PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon Sweet Potatoes

T47
11-26-2009, 22:55
I would have tagged onto the old thread of Candied sweet Potatoes but its closed. My wife got this recipe for Bourbon sweet potatoes and we had it as a side dish tonight, it was excellent.

3 1/2 Pounds sweet potatoes - peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges
1/2 Cup packed dark brown sugar
2 Tablespoons Bourbon (We used Lot B)
Coarse salt and ground pepper
3 Tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 350º. Arrange sweet potatoes in a 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Add sugar and bourbon and toss to combine, season with salt and pepper. Bake until sweet potatoes are tneder and glazed. 1 to 1 1/2 hours, tossing every 30 minutes. Stir in butter before serving.

I will have to print up the Candied Sweet Potatoe recipe and see if its as good. Happy Thanksgiving all.

:toast:

These were a hit with the whole family.

SMOWK
11-27-2009, 23:43

what a coincidence. so did I.

nor02lei
11-28-2009, 02:09
I would have tagged onto the old thread of Candied sweet Potatoes but its closed. My wife got this recipe for Bourbon sweet potatoes and we had it as a side dish tonight, it was excellent.

3 1/2 Pounds sweet potatoes - peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges
1/2 Cup packed dark brown sugar
Coarse salt and ground pepper
3 Tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 350º. Arrange sweet potatoes in a 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Add sugar and bourbon and toss to combine, season with salt and pepper. Bake until sweet potatoes are tneder and glazed. 1 to 1 1/2 hours, tossing every 30 minutes. Stir in butter before serving.

I will have to print up the Candied Sweet Potatoe recipe and see if its as good. Happy Thanksgiving all.

:toast:

These were a hit with the whole family.

I must say that this dish sounds extremely sweet to me. Do you really eat it as a side dish together with the main dish Todd? When in Atlanta 1996 I did have mashed potato made of sweet potato. It was so sweet that that I couldn’t eat it and that was without sugar. This said I am well aware of the fact that the American cosine is much sweeter in general than the Swedish.

Leif

T47
11-28-2009, 10:11
We did eat it as a side dish. I have never considered myself as a person with a sweet tooth? But maybe I am? We only had small portions as there were many of us; I thought the flavor was excellent, not too sweet.
These were made with White Sweet Potatoes which are not as sweet as Orange fleshed sweet potatoes or Yams?
I have only had the "orange" sweet potatoes growing up, and when I brought these home and cut them open and saw they were white I thought I had made a mistake and bought the wrong thing but a quick internet search told me they were indeed sweet potatoes. That might have something to do with it?

nor02lei
11-29-2009, 03:45
These were made with White Sweet Potatoes which are not as sweet as Orange fleshed sweet potatoes or Yams?
I have only had the "orange" sweet potatoes growing up, and when I brought these home and cut them open and saw they were white I thought I had made a mistake and bought the wrong thing but a quick internet search told me they were indeed sweet potatoes. That might have something to do with it?

Yes Todd the ones I have tasted had orange flesh. I did not know there were white less sweet ones.

Leif

nblair
01-13-2010, 20:14
I made these tonight, and while they're definitely sweet (as the name implies), they were delicious. I cut the recipe in half and it's a good thing I did because my wife and I probably would not of left the table until we downed all 3 1/2 pounds of sweet potatoes.