PDA

View Full Version : Pretenders

eneely
10-08-2009, 06:42
Hi, everyone. New on this forum. This thread might already exist somewhere, but I didn't see it. What bourbons do not rate their hype and price?

theDon
10-08-2009, 08:29
Yeah that horse has been beat dead many times.

But just to get people riled up I'll say everything Jim Beam has to offer!:shocked:

p_elliott
10-08-2009, 08:37
Don

You knew just where to find that dead horse :slappin: I think I've beat him a few times myself.

sailor22
10-08-2009, 09:06
if eneely is new to the complexities of label ownership it might help him if specifics were listed -
so the Beam list would include; (http://www.beamglobal.com/cs/brands) -- Ri, Basil Hayden's, Old Overholt, Red Stagg, Old Crow, Knob Creek, Jim Beam, Old Grandad, Makers, Bakers and Bookers.

Without considering price I would disagree on the Bakers and Bookers - I like them both and as a bonus I can usually get them in a bar.

DeanSheen
10-08-2009, 10:40
Step away from the ODG 114. That's some damn fine stuff.

(if I keep this up I may have to get a tattoo)

eneely
10-08-2009, 15:37
if eneely is new to the complexities of label ownership it might help him if specifics were listed -
so the Beam list would include; (http://www.beamglobal.com/cs/brands) -- Ri, Basil Hayden's, Old Overholt, Red Stagg, Old Crow, Knob Creek, Jim Beam, Old Grandad, Makers, Bakers and Bookers.

Without considering price I would disagree on the Bakers and Bookers - I like them both and as a bonus I can usually get them in a bar.

Yeah, I had no idea that all of those are from Beam, and include several brands that I've heard described as top shelf, Makers and Knob Creek especially. I found Knob Creek to be too sweet for my tastes.

What about Woodford Reserve? Not bad, but I can't say I'm overly impressed. Or maybe someone can point me to a good thread, if this is rehashing old business.

Phantos
10-08-2009, 18:54
Step away from the ODG 114. That's some damn fine stuff.
So much so that I would even consider getting a tatt of ol' Basil on me as well! :grin:

ILLfarmboy
10-08-2009, 19:38
Yeah, I had no idea that all of those are from Beam, and include several brands that I've heard described as top shelf, Makers and Knob Creek especially. I found Knob Creek to be too sweet for my tastes.

What about Woodford Reserve? Not bad, but I can't say I'm overly impressed. Or maybe someone can point me to a good thread, if this is rehashing old business.

It might be worth pointing out that Maker's Mark was only recently, a couple or so years ago, acquired by Beam. It isn't like there is a familial taste relationship between the two from the yeast, the stills or distillation techniques and so forth. And of course MM is a wheater.

Knob Creek, on the other hand, is a creation of beam using the same distillate that also becomes Beam White, Beam Black or Booker's. Baker's uses a diferent yeast, if I remember right. And Old Grandad uses a diferent, higher rye, mashbill but the same yeast as BW, BB and Booker's.

And no, I'm not impressed with Woodford Reserve, either.

nor02lei
10-09-2009, 00:56
I would say Blantonís! Seem to me that you pay mostly for the horse on the cork. The uncut version is real horrible. This said this is a Japanese owned label but made by BT.

Leif

sailor22
10-09-2009, 06:29
The most egregious pretender in my book is Basil Hayden. It's simply Old Grand Dad with water added to lower the proof - then add a fancy label, call it a premium and jack up the price. The very definition of a pretender.

tommyboy38
10-09-2009, 08:15
I'll put in a vote for Basil Hayden. Most of your money pays for the fancy bottle.

OscarV
10-09-2009, 12:32
I'll put in a vote for Basil Hayden. Most of your money pays for the fancy bottle.

Yep, much a-do about nothing.

tommyboy38
10-09-2009, 19:41
There's one more that I haven't tried but the Jefferson's that usually goes for $30 or so is only 81 proof IIRC. Seems pricey to me.

unclebunk
10-09-2009, 20:33
The most egregious pretender in my book is Basil Hayden. It's simply Old Grand Dad with water added to lower the proof - then add a fancy label, call it a premium and jack up the price. The very definition of a pretender.

I couldn't agree more. I happen to like Booker's and Knob Creek quite a bit but have always thought that BH is flat out lame.

ILLfarmboy
10-10-2009, 09:52
Basil Hayden should be henceforth known as "The Great Pretender".

Big TR
10-10-2009, 14:09
Basil Hayden should be henceforth known as "The Great Pretender".

I second this motion.

To respond to the other post, I found Jefferson's to be basically undrinkable.

ShewDawg
10-12-2009, 15:54
I can definitely agree with the Basil's, not much going on there for me.

I would like to nominate the Four Roses Small Batch. I really like the Single Barrel, but the Small Batch doesn't do anything for me and it's only a few bucks cheaper in most places.

OscarV
10-13-2009, 10:30
I would like to nominate the Four Roses Small Batch. I really like the Single Barrel, but the Small Batch doesn't do anything for me and it's only a few bucks cheaper in most places.

Sadly I agree, I love every bottle of 4R I have ever had except Small Batch.
Sorry Mr. Rutledge but you are still my hero.

unclebunk
10-13-2009, 13:17
Sadly I agree, I love every bottle of 4R I have ever had except Small Batch.
Sorry Mr. Rutledge but you are still my hero.

I'm afraid the same holds true for me as well. I've thoroughly enjoyed every bottle of Single Barrel I've ever had, as well as the much less expensive Yellow Label. But I've had two bottles of Small Batch now that didn't excite me in any way. Not bad, mind you, but nothing I care to buy again.

ShewDawg
10-14-2009, 06:44
I'm afraid the same holds true for me as well. I've thoroughly enjoyed every bottle of Single Barrel I've ever had, as well as the much less expensive Yellow Label. But I've had two bottles of Small Batch now that didn't excite me in any way. Not bad, mind you, but nothing I care to buy again.

A lot of folks are talking up the "Yellow Label", I will have to give it a shot here.

DeanSheen
10-14-2009, 06:52
I have to defend the Small Batch's honor. I love that whiskey, it reminds me allot of Yamazaki and slightly of pure Irish pot still like Red Breast, the latter more in the mouthfeel and finish.

I can see why Bourbon drinkers are not in love with it because it's really not very bourbony. It's lighter and flowery, not things typically associated with bourbon.

Anyways, PM me and I'll send you my address for any open bottles that need disposed of..........

Joshua
10-14-2009, 13:09
Basil Hayden at the top of that list.

(read it all before you scream at me, I'm look at YOU JOE) Eagle Rare 10/90, for $40. I have a bottle I got for $20, amazing deal. $22, you bet I'll buy it. A 1.75 for $42? In the bunker.

But $40+ (or even $46.99) for a 750, you have to be kidding me. I bought a bottle of ER17 for the same price as I've seen 10/90s for.

$50 for new Wild Turkey KS? NO. $40 for the dusty I got in Texas- HELL YES. Night and day between new and older...

The moral of the story- some bourbons are great at once price, and ridiculous at another. I love ETL at $26 a bottle, but I'm not paying the $55 at the same store for Blantons, which I don't care for as much as ETL. Sometimes you have to judge juice by individual stores crazy prices and not what you COULD get them for.