PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Trace comes Down Under!!

HighTower
11-16-2009, 01:14
Good news for all Australians: Buffalo Trace will soon be available in Australia, with widespread distribution. Sazerac have partnered up with Southtrade International to distribute their fine bourbon. Hopefully we will see more of their products filter into Australia via the right channels to keep the price right.
I hope for around a $60 price tag. Press release attached.

Scott

camduncan
11-16-2009, 02:52
That is bloody awesome news!!!!!!! It brings a tear to my eyes (in a good way)........ We've waited a long time for this!!!! I remember talking to Ken Webber about a BT release Downunder back in 05/06, and I got the impression it had been on the drawing board for a fair while. I can't wait to crack my first bottle :yum:

On an aside.... $60 would be an interesting price point. It'd put it at approx $10 more than Blantons Special Reserve sells for.

fishnbowljoe
11-16-2009, 14:24
Congratulations to all you members in Oz! Glad to see you're going to be getting some more bourbons to choose from. Hopefully the prices will be decent. Joe

Pieface
11-16-2009, 16:03
That is freakin' sweet!

camduncan
11-16-2009, 21:32
I just spoke (via email) to one of the contacts at Southtrade International.... They also distribute Rittenhouse Rye nationwide. I'm waiting on a reply back to find out where I can get some locally.

Stones
11-23-2009, 19:28
I just spoke (via email) to one of the contacts at Southtrade International.... They also distribute Rittenhouse Rye nationwide. I'm waiting on a reply back to find out where I can get some locally.

Fantastic stuff! Please let us know too Cam! :grin:

p_elliott
11-24-2009, 08:25
Cam

Maybe in recognition of this auspicious occasion we can make BT bourbon of the month seeing how that hasn't changed in 5 months.

camduncan
11-24-2009, 14:47
Cam

Maybe in recognition of this auspicious occasion we can make BT bourbon of the month seeing how that hasn't changed in 5 months.

No problem..... I'll make sure we get one up for the start of December

camduncan
11-24-2009, 14:53
Fantastic stuff! Please let us know too Cam! :grin:

The closes place (to me) that they provided was the CruBar bottle shop in the Valley. They have a couple of bottles of Rittenhouse at $80 per bottle. In the past, I've also seen them carrying Old Potrero.

Pieface
11-24-2009, 18:04
I can get the Ritt Bib for just under $70 locally. I have seen a couple of the Old Potrero range at a place too but they were upwards of $120.

I'm also looking forwards to the Sazerac rye that they will be bringing in too!

Stones
11-24-2009, 19:09
The closes place (to me) that they provided was the CruBar bottle shop in the Valley. They have a couple of bottles of Rittenhouse at $80 per bottle. In the past, I've also seen them carrying Old Potrero.

I work in Spring Hill so this is good for me! :grin:

camduncan
11-24-2009, 22:26
I work in Spring Hill so this is good for me! :grin:

I'm work just near Spring Hill as well (cnr Turbot and Edward)..... We should try and tee up a lunch next time Scott is in town.

HighTower
11-25-2009, 12:33
Sounds good!

Scott

Stones
11-25-2009, 17:04
Sensational! I'm nearer to the Valley End of Spring Hill - Agnes Street just off St Paul's Tce - I've been meaning to PM you both to meet sometime before the end of the year. :grin:

fishnbowljoe
11-30-2009, 14:13
Tomorrow (today?) is the day! Happy times ahead for all you members in Oz. I hope some BT offerings at a fair price will be good for all. Cheers Mates! Joe

Stones
11-30-2009, 14:40
Woohooo! Thanks Fishnbowljoe! :grin:

camduncan
12-02-2009, 22:59
Has anyone seen any in (Australian) Stores yet?

spy247
12-02-2009, 23:56
Hi All

I've been getting Buffalo Trace for last three years here in Perth. Vintage Cellars used to sell it and it quickly became my bourbon of choice.

I bought the last two bottles on the weekend from my local store.

p_elliott
12-03-2009, 07:34
Welcome to the site Spy we have another member from Perth, Morgan (Pieface). I hope you enjoy the site post often and have fun. Stop by the New to Straighbourbon thread and do an introduction.

Pieface
12-03-2009, 16:06
Greetings Spy. Good to see another Perthite at SB!! :D

I've never seen BT at any of my local Vintage Cellars but that is where I get the Russel's Reserve Turkey from.

spy247
12-06-2009, 20:43
Hi All,

Thanks for the welcome. I been lurking around for a while but now I feel part of the family.

