PDA

View Full Version : Nice article on Cocktail Renaissance in Weekly Standard

RichWNJ
07-29-2009, 08:45
A nice artice, if a bit pretentious, in this weeks Weekly Standard

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/016/772lyldx.asp

Nice shout out to Stagg. I also did not realize some of the classic cocktails books have been republished. I plan on picking up a couple

Stones
07-29-2009, 22:04
For some reason this passage annoys me -

'...men had been busy discovering the greatness of single-malt Scotch. This in turn led our makers of Kentucky's finest spirit to point out that all straight bourbon was essentially single malt and bring to market some stunning new brown liquors.'

:smiley_acbt:

p_elliott
07-30-2009, 06:46
For some reason this passage annoys me -

'...men had been busy discovering the greatness of single-malt Scotch. This in turn led our makers of Kentucky's finest spirit to point out that all straight bourbon was essentially single malt and bring to market some stunning new brown liquors.'

:smiley_acbt:

Stones what about this statement annoys you?

Stones
07-30-2009, 23:19
That the makers of the finest spirit in the world had to liken their product to a single malt to get the masses to consider. It may be true and all but it just annoyed me that's all. Call me bourbon chauvinist... :lol:

jburlowski
07-31-2009, 06:26
I think the "Cocktail Renaissance" is great when it refers the return of traditional cocktails. By this I mean not just the "classics" but the idea of combining a few, high-quality ingedients together in a way that allowed them to both stand-alone and enhance and compliment each other.

I can't stand the current trend of lumping every sort of herb / spice / fruit / vegetable / juice / mineral / garnish / decoration / etc. together. And then dumping it all in a martini glass and proclaiming it a "cocktail".

It's hard to beat a simple Manhattan... if it's done right.

I don't need / want a "bar chef" or "mixologist"... gimme a real honest-to-God bartender who knows his craft and takes pride in his work.
:soapbox:

p_elliott
08-01-2009, 00:52
I think the "Cocktail Renaissance" is great when it refers the return of traditional cocktails. By this I mean not just the "classics" but the idea of combining a few, high-quality ingedients together in a way that allowed them to both stand-alone and enhance and compliment each other.

I can't stand the current trend of lumping every sort of herb / spice / fruit / vegetable / juice / mineral / garnish / decoration / etc. together. And then dumping it all in a martini glass and proclaiming it a "cocktail".

It's hard to beat a simple Manhattan... if it's done right.

I don't need / want a "bar chef" or "mixologist"... gimme a real honest-to-God bartender who knows his craft and takes pride in his work.
:soapbox:

Good luck finding one