PDA

View Full Version : Hello, New guy from michigan

thunderhead
10-12-2009, 05:13
Well im probally younger then most people here, im 27, from michigan, i use to drink a lot of bourbon in the army actually wild turkey to be exact a good friend of mine got me into it. well since ive gotten out ive been more of a beer drinker but a few days ago i went to the store and bought 9 bottles of bourbon, just stuff ive been wanting to try, well that was thursday planned on friday to have a few drinks and got sick as a dog and now monday im at work still sick and 9 upopen bottles of burbon on my shelf at home lol anyways i just plan on learning and reading and just wanted to say hello to everyone.

Josh
10-12-2009, 05:20
Drat! more competition!:lol:

Welcome thunderhead! We have a very active and gabby Michigan contingent here. Hopefully we'll have a get together soon and we can meet in the flesh! Meanwhile keep your dusty-hunting out of SE Oakland Co.;)

OscarV
10-12-2009, 06:21
Hey thunderhead, welcome aboard.
From Detroit to Lansing to Jackson and more inside that triangle we have MI bourbon lovers here in the land of Canadian whiskey.
So what 9 bottles did you buy and why?

Dr. François
10-12-2009, 06:34
Welcome to the group!

Special Reserve
10-12-2009, 06:44
thunderhead,

Welcome aboard! Where are you from? I grew up in the thumb but I've been in metro Detroit for more than 40 years.

Along with Oscar, I too was wondering what your tastes are?

Will

thunderhead
10-12-2009, 13:33
thunderhead,

Welcome aboard! Where are you from? I grew up in the thumb but I've been in metro Detroit for more than 40 years.

Along with Oscar, I too was wondering what your tastes are?

Will

LOL i live in the thumb, actually the tip of it haha where were you from?

the bottles i bought and i know they aren't all bourbon are.

jim beam white lable - bought this for mixing

red stag- also bought for mixing

wild turkey 80proof - i use to drink 101 a lot and i though 80 would be smother to get back into it and i was wrong lol from now on its always 101.

wild turkey american honey - i don't know anything about this

knobb creek - i hear good thing but ive never tried it

Chivas Regal 12 year - heard good things but never tried

johnny walker red lable- heard its a good mixing drink

makers mark - ive hand it mixed and remembered i really enjoyed it

jameson- popual irish whiskey ive never had

as ive mentioned in another post i made im just starting to try to drink these straight i was always more of a party drinker mixing with coke or taking shots so im wanting to do more sipping

OscarV
10-12-2009, 13:56
My young Grasshopper friend.
It is very good that you found SB.com.
From the looks of that list you need to hit the books.
I suggest you go to the thread "Straight Bourbon Of The Month", it is the first one in the Bourbon Discussion catagory.
Each month a different bourbon is discussed, I learned a lot there when I first joined up.

Special Reserve
10-12-2009, 14:31
LOL i live in the thumb, actually the tip of it haha where were you from?

I grew up outside of Ruth. By the tip I presume you mean Port Austin.

What's happening up there other than tourism and farming?

It seem that I only get up there for reunions and funerals.

The sad truth is, as you already know, there is not much good bourbon up there. Bay City may be your best bet for good variety.

Will

thunderhead
10-13-2009, 05:03
I grew up outside of Ruth. By the tip I presume you mean Port Austin.

What's happening up there other than tourism and farming?

It seem that I only get up there for reunions and funerals.

The sad truth is, as you already know, there is not much good bourbon up there. Bay City may be your best bet for good variety.

Will

the first part is right nothing but farms lol yeah i know where ruth is i know a few people from ruth im sure at least one of them is your relitive haha. anyways theres a few guys from detroit (not that it matters but 3 or 4 arab guys) that have opened up different party stores here in the thumb and they all sell tons of import beer and liquore so actually our booze selection here is really good and anything you request they will bring back from detroit the next day.

thunderhead
10-13-2009, 05:10
My young Grasshopper friend.
It is very good that you found SB.com.
From the looks of that list you need to hit the books.
I suggest you go to the thread "Straight Bourbon Of The Month", it is the first one in the Bourbon Discussion catagory.
Each month a different bourbon is discussed, I learned a lot there when I first joined up.

