PDA

View Full Version : New from AZ

shortroundness
11-27-2009, 18:01
Hi everyone,

There is a lot of great information here and I've enjoyed reading through a lot of posts.

I'm a complete noob to bourbon and recently enjoyed a Jack and coke. While I'm still mainly a mixer I also have a couple of sips straight with each bottle I try.

So I've dropped JD as now I can't believe how much it costs compared to alternatives. I realize it's a whiskey and shouldn't be compared to straight bourbon but it is what brought me here to begin with.

I'd like to find a bottom shelf bourbon for mixing and maybe breaking me into the sipping game. I'm not good at describing any 'notes' or flavors but I can tell you what I've tried and what I've liked. Maybe someone can recommend another one to try.

JD ($15.99 / 750ml)
Mixer = good
Sipper = Horrible

Early Times ($7.99 / liter)
Mixer = ok
Sipper = ok

Evan Williams 1783 ($8.99 / liter) My favorite so far!
Mixer = Great
Sipper = Good

I also grabbed an Old Grand Dad 50ml with an orange label to try. I didn't care for it. Can't really describe it but it seemed a little 'thin' maybe? Then I tried a 50ml of the regular JB and it reminded me of Early Times. It's just ok. I won't buy it again.

Maybe someone can enlighten as to what is different about Evan Williams than the others. If I can pin down what it is about EW than I might jump to the next level and find mid shelfer in this style.

There are some others that I may try like Ezra Brooks, Old Crow, Old Forester and Ten High.

Thanks in advance!

spun_cookie
11-27-2009, 19:24
Brotha are you in luck. The bourbon world awaits ... I would say grab a handle of Weller Special Reserve. It will bump up to your top and then you should grab an Old Weller Antique.

Where do you live in AZ. I am just east of Tucson.

shortroundness
11-27-2009, 19:53
Thank you for the suggestion! WL Weller SR seems to be a popular choice on this board. So I searched the forum and found it was 2/08 BOTM and learned it is a 'wheater' and has caramel, vanilla and pecan flavoring. Maybe a wheat bourbon is where my tastes are. It is now on my list for upcoming bourbon shopping.

I'm in Peoria. Thanks again!

spun_cookie
11-27-2009, 21:07
The older WT 8yrs have a lot of that profile in it as well.

If you ever make the trek to Tucson I will take you through my bunker and you will know what you like and not :D

shortroundness
11-27-2009, 22:04
Awesome, sounds good spun_cookie!

ACDetroit
11-28-2009, 20:16
Emerald, you take the new guy through your bunker he may never leave! Sir Roundness, if you get anywhere near Emerald's place (Spun_Cookie) I would take him up on his offer. Not only does he have the greatest bourbon selection in AZ, he can walk you through an education on each bottle!

Welcome to SB.com I hope you enjoy your journey.

ACDetroit (Tony)

MrB
11-28-2009, 23:03
Welcome. This is a great place to learn and discuss. I have learned much here about bourbon and its wonderful history.

p_elliott
11-29-2009, 00:59
Emerald, you take the new guy through your bunker he may never leave! Sir Roundness, if you get anywhere near Emerald's place (Spun_Cookie) I would take him up on his offer. Not only does he have the greatest bourbon selection in AZ, he can walk you through an education on each bottle!

Welcome to SB.com I hope you enjoy your journey.

ACDetroit (Tony)

Shortroundness

That's the best offer you've had in years I would take him up on it. You'll learn more in one night about bourbon than you would learn in two years reading books.

Paul

shortroundness
11-30-2009, 06:25
Thanks everyone.

Yes I would probably learn a lot in one night, the question is would I remember it?

ggilbertva
11-30-2009, 11:13
You mentioned Old Grand Dad. What you probably didn't like about it was the high rye mashbill. New drinkers sometimes get turned off by the spice and proof kicker. As others have commented here, Emerald has a huge bunker of bourbons and can share samples with you that will make your head spin. The bourbons you mentioned (Ten High, EW1783, Early Times) are pretty much mixers and not very good for sippin. For some good sippers you can try

Weller Special Reserve
Eagle Rare 10/90
Knob Creek
Baby Saz

These cover wheat and rye bourbon and rye whiskey. This at least will give you a quick introduction to varied spirits.

p_elliott
12-02-2009, 08:02
Shortroundness

Usually on here we tell people not to be afraid of the bottom shelf. In your case I'm going to give the opposite advice step up a level Get some Wild Turkey 101, Old Weller Antique 107, Four Roses Single Barrel, RR 1792 in other words spend a little more on your bourbon. Then see how you like it.

Paul

ggilbertva
12-02-2009, 19:20
Shortroundness

Usually on here we tell people not to be afraid of the bottom shelf. In your case I'm going to give the opposite advice step up a level Get some Wild Turkey 101, Old Weller Antique 107, Four Roses Single Barrel, RR 1792 in other words spend a little more on your bourbon. Then see how you like it.

Paul

What he said...... :grin:

Res/st-or
12-03-2009, 15:03
Greetings.......

Try the Buffalo Trace as well... One of my favorite affordable bourbons. To me it tastes like it should cost more.

Knob creek is another fine affordable bourbon.

shortroundness
12-03-2009, 19:30
Speaking of Knob Creek, I ran across a 750 ml for $17. I didn't know it was a good price until I looked it up when I got home. Most places are $25 and up. I'll head back and pick some up!

Maybe I missed it but is there a centralized place I can look up bourbons by 'wheat' or 'rye'?

Thanks for all the replies!

Special Reserve
12-04-2009, 17:05
Speaking of Knob Creek, I ran across a 750 ml for $17. I didn't know it was a good price until I looked it up when I got home. Most places are $25 and up. I'll head back and pick some up!

Maybe I missed it but is there a centralized place I can look up bourbons by 'wheat' or 'rye'?

Thanks for all the replies!

$17.98 is the state minimum for a 375 mL bottle of Knob Creek in MI.

fishnbowljoe
12-05-2009, 21:23
Welcome to the site Short. Sounds like you've got some good suggestions so far. One piece of advice if you make it to Emerald's (Spun-Cookie). Be careful! I've heard it's like The Hotel California. You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave. :slappin: Cheers! Joe