Pieface, I been getting the Buffalo Trace at the Vintage Cellars stores in Perth and East Perth. However last weekend when I checked I only found 2 bottles (which I bought) at the East Perth store.

BTW I discovered a bar that serves Sazerac 18 Rye. In a few words - Immense , Bold , Spicy but well balanced. Best Rye I've had.

camduncan
12-06-2009, 21:44
I'll be chasing a bottle during week to crack for a special occasion next weekend.. I'll post if I find it anywhere.

HighTower
12-07-2009, 03:50
Welcome aboard, Spy! Always good to have more like minded Aussies on here!! Nice find at Vintage Cellars, will be interesting to see if they keep it around with a new supplier.

Let me know if you find any Cam, I'm nearly out!! :grin:

Also, if any Aussies want any Hudson Baby Bourbon, Manhattan Rye, or Corn Spirit let me know.

Scott

Stones
12-07-2009, 16:51
Please don't judge me for being greedy but apart from BT offering the BT bottling will they also be extending their trading to the other BT products? i.e. Hancocks, BTAC, Weller's, RHF and Elmer... :skep:

Pieface
12-07-2009, 17:41
I'd say that will be down the line if they get some market penetration Stones. Do your bit and buy up big :p

I have been told that the standard offerings will be BT and Sazerac Rye. Limited amounts of BTAC '09 to launch the January 1ST release.

HighTower
12-08-2009, 02:53
Spy,

If you don't mind me asking, what were Vintage Cellars asking for BT??

Cheers

Scott

Stones
12-08-2009, 15:07
Do your bit and buy up big :p
Don't worry i will be! :lol:

I have been told that the standard offerings will be BT and Sazerac Rye. Limited amounts of BTAC '09 to launch the January 1ST release.
Nice for a start, the Baby Saz will be warmly welcomed. :yum:

spy247
12-08-2009, 18:52
Hi Scott,

BT cost me $65 a bottle at Vintage Cellars, so it was priced in the premium range. Worth every cent in my opinion.

camduncan
12-08-2009, 19:30
Hi Scott,

BT cost me $65 a bottle at Vintage Cellars, so it was priced in the premium range. Worth every cent in my opinion.

Yeah, if this new distribution comes in at that price, it'll be very well worth it :D:D:D (So will the Baby Saz too)

HighTower
12-10-2009, 03:40
THanks Spy,

I was talking to a friend of mine in Perth today and he brought up BT in conversation, as a friend recently returned with 2 bottles for him and wanted more. I told him you had purchased it at VC and he was intrigued...what part of Perth are you in?

Scott

spy247
12-10-2009, 18:27
Scott,

North of the Perth. I managed to find BT in the East Perth and Perth Vintage Cellars stores. Although this may have been the last of the stock from a previous importer.

camduncan
12-11-2009, 20:16
So I treated myself to a bottle of BT today..... Unfortunately I was dissapointed. It looks like the price point of the new distribution is $90 a bottle.:hot: At that price, I'll be lucky to buy more than 1 bottle a year as it's much more affordable to get Blantons Special Reserve from Dan Murphys at $45 - $49 a bottle.:skep: :smiley_acbt:

smokinjoe
12-11-2009, 20:29
So I treated myself to a bottle of BT today..... Unfortunately I was dissapointed. It looks like the price point of the new distribution is $90 a bottle.:hot: At that price, I'll be lucky to buy more than 1 bottle a year as it's much more affordable to get Blantons Special Reserve from Dan Murphys at $45 - $49 a bottle.:skep: :smiley_acbt:

Wha?? :confused: Man, that sounds like a ridiculous price, compared to the prices ya'll have quoted on other bottlings available in OZ. Hopefully, there's a mistake somewhere, and it will settle somewhere more reasonable soon.

spy247
12-12-2009, 04:12

that is outrageous , that is the same price point as bookers.can you tell me which store you got it from?

HighTower
12-12-2009, 12:43
Cam got it from a swish bar in the Valley. The funny thing was it had a different importer on it so they could be trying to clear older stock that they may have paid a higher price for. I can't imagine someone bringing it in for distribution and having a $90 price tag. Way not to sell a product!

