PDA

View Full Version : Contenders

eneely
10-12-2009, 14:09
As a followup to my pretenders thread, I'd like to know what less expensive bourbons will contend with the pricier ones. If there are some expensive bourbons that don't measure up, there must be some cheap to mid-range that are better than you'd think from the price.

OscarV
10-12-2009, 14:30
Four Roses Single Barrel and Elijah Craig 12yo.
They more than measure up to expensive top shelfers.

joelh
10-12-2009, 14:49
I am a noobie myself, but I am really enjoying Four Roses Single Barrel and Weller antique 107. At $21/bottle, the Weller seems hard to beat.

unclebunk
10-12-2009, 15:46
I am a noobie myself, but I am really enjoying Four Roses Single Barrel and Weller antique 107. At $21/bottle, the Weller seems hard to beat.

You've got that right, Joelh. OWA has many fans here and is a real bargain for the price. My favorite inexpensive bourbon and rye would have to be Very Old Barton and Rittenhouse Rye, respectively. I could pick up both for under $15 until recently.

jburlowski
10-12-2009, 16:01
Simply put: WT101... an "in your face", honest bourbon.

birdman1099
10-12-2009, 16:45
In one corner i have Weller SR, and Weller Antique 107.(note the lack of age statement):rolleyes:

and in the other I have Ancient Ancient Age 10 yr. and WT 101.

All are serious contenders......

NOW LETS GET IT ON !!!!!!!

Josh
10-12-2009, 17:20
Old Forester Signature
Elijah Craig 12
Jim Beam Black
AAA 10 y/o
4 Roses
VOB BiB
Old Weller Antique

Now in the words of Cpt. Tenneil...GIT IT ON!

smokinjoe
10-12-2009, 18:15
I'll put OGD 114 up against any bottle, anywhere, anytime.

unclebunk
10-12-2009, 18:54
Old Forester Signature
Elijah Craig 12
Jim Beam Black
AAA 10 y/o
4 Roses
VOB BiB
Old Weller Antique

That's a mighty fine list of affordable, excellent quality bourbon. I always have a 1.75L bottle of OF Signature on hand because my friends and I fly through it. EC12, VOB and OWA are also regulars on my bar. Beam Black doesn't get a lot of love around here but it should. The juice is much better than it was a few years ago, though I must admit that I don't buy it often because there are others that I prefer at the same price point.

I'll put OGD 114 up against any bottle, anywhere, anytime. You've got that right, Joe. I've often served OGD 114 from a nice crystal decanter for friends and family and they were convinced they were drinking a super premium. Great stuff at a great price!

ratcheer
10-13-2009, 03:46
I'll second the nominations of Wild Turkey 101 and Old Grand Dad 114.

Tim

independant
10-13-2009, 03:57
I will stand it the corner of WT101 and OWA 7/107 but will also like to add to the mix ETL. A Single Barrel that I have never heard a soul clam "bad bottle" on. Always there to deliver.

p_elliott
10-13-2009, 07:13
You know I'm going to add my 2 cents worth on the WT 101 your not going to find a better bourbon for the price. I'll also seconding the OWA 107. And I would like to add WT 101 Rye to the mix.

fishnbowljoe
10-13-2009, 14:31
I'm gonna go with all BT stuff here. Weller SR, OWA, Weller 12, BT, ER 10/90 and ETL. I still have to get a bottle of WT 101. I've had a few tastes here and there and I like it, but I'll have to get a bottle so I can get a little better feel for it. Joe

sailor22
10-13-2009, 14:38
My over achievers list includes
(in no particular order)

Pikesville Rye
Four Roses Single Barrel
Old Weller Antique
Elija Craig 12
Evan Williams 1783
Elmer T Lee
Ezra Brooks Single Barrel 12 yr
Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond.

OscarV
10-13-2009, 14:44
And I would like to add WT 101 Rye to the mix.

Good call Dude, regardless of the type of whiskey, the WT Rye is a classic whiskey.

unclebunk
10-13-2009, 15:40
Good call Dude, regardless of the type of whiskey, the WT Rye is a classic whiskey.

One of my favorites, especially for the price. Smokes the Russell's Reserve Rye, IMHO. I love alternating between the WT Rye and Rittenhouse BIB. Both are killers in my view and amongst the best values out there.

eneely
10-14-2009, 05:37
One of my favorites, especially for the price. Smokes the Russell's Reserve Rye, IMHO. I love alternating between the WT Rye and Rittenhouse BIB. Both are killers in my view and amongst the best values out there.

