PDA

View Full Version : A huntin I will go

J.W.
08-25-2009, 07:18
I am goin to spend a few days in Charlottesville VA. Are there any places I should seek out for good deals or great selection?

ggilbertva
08-25-2009, 11:44
J.W.

Virginia is a controlled State so really, you will only find current shelf offerings. I'm not familiar with any stores in the Charlottsville area but any ABC will carry a selection of bourbons, some better than others. I will add that VA prices run on the high side.

If you do stop in one of the ABC's, you can look specifically for a couple of items that if you don't have, are worth picking up:

Charter 101
Old Weller Antique
Lot B
Fighting Cock

independant
08-25-2009, 17:17
As Greg said here in Va we are a control state so not much in the way of dusties but you may find some current releases you don't have down your way. Try VA ABC's website for a list. http://www.abc.state.va.us/Pricelist/STRAIGHT_BOURBON_WHISKEY.html

J.W.
08-26-2009, 07:03
Thanks for taking time to respond. I'am sure I'll find something I like.

J.W.

capitals83
08-26-2009, 20:05
Also don't forget the two labels with Virginia in their name while you are here.

Virginia Gentleman 90 proof: I am never sure how wide of a distribution this one gets outside of Va, but if you have never had it, it is worth a try.

Virginia Lighting: Its corn whiskey so don't expect anything smooth or refined. That being said I have always had a soft spot for clear whiskey and this is the best I have found that is sold in a store.

ggilbertva
08-27-2009, 07:04
Also don't forget the two labels with Virginia in their name while you are here.

Virginia Gentleman 90 proof: I am never sure how wide of a distribution this one gets outside of Va, but if you have never had it, it is worth a try.

Virginia Lighting: Its corn whiskey so don't expect anything smooth or refined. That being said I have always had a soft spot for clear whiskey and this is the best I have found that is sold in a store.

Good call on the VG90 (The Fox). This is a pretty decent bourbon and the distribution is limited so get a bottle if they have it.

Josh
08-28-2009, 11:40

Good call on both. I think the VL is the best unaged corn whiskey made.