PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon as a gift for an old friend - his wife is a big bourbon drinker

Hoping4Help
07-28-2009, 07:05
Hey there. I have read through all of the threads related to giving Bourbon as a gift, but still not found an answer. Hoping some of you might be able to provide a little more insight.

I want to give an old friend a nice bottle of bourbon for a house warming gift. I am fine with spending $100 on the bottle, and would like to get him something he would appreciate but not typically buy for himself.

I am in North Carolina, so I kind of have to go the route of the ABC store.

Here is the kicker - he isn't a hard-core bourbon drinker, but his wife is a BIG fan. I want to get him something he can share with his wife.

Is this enough information?

PVW 18/20 and others have been mentioned. I do not know if I have access to those in NC.

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.

smokinjoe
07-28-2009, 07:21
Welcome, H4H. This questions comes up from time-to-time, and I really enjoy trying to come up with an appropriate selection. A couple of questions, though. Do you know what she currently drinks regularly? Does she have a proof preference? Is there anything in your relationship with them that you can key off of? Like, a Kentucky connection...so you could gift WT "Kentucky Spirit", for instance. Are you close to Charlotte? If so, you can cross the border into SC on I-77 and hit a very good store there. If you're generous enough to go the $100, even a couple hour drive might not be a problem. Let us know.

Josh
07-28-2009, 09:01
Welcome, H4H. This questions comes up from time-to-time, and I really enjoy trying to come up with an appropriate selection. A couple of questions, though. Do you know what she currently drinks regularly? Does she have a proof preference? Is there anything in your relationship with them that you can key off of? Like, a Kentucky connection...so you could gift WT "Kentucky Spirit", for instance. Are you close to Charlotte? If so, you can cross the border into SC on I-77 and hit a very good store there. If you're generous enough to go the $100, even a couple hour drive might not be a problem. Let us know.

To add to what Joe said, don't think you have to get something spendy to get something good. There's a point of diminishing returns with bourbon. People might disagree as to what that point is, but most would agree that $100 is past that point.

theDon
07-28-2009, 09:17
$100 worth of anything in a plastic 1.75 bottle would be perfect. That's like a case of booze. You could take care of their "house" bourbon for guests for years to come.

Jono
07-28-2009, 10:13
What about a combo... a great bourbon and a great rye?
There are multiple combinations to consider.

theDon
07-28-2009, 10:17
I recently saw some of the old 4 packs of Jim Beam Small Batch collection for around a $100. That could be a classy alternative. Shut up all you Beam haters, I wouldn't buy it either just a suggestion. Don't act like you wouldn't take it if someone gifted you a set.

Hoping4Help
07-28-2009, 11:45
I appreciate the responses. I wish I knew more about her preferences. They are up in NYC and she is originally from Sweden, so I do not believe she has any KY connections.

I know what y'all are thinking - A Swedish, bourbon drinking woman ;)

Anyway, I am kind of far from the SC border, much closer to VA. I can not take the time in the next few weeks to drive to SC, unfortunately.

I would like to do one bottle as opposed to a case or whatever, they have a very small place now in NYC and I just want to give them something they will enjoy.

I certainly do not have to spend $100, I mainly meant that I didn't want to go too far over that amount.

tommyboy38
07-28-2009, 11:49
A Van Winkle Family Reserve 12 and a Family Reserve Rye 13 yr should be about $100.

nor02lei
07-28-2009, 15:21
I appreciate the responses. I wish I knew more about her preferences. They are up in NYC and she is originally from Sweden, so I do not believe she has any KY connections.

I know what y'all are thinking - A Swedish, bourbon drinking woman ;)

I give you an advice. Of natural courses my lady partner is Swedish as well. She has adopted a lot my taste for American whiskey and her favourite is vintage 21 rye. I really appreciate it a lot myself as well. Hope it is ok as an advice despite it isnít bourbon.

Leif

WsmataU
07-28-2009, 15:44
The Van Winkle can be tough to find in some areas. If you can wait another few weeks you may want to try to find a bottle of Eagle Rare 17 or GT Stagg from the Fall 2009 release. You'll definitely be able to order from a VA abc and keep it under $70.

independant
07-28-2009, 17:59
I don't know what the NC ABC stores carry so making a suggestion is always hard. You said that you were closer to Virginia so I am going to suggest Rock Hill Farms. It is not avalible in most VA ABC stores you will have to order it. It is a great bourbon in a great decanter. Just call any VA ABC store and order it and they will return your call when it comes it.

pepcycle
07-29-2009, 09:37
I'm intrigued by a Swedish woman with a penchant for American Whiskey, but how big is she?