PDA

View Full Version : In your opinion: The best of the Eagle Rare 17

ErichPryde
08-26-2009, 11:11
Hello all,

I am wondering what everyone thinks of the Eagle Rare 17 year bottlings. which year do you like the best? I have only had the honor of drinking the 2005 and 2008 bottlings, as it can be hard to find here in Wichita. However, I recently found a great deal on bottlings of 2005, 2007 & 2008- a liquor store has multiple bottles of those three years and they are on sale for 39.99 plus tax.

The 2005 absolutely blew me away- it was like someone had taken all of the beautiful qualities of the 10 yr and magnified them- the spiciness was huge, the oak was there but wasn't overwhelming but did add the deep thought qualities I see in Jeffersons Reserve to a degree, and it managed to be more vanilla-sweet than the 10 year and pull it all off wonderfully.

Unfortunately, I had the 2008 less recently and when I was a lot less experienced with bourbon, and I can't quite remember what that one was like. I don't remember it being nearly as full of character as the 05... but it's been a while.

so what's the concensus? which year was the best?

smokinjoe
08-26-2009, 11:36
Hi Erych, and welcome to the site.

The Eagle Rare 17 has certainly been the most overlooked bottling of the Antique Collection, since it's inception. I think the reason is that it is usually compared to the Barrel Proof and spicey rye brothers in the BTAC stable. Although maybe not always exceptional, I have found every year to be an enjoyable pour, with the 2004 being the best that I have tried. I believe the recent 2008 has been reviewed kindly, by many. All that said, if you can buy any year for $39.99, get every single one of them. That is a terrific price.

ErichPryde
08-26-2009, 11:43
Hi Erych, and welcome to the site.

The Eagle Rare 17 has certainly been the most overlooked bottling of the Antique Collection, since it's inception. I think the reason is that it is usually compared to the Barrel Proof and spicey rye brothers in the BTAC stable. Although maybe not always exceptional, I have found every year to be an enjoyable pour, with the 2004 being the best that I have tried. I believe the recent 2008 has been reviewed kindly, by many. All that said, if you can buy any year for $39.99, get every single one of them. That is a terrific price.

I've never ever had a chance to try Stagg, because every time I hunt down a bottle at a reasonable price, it's already been sold. this last year most of the places that got 08 bottlings had them sold before they were in the door.

I would love to try George T. Stagg, but there is something I really like in the older bourbons like the ER17 and JR. Not saying that JR and ER17 are anything alike exactly other than just a few qualities...

jburlowski
08-26-2009, 14:47
The ER 17 bottlings are generally very very good. One of them (I'm not sure ---- 2006?) was very oaky, though.

At the price you have available, I'd bunker em.

fishnbowljoe
08-26-2009, 15:07
Hi Erich, and welcome aboard. I've only had the pleasure of having bottles from 07 and 08. I thought both were great, with the 08 being just slightly better. From what I can gather from some of the posts here, it seems that 05 was a great year for all the selections from the BTAC. It also appears that 08 was a banner year too, but not quite as good as 05. I agree with John and Joe. I'd buy them all at that price. What you don't want, send to us. :slappin: Joe

By the way, I'm a big fan of any and all versions of Eagle Rare and Weller. It's all good!

ripvanfan
08-26-2009, 15:59
For what it's worth, I believe you will find most Stagg bottlings are in the same age range as ER17.

hectic1
08-26-2009, 17:34
I have tried the Fall 06 version and thought it was one of the best bourbon's that I have EVER had...I have a bottle bunkered and can't wait to open it. I also picked up a bottle of Summer 2000 today...found it at a store in Houston...now I have to check my luggage again.:( Oh well, I guess it's worth the extra 30 minutes at the airport for that find. ;)

birdman1099
08-26-2009, 19:09
I believe John Hansell rated the 08 the best of the bunch.

I tend to agree....

Lost Pollito
08-26-2009, 19:10
I believe John Hansell rated the 08 the best of the bunch.

I tend to agree....
Same here. Quite nice and pleasant.

ErichPryde
08-27-2009, 03:14
For what it's worth, I believe you will find most Stagg bottlings are in the same age range as ER17.

that's right, now that you say something I remember that Stagg is about 15 years old. too bad I haven't ever tried any... my life is incomplete.

ggilbertva
08-27-2009, 06:57
I have tried the Fall 06 version and thought it was one of the best bourbon's that I have EVER had...I have a bottle bunkered and can't wait to open it. I also picked up a bottle of Summer 2000 today...found it at a store in Houston...now I have to check my luggage again.:( Oh well, I guess it's worth the extra 30 minutes at the airport for that find. ;)

That's a great find. I found one also a year or so ago. Actually, found a complete set from 2000, Weller 19, Saz 18 (x2) and the ER17. I traded out one of the Saz for an '04 Saz.