PDA

View Full Version : Ardbeg 10: should I do it?

Megawatt
08-06-2009, 10:23
I have some birthday money with which I would like to buy an exceptional bottle of whisky. I finally got to try Ardbeg 10 last week and was very impressed, so I am tempted to blow my stash on a bottle.

Here is the thing: the price recently went from $77 to $99 per 750ml in Ontario, making it probably the most expensive 10-year-old around. Would I be insane to buy this?

I am also looking at The Glenlivet Nadurra ($81), and Longmorn 16 ($98). Really my budget should be around $80, but of course I can stretch it a little.

smokinjoe
08-06-2009, 10:52
Happy Birthday, Mega. Skip the Ardbeg, and spend your cash on a nice bottle of bourbon. Tons of great recommendations for you, up in the bourbon section. Heck, you'll be able to afford 2 or 3 superior bottles, for what you're willing to part with for the Ardbeg.

Megawatt
08-06-2009, 11:03
Happy Birthday, Mega. Skip the Ardbeg, and spend your cash on a nice bottle of bourbon. Tons of great recommendations for you, up in the bourbon section. Heck, you'll be able to afford 2 or 3 superior bottles, for what you're willing to part with for the Ardbeg.

Here are the bourbons available to me: Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, Corner Creek (all $45), Bulleit ($35)...I think that's about it.

smokinjoe
08-06-2009, 11:24
Don't fear, you're still way ahead of the Ardbeg with those options, limited as they may be. You still can get 2 superior bottles from that group. If it were me, I'd go Woodford and Bulliet, and grab a couple of beers with the leftover change. However, I'm tempted to suggest Corner Creek, as I have a particular fondness for it's minty goodness. In the end, you won't go wrong by getting any two of them.

Megawatt
08-06-2009, 11:39
Don't fear, you're still way ahead of the Ardbeg with those options, limited as they may be. You still can get 2 superior bottles from that group. If it were me, I'd go Woodford and Bulliet, and grab a couple of beers with the leftover change. However, I'm tempted to suggest Corner Creek, as I have a particular fondness for it's minty goodness. In the end, you won't go wrong by getting any two of them.

Not an Islay fan, I take it? I like Knob Creek and Bulleit is not bad either, but they don't exactly qualify as special occasion sippers, if you know what I mean.

cowdery
08-06-2009, 11:53
If you are a fan of the Islay style, then nothing else will do, and I've been impressed with Ardbeg, as their attitude across the board seems to be "go big or go home."

smokinjoe
08-06-2009, 11:58
No, not at all. I like Islays, well enough. I just think that all of the bourbon choices you listed trump the Ardbeg for any occasion.

Frodo
08-06-2009, 13:58
I am also looking at The Glenlivet Nadurra ($81), and Longmorn 16 ($98). Really my budget should be around $80, but of course I can stretch it a little.

My advice is to pass on the Longmorn 16 @ $98. No-one I know has anything good to say about the value of this product although comparisons to the 15yr @ $55 probably predispose people to a negative comparion. I tried it and was unimpressed.

I consider the Nadurra to be one of the best values at the LCBO - this coming from an Ardbeg fan. The 10yr is worth the coin IMHO, but the Nadurra is better value.

OscarV
08-06-2009, 15:07
I have some birthday money with which I would like to buy an exceptional bottle of whisky. I finally got to try Ardbeg 10 last week and was very impressed, so I am tempted to blow my stash on a bottle.

Here is the thing: the price recently went from $77 to $99 per 750ml in Ontario, making it probably the most expensive 10-year-old around. Would I be insane to buy this?

C'mon Man, it is your Birthday money.
I can get you a Laphroaig 30yo here in MI for $599.00 plus 6% sales tax plus shipping.:grin:

Megawatt
08-06-2009, 15:59
Actually I had Longmorn 16 last week and thought it was fantastic. Whether it was as good or better than the 15, hard to say without directly comparing them, but I agree that the 16 is awful pricey.

