to go to excess.

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions; Iím looking forward to the journey to the next bottle.

bigman
07-18-2009, 02:36
Also, I almost forgot, it needs to be something that I can readily get in central Indiana. I have Indianapolis and the Lafayette West Lafayette areas and everything in between at my disposal, but I donít have the free time right now to travel too far to find it.

Special Reserve
07-18-2009, 05:43
I think you would like Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B. It's a wheated bourbon like Maker's Mark, at 90.4 proof it won't overwhelm you. It is in the $50-$60 price range and should be available at better liquor stores.

There is one potentially significant problem, you will drink more as it is so good.

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 107 proof at about $35-$40 is also a wheated bourbon that is very good.

hectic1
07-18-2009, 06:16
I think you would like Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B. It's a wheated bourbon like Maker's Mark, at 90.4 proof it won't overwhelm you. It is in the $50-$60 price range and should be available at better liquor stores.

There is one potentially significant problem, you will drink more as it is so good.

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 107 proof at about $35-$40 is also a wheated bourbon that is very good.
I was going to say the same thing...I'm a big fan of Van Winkle Lot B...IMO is one of the best middle priced bourbon's out there. I have 3 or 4 bottles in the bunker waiting for me.

You could also pick up a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 15 year if you are looking for something with a little more heat...107 proof.

Four Roses Single Barrel might be another one to look into...if you like the FR SmB this one should be to your liking as well.

WsmataU
07-18-2009, 07:13
Another vote for Lot B or a VW 15 yr if you can find it for less than 60.

Stu
07-18-2009, 07:20

You're right on target! As I was reading his post I was thinking lot B and you'd already posted it. Since he likes wheaters (MM) IMO there is no better wheater than lot B unless you want to go to PVW 20 or 23 but those exceed the budget constraint.

hectic1
07-18-2009, 08:21
You're right on target! As I was reading his post I was thinking lot B and you'd already posted it. Since he likes wheaters (MM) IMO there is no better wheater than lot B unless you want to go to PVW 20 or 23 but those exceed the budget constraint. I have a bottle of Pappy 20 in the bunker but I haven't tried it yet...I have a hard time thinking that it can be worth the extra 2 to 2.5 times the price of the Lot B. One of these days I'll get up the nerve to crack open my bottle.

tommyboy38
07-18-2009, 09:06
My vote goes for the PVW15 or something from the BTAC. They're right in the $50 to $80 range. You can also go cheaper with the Lot B or perhaps an EWSB...$40 for the Lot B and about $25 for EWSB.
As you said you don't want to go to far to look for these items, you may not find them locally. I'd suggest mail order of a few bottles once or twice a year.

ThomasH
07-18-2009, 10:11
Try some Weller 12 if you can get it. It runs about 25.00 a bottle!

Thomas

gblick
07-18-2009, 12:47
I'd go for ORVW 10/107 or PVW 15yo.
Or, if you can find it, an older bottle of OWA.

Josh
07-18-2009, 15:24
Try some Weller 12 if you can get it. It runs about 25.00 a bottle!

Thomas

I'm with Thomas. Best wheater on the market. Otherwise go for the OWA.

independant
07-18-2009, 15:41
I am going to jump on the Lot B wagon as well. But I think any of the Van Winkles or Wellers will do you just fine.

bigman
07-18-2009, 18:39
Wow, quite the responses, thank you all, and keep them coming.

Iím an engineer by trade, and an engineering technician by degree, so Iím keeping a spread sheet with a tally. So far, it looks like the Lot B is winning by a landslide.

I will be looking around to see what my local stores have, and if all else fails, I keep forgetting I have a good friend that owns a small liquor store, so wile Iím pretty sure the mail order doesnít work in Indian, he can usually order stuff for me, as long as his distributor has it.

Iím going to keep the tally going for another week, or not quite, and then Iím going to see about getting the winner before my family fishing trip to MN next Friday. No better time to try a new Bourbon, right.

CygnusX-1
07-18-2009, 21:39
I recomend Elmer T Lee because its one of the best bourbons out there and its not expensive. I think almost everyone can find something they like about it. I also suggest EC18 because its one of my favs but be warned its not for everyone.

cowdery
07-19-2009, 14:29
I want to go back to that Evan Williams crock you said you have. Find an occasion to drink it soon because whiskey stored in ceramic long-term often does not do well. They tend to over-oxidize.

Kendall
07-19-2009, 18:48
You must try both the Lot B and the Weller 12. Both are excellent!

Kendall

ILLfarmboy
07-19-2009, 21:17
I want to go back to that Evan Williams crock you said you have. Find an occasion to drink it soon because whiskey stored in ceramic long-term often does not do well. They tend to over-oxidize.

And plain old evaporate away. I should have opened it sooner. It was still good but about 40 percent had disappeared.

p_elliott
07-20-2009, 08:54
The Van Winkle Lot b is very good when you can find it approx $45. It only comes out twice a year. If you can't find it go with Old Weller Antique 107. The reason everyone is suggesting the Lot B is you like MM it's a wheater Lot B is a wheater so is OWA 107 and a very good one better than MM and cheaper $25. MM is 90 proof, VW Lot B is 90.4 proof, OWA is 107 proof.

funknik
07-20-2009, 11:46
I'm with Thomas. Best wheater on the market. Otherwise go for the OWA.
I really have to agree here -- the Weller 12 is really something special for a relatively low price -- I've seen it for $38 a handle in NY state.

bigman
07-20-2009, 20:17
Yes, we are trying to get time to celebrate our anniversary, and plan on opening the crock at that time. Once open, it shouldnít last long, what with its jumbo size and all. I give it a weight check from time to time and it seams to still have most of its contents. And as to the oxidation, I was unaware of this problem, and we will defiantly have to get to it soon.