PDA

View Full Version : Texas is a no-import state?

MarkEdwards
08-30-2009, 12:46
Gaaah! I thought I'd put in a test order at Binny's to get an idea of shipping costs and whatnot, when the site informed me that they do not ship to Texas because of liquor import laws.

I spent another hour or so poring over the TABC online, which seems to verify my fears. Phooey! I thought the weekend 'blue laws' were the last of the archaic laws we had here (well, okay, the law that won't let you buy beer before 7am so you can have ice cold beer that afternoon is stupid too).

Do any of you other Texans have in-state online sources that can ship in state? I would love to be able to shop around without having to burn the gas required by driving into Dallas and/or Fort Worth.

Sigh... I was really hoping to take advantage of some prices at Binny's, too...

gblick
08-31-2009, 07:21
This must be new, because I know it didn't used to be.
I've ordered from out-of-state online stores before, but it was a couple of years ago.

Lost Pollito
08-31-2009, 09:09
It's about 6 - 9 months old iirc.

p_elliott
08-31-2009, 09:35
No offence to Joe but Binny's is a little quick to say no when others will say yes however in this recession some states have tightened up for tax purposes. VA for example. Shop around check your state laws don't take someones word from across the country on what your state laws are. I have found nothing to back up what Binny's says is my state law and I have spent hours looking. And this didn't come from Joe it was from someone else at Binny's. Also I just checked and some of the websites are getting a little more vague about who they will ship to. It's a vicious circle

MarkEdwards
08-31-2009, 10:40
Found another site that states on the home oage that:
"By Law
Our shipping destinations are restricted to these states:CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, IA, ID, IN, LA, MN, MO, NC, ND, NH, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, SC, TX, VA, WA, WI, WV & WY"

I've emailed them asking for clarification, but I bet they mean "there are restrictions on shipping to the following states..."

bpt
08-31-2009, 19:42
I had the opposite experience when I talked to someone at Binny's (I didn't try to place an order online). I had been turned down by a place in California for the cheaper shipping methods. They would only ship via the most expensive overnight way that was horribly expensive for what I wanted to buy. When I called Binny's he knew what was going on with that place, said they had been having too many shipments confiscated, but that Binny's didn't have any problem with sending me whatever I needed. However, this would have been more than 9 months ago. Maybe that rule did change? Now you have me worried as I was about to order some things from them again.

callmeox
08-31-2009, 20:00
No offence to Joe but Binny's is a little quick to say no when others will say yes however in this recession some states have tightened up for tax purposes. VA for example. Shop around check your state laws don't take someones word from across the country on what your state laws are. I have found nothing to back up what Binny's says is my state law and I have spent hours looking. And this didn't come from Joe it was from someone else at Binny's. Also I just checked and some of the websites are getting a little more vague about who they will ship to. It's a vicious circle

This is probably why Binny's is quick to say no when you ask. (http://iowaabd.com/files/client_files/352/253/05_07_bootlegging.pdf)

Josh
09-01-2009, 05:32
This is probably why Binny's is quick to say no when you ask. (http://iowaabd.com/files/client_files/352/253/05_07_bootlegging.pdf)

It's an interesting court case. There were Michigan wineries on both sides of it.

doubleblank
09-01-2009, 07:50
Until recently (the last 4 or 5 years anyway), Texas didn't permit the shipping of any alcohol from out of state directly to it's citizens. But faced with the same situation addressed in litigation around the US.....Texas allowed it's wineries to ship to out-of-state customers but not vice versa.....it relented and now allows the shipment of wine from out-of-state. Texas has never "offically" allowed shipping of liquor from out of state.

But many retailers, knowing that wine was allowed, would ship a bottle of liquor or two as long as some wine was also shipped. I won't name the party......but it's a big retailer located in the midwest. They did it for me on many occasions. I haven't ordered in a while, so they may have changed their policy.

Randy

DowntownD
09-09-2009, 00:03
I've had shipments from Binnys to Austin a few times, though it's now been a bit over a year since the last one. For whatever that's worth...