In the end, the decision was made for me: Ardbeg is all sold out around here, and I found a bottle of The Glenlivet Nadurra at $16 off! On my first glass of it now. I'd be hard-pressed to say whether this is Scotch or bourbon if I didn't already know. In fact I'd probably say bourbon. Crazy.

JFenwick
08-07-2009, 03:40
Shoot, I have a Ardbeg Uigeadail I have been waiting to open. PM me your address and I'l put a sticky on the bottle to send you a sample when I open it.

cowdery
08-07-2009, 12:33
I've had Ardbeg Uigeadail and no one could mistake that for bourbon. I could taste the peat for three days. In whiskey competitions, the Islay malts are always judged last because that peat taste is so persistent.

But the Highland malts do resemble bourbon. I was surprised when Richard Paterson (The Dalmore) told me they use first refill bourbon casks. Most other malt distilleries prefer second refill bourbon casks, which they obtain from the grain whiskey distilleries that use them first. They want the "bourboness" out of them, while they Highland distilleries use bourbon casks the same way they use sherry casks, presumably because they're starting with a spirit that doesn't have a great deal of flavor on its own.

Megawatt
08-07-2009, 12:48
I've had Ardbeg Uigeadail and no one could mistake that for bourbon. I could taste the peat for three days. In whiskey competitions, the Islay malts are always judged last because that peat taste is so persistent.

But the Highland malts do resemble bourbon. I was surprised when Richard Paterson (The Dalmore) told me they use first refill bourbon casks. Most other malt distilleries prefer second refill bourbon casks, which they obtain from the grain whiskey distilleries that use them first. They want the "bourboness" out of them, while they Highland distilleries use bourbon casks the same way they use sherry casks, presumably because they're starting with a spirit that doesn't have a great deal of flavor on its own.

I notice that Nadurra uses first-fill American oak for the whole 16 years, which lends credence to my theory that Scotch acquires the most bourbon taste when aged in new oak. Others have argued this with me, but I find that most of the Scotches I've had that uses new oak for even part of the maturation have the biggest bourbon notes.

JamesW
08-07-2009, 19:08
If you are a fan of the Islay style, then nothing else will do, and I've been impressed with Ardbeg, as their attitude across the board seems to be "go big or go home."

Here, here! Go with the Ardberg. It's about $55 here in MA and $42 in NH. I love it. Gives Lagavulin 16 a run for its' money peatwise with a bit more kick in the finish.

Megawatt
08-07-2009, 21:18
Here, here! Go with the Ardberg. It's about $55 here in MA and $42 in NH. I love it. Gives Lagavulin 16 a run for its' money peatwise with a bit more kick in the finish.

I guess the question is, if it cost $99 instead of $55, would you still go for it?

drrich1965
08-07-2009, 22:04
The best think about Ardbeg 10, and most Ardbegs, is the complexity of them, once you get used to the peat. There is a wonderful malty sweetness that balances out the tary/rope like peat. Chocolate notes at several points, its just a world class dram.

JamesW
08-08-2009, 11:14
I guess the question is, if it cost $99 instead of $55, would you still go for it?

Not here in the U.S. when I can get the Uigedail for about that price (which I have and love). But since you are in Canada, I don't know what your opportunity costs necessarily are. $99 may be a good deal up there.....or at least a reasonable one.... don't you hate socialized alcohol?

Gov
08-08-2009, 16:03

I love Ardbeg 10, however, $99 is way way to much INHO

LeoDLion
08-14-2009, 08:04
I love Ardbeg 10, however, $99 is way way to much INHO
Its in canadian dollars which is about $90 US. Still high but you need to taste Ardbeg 10. Ardbeg is one of my favorite single malt.

JamesW
08-16-2009, 20:30
Just saw the Ardberg 10yr at 42.99 in NH. I have one open and 1 bunkered so I passed but still a great price for a great Scotch.

brockagh
08-27-2009, 00:42
I'd go for the Nadurra, personally.

