PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon and snow

ggilbertva
12-19-2009, 09:39
So I'm sitting here at home stuck in a snow storm. Started snowing around midnight and we now have about 2' of snow. I've been out twice to plow (long driveway) and come in frozen both times. About the only upside is bourbon warms me up. I wouldn't normally advocate drinking before noon but in this case.....

smokinjoe
12-19-2009, 09:47
Oh, the weather outside is frightful,
But Greg's bunker is so delightful.
And, which bottle will he open next?
Let bourbon flow, bourbon flow, bourbon flow!!!!
:D

I would assume Sijan's doing OK, too. :cool:

Josh
12-19-2009, 10:04
So I'm sitting here at home stuck in a snow storm. Started snowing around midnight and we now have about 2' of snow. I've been out twice to plow (long driveway) and come in frozen both times. About the only upside is bourbon warms me up. I wouldn't normally advocate drinking before noon but in this case.....

Aw...those poor Virginians and that horrible horrible weather.

Here at the edge of The Great White North we had what looks like 1/2 inch of snow overnight. I've been forced to finish off my bottle of candycane-infused HH white label and to open a bottle of Michigan Cabernet Franc. It's getting rough here, lemme tell ya!:lol:

OscarV
12-19-2009, 10:12
It's getting rough here, lemme tell ya!:lol:

We got 2 inches here in the Mid-Mitten and I got a turkey in the oven, the tree is decorated and the 4R1B is flowing.

Josh
12-19-2009, 10:17
We got 2 inches here in the Mid-Mitten and I got a turkey in the oven, the tree is decorated and the 4R1B is flowing.

That's like a Norman Rockwell scene right there. But better.:grin:

George
12-19-2009, 10:18
The snow is on its way here and should start this afternoon. I just stopped and picked up a couple bottles - OWA and EWSB - and I plan to bunker down for at least the next 24 hours.

spun_cookie
12-19-2009, 10:35
The weather in a mess here... just barley on teh 70s with blue skies... Hope it warms up soon :D

birdman1099
12-19-2009, 10:38
The weather in a mess here... just barley on teh 70s with blue skies... Hoe it warms up soon :D

BASTARD !!!!!!!:smiley_acbt: :hot:

Sin
12-19-2009, 10:49
I'm in short pants and a short sleeve pocket t-shirt, so suck it. :grin:

(Sunny 70's in SoCal)

Josh
12-19-2009, 11:09
I'm in short pants and a short sleeve pocket t-shirt, so suck it. :grin:

(Sunny 70's in SoCal)

Post of the YEAR.:slappin:

ThomasH
12-19-2009, 11:25
1 inch of snow here, getting ready to head to work at 4PM and make some more steel donuts. Now that the worst of the day is over (christmas shopping), I can kick back and watch steel tubes roll by. Time and a half beats shopping with an argumentitive teen for gift cards any day!

Thomas

SMOWK
12-19-2009, 11:45
Blizzard 100 miles in all directions. Raining where I am. Sometimes it's not so nice to be near the ocean.

ggilbertva
12-19-2009, 12:38
The weather in a mess here... just barley on teh 70s with blue skies... Hope it warms up soon :D

I request the Straight Bourbon Admins ban Mr. Cookie for not less than one month.

ggilbertva
12-19-2009, 12:40
Beautiful picture aint it? Guess which one I'm talking about?

callmeox
12-19-2009, 12:50
I can still see grass in my yard through the light snow. The ground is still too warm here to support such a puny snowfall.

For those on the east coast, better you than me, bub. :grin: It's not even winter yet, so we will get ours in due time.

spun_cookie
12-19-2009, 13:15
The weather in a mess here... just barley in the 70s with blue skies... Hope it warms up soon :D

BASTARD !!!!!!!:smiley_acbt: :hot:

I request the Straight Bourbon Admins ban Mr. Cookie for not less than one month.

Beautiful picture aint it? Guess which one I'm talking about?

'tis a beautiful sight... ... and I assume this one Mr Gilbert?