so out of all i bought none of them are very good? (wow lol what a waste of money)
so if you could recomed me one good bottle of bourbon for under 50 bucks a bottle thats pretty common to find what would it be? preferable something a little easier to sip

ACDetroit
10-13-2009, 05:23
Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare 10 yr Single Barrel, any Van Winkle but that would exceed the $50 unless you can get them to bring you an Old Rip 10/90 or a 10/107. Maybe Old Grand Dad 114, Weller Special Reserve, Old Weller Antique and maybe a bottle of Sazerac Rye. That would be were I would start if I had to get stuff that is available anywhere. Oh and a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 year old as well. If you get into higher proof try Wild Turkey Rare Breed and always go back to the big WT 101.

Hope that helps

Tony

Dr. François
10-13-2009, 06:31
Good list, Tony. You're going to scare this guy off! :bigeyes:

I would recommend two bottles to start: Elijah Craig 12 Year Old (MI Code 85136) and Weller Special Reserve (MI Code 92876). I could be happy with just these two bottles. Of course, I want to be MORE than just happy, so I buy lots of other stuff, too. :-)
Give the liquor store guys the code, not just the name, or you will likely get the wrong thing (EC has an 18YO version that novices don't usually like and Weller has several other expressions that aren't as approachable). Each bottle is around 20 bucks.

The first is a good example of a well-aged rye-recipe and the second is a great example of a middle-aged, light wheat-recipe. You'll love both, I'm sure.

So, my suggestion, print this message and take it with you to the store:

Elijah Craig 12 Year Old (MI Code 85136)
Weller Special Reserve (MI Code 92876)

All of my reserach is from here:
http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/lcc_code/sr_lcc.asp

thunderhead
10-13-2009, 07:16
isn't the makers mark a good whiskey? ive read a lot of great reviews on here and it sounds like its the best one i bought for drinking straight

p_elliott
10-13-2009, 07:32
The Markers Mark and the Knob Creek were fine from there it went down hill. Do some research on here, you got the boys (and girl I didn't forget you Amy) from Michigan to take you under their wing. They'll have you right on track in no time. You never can go wrong with WT 101 but leave the 80 on the shelf. It's not bourbon but give the WT 101 Rye a shot the first word out of your mouth will be WOW I promise.

smokinjoe
10-13-2009, 07:41
isn't the makers mark a good whiskey? ive read a lot of great reviews on here and it sounds like its the best one i bought for drinking straight

Maker's is better than good, it's very good, if not excellent. There are a number of reasons that Maker's takes the brunt of disdain on these boards. Some of it may be merited. Most of it however, IMO, is a very large dose of green Kool-Aid from "those that profess they really know". :rolleyes:

thunderhead
10-13-2009, 08:30
Maker's is better than good, it's very good, if not excellent. There are a number of reasons that Maker's takes the brunt of disdain on these boards. Some of it may be merited. Most of it however, IMO, is a very large dose of green Kool-Aid from "those that profess they really know". :rolleyes:

can you explain what you mean?

smokinjoe
10-13-2009, 10:06
can you explain what you mean?

Sure, Thunder. Maker's Mark is probably the most identifiable brand in Bourbonia. It's also promoted by Maker's, and generally accepted by the general bourbon drinking population (GBDP) as a premium/super-premium brand. As an enthusiast, we tend to discredit what the GBDP considers "Premium". I mean , if Joe Blow thinks it's premium, then what the heck do I bring to the party? And, the first and easiest way to get some "street cred" on the bourbon site is to dismiss Maker's as not a premium brand, if not outright calling it "bad". So, it's "poo-poo'd" for any number of reasons. Some real, most created. Some say it's over-marketed. (Don't get it. A couple of billboards, magazine ad placements and loyalty club is not oversaturation to me.) Some say it's too expensive for "what it is". (What, low $20ish, depending on where you live?) Some don't like the yarn that Bill Samuels has spun about the creation of the brand, and the whole "bread" thing. (Read any number of bourbon labels, and tell me about yarns.) Some think it's not as good as it used to be. (This one kills me. When people who just started drinking bourbon 3 years ago, opine about the "degradation" of MM, I just roll my eyes. There is a small handful of long-term members on this board, who if they say they thought it was better years ago, then I'll take their word for it. But, there aren't many of those folks.) All of these negatives bounce around the "echo chamber" so much, it becomes very difficult for the new member to separate the wheat from the chaff. (Get it? Wheat...chaff..Huh? Get it? ;) )It soon becomes "the in thing" to diss Maker's, too. I cry FOUL!