Scott

Pieface
12-13-2009, 17:08
The ditributor told me Jan 1st release. Shouldn't be his stock available yet...?

camduncan
12-13-2009, 18:03
The ditributor told me Jan 1st release. Shouldn't be his stock available yet...?

That could be right Morgan.... I certainly hope it's right :skep: :grin:

spy247
12-15-2009, 04:32
Cam got it from a swish bar in the Valley. The funny thing was it had a different importer on it so they could be trying to clear older stock that they may have paid a higher price for. I can't imagine someone bringing it in for distribution and having a $90 price tag. Way not to sell a product!

Scott
Guys the two bottles I picked up were imported from Blue Sky Beverages and were $65 each. Must have been old stock too.

HighTower
12-26-2009, 16:31
There's a store in Toowong called Spiros that sells some good gear. I saw Rittenhouse 100 proof, OGD 114, Hudson Baby Bourbon. The Hudson was $80, OGD was $95...can't recall how much the Ritt was. They had a very good range of premium spirits and wines.

Worth Checking out.

Scott

HighTower
12-26-2009, 16:32
Guys the two bottles I picked up were imported from Blue Sky Beverages and were $65 each. Must have been old stock too.
$65 nice work! I might go check out my local 1st Choice today....I have heard they now have EC18 for $90

Scott

HighTower
01-20-2010, 13:15
ok,

So Southtrade have officially taken over as distributors and stock landed in QLD last week. It is now in our local distributor, and I should be able to order this in and pick it up for $55 a bottle with my discount. Happy days!!
Any QLD folk who want some let me know. I think I should have a case next week.
BTW, they are 700ml, not 750.

Actually, I just had a thought. I will make a call today and see if I can pick it up cheaper. Stay tuned.....:grin:

Scott

Pieface
01-20-2010, 16:55
Thanks for the update Scott! Do you know the retail price for us mortals?

HighTower
01-21-2010, 02:39
Should run about $60.

What I am looking at....I have a friend that can buy out of a wholesaler at cost, which is $270 for a case of 6. $45 sounds like a deal to me. I would be willing to buy as much as any of you want or need, I should find out tomorrow!! Morgan if you wanted a quantity it could even work out cheaper with me posting it to you rather buying it at retail price...... I also have a friend in WA who loves the stuff who isn't on here...

Again, not sure if the likes of 1st Choice will be buying from South Trade (can't imagine why they wouldn't) so their retail price could be $50-$55 if they stocked it. Maybe worth talking to someone at your local store...

Scott

Pieface
01-21-2010, 16:17
Sounds sweet bro!

pete_d
01-21-2010, 16:33
Hey all,

I have been speaking to Dave Higgins at South trade about the new stock of BT, and he has indicated that national roll-out has commenced this week. There are a few places in NSW that have stock already, and he has recommended Kemps Creek Liquor as having stock of both BT and Rittenhouse Rye BIB.

Furthermore, he indicated that all the First Choice and Vintage Cellars will be stocking BT, it just remains for them to visit each to replenish stock.

Finally, i was advised that Southtrade expects to carry more of the BT distillery range from around late Feb, including the excellent Eagle Rare SB (i have a bottle and it's just awesome on the rocks - i drink everything else neat BTW), Sazerac and Weller, as well as others (I'm hoping to grab a bottle of Elmer T Lee and replenish my almost empty Rock Hill Farms.

I'm off to hunt a bottle of BT this weekend, i'll let you know how it goes.

(Many thanks to Dave Higgins for the information and assistance)

Stones
01-21-2010, 20:36
Finally, i was advised that Southtrade expects to carry more of the BT distillery range from around late Feb, including the excellent Eagle Rare SB (i have a bottle and it's just awesome on the rocks - i drink everything else neat BTW), Sazerac and Weller, as well as others (I'm hoping to grab a bottle of Elmer T Lee and replenish my almost empty Rock Hill Farms.

That sounds awesome! :grin:

spy247
01-21-2010, 23:34
This is great news. I've had the Eagle Rare SB can confirm it is excellent.
I'm looking forward to the Weller and of course the Sazerac !!!

Pieface
01-22-2010, 00:08
...and all was well in the world :D

HighTower
01-24-2010, 21:54
I had the lovely Lynda from Southtrade Come and visit me today. She had in tow her first sample bottle of BT! She cracked it open to ensure it's greatness....and yeah it was on the money :grin:
Her first sample of it and she quite enjoyed it. Even one of my staff who says to me '' don't know how you can drink bourbon straight"' had some on ice and enjoyed it.
Lynda said they are also getting in limited quantities of Stagg and William Larue Weller, and also Thomas Handy.
Guy May, Who is the International Sales Director for Sazerac will be out here in Feb!