George
12-19-2009, 13:23
'tis a beautiful sight... ... and I assume this one Mr Gilber?

Boooooooooooooooo!!!!! :smiley_acbt:

ratcheer
12-19-2009, 13:59
No snow here, just cold and windy. It poured rain all Friday morning and I think that was the same storm that is now snowing up the east coast.

Tim

cigarnv
12-19-2009, 14:08
Hey Em..... This pics for you my friend...I call it "Snow Juice by Em"... Completely eliminates the urge to shovel... LOL!!!

spun_cookie
12-19-2009, 14:39
Hey Em..... This pics for you my friend...I call it "Snow Juice by Em"... Completely eliminates the urge to shovel... LOL!!!

Nice... drink 2 portions to melt 5 feet of driveway

ggilbertva
12-19-2009, 15:46
'tis a beautiful sight... ... and I assume this one Mr Gilbert?

Yes, your picture is better than mine. Bastage!

MarkEdwards
12-19-2009, 16:01
I suppose I could pull the blinds closed and tell my wife that we have eight feet of snow, to justify bunkering up with a bottle or two.

But then, she'd probably argue that we are in Texas and open the blinds. Never mind...

Lost Pollito
12-19-2009, 20:27
Awesome pick! All we got today was a mixed bag 'o' slush. 33 and rain / snow / ice stuff. Kinda nasty. Bring me snow!!!! I love snow. The cta plows me off to work, and the bus gets me home. 2 inches tomorrow, but I'd rather have 2 feet. :grin: This Ky boy still finds snow to be a real treat!!! Drink till you fall down, it won't hurt. :lol:

independant
12-19-2009, 20:42
Greg beat me to the post. In my part of Va it started snowing around 3 Friday and stopped around 3 today. I went out to the ABC store yesterday and I have never seen a liquor store packed like this. Snowed in= Drinking I guess.
I love snow and this is the most I have seen in VA since 96.
OGD 114 will keep me warm.

bigman
12-19-2009, 20:46
Yep, bring the snow, I have one more day of work this year, ok 1 plus some left tonight, and so far all we have got was a dusting that has turned to more of rain/snow yuck. At least snow looks nice. This stuff is what will make it so much fun when we do get snow, and have the nice bed of ice under it.

Ruby K
12-19-2009, 22:58
all a yall are lucky. i've been walking around in it with the in laws since 3pm. Just sitting down to a OWA 2000, and man, am i still frozen.

fishnbowljoe
12-20-2009, 10:45
Here's a pic of the snow we got last week. Joe

ACDetroit
12-20-2009, 18:26
Oh, the weather outside is frightful,
But Greg's bunker is so delightful.
And, which bottle will he open next?
Let bourbon flow, bourbon flow, bourbon flow!!!!
:D

I would assume Sijan's doing OK, too. :cool:

Joe, hope you don't mind but I ran with this one!!!

Here comes the snow, are ya listening?
In the glass, bourbon is glistening.
The bunker is full so go grab a pull.

Drinking in a winter wonderland.

Gone away is the bluebird
Here to stay is a new bird.
He sings 101 so lets have some fun!

In the bunker you can find an old man.
Old Rips his name so please don’t try and frown
He’ll say have a pour and you’ll say whoa man.
I need to have some more of this around.
Later on you’ll conspire as you drink by the fire.
The bourbon’s they’ve made… we give accolades !

Drinking in a winter wonderland!

Cheers! and Merry Christmas !

smokinjoe
12-20-2009, 18:41
Joe, hope you don't mind but I ran with this one!!!

Here comes the snow, are ya listening?
In the glass, bourbon is glistening.
The bunker is full so go grab a pull.

Gone away is the bluebird
Here to stay is a new bird.
He sings 101 so lets have some fun!

In the bunker you can find an old man.
Old Rips his name so please don’t try and frown
He’ll say have a pour and you’ll say whoa man.
I need to have some more of this around.
Later on you’ll conspire as you drink by the fire.
The bourbon’s they’ve made… we give accolades !

Drinking in a winter wonderland!