I'm not saying it's the world's greatest bourbon. But, I do think it is very, very good. Great nose, flavorful and smooth, and finishes nicely. Extremely consistent. And, the packaging is very nice. Yes, I'm shallow :) At the end of the day, if you like it, fine. If you don't, fine too. But, make it your own decision, and not based on what the jaded bourbintellagista expects.

thunderhead
10-13-2009, 10:30
LOL i get everything you said but that bread and yarns

OscarV
10-13-2009, 10:34
The MM dogging may seem like the popular thing to do but I am not into trends.
MM has a taste that reminds me of Bud Light advertising, which is "The New Look Of Drinkability"
Drinkability?
Sounds like it's for people who don't want to taste their bourbon or beer but want to get drunk.

thunderhead
10-13-2009, 10:42
MM has a taste that reminds me of Bud Light advertising, which is "The New Look Of Drinkability"
Drinkability?
Sounds like it's for people who don't want to taste their bourbon or beer but want to get drunk.

so you don't like makers mark?

smokinjoe
10-13-2009, 10:48
Drinkability?

No, Oscar. I like Maker's, and a matter of fact, I'll enjoy a Bud Light too. I don't drink them because I "want to get drunk". :rolleyes:

OscarV
10-13-2009, 10:52
so you don't like makers mark?

It's just OK, I haven't bought a bottle a bottle in years, there is just to much better stuff out there.
I did however have one on the rocks at a resturant before dinner last Friday (cuz there have been a lot of discussion about it here lately) and it just reinforced my opinion of it's smooth drinkability.

thunderhead
10-13-2009, 10:52
No, Oscar. I like Maker's, and a matter of fact, I'll enjoy a Bud Light too. I don't drink them because I "want to get drunk". :rolleyes:

what did you mean by yarns and bread?

OscarV
10-13-2009, 10:59

I wasn't pointing you out Joe.
There is a time and place for everything and I just don't seem to have the time or get to the place where I want a MM.
But keep drinking that Bud Light, I love the $$$$$$$$$$.:grin:

BTW, does the Flying Biscuit still serve the Fried Green Tomato BLT?

smokinjoe
10-13-2009, 11:11
what did you mean by yarns and bread?

Bill Samuels tells the story (yarn) of how the wheat recipe for Maker's Mark was created. He says that his father "developed a new recipe based on locally grown corn and malted barley coupled with gentle winter wheat, not the traditional and harsher grain, rye. He did this without a distillery. He baked bread in the family kitchen, experimenting with different grains to come to this conclusion." Story, yarn, fable, doo-doo, ca-ca, poo-poo...At least, a healthy wink in there.

smokinjoe
10-13-2009, 11:20
I wasn't pointing you out Joe.
There is a time and place for everything and I just don't seem to have the time or get to the place where I want a MM.
But keep drinking that Bud Light, I love the $$$$$$$$$$.:grin:

BTW, does the Flying Biscuit still serve the Fried Green Tomato BLT?

No worries, my friend. Ya know, I haven't been to FB in several weeks. I'm sure it's still on the menu, but I've been partial lately to the shrimp & grits. With a big ol sweet tea. Fried green maters on the side. :yum:

thunderhead
10-13-2009, 11:21
how long do you guys recomend you keep these bottles open for, ive seached and read a lot about 3/4 bottle up to a year 1/2 bottle a lot less then 1/4 bottle a month or two, well i was thinking about opening up all my whiskey other then the redstag and the honey to try them all side by side but i don't want the rest to go back

figured i could try them all decide what i like the best then next time i get a few bottles i could compare them to what i found i liked the best in this batch

OscarV
10-13-2009, 11:22
but I've been partial lately to the shrimp & grits. With a big ol sweet tea. Fried green maters on the side. :yum:

Damn! That sounds perfect!!

