PDA

View Full Version : New member from Chicago

wes
11-21-2009, 11:31
Hi everyone,

Glad to be a new member of the Straightbourbon community, and have already indulged myself in lots of reading on old threads. Up until now I've been largely a beer person, but I've gotten hooked on bourbon over the past few months, and am trying to build up my palate and collection. It's been really helpful to hear what other people have to say about what they've been drinking.

So far in the cabinet I have bottles of:
Woodford Reserve
Buffalo Trace (single barrel from 'In Fine Spirits,' a wine/liquor shop/bar in my neighborhood)
Bulleit
Eagle Rare (the 10 year)
and an Elmer T Lee (just bought it last night, and am happy with it so far)

Thanks for all the info I've already gleaned, and in advance for everything I'm sure I will. And I'm definitely willing to hear suggestions, if you have any.

Wes

unclebunk
11-21-2009, 11:46
Welcome aboard, Wes. Where are you in Chicago? We occasionally have little get-togethers at the south loop Binny's. You should stop in there and say hello to Joe (aka "Lost Pollito"). He'll hook you up with some Very Old Barton and a few other good suggestions. Have fun and post often!

hectic1
11-21-2009, 14:31
Welcome aboard, Wes. Where are you in Chicago? We occasionally have little get-togethers at the south loop Binny's. You should stop in there and say hello to Joe (aka "Lost Pollito"). He'll hook you up with some Very Old Barton and a few other good suggestions. Have fun and post often!
I agree...I met up with Joe yesterday at Binny's and he was more then generous with his time, bourbon, and knowledge! Welcome aboard...join us in Chat some night...we're in there about every night after 8pm! :) Seeing as your in Chicago you should really do yourself a favor and locate a bottle of Binny's Weller 12...it's a fantastic pour for the money! :cool:

spun_cookie
11-21-2009, 14:33
Welcome to the fold Wes... always room for one more memeber... but you are in fishnbowlJoe territory... Hide your eagle rare.

George
11-21-2009, 14:37
Welcome, Wes. I'm still learning my way around the bourbon world. You won't find a better or more informed group than here at SB. Enjoy!

ratcheer
11-21-2009, 16:50
Hi, Wes. Welcome to SB.com!

Tim

Vosgar
11-22-2009, 10:06
Welcome to the fold Wes... always room for one more memeber... but you are in fishnbowlJoe territory... Hide your eagle rare.

And your Weller 12, especially if it's Binny's batch.

Welcome!

BBQ+Bourbon
11-22-2009, 17:47
Welcome aboard, Wes. You are off on the right foot with those bottles, and this is a great time of year for bourbon nuts!

You will be well advised to pick up George T Stagg and a William Larue Weller while they are in town. Enjoy the journey.

fishnbowljoe
11-22-2009, 18:25

And your Weller 12, especially if it's Binny's batch.

Welcome!

Who me? :rolleyes:

Welcome to SB Wes. Glad to have you. I'll be in contact soon to let you know how much your yearly dues are for the Chicago area bourbon mob. A bottle or two of ER or Weller12 would probably do quite nicely. :slappin: But seriously, :skep: glad to have you. Lot's of members in the area. Lot's of good bourbon in the area. From the look of things you have a pretty good start already. So, get ready to meet some good people, learn a lot about bourbon, try/buy some good bourbon, and have some fun along the way. It's all good. Stay active, and keep posting. Official chats are Sunday and Thursday nights, but you never know when folks are going to be in the chat room. It's been quite frequently lately. Again, welcome and enjoy. Cheers! Joe

tommyboy38
11-22-2009, 22:06
From one Chicago bourbon drinker to another, welcome aboard.

Lost Pollito
11-23-2009, 09:07
Howdy Wes, Always good to have new Chicago Bourbon nerds. Welcome aboard.

Res/st-or
11-23-2009, 16:43
Welcome Wes. You've joined a good group of people here.

Captain Murphy
11-27-2009, 17:23
Hey there, I'm from Salt Lake City, and I'm looking to get into Bourbon a bit more. My resume includes Bulleit, Knobb Creek, Beam Black, and Buffalo Trace. I'm looking to expand, and don't really have the funds to go above 30 dollars. I've heard really good stuff about Eagle Rare. Which of the two would you guys go for?
I was just hoping for some suggestions, and anything would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cpt. Murphy

hectic1
11-28-2009, 08:57
Hey there, I'm from Salt Lake City, and I'm looking to get into Bourbon a bit more. My resume includes Bulleit, Knobb Creek, Beam Black, and Buffalo Trace. I'm looking to expand, and don't really have the funds to go above 30 dollars. I've heard really good stuff about Eagle Rare. Which of the two would you guys go for?
I was just hoping for some suggestions, and anything would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cpt. Murphy

In the $30 a bottle range I would look at Eagle Rare, Elmer T. Lee, Weller 12, Four Roses Small Batch, Old Weller Antique, Russel's Reserve, and Evan William Single Barrel. All of these seem to have a very good reputation as "value" bourbons that give you a touch of high end with out the price. I have all of these open on my bar and I don't think you can go wrong with any but the ER, ETL, and Weller 12 have a special place on my tongue...I tend to drink those pours more then the others.

Captain Murphy
11-29-2009, 13:02
Thanks, I will be sure to check those out. I gotta say, I'm a bit surprised to find that great a selection in the $30 range. I'll be sure to let ya know how those work out.

spy247
12-09-2009, 22:44
Welcome Wes.

Hope you like it here, the people are mighty friendly and so full of knowledge.

tommyboy38
12-20-2009, 22:33
For $30, I'd grab two bottles of Old Fitz BIB.