Scott

pete_d
01-25-2010, 05:24
yep. I got myself a bottle of BT last weekend from the 1st choice in Naremburn NSW. So new they didn't even have prices up.

I opened it on Sunday and its better than i remembered. The last BT i got from overseas was a Binny's selection. This seems more rounded and spicy, and had less of the signature BT earthy vibe happening. This and Eagle Rare and two excellent bourbons from an outstanding distillery.

Stones
04-13-2010, 16:24
Nicks have BT for 59.99 currently here (http://www.nicks.com.au/CategoryList.aspx?OrderBy=0&AvailableYN=Y&ProductCategoryCode=SPLI&ProductTypeId=1&MenuSrc=67.380)

Josh
04-13-2010, 16:56
Nicks have BT for 59.99 currently here (http://www.nicks.com.au/CategoryList.aspx?OrderBy=0&AvailableYN=Y&ProductCategoryCode=SPLI&ProductTypeId=1&MenuSrc=67.380)

I'm happy for you guys, but that price for BT is obscene. According to an online calculator, that comes out to around $56 US. I could get a handle of Eagle Rare SB or two bottles of BT for less than that here. Stagg is only $66 state minimum.

Stones
04-13-2010, 17:19
I'm happy for you guys, but that price for BT is obscene. According to an online calculator, that comes out to around $56 US. I could get a handle of Eagle Rare SB or two bottles of BT for less than that here. Stagg is only $66 state minimum.

I guess you have to be aware we are over the other side of the world and getting your lovely bourbon over here includes fees for freight/customs/middle men profits etc etc. So given that BT is such a fine drop $65 insn't too bad. You guys sure have it good when it comes to bourbon prices. FYI: The lowest price for Stagg here is probably around the A$250 mark. :rolleyes:

Waiahi
04-13-2010, 18:20
How is it that Australia gets BT before Hawaii?!?!?! :rolleyes:

Stones
04-13-2010, 18:38

i think its because Oz is one of the major bourbon drinking countries apart from Germany and the US of course. Is bourbon one of Hawaii's popular pours?

Josh
04-13-2010, 19:55
I guess you have to be aware we are over the other side of the world and getting your lovely bourbon over here includes fees for freight/customs/middle men profits etc etc. So given that BT is such a fine drop $65 insn't too bad. You guys sure have it good when it comes to bourbon prices. FYI: The lowest price for Stagg here is probably around the A$250 mark. :rolleyes:

I wasn't trying to brag, I just think it's stupid that you all have to pay top shelf prices for mid-shelf bourbons like BT. I enjoy BT, but no way would I pay that much for it. I admire you Aussies' love for bourbon and your willingness to pay those kind of prices for it! If I had to pay that much, I don't know if I would drink it nearly as much as I do.:bowdown:

camduncan
04-13-2010, 20:46
I wasn't trying to brag, I just think it's stupid that you all have to pay top shelf prices for mid-shelf bourbons like BT. I enjoy BT, but no way would I pay that much for it. I admire you Aussies' love for bourbon and your willingness to pay those kind of prices for it! If I had to pay that much, I don't know if I would drink it nearly as much as I do.:bowdown:

I couldn't agree more - our prices are crap :D

Remember that the average cost of a 700ml bottle of Jim Beam white label (at 37% abv) in Australia is around $30. One of the cheapest bourbons I can find is Nelson County which (I believe) is practically Heaven Hill 80 proof with a different label sells for $24 a bottle, and that's when it's on special.

To the average Aussie these prices aren't expensive because that's the only pricing they know. I guess to lend a little perspective..... my wife and I were horrified at the prices some US stores charged for Aussie wines that we would only pay a few dollars for at home. So it sort of works back the other way as well, as (I'm guessing), unless the average American had been to Australia or investigated our wine prices to the Australian market, they wouldn't know or expect any different.

p_elliott
04-14-2010, 08:33

You didn't get the memo from BT to bend over and take it, I did but mine came from the state.

p_elliott
04-14-2010, 08:35

Josh if you show back up in chat once in while again you would know these things. :slappin:

p_elliott
04-14-2010, 08:39
I couldn't agree more - our prices are crap :D

Remember that the average cost of a 700ml bottle of Jim Beam white label (at 37% abv) in Australia is around $30. One of the cheapest bourbons I can find is Nelson County which (I believe) is practically Heaven Hill 80 proof with a different label sells for $24 a bottle, and that's when it's on special.