Special Reserve
10-13-2009, 14:26
There's nothing wrong with Maker's and there is a whole lot of truth in what Joe said.

I'm not a big fan of those heavily waxed tops. I always have trouble opening them just like the broken corks with Weller Centennial.

I've kept bourbon in closed bottles for more that a year. Some bourbons improve after they are opened. I've never had any go bad. I did have a bottle of gin go bad once because I didn't have it tightly sealed and over time the alcohol evaporated.

Addition: Thinking about what Joe said makes me want to go brush my teeth and have a sample. I know it will be good.

Josh
10-13-2009, 17:58
There's nothing wrong with Maker's and there is a whole lot of truth in what Joe said.

Ditto. Joe is his usual eloquent self. It's that NE Central Indiana education. :D

Maker's is a good whisk(e)y, and I'm not just saying that because Bill Samuels touched me the last time I toured there.:bigeyes:

bonneamie
10-13-2009, 18:13
MM to me is the optimal bourbon to drink when you're out at a bar because it's often the only one available or identifiable. I never buy it by the bottle, because like Oscar said, there's lots better out there. But until you know what you like better, it's fine. On the other hand, the distillery is beautiful and they put on a great tour.
And, welcome from the 'girl' :grin:

thunderhead
10-14-2009, 05:38
can you buy booze online in michigan?

fishnbowljoe
10-15-2009, 14:51
Welcome aboard Thunderhead. Looks like most of the Michigan members have already chimed in. You have a bunch of great people up there to learn from. So, PAY ATTENTION DAMMIT! :slappin: Just kidding. Cheers. Joe

Josh
10-16-2009, 04:32
can you buy booze online in michigan?

I don't think so. But maybe if it's from a store in the state they might ship to you. Call a liquor store. It never hurts to ask!

ACDetroit
10-16-2009, 12:45
internet wine and spirits as well as Julio's in MA have shipped to me. I have not had tried any other stores but I know Binny's can not.

Hope that helps.

Tony

thunderhead
10-17-2009, 08:51
ok well ive tried 3 so far and i plan to test the rest out tonight ;)
so far.........
also im not drinking anything neat quite yet im reallying enjoying these in a rock glass i think they call it with 2 ice cubes. my glass is actually a wild turkey glass i got in a WT 101 special i bought in the army in 02 i think it came with the bottle and 2 short thick glasses.

jim beam white lable -

red stag- horrible WTF is this i though i might mix it after a sip and i think i made cough syrup my GF woudn't even drink it and shes a huge pucker fan lol so down the drain for this

wild turkey 80proof - now this is good i use to drink a lot of 101 but mixed WT is deffently a little more raw tasting i think but still very good looking forward to getting another bottle of 101 in a few days also going to try the rare breed

wild turkey american honey -

knobb creek -

Chivas Regal 12 year -

johnny walker red lable-

makers mark - OMFG is all i can say this stuff is so good i planed on tasting more of my whiskey lastnight but i just keep refilling the glass with MM this stuff is great, its going to be hard for anything to beat this for awhile i think

jameson-

unclebunk
10-17-2009, 09:43
ok well ive tried 3 so far and i plan to test the rest out tonight ;)
so far.........
also im not drinking anything neat quite yet im reallying enjoying these in a rock glass i think they call it with 2 ice cubes. my glass is actually a wild turkey glass i got in a WT 101 special i bought in the army in 02 i think it came with the bottle and 2 short thick glasses.

jim beam white lable -

red stag- horrible WTF is this i though i might mix it after a sip and i think i made cough syrup my GF woudn't even drink it and shes a huge pucker fan lol so down the drain for this

wild turkey 80proof - now this is good i use to drink a lot of 101 but mixed WT is deffently a little more raw tasting i think but still very good looking forward to getting another bottle of 101 in a few days also going to try the rare breed

wild turkey american honey -

knobb creek -

Chivas Regal 12 year -

johnny walker red lable-

makers mark - OMFG is all i can say this stuff is so good i planed on tasting more of my whiskey lastnight but i just keep refilling the glass with MM this stuff is great, its going to be hard for anything to beat this for awhile i think

