PDA

View Full Version : New here...Hello

Avi
10-03-2009, 21:29
Well...what to say? I retired fairly young thanks to advice given to me by a great father. So, I'm fortunate to have time to enjoy my fish tanks which have long been a great source of enjoyment for me and also to travel to Europe where I find subjects for my painting...old world architectural subjects are my passion.

But...the bourbon.

I've long been having a bourbon or two when the occasion presented itself. I drank a good number of the generally available bourbons, like Bakers...Bookers...Knob Creek, etc. And, always...always...on ice. I did enjoy them...until the ice began to melt. Then I just drank. But, about a year ago, I was at some reception and decided to order a bourbon...neat. WOWOWOW. That's when I became a bourbon drinker. It was like a revelation. So, now I drink it that way and it's been a new world. Retirement, hobbies, travel...and my bourbon. Life's good.

I've just recently found this forum/website and I've been looking around for recommendations and I have my list. This is a treasure trove of experience here and everyone here seems to be the kind of person that enjoys bourbon...and life. Good for you folks.

p_elliott
10-03-2009, 23:06
Welcome aboard sounds like your enjoying your retirement to the fullest, good for you. You've already found your way into the gazebo for chat officially it's Thursday and Sunday night's but you never know when you might find someone in there. Don't be afraid to post we like to hear every one's opinions so post often. If you have a question ask away someone will answer, have fun and make some new friends.

Avi
10-04-2009, 08:26
Thanks for the welcome. I'm preparing for a new bottle this coming week...having looked around here, like I said. The problem I'm having is that the list I've come up with from good things said about available bourbons is so big, I don't know how to choose. Hehe...That should be the biggest problem a bourbon fan ever has.

spun_cookie
10-04-2009, 09:00
Retirement is good.... Not sure I will ever get to, but hey... I will at least have enough bourbon left over for one hell of a party at my funeral...

Welcome abourd and enjoy the sweet rewards of retirment....

mobourbon
10-04-2009, 10:30
Welcome Avi!

I retired last year as a liquor store manager in PA. I was very fortunate to find a job as a tour guide at Buffalo Trace. It's not really a job. It's being able to talk about one of my passions. Come to KY some time and tour the Bourbon Trail and see the bourbon being made. Again, welcome!

unclebunk
10-04-2009, 10:41
Welcome aboard, Avi. Sounds like you're off to a good start with your bourbon selections. I had the same problem of not knowing where to begin, so I bought a half dozen bottles to start my collection and began to compare and contrast various bourbons and ryes. I'm one of those who happens to find something nice about virtually every whiskey I drink, so it wasn't hard to get rolling. (Forget about "good," "better," "best"--it's ALL good!) Do a little research on the site and check out some of the recommendations for newbies. And remember three things: ask loads of questions when you feel the need to, don't be mislead into thinking that you have to spend a lot of money to get great bourbon, and, most of all, have fun with friends and family when you're sampling new things. Good luck!

fishnbowljoe
10-04-2009, 15:32
Welcome aboard, Avi. Sounds like you're off to a good start with your bourbon selections. I had the same problem of not knowing where to begin, so I bought a half dozen bottles to start my collection and began to compare and contrast various bourbons and ryes. I'm one of those who happens to find something nice about virtually every whiskey I drink, so it wasn't hard to get rolling. (Forget about "good," "better," "best"--it's ALL good!) Do a little research on the site and check out some of the recommendations for newbies. And remember three things: ask loads of questions when you feel the need to, don't be mislead into thinking that you have to spend a lot of money to get great bourbon, and, most of all, have fun with friends and family when you're sampling new things. Good luck!

Yeah, what he said.:grin: Can't add anything more other than welcome to SB. Joe

Avi
10-04-2009, 17:02
Thanks to you all for the nice welcomes...and advice that will be followed, too. But before I do, I'm finishing a bottle of Irish this evening, which I have to say, isn't disagreeable at all. Well, some new bourbon tomorrow or Tuesday, so cheers.

Tennessee Dave
10-04-2009, 17:22
Welcome to the group. Enjoy yourself here.:grin:

p_elliott
10-05-2009, 09:01
Welcome Avi!

I retired last year as a liquor store manager in PA. I was very fortunate to find a job as a tour guide at Buffalo Trace. It's not really a job. It's being able to talk about one of my passions. Come to KY some time and tour the Bourbon Trail and see the bourbon being made. Again, welcome!

I can attest he's a hell of a tour guide. Let us know what you picked up.

mobourbon
10-05-2009, 19:29
I can attest he's a hell of a tour guide.

Paul, you're making me blush. :blush:
I just like to talk about bourbon.

Avi
10-10-2009, 20:32
This week's acquisitions....Jameson's SP 12yo...Sazerac Rye...and...Buffalo Trace 90-proof. I've had occasion to drink the Jameson's and the Sazerac and they're both to be recommended...the Sazerac's one delicious whisky that was recommended here at SB and I thank this forum for that kind of information...it's THAT good. The taste is right there, unavoidably delicious and I was so happy with the experience. I have a date with a Buffalo tomorrow evening.