PDA

View Full Version : storage in the cold

halpap
11-09-2009, 15:37
I may be doing some work in my basement, where I currently store my bunkered bottles of bourbon, and am thinking about moving my bourbon up to my garage (not used for cars). I live in the northeast and it can get pretty cold in my garage over the winter (certainly below freezing). I realize that whiskey is much hardier than wine and can take a certain degree of tempature variability, but wanted to make sure I wasn't putting my bourbon in any danger. Thank you very much.

TNbourbon
11-09-2009, 17:06
More than a few people deliberately store their liquor -- including bourbon/whiskey -- in their freezer at home. The only 'harm' it does is deadens the taste a bit while it remains cold. Back at room temperature, it's what it ever was. (I'm assuming here your garage doesn't reach absolute-zero, or anything like! :eek:)

loose proton
11-09-2009, 17:34
it has to get real cold to freeze hard liquor. -25 degrees F

see: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ie50113a018

whskylvr
11-09-2009, 19:09
Just my 2 cents.

If you leave it in to long the cork shrinks and the alcohol evaporates and your left with a real syrupy product.

ErichPryde
11-09-2009, 21:36
one thing that I have noticed about storing whiskey in a freezer, especially if the bottle is open, is that it will "outgas" when returned to room temperature and then opened. When I was much more ignorant, I did this with a bottle of Buffalo Trace, and opened it after it had warmed significantly. I might as well have been opening a can of coca-cola. It didn't taste the same after that, either.

I did the same thing to a bottle of WT101. It was a handle, and it was half empty and it never tasted exactly right after that.

Perhaps it was my imagination, or perhaps I was doing something wrong. I have no idea...

halpap
11-10-2009, 07:31
Thank you. This has been very helpful.

sgtgto
11-10-2009, 12:03
Chill haze for the unfiltered bourbons...

jburlowski
11-12-2009, 17:26
I'd leave it indoors (heated), if you can. No sense taking chances with good whiskey.