Well, that's a nice collection to start things off with. If I may, I would suggest trying to resist your natural instinct to grade all that you've bought as "good," "better," and "best." One thing you'll learn as you go along in your bourbon hunting is that two whiskies can be equally outstanding but for entirely different reasons. For example, you may like things a bit sweeter, so will initially favor wheaters like Maker's Mark, the Weller line and Van Winkle juice. Consequently, you may judge bourbon with high rye content, like Wild Turkey or Bulleit, as inferior in your mind because they may seem "harsh" by comparison to the wheaters. But as your palette adjusts to different flavors, you may find that you quite like heavily ryed bourbons, and so will have a different opinion of them over time. I guess what I'm saying is, just keep an open mind when you compare and contrast your bourbons, as your tastes will no doubt shift as you go along.

Glad you love the Maker's Mark. It is a solid, approachable bourbon and a good one to have around on your bar. You may find the Jim Beam White a bit bland by comparison and the Knob Creek a heavy hitter, but they all have their virtues. Have fun with your tastings and be sure to ask lots of questions. :grin:

P.S.--I think the Red Stag is dogshit too. I wouldn't pour it on an ant hill. You may also find the WT American Honey really sweet but it makes a nice mixer and my wife loves it. And next time, go Johnnie Walker Black instead of JW Red. It's light years better and affordable too.

thunderhead
10-17-2009, 09:47
P.S.--I think the Red Stag is dogshit too. I wouldn't pour it on an ant hill. You may also find the WT American Honey really sweet but it makes a nice mixer and my wife loves it. And next time, go Johnnie Walker Black instead of JW Red. It's light years better and affordable too.

yeah i didn't realise that the WT honey and the stagg was ment for mixing when i was at the store lol i'll have a few sips of the honey but i hope the GF like its as a mixer

p_elliott
10-17-2009, 21:42
I read somewhere where the WT American Honey goes well with Lemonade I haven't tried it.

ACDetroit
10-18-2009, 18:22
I read somewhere where the WT American Honey goes well with Lemonade I haven't tried it.

Yeah and Red Stagg goes well with "scrubbing bubbles toilet cleanser", They both clean the pot when you flush.

Tony

thunderhead
10-19-2009, 05:24
well i tried the rest this weekend and besides the knobb creek being really good but a bit stronger then im use to the rest is trash the jim beam i can drink mixed with coke and isn't that bad but its no MM thats for sure
the jameson is really good mixed as well but not quite as good straight but its drinkable
the Chivas Regal and johnny walker is horrible, i though well at least i can mix what i don't like..... well i was wrong i can't stand the taste of this stuff mixed even so i guess i know im not a scotch drinker, and irish wiskey is OK but i'll stick with bourbon for awhile

p_elliott
10-19-2009, 07:54
Yeah and Red Stagg goes well with "scrubbing bubbles toilet cleanser", They both clean the pot when you flush.

Tony

Tony would that be before or after you've drank it.

ACDetroit
10-19-2009, 17:11
Tony would that be before or after you've drank it.

Paul, of course before, you know I would not be drinking Red Stagg when I have Basil Hayden open on the bar. :rolleyes:

Tony

ErichPryde
10-19-2009, 19:40
Paul, of course before, you know I would not be drinking Red Stagg when I have Basil Hayden open on the bar. :rolleyes:

Tony

uhhh.... that sounds like a pack of wolves and a precipice to me.

bonneamie
10-20-2009, 05:13

Tony

As a matter of fact, I DO have Basil Hayden open on the bar (long story).

Josh
10-20-2009, 06:41
As a matter of fact, I DO have Basil Hayden open on the bar (long story).

It's not bad for a $20 whiskey. Trouble is, it's $38.:skep:

ACDetroit
10-22-2009, 17:06
uhhh.... that sounds like a pack of wolves and a precipice to me.

Erich, you would be correct sir! If put in that situation I would jump! :shocked:

Tony