Lots of great recommendations here. Looks like I need to make another trip to the store. I've got to find more storage space for my liquor. I can buy it quicker than I can drink it. Which is a good thing, actually.

eneely
10-14-2009, 06:26
Going over the NC price list, I cannot find many of your suggestions. Damned archaic NC ABC system...

All the same, here's my next shopping list:

Four Roses Small Batch
Elijah Craig 12 Y
Evan Williams 1783
Ancient Ancient Age
Wild Turkey 101
Wild Turkey 101 Rye
Old Weller 107

smokinjoe
10-14-2009, 06:31
Lots of great recommendations here. Looks like I need to make another trip to the store. I've got to find more storage space for my liquor. I can buy it quicker than I can drink it. Which is a good thing, actually.

Lack of storage? That's why they have Bunker Improvement Loans! :D

I see from your other post that you're in NC. Which part?

ShewDawg
10-14-2009, 06:41
Echo a lot of what the folks prior have said...here are my contenders

Bourbon
- AAA 10yr if you can find it
- VA Gentlement Small Batch is very good, and turned a couple of other folks onto it. Cannot go wrong ~20
- HH BIBs are very good, a go-to pour for me
- 1792 is a great buy in the mid-to-upper 20s.

Rye
- Prefer the Ritt BIB over the WT Rye, but WT Rye is a great value as well

p_elliott
10-14-2009, 07:33
I'm gonna go with all BT stuff here. Weller SR, OWA, Weller 12, BT, ER 10/90 and ETL. I still have to get a bottle of WT 101. I've had a few tastes here and there and I like it, but I'll have to get a bottle so I can get a little better feel for it. Joe

Joe if you have not sat down and had a long in dept conversation with the Turkey. Then you ain't tried Turkey. Once you do the bird will be calling you. Gobble Gobble

eneely
10-14-2009, 07:52
Lack of storage? That's why they have Bunker Improvement Loans! :D

I see from your other post that you're in NC. Which part?

A bunker is a good idea. Keep it away from my daughters when they come over while we're away.

The Raleigh area.

smokinjoe
10-14-2009, 08:52
A bunker is a good idea. Keep it away from my daughters when they come over while we're away.

The Raleigh area.

Well, Raleigh's only 3 hrs from Charlotte/Fort Mill, SC. If you feel like making a road trip, you can head to to Frugal Macoogal's in Fort Mill. They have a very good selection of bourbons that aren't available in NC. You get off at the Carrowinds exit on I-77. It's right off the highway.

As far as NC goes, try the Virgin 101. It's cheap, it's good, and it's available in NC for around $13, or so. I prefer it to WT 101.

eneely
10-14-2009, 09:15
Well, Raleigh's only 3 hrs from Charlotte/Fort Mill, SC. If you feel like making a road trip, you can head to to Frugal Macoogal's in Fort Mill. They have a very good selection of bourbons that aren't available in NC. You get off at the Carrowinds exit on I-77. It's right off the highway.

As far as NC goes, try the Virgin 101. It's cheap, it's good, and it's available in NC for around $13, or so. I prefer it to WT 101.

Added to the list...thanks...missed that one the first time through the thread. Damn, this is going to cost me...

Four Roses Small Batch
Elijah Craig 12 Y
Evan Williams 1783
Ancient Ancient Age
Wild Turkey 101
Wild Turkey 101 Rye
Old Weller 107
Virgin 101

smokinjoe
10-14-2009, 09:26
Added to the list...thanks...missed that one the first time through the thread. Damn, this is going to cost me...

Four Roses Small Batch
Elijah Craig 12 Y
Evan Williams 1783
Ancient Ancient Age
Wild Turkey 101
Wild Turkey 101 Rye
Old Weller 107
Virgin 101

That's one of the things you'll notice around here. People are good at helping other people spend their money. :D

jburlowski
10-14-2009, 14:42
That's one of the things you'll notice around here. People are good at helping other people spend their money. :D

And, if called on, to help drink their bourbon.:lol:

eneely
10-14-2009, 15:39
And, if called on, to help drink their bourbon.:lol:

You know, that may be necessary. How am I going to try all these bourbons without some help drinking the mostly full bottles?