Ardbeg 10 is very good, but I think it's over hyped. If Ardbeg released a bubble bath people would still be rushing to say it was brilliant. They can't lose.

I think nearly all Scottish distilleries use first fill bourbon casks. The bourbon producers can't use them once they've been used once, so the Socts buy them then. The only place a Scottish distillery could get a second fill bourbon cask, really, is from another Scottish distillery or refill one they have used already.

There's one or two Scottish distilleries using virgin oak, as does the Midleton Disitllery in Ireland. These don't qualify as bourbon barrels as they've never held bourbon, but they give off very strong bourbon flavours.

Megawatt
08-27-2009, 06:01
I'd go for the Nadurra, personally.

There's one or two Scottish distilleries using virgin oak, as does the Midleton Disitllery in Ireland. These don't qualify as bourbon barrels as they've never held bourbon, but they give off very strong bourbon flavours.

All of the Scotches I've tasted that have spent time in new oak have had strong bourbon overtones: The Glenlivet Nadurra, Glenfiddich Solera Reserve, and The Glendronach Original. The Nadurra has especially strong bourbon flavour.

unclebunk
08-27-2009, 07:03
Ardbeg 10 is very good, but I think it's over hyped. If Ardbeg released a bubble bath people would still be rushing to say it was brilliant. They can't lose.

I really think there's some truth to this statement. Although I've warmed up considerably to Ardbeg 10 after four consecutive nights of drinking it, I still feel it is too one dimensional and over-hyped/overrated. Check out this parallel thread for more info.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9339&page=65

brockagh
08-28-2009, 01:47
I really love the Ardbeg 10. It's not my favourite malt or anything. It's a great distillery, but its support has reached a kind of critical mass. It drags everything in. They no longer have to produce the great malts they have produced in the past to be aclaimed masterful, complex... all sorts of superlatives. Although they do still produce whisky in this category.

ErichPryde
08-28-2009, 01:53
All of the Scotches I've tasted that have spent time in new oak have had strong bourbon overtones: The Glenlivet Nadurra, Glenfiddich Solera Reserve, and The Glendronach Original. The Nadurra has especially strong bourbon flavour.

If you're set on either the Nadurra or the Ardbeg-

I'm not as much of a scotch fan as a bourbon/rye guy, but my mom and dad are die hard when it comes to scotch. I've tried both the Nadurra and the Ardbeg, and liked them both. the Ardbeg was so completely in my face with the peat, and I was so unused to it, that I actually ended up likiing it. the Nadurra is more similar to a bourbon, and I didn't like it quite as much.

ultimately, it's your decision. do you want a cask-strength malt, or a swamp BBQ?

JamesW
09-12-2009, 08:11
Correction on the price... NH now has the Ardberg 10 at $36.99 .... I already have one open and one bunkered and I'm light on cash or I'd stock up. Anyone near the NH border should snap up a few...

unclebunk
09-12-2009, 09:08
Correction on the price... NH now has the Ardberg 10 at $36.99 .... I already have one open and one bunkered and I'm light on cash or I'd stock up. Anyone near the NH border should snap up a few...

$36.99!! Man, here in Illinois the Ardbeg 10 routinely sells for $70, though I have found it now and then for much cheaper. (The cheapest I've seen it was $40.)

Martian
09-14-2009, 13:30
I also love Ardbeg 10. Amazing complexity for a 10 yr. whiskey. I would only purchase it again for special occasions. It's out of my price range for regular sipping. It's about $62.00 in Dallas.

OscarV
09-14-2009, 13:41
Excuse my scotch ignorance but is the Ardbeg 10 a different bottle from the Ardbeg Corryvreckan?

Lost Pollito
09-14-2009, 14:11
Excuse my scotch ignorance but is the Ardbeg 10 a different bottle from the Ardbeg Corryvreckan?
Yes sir, it is different than the 10. The Cory is a new release that will replace "the beast". Think 10 but much more complex and bigger. There is a review of the cory up at maltadvocate.com in the blog section.

