PDA

View Full Version : New Member from KC

Res/st-or
11-18-2009, 19:26
Hi everyone, my name is Jeff.... I stumbled upon your forum when I was researching a new bourbon to add to my collection, which seems to grow out of control sometimes. It's a good thing I'm not married or my wife would have left me by now... lol

Anyways.... I get together with a close group of friends that are as passionate about bourbon as I am. I just love to talk about it with people who share that passion, that get excited about what they have, tried, or are about to try. My favorite is the Pappy 20yr old. I tend to like most everything that comes out of the Buffalo Trace distillery.

This is currently what I have on hand for my sipping pleasure.

Knob Creek
Buffalo Trace
Four Roses small batch
Pappy Van Winkle 15yr, 20yr, and 23yr (would love to add the rye to my collection)
Van Winkle 12yr Lot B
Thomas H. Handy Sazerac 2009 2-bottles
George T. Stagg 2009 (yet to pop the cork)
Bookers
Blanton's

On my current list: Parker Heritage, Ri, Pappy rye, Noahs Mill.

I also love Irish Whisky... I have Redbreast, 2007 Middleton, Jamison Gold Reserve (sipping some as we speak) I do have 1 scotch, Macallan 18yr... I struggle a bit with scotch. But I can appreciate it.

Glad I could break the ice here. I'm looking forward to talking to you all.

BBQ+Bourbon
11-18-2009, 19:58
Welcome aboard, Jeff!

I live just on the other side of Line Creek so we're practicaly neighbors. We'll have to get together sometime.

Hope you enjoy the site!

Matt

Josh
11-18-2009, 21:29
Welcome Jeff! We have a growing Kansas contingent! If you ever find yourself in Wichita, Erik's your man, as he is mine.

Looks like you got a nice selection there. Have you ever tried any Dickel? I really like the Barrel Select. Best Tennesee Whiskey on the market.

fishnbowljoe
11-18-2009, 22:00
Welcome aboard Jeff. Kansas is representin' yet again! You have a couple good neighbors out your way. Watch your back though. :skep: LOL Looks like you've done some homework. You have a great collection of bourbons so far. Watch, learn, listen, and above all, don't hesitate to join in and post. Official chats in the gazebo are Thursday and Sunday nights, but you never know when folks will pop in to chat. Just beware. It can get pretty raucous at times. :rolleyes: Cheers, and again, welcome. Joe

ErichPryde
11-18-2009, 23:57
Welcome to the site, It's great to see another (almost) Kansan! :D

MarkEdwards
11-19-2009, 04:09
I get together with a close group of friends that are as passionate about bourbon as I am.

Welcome to the site. Get your friends to sign up as well.

cas
11-19-2009, 05:31
Do the crazy little women like good bourbon?
Craig

Res/st-or
11-19-2009, 05:43
Wow.... Thanks for the warm welcome. I'd give it about a 60-70 dollar bottle of bourbon welcome. I am actually across the Kansas border on the Missouri side. So don't hold it against me, or worship me, whichever you prefer... lol

I have tried most of the bourbons out there. I have yet to try the Dickel though. That sounded a bit odd. The Tennesee whiskey always seemed to rub me the wrong way, but I am willing to try it.

ratcheer
11-19-2009, 06:35
Hi, Jeff. Welcome to SB.com!

Tim

funknik
11-19-2009, 06:52
Hi Jeff, good talking with you last night -- hope you get your mitts on some of that Van Winkle rye -- it is really excellent. Post often, ask questions, have fun . . .

unclebunk
11-19-2009, 07:53
Welcome aboard, Jeff. That's a nice list of quality bourbon you've purchased already. I'm a big fan of Buffalo Trace and all things Pappy too. Get yourself some Wild Turkey when you get around to it. WT101, Rare Breed and Kentucky Spirit are mighty fine. Have fun here and post often!

P.S.--Nice to see that you've branched out to the ryes as well, but I wouldn't be in any big hurry to pick up a bottle of ri. I think you can do lots better for the money. :grin:

Res/st-or
11-19-2009, 08:16
P.S.--Nice to see that you've branched out to the ryes as well, but I wouldn't be in any big hurry to pick up a bottle of ri. I think you can do lots better for the money. :grin:

Well the ri intrigues me, but it is not high on my list. The Pappy rye remains elusive for now. I need to try the Rare bread and Kentucky spirit. I was never too impressed with the standard off the shelf Turkey. But I will give anything a chance.

It was nice talking to you guys in chat last night. I have to admit, I was a little overwhelmed at first by how fast and furious you guys type back and forth. I did my best to keep up. Sorry if I didn't respond to all your questions. I thought it was cool that you guys actually talked about bourbon. So many chat forums go way off topic and stay that way.

p_elliott
11-19-2009, 11:43
Hi Jeff

Welcome aboard I'm not from KS or MO but Iowa just about 2 1/2 hour straight north of you. Looks like you have a lot of of bourbon experience. Hope you enjoy your time here post often ask as many question as you want, post your opinions have fun and make new friends. Chat is officially Thursday and Sunday nights but you never know when someone might be in there stop in.

marco246
11-19-2009, 12:59
Hi, Jeff,

And welcome aboard. I share your appreciation for anything coming out of Buffalo Trace. Go to Frankfort and do the "hard hat" tour if you get the chance.

We once lived north of Kansas City in a little community called Weatherby Lake. We had thought we might retire there until we experienced a couple of winters. Even bourbon didn't help much. . . .

Cheers!

Special Reserve
11-19-2009, 17:17
.... I stumbled upon your forum when I was researching a new bourbon to add to my collection, which seems to grow out of control sometimes.

Jeff,

Welcome to SB. I really related to the quote above particularily the "grow out of control" part.

You certainly have a good start.

Will

Res/st-or
11-19-2009, 17:59
indeed... It does tend to turn into a monster.....

weatherby lake is very close to me marco. Winters can get rough here.... I feel I'm part Eskimo though. The GTS at 141.4 aught to take of that.

BBQ+Bourbon
11-21-2009, 07:55
Hi, Jeff,

And welcome aboard. I share your appreciation for anything coming out of Buffalo Trace. Go to Frankfort and do the "hard hat" tour if you get the chance.

We once lived north of Kansas City in a little community called Weatherby Lake. We had thought we might retire there until we experienced a couple of winters. Even bourbon didn't help much. . . .

Cheers!
I lived a couple hundred yards from there, just off of Blair north of 45hwy. I moved a few years ago and am just east and south of I-29 and 64th. Jeff lives just a couple miles away.

Jeff, I have a couple finds you might be interested in. The dark brown WTKS is supposed to be very good, and I know of one in Lee Summit. There is a first year PHC like the one I stole from you for the same price. :hot: The BTAC is pretty well gone, but I know of two handy, one ER, and one baby saz. If you are interested in any of these, let me know!