PDA

View Full Version : Ewsb 00

independant
11-02-2009, 14:17
I had just found this bottle over the weekend. The EWSB has gotten a new label similar to the old label with a black strip across the from of the label with EVAN WILLIAMS printed across it.
When I opened it up I was really surprised at what was inside. It was not like previous EWSB that I have had in the passed. This was almost like a high rye. Lots of cinnamon and brown sugar with vanilla mixed in. I don't remember EWSB being anything like this so I did a comparison with a 95 that I had open and it was like night and day. The 95 is more fruity with a candy apple feel. I figure that without a doubt the 00 was all bernhiem distillate and the 95 came before the fire at HH. I know that these are single barrels but for them to be so different surprised me. I am a big fan of the high ryes so from what I remember about the ones that I have had 95,97,98 the 00 is by far the best.
Let me know what you guys think when you get this bottle.

PS. On a funny note whoever was working the line when my bottle went through was day dreaming. It says bottled on 3-30-00 and barreled on 10-7-09 and all the bottles on the shelf from barrel 16 were like this.

OscarV
11-02-2009, 15:16
PS. On a funny note whoever was working the line when my bottle went through was day dreaming. It says bottled on 3-30-00 and barreled on 10-7-09 and all the bottles on the shelf from barrel 16 were like this.

Hey Bettye Jo!!! What happened?

Josh
11-02-2009, 16:53
on ebay in 10...9...8...7...

ThomasH
11-02-2009, 23:02
Am waiting for the 00' to hit the shelves here. My son was born in 2000 and I want to get a bottle to someday crack open at his wedding. I bought a 96' to hopefully do the same when my daughter gets married!

Thomas

camduncan
11-03-2009, 00:02
I'm still waiting for the '99 to hit the shelves here :(

funknik
11-03-2009, 12:53
I'm still waiting for the '99 to hit the shelves here :(
No kidding -- I saw my first '99 last week.

cowdery
11-03-2009, 17:51
I believe EWSB is hand-bottled and, therefore, that line is not Bettye Jo's responsibility. (Although she can probably give a hard time to whoever did it.)

ggilbertva
11-05-2009, 18:24
I picked up a bottle today at the VA ABC. I posted a review on my blog and I repeat some of here.

The color is a moderate shade with hues of orange and gold, depending how it's held up to the light, in fact, the color caught my eye as I was reaching for the bottle in the package store.

Nosing this bourbon is interesting and I think more complex that other variants I've had over the years. My first thought when nosing was it smelled more like a rye whiskey than rye bourbon. On the nose is oak, rye, blue flowers and muted aspects of bubble gum, smoke and vanilla. On entry this bourbon is a little zinger; not overpowering but the rye is very present. Secondary attributes are a mild sweetness after the rye subsides, blue flowers, leather and mild flavors of bubble gum and smoke. I think the finish is unfortunately understated and dry as the short burst of rye on entry diminishes too quickly and leaves the drinker wishing for more.

I like the opening nose and flavors of this bourbon but wish the finish was longer. I purchased this bottle in the Virginia ABC store and paid $23.95 for it. This bottle was barreled on 3-30-00 and bottled on 10-14-09 from barrel 37.