Cheers! and Merry Christmas !

Excellent!!! I'll toast that with a little Old Rip myself! :D
:toast:

ggilbertva
12-20-2009, 19:46
Nicely done Tony.....I'll toast with a gold vein OWA.

ggilbertva
02-06-2010, 14:54
Well, we got slammed again. The snow back in Dec was somewhere around 2 feet. Yesterday and through last night was about 3 feet. It took me 3.5 hours to plow my way down to the road which included getting stuck four times. Oh how I hate this stuff......

BTW, I was so cold when I came in I immediately grabbed the first bourbon I could get my hands on.......Willett Pot Still and for that moment, it was delicious.

birdman1099
02-06-2010, 14:58
I guess I'll stop bitching about my 10 inches.......

That much snow would drive me to drinking too. :grin:

BBQ+Bourbon
02-06-2010, 15:54
Greg, if I were you, the first time I could get out of the driveway I would have a U-Haul backed up to the door! I got a good laugh from looking at those pictures. :lol:

BTW is that a pickup truck in the last picture?

MarkEdwards
02-06-2010, 16:42
Being in Texas, I usually like the snow.

The only thing I DON"T like about it is the other idiots who think snow and ice on the roads are invitations for foolishness and games while driving. There is a roadway that dips down a bit on the way to Cedar Hill. It has a wide grass median. It is not unusual to see a dozen or more cars that have slipped and slid onto the median.

I'm staying inside with my GTS when it snows...

ggilbertva
02-07-2010, 07:15
Greg, if I were you, the first time I could get out of the driveway I would have a U-Haul backed up to the door! I got a good laugh from looking at those pictures. :lol:

BTW is that a pickup truck in the last picture?

....yah, I didn't think it was too funny. I'm just glad I have a tractor and blade to push that $*@! around. The last picture is my Tahoe pretty much covered in snow.

SMOWK
02-07-2010, 07:16
I like watching my girlfriend shovel snow. Once or twice a year, it's nice to have back problems.

callmeox
02-07-2010, 07:26
We had a Valentines Day storm like that a few years back. That occasion was when my son learned the valuable lesson that it is easier to shovel 6 inches of snow 4 times than a couple of feet at once. :grin:

ggilbertva
02-07-2010, 07:34
We had a Valentines Day storm like that a few years back. That occasion was when my son learned the valuable lesson that it is easier to shovel 6 inches of snow 4 times than a couple of feet at once. :grin:

Don't you love lessons? My son is home shoveling out all the snow in front of the garage door that I didn't get with the tractor. Unfortunately, I couldn't stay ahead of the game since the bulk of snow came overnight Fri/Sat, about 24 inches worth. By the time I got outside on Sat morning, it was still snowing and I was trying to move around 3 foot of snow with drifts in excess of 4 feet. All this snow almost makes me want to open another bottle.

dgonano
02-07-2010, 10:49
Well I have a heavy duty lawn tractor with a large blade but the the snow and ice won this battle. I plowed about 8 feet and came to a halt. From there on it was dig,shovel...plow a little further and repeat. If I could have started at 3:am I would have succeeded. All finished now and time for some Willett!

p_elliott
02-07-2010, 23:53
I like watching my girlfriend shovel snow. Once or twice a year, it's nice to have back problems.

She reads this post your going to have a lack of sex problem :grin:

ggilbertva
02-08-2010, 03:17
Well I have a heavy duty lawn tractor with a large blade but the the snow and ice won this battle. I plowed about 8 feet and came to a halt. From there on it was dig,shovel...plow a little further and repeat. If I could have started at 3:am I would have succeeded. All finished now and time for some Willett!

Dave,

Don't put that lawn tractor away....another 10 inches coming our way...