ErichPryde
10-14-2009, 21:24

Wild Turkey Rye, for a rye at that price, is the one for me. :)

Joshua
10-15-2009, 15:52
You know, that may be necessary. How am I going to try all these bourbons without some help drinking the mostly full bottles?

You end up like the rest of us with a zillion open bottles missing 3-4 drinks

Big TR
10-24-2009, 06:31
One that I like is Rowan's Creek. It's not too pricey and really gives good taste for the money.

eneely
10-24-2009, 13:05
You end up like the rest of us with a zillion open bottles missing 3-4 drinks

I can live with that, I guess. But I did decide to have a whiskey tasting and poker night at my house in November. Share the bounty.

eneely
10-24-2009, 13:07
One that I like is Rowan's Creek. It's not too pricey and really gives good taste for the money.

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the NC ABC price list, and sadly that is not carried in NC. I'll have to look for this when I'm traveling. But I don't get out much...

loose proton
10-24-2009, 17:58
Rowan Creek... I checked my larder and I don't have this one either. I don't see it listed in Virginia ABC either. Guess we'll have to go to Kentucky to try it?

Virus_Of_Life
10-25-2009, 02:52
Rowan Creek... I checked my larder and I don't have this one either. I don't see it listed in Virginia ABC either. Guess we'll have to go to Kentucky to try it?

Skip Rowan's Creek, it is a bottler specific product meaning they buy whatever bulk whiskey they can get to fill it essentially. It used to be good a few years ago during the glut when it had a 12 year old age statement (AS) on it - sometimes older - but has recently lost the AS and who knows how good it is batch to batch. Likewise Ezra B 12year Single Barrel, I had one that literally was, and I say this with a heavy heart, the worst bourbon I ever tasted and the first I actually could NOT drink.

Also Evan Williams 1783 recently lost it's AS so I would approach that with caution.

I wouldn't really consider Four Roses, especially the Single Barrel (SB), in the least expensive price range.

Many have been mentioned, so I will not list a bunch just a top few. And I'll use ~$25 as a benchmark.

Going on that the best High Proof Bourbon in this category is by far OGD 114. Then I'd say Ancient Ancient Age 10 year. Wild Turkey 101 and Old Forester 100 proof are quintessential bourbons. Either the Weller Special Reserve or the Antique 107 are the best bang for the buck wheated bourbons. I'd say 107 if it isn't too many dollars more than the Special Reserve.

>>>..... OH yeah, WELCOME TO THE SITE!

Josh
10-25-2009, 20:13
Skip Rowan's Creek, it is a bottler specific product meaning they buy whatever bulk whiskey they can get to fill it essentially...
...Going on that the best High Proof Bourbon in this category is by far OGD 114. Then I'd say Ancient Ancient Age 10 year. Wild Turkey 101 and Old Forester 100 proof are quintessential bourbons. Either the Weller Special Reserve or the Antique 107 are the best bang for the buck wheated bourbons. I'd say 107 if it isn't too many dollars more than the Special Reserve.

>>>..... OH yeah, WELCOME TO THE SITE!

I agree with 99.7945% of what Christian says (especially the "welcome to the site part). But my last bottle of Rowan's Creek was great. I would recommend it, despite it being an NDP product.

Big TR
10-26-2009, 16:11
I agree with 99.7945% of what Christian says (especially the "welcome to the site part). But my last bottle of Rowan's Creek was great. I would recommend it, despite it being an NDP product.

I must have been lucky. I've had two bottles and they were both good. I was unaware of the bottling habits of Rowan's, so I might tread carefully going forward.

I guess it's just a crap shoot. I'll keep buying until I cross a bad bottle.

sailor22
10-27-2009, 07:31
The two Rowan's I have had were good. Nothing extra special but an engaging drinker. More complexity than some at this price point. I'll keep buying them until I get a bad one.

unclebunk
10-27-2009, 07:39
The two Rowan's I have had were good. Nothing extra special but an engaging drinker. More complexity than some at this price point. I'll keep buying them until I get a bad one.

My sentiments exactly. I was pleasantly surprised by my bottle of RC, as it was slightly better than I had expected, but I feel the chances are fairly good of getting an inferior bottle down the line because the source of the juice may not be consistent from year to year. Just the same, I'm happy to own the bottle I've got and my friends enjoyed it as well.