PDA

View Full Version : Dead guy whisky

nor02lei
09-25-2009, 14:40
I did have a Rogue Dead guy Whiskey

at Stockholm beer and whisky festival yesterday witch due to the label was aged only 1 month. Not that bad at all I most say, a bit sticky nose but very sweet and mellow taste.

Leif

threejean
04-27-2010, 06:37
I just acquired a bottle yesterday, and I thought it was pretty good. Very smooth, a bit sweet. Could have used some more barrel aging. If they lowered the price some ( I paid $40) I think it would well worth it.

unclebunk
04-27-2010, 07:06
I just acquired a bottle yesterday, and I thought it was pretty good. Very smooth, a bit sweet. Could have used some more barrel aging. If they lowered the price some ( I paid $40) I think it would well worth it.

That's the problem for me too. I'd like to try some but I haven't heard enough about the juice to justify dropping $40 on a bottle.

Ultra
04-27-2010, 07:13
I have some. Reminds me of tequila.

Josh
04-27-2010, 07:53
I have some. Reminds me of tequila.

Is that good or bad?

Ultra
04-27-2010, 08:02
Well, if I want to drink Tequila it is an option. If I want Whiskey, I'll pass on the Dead Guy.

bankerjoe
04-28-2010, 10:36
I have a bottle at home. I bought it on a whim. Kind of wish I didn't, though. It is okay, but there is something rather unpleasant about it. I can't really figure it out. Maybe it is a lack of oak as mentioned previously.

Ultra
04-28-2010, 10:40
I have a bottle at home. I bought it on a whim. Kind of wish I didn't, though. It is okay, but there is something rather unpleasant about it. I can't really figure it out. Maybe it is a lack of oak as mentioned previously.

The unpleasantness you mention, lack of oak, comes across like a Tequila to me. It is aged about as long as a Reposado Tequila.

bankerjoe
04-28-2010, 12:07
The unpleasantness you mention, lack of oak, comes across like a Tequila to me. It is aged about as long as a Reposado Tequila.

I really like Tequila though, especially blancos. There is some sort of floral or fruity type note that is just too excessive, but I think that is only because there really isn't anything else to the whiskey. Does anyone know what is actually distilled? (As in, is it just the grain, or is it the whole recipe, hops and all?)

Ultra
04-28-2010, 12:15
I really like Tequila though, especially blancos. There is some sort of floral or fruity type note that is just too excessive, but I think that is only because there really isn't anything else to the whiskey. Does anyone know what is actually distilled? (As in, is it just the grain, or is it the whole recipe, hops and all?)

I like Reposados. The Cabo Wabo Reposado being one of my faves.

MurphyDawg
09-10-2010, 02:44

Right from the Rogue website:

6 Ingredients:

Dead Guy Whiskey is made with the same 4 grains that are used to make Dead Guy Ale since 1991. Northwest Harrington, Maier Munich, Klages, and Carastan malts; Free Range Coastal Water & Distiller's yeast.

so same grain bill as deadguy ale, with no hop additions.

JohnHansell
09-10-2010, 05:47
I reviewed it shortly after it first came out. Not a fan. Gave it a 69 (http://www.whatdoesjohnknow.com/2009/01/20/review-rogue-dead-guy-whiskey/). Maybe it has improved since?

imbibehour
10-12-2010, 14:33
I reviewed it shortly after it first came out. Not a fan. Gave it a 69 (http://www.whatdoesjohnknow.com/2009/01/20/review-rogue-dead-guy-whiskey/). Maybe it has improved since?

I enjoyed it but found it very buttery sweet when I tried it at the Rouge Ale House in Portland OR. Very different, but I agree it's pricey.