PDA

View Full Version : Hiram Walker Canadian Special Old Whisky

Gov
08-28-2009, 15:38
I just acquired a liter bottle of this stuff and was told it can only be purchased in Canada. I was also told it was a very good straight rye whisky by a co-worker who says that someone he knows is a big rye whisky fan, and this is one of his staples.
I am interested in an comments or opinions on this one

Thanks

Megawatt
09-07-2009, 18:52
I just acquired a liter bottle of this stuff and was told it can only be purchased in Canada. I was also told it was a very good straight rye whisky by a co-worker who says that someone he knows is a big rye whisky fan, and this is one of his staples.
I am interested in an comments or opinions on this one

Thanks

I did not like it much. The nose is sort of promising with some good spice, but the flavour I would describe as hard and brittle, like a wet flint stone or something. Very mineral-tasting. Not a lot of finesse.

I know Jim Murray loves it, and maybe others do as well. I wanted to like it but wouldn't buy it again. For a Canadian rye I would take Alberta Springs.

But do let me know what you think. I hope you enjoy!

Gov
09-08-2009, 10:10
I did not like it much. The nose is sort of promising with some good spice, but the flavour I would describe as hard and brittle, like a wet flint stone or something. Very mineral-tasting. Not a lot of finesse.

I know Jim Murray loves it, and maybe others do as well. I wanted to like it but wouldn't buy it again. For a Canadian rye I would take Alberta Springs.

But do let me know what you think. I hope you enjoy!

Thanks for your input! I will post back when I try it.