OscarV
09-14-2009, 14:23
Yes sir, it is different than the 10. The Cory is a new release that will replace "the beast". Think 10 but much more complex and bigger. There is a review of the cory up at maltadvocate.com in the blog section.

I read the review of the Ardbeg Corryvreckan in the current issue of M.A.
Here are some of the tasting notes,...
coal tar
damp kiln
anise
smoked seaweed
bacon fat
kalamata olive
It sounds so hideous that I think I will have to get a bottle.

unclebunk
09-14-2009, 15:01

I'm guessing the price will be "bigger" too. I'm actually looking forward to trying the new expression, as I find the Ardbeg 10 very one dimensional and thin. The flavor and aroma are definitely there, but this is one whisky that would benefit from additional malt to beef up the body. I know, others will disagree with my assessment, but I'm calling it as I see it.

Lost Pollito
09-14-2009, 15:25
I'm guessing the price will be "bigger" too. I'm actually looking forward to trying the new expression, as I find the Ardbeg 10 very one dimensional and thin. The flavor and aroma are definitely there, but this is one whisky that would benefit from additional malt to beef up the body. I know, others will disagree with my assessment, but I'm calling it as I see it.
Not terrible. Suppose to be around $85. Cheaper than the last release , "Supernova". Gotta get me some tarry rope to sip on. :cool:

unclebunk
09-14-2009, 15:43
Not terrible. Suppose to be around $85. Cheaper than the last release , "Supernova". Gotta get me some tarry rope to sip on. :cool:

But first you have to cover yourself in bacon fat and coal tar and sit in a damp kiln. :lol:

Lost Pollito
09-14-2009, 15:47
But first you have to cover yourself in bacon fat and coal tar and sit in a damp kiln. :lol:
Yum. :slappin:Yum.:slappin: Yum.:slappin:

The Boozer
09-20-2009, 10:27
Ardbeg 10yr recently went from $69.95/bottle to $55 /bottle. Yes a price drop of -$15 so I picked up a bottle and enjoyed a couple of drams. Heavy on the oily peat and wet char smoke with some sweetness at the beginning and near the end. If peat and smoke not your thing I would stay away from this stuff.
Why the price drop - no clue? This from a State that rarely if ever, drops the price of booze.
TJ

The Boozer
01-21-2010, 09:20
Update: price dropped to $49.95 so I picked up two more bottles, one for when I finish the latest bottle and one for the bunker. Next on the hit list is Corryveckan. Heard nothing but good things about this bottle.
TJ

unclebunk
01-21-2010, 09:24
Update: price dropped to $49.95 so I picked up two more bottles, one for when I finish the latest bottle and one for the bunker. Next on the hit list is Corryveckan. Heard nothing but good things about this bottle.
TJ

Got to love them price drops! Let us know what you think of the Corryveckan if you score one soon.

Luna56
01-22-2010, 00:44
Now I'm convinced I must try some Ardberg. The tasting notes were an excellent nudge.

Cheers!

I read the review of the Ardbeg Corryvreckan in the current issue of M.A.
Here are some of the tasting notes,...
coal tar
damp kiln
anise
smoked seaweed
bacon fat
kalamata olive
It sounds so hideous that I think I will have to get a bottle.

DrinkyBanjo
01-22-2010, 06:21
For something a little more available than the Corryvreckan go for the Uigeadail. It is their barrel proof version and most excellent if you ask me.

LeoDLion
01-22-2010, 08:58
Ardbeg has been one of my favorite Scotch whisky. Here is a picture of Ardbeg Mhor which is 4.5 liters and its small cousin the 10 sitting on my bar.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l294/LeoDLion_2006/?action=view&current=DSCN1324.jpg

(Is there a way to post a picture instead of a link?)

ErichPryde
01-22-2010, 12:39
(Is there a way to post a picture instead of a link?)

taken to PM. hope I helped out a bit...