To the average Aussie these prices aren't expensive because that's the only pricing they know. I guess to lend a little perspective..... my wife and I were horrified at the prices some US stores charged for Aussie wines that we would only pay a few dollars for at home. So it sort of works back the other way as well, as (I'm guessing), unless the average American had been to Australia or investigated our wine prices to the Australian market, they wouldn't know or expect any different.

The watering down of your bourbon to 74 proof (37%) is an outrage as well. They can not legally sell it here like that.

camduncan
04-14-2010, 16:50
The watering down of your bourbon to 74 proof (37%) is an outrage as well. They can not legally sell it here like that.

I think I remember Chuck mentioning that the 40% law was only applicable to the USA, and that it can't be enforced, or is negotiable for international markets.
From memory, Jim Beam ship white label in stainless steel containers to Australia where it is dumped, (and I assume) dilluted and bottled. I don't know how other brands do it though.

p_elliott
04-15-2010, 07:41
I think I remember Chuck mentioning that the 40% law was only applicable to the USA, and that it can't be enforced, or is negotiable for international markets.
From memory, Jim Beam ship white label in stainless steel containers to Australia where it is dumped, (and I assume) dilluted and bottled. I don't know how other brands do it though.

Yes the law only applies to the USA.

blakekramer2106
04-18-2010, 17:19
I can get the Ritt Bib for just under $70 locally. I have seen a couple of the Old Potrero range at a place too but they were upwards of $120.

I'm also looking forwards to the Sazerac rye that they will be bringing in too!

Hello Yes Southtrade will be bringing in the Sazerac Rye as well.

HighTower
04-21-2010, 14:25
Welcome aboard Blake!

Do you happen to have any pictures of the Guy May event at the Bowery??

Cheers

Scott

Pieface
04-21-2010, 20:42
Welcome Blake!

I have spotted a few places with BT at $55 and once on special for $49.99. POS material seems pretty limited which is not going to help as JD and WT regularly have large POS displays and competitions to enter via purchase. Raising brand awareness is going to be a time consuming process.

On the plus side one bottleshop I frequent seemed to have cleared through at least one shelf of BT and had to restock. BT has the quality to go up against EWSB which seems to be it's natural price point competition and while I prefer WT8 in that price bracket BT is definitely a more approachable whiskey for the novice bourbonite.

Looking forwards to the Saz becoming available.

HighTower
04-22-2010, 18:54
I have had to reorder a case already and I am in an area where people drink beam, bundy or XXX gold and buy alcohol before they feed their kids. Suggestive selling is the key. Some will pony up and buy it :grin:

The lovely Lynda came to see me yesterday and said there may be some opportunities coming up for "win in store' promos with either buffalo heads or barrel heads! Cant wait!

Scott

Clayton74
04-24-2010, 08:47
Buffalo Trace is kicking along nicely in Perth and I know an excellent place to buy it for $49.99! Vintage Cellars are selling it for $65 and 1st Choice are currently ranging it so expect to see it on a shelf soon, Sazerac Rye is days away due to a customs issue, it's here and just needs to be cleared. It's going to have to retail around $75 plus and based on what I've heard about the booze it'll be a one-off proposition for most punters.. $75 even here in Oz buys a very decent bottle of booze..

Clayton74
04-24-2010, 08:50

Yeah it comes here and is cut 3% just like Old Crow. Others do it too, Cougar, McKenna, Slate, Real McCoy and the gang. Nice tax dodge when you look at the volumes being shipped!

Clayton74
04-24-2010, 08:54
[quote=Pieface;203735]Welcome Blake!

On the plus side one bottleshop I frequent seemed to have cleared through at least one shelf of BT and had to restock. BT has the quality to go up against EWSB which seems to be it's natural price point competition and while I prefer WT8 in that price bracket BT is definitely a more approachable whiskey for the novice bourbonite.

Couldn't agree more mate, I have put quite a few malt drinkers onto it too, texture and flavour profile normally bowls them over, look at the malts at this price point - there aint much!!