Old Lamplighter
02-08-2010, 05:00
Way on down here just woke up to 4-5" of the white stuff.....totally unexpected. Weather forecast here last night was about 20% chance of flurries - which should have told us something about what really was going to happen. May be a good day to avoid all the idiots on the road that have no clue. Around these parts, folks just assume you can drive 75-80 instead of 85-90 mph when it snows. In other words, there is a 99.9% chance that roads blocked by accidents quickly goes from bad to worse in a matter of no time at all. Wish I had a nice 4x4 and winch.

cigarnv
02-08-2010, 07:42
Greg.... we still are buried.... 37" here with 65-76" where it came off the roof and crushed every bush and tree we have!! Time for a few of Em's green wax Willet's!!!

OscarV
02-08-2010, 09:11
Trying to get my mind right for the bad weather they're calling for here.
The EC12 is helping.
We ain't gonna get the 2 to 3 feet the East Coast got, only 8 to 12 inches from Tuesday afternoon thru Wednesday morning.
What's got me scared is that I have today off because of a late holiday and I have to push beer thru it the reat of the week, 5 days worth of it in 4 days.

Ruby K
02-08-2010, 12:32
i was expecting a full blown snopocalypse and woke up to a dusting here in NYC. Apparently, just south of Brooklyn got walloped but we got nothing. I hear that's changing tuesday night.

fishnbowljoe
02-08-2010, 14:28
Looks like it will be hitting us again in northern Illinois too. They're forecasting 8"-12" starting tonight, and continuing all day tomorrow. Maybe some into early Wednesday morning. Possible blizzard conditions. Winds from the northwest at 15-25 mph, with gusting up to 35 mph. Looks like it's gonna be a Weller week. :rolleyes: :skep: :crazy: :frown: Joe

jburlowski
02-08-2010, 15:19
It's weather like this that makes me glad to have a well-stocked bunker.

ggilbertva
02-08-2010, 16:46
So, here's why I was really P.O.'d at my son today. I told him to dig out his car. It was still buried under 3+ feet of snow and had a large pile behind his car where I had plowed. It was going to be a lot of work but he was home all day and had the time to get it done at a leisurely pace.

I'm at work and son number one calls me and says, I can't get my car out, it's still stuck in the the snow. I say "then continue to dig it out until you can back the car out." He calls me back a couple hours later and says his car is still stuck and he can't get the snow out from under the car. This is the point when alarms start to go off. I say to him "it didn't snow under your car so why would there be snow under it?" (reasonable question, no?) He says "I don't know, it's just stuck".

Fast forward two hours when I pull into the driveway and see his car teetering on a mound of snow.....front and back wheels off the ground. Now, I usually don't curse, but today was an exception. Here's his car, balancing on a mound of snow (ok, I laughing now as I'm typing this but I was pretty furious when I came home).

So, we start digging......I make sure I pause at regular intervals to stare at him and shake my head, mumbling under my breath. Finally, I hook up the ole trusty chain to the back of his car and the hitch to my Tahoe and start the tug-o-war. I win, car's off the mound.

I need a drink.

Special Reserve
02-08-2010, 17:01
The forecast here in SE MI is for 6 to 10 inches of snow. My rule of thumb is to take about 50% of the smaller number for a more exact figure. So I may be looking at 3 to 4 inches of snow latter this week.

Currently there is only minimal (almost no) snow on the ground. A very mild winter.

Fortunately I'm well stocked with life's essentials.

fishnbowljoe
02-08-2010, 17:08
So, here's why I was really P.O.'d at my son today. I told him to dig out his car. It was still buried under 3+ feet of snow and had a large pile behind his car where I had plowed. It was going to be a lot of work but he was home all day and had the time to get it done at a leisurely pace.

I'm at work and son number one calls me and says, I can't get my car out, it's still stuck in the the snow. I say "then continue to dig it out until you can back the car out." He calls me back a couple hours later and says his car is still stuck and he can't get the snow out from under the car. This is the point when alarms start to go off. I say to him "it didn't snow under your car so why would there be snow under it?" (reasonable question, no?) He says "I don't know, it's just stuck".

Fast forward two hours when I pull into the driveway and see his car teetering on a mound of snow.....front and back wheels off the ground. Now, I usually don't curse, but today was an exception. Here's his car, balancing on a mound of snow (ok, I laughing now as I'm typing this but I was pretty furious when I came home).

