PDA

View Full Version : Burgin Distillery

shybaby
11-09-2009, 08:22
Hello All,
I am from Lexington Ky. I came across an old abandoned distillery in Burgin Ky over the weekend. The only info I could find was I think the name was Dowling Distillers. Not much on the internet about it or I am looking in the wrong place. We actually got to go inside one of the 2 buildings and go all the way to the top. Got some cool photos of it. If anyone has any information on it or can guide me to where I can find some I would appreciate it. I would be glad to show some of the photos with the group.
Thanks tons
Ida

Josh
11-09-2009, 08:31
Hello All,
I am from Lexington Ky. I came across an old abandoned distillery in Burgin Ky over the weekend. The only info I could find was I think the name was Dowling Distillers. Not much on the internet about it or I am looking in the wrong place. We actually got to go inside one of the 2 buildings and go all the way to the top. Got some cool photos of it. If anyone has any information on it or can guide me to where I can find some I would appreciate it. I would be glad to show some of the photos with the group.
Thanks tons
Ida

There are a couple of threads on Dowling
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-654.html
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8059

In one of those threads, Julian VW, mentions that the brand was at one time bottled at his plant in Lawrenceburg, KY and that is was terrible. Chuck also reprints a reply he gave to an inquiry outling some of the history as recounted in Sam Cecil's The Evolution of the Bourbon Whiskey Industry in Kentucky. This place seems to be in the right place so you're probably correct.

Post them pictures!

shybaby
11-09-2009, 08:48
There are a couple of threads on Dowling
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-654.html
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8059

In one of those threads, Julian VW, mentions that the brand was at one time bottled at his plant in Lawrenceburg, KY and that is was terrible. Chuck also reprints a reply he gave to an inquiry outling some of the history as recounted in Sam Cecil's The Evolution of the Bourbon Whiskey Industry in Kentucky. This place seems to be in the right place so you're probably correct.

Post them pictures!
Thanks I will check the sites out. I am just curious as to what it orginally looked like and some history. I will resize some photos and post them. Thanks again

shybaby
11-09-2009, 10:04
Thanks I will check the sites out. I am just curious as to what it orginally looked like and some history. I will resize some photos and post them. Thanks again

The photos are still a little big so I am including a link for you to look at them. These are not all of them but some of the best ones.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shybaby/

Thanks again
Ida

funknik
11-09-2009, 10:22
Wow -- thanks for posting those pictures -- that was very cool!

Josh
11-09-2009, 11:32
Wow -- thanks for posting those pictures -- that was very cool!

I second that, really great photos. Was that building with the corrugated siding the rackhouse? Resembles many of the ones I've seen.

fishnbowljoe
11-09-2009, 13:27
And a third here. Nice pics Ida. You have a nice touch with a camera. Joe

shybaby
11-09-2009, 14:50
Thanks Guys, The front building was probably for holding the barrells. You could see he racks inside. We could not get in there to look around I wish we could have. Thanks Joe I am an advanced amaetuer photogrpaher and these photos were taken on one of my photography groups outings over the weekend We love finding unusual places and beautiful places to photograph. Glad you all enjoyed them. Still want to know more about the place though

bonneamie
11-10-2009, 06:04
Loved looking at the pictures. Thanks for sharing!

cowdery
11-10-2009, 16:52
Whereabouts is it?

SixDegrees
12-16-2009, 17:33
Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

ILLfarmboy
12-16-2009, 23:13
nice pics Shybaby....

The large cone shaped object labeled "grain feeder???" is a cyclone. They are either positive or negative pressure dust collectors. The next pic in line (reading from left to right) also labeled "grain feeder??" is a hopper of some sort. You can tell that by the slide gate at the bottom, the flat square peice between the bottom of the hopper and the transition (the 'transition piece' looks to be a thimble, by that I mean a cone shaped round to round, say something like a 12" to 8".

Look forward to more pics.

Josh
12-17-2009, 05:17
Whereabouts is it?

Not sure if shybaby's still hanging around, so...
From the comments on one of the photos:

it's not hard to find! From Danville, just go North on 33 (From Lexington Av turn on 3rd Street) Follow the road north until you get there, don't forget you'll go through Burgin first...

if you are going there from Lexington via 68 this might help.
33 is right across from the front entrance to Shaker Village, a left turn coming from Jessamine Co. From there it is a tad over 3 miles. Look for it on the left, but it sneaks up on you from that direction. The new sign for Burgin City Limits is right across the road from the warehouse entrance, so it 'might' (might not since it is smaller, but it's not as hidden by trees) help to be looking for it on the right.

I also found it on Google maps. If you use the walk-around feature (or whatever it's called) you can see the rackhouse at about 884 Shakertown Rd, Corninshville, KY

bourbonv
12-18-2009, 10:46
Schenley owned this distillery in the 1940s and 50s. Changed the name to the Geo. T. Stagg distillery and closed it down in the early 60s. That was their pattern for closing their distilleries - change the name to the Stagg distillery, transfer all of the whiskey to Frankfort and close the distilelry and salvage anything usefull from the the old site before selling it.

There are photos of the distillery in the U D Archive at Stitzel-Weller Distillery.

Mike Veach