So, we start digging......I make sure I pause at regular intervals to stare at him and shake my head, mumbling under my breath. Finally, I hook up the ole trusty chain to the back of his car and the hitch to my Tahoe and start the tug-o-war. I win, car's off the mound.

I need a drink.

So, are you teetering now Greg? :lol: Not laughing at you Greg, I'm laughing with you. My son is a very smart young man, but he does some "interesting" things at times, to say the least. Joe

spun_cookie
02-08-2010, 17:10
... I pull into the driveway and see his car teetering on a mound of snow.....front and back wheels off the ground. .

I cannot tell you how many times I have seen this up in Tahoe.... nothing like digging your car out and putting the snow in your way...

Just for fun, here is our version

cigarnv
02-09-2010, 03:59
Here we go again... another 12-20" headed towards Virginia today......

fishnbowljoe
02-09-2010, 15:25
Here's a couple pics from our latest storm. We have about 6" or so on the ground right now, and possibly another 1"-2" forecast for tonight. Looks like we'll be closer to 8" and not 12", so at least we're at the low end of what was predicted. It's going to get colder tonight, and then the winds are supposed to pick up. Gusts as high as 35 mph. Probably have to shovel this mess again. :smiley_acbt: Looks like another Weller night. Joe

ggilbertva
02-09-2010, 19:26
It's snowing right now (again)......and I'm drinking bourbon....drinking bourbon.....drinking bourbon....drinking bourbon.......

T Comp
02-09-2010, 19:45
Looks like another Weller night.

And Joe, how many nights aren't?:lol: Old Weller Antique for me tonight also. After some shoveling and blowing this late afternoon, I'm waiting it out till early tomorrow morning.

cigarnv
02-10-2010, 02:48
It's snowing right now (again)......and I'm drinking bourbon....drinking bourbon.....drinking bourbon....drinking bourbon.......

Not much more you can do my friend!!!!

dgonano
02-10-2010, 08:33
Blizzard conditions in Maryland. Already been plowing. No place to put the snow!!! Also decided to get some snow(40 inches since saturday) off my deck. It's getting worse. Time for some tea laced with WT Honey....oh hell, just bring on the Willett!

SMOWK
02-10-2010, 09:59
Looks like we're only going to get a few more inches on top of the foot or so we got the other day. The lady has been real happy being off of school. She's only been in for 2 days in the past two weeks. I'm guessing she may go in Friday, but Monday is President's Day.

Me, I spent all last night at the Quality Inn in Ocean City replacing every computer in the place. I had a good time, but the technicians Dell sent out to give me a hand were pissed. The one guy wouldn't stop cussing at himself and throwing the mice around. Brand new mice at that...LOL. At least I had a good time. Took a few breaks to hang out on the top floor watching the beach get covered in snow.

fishnbowljoe
02-10-2010, 14:58
I will be drinking something tonight. Although the storm wasn't as bad as first predicted, we did have an earthquake near here this morning. :skep: Whatcha gonna do? :rolleyes: Joe

Special Reserve
02-10-2010, 16:02
When I got home from work someone (presumably my neighbor) has removed the snow from my driveway and sidewalks.

Maybe I'll have to share some bourbon with her.

My neighbor has a monster 2-stage snow blower and his wife loves using it. I'll edge their walks and drive during the summer months.

ThomasH
02-10-2010, 16:07
The main thing standing between the snow and my bourbon is midnight shift. In the morning, I'm just too tired to have a drink. On a brighter note, I found a solution to the ongoing snow removal: my 9 year old son who loves to run the snow thrower. Supervising isn't so bad after all!

Thomas

ggilbertva
02-10-2010, 16:08
Blizzard conditions in Maryland. Already been plowing. No place to put the snow!!! Also decided to get some snow(40 inches since saturday) off my deck. It's getting worse. Time for some tea laced with WT Honey....oh hell, just bring on the Willett!

Can't believe you actually tried to go out and plow. The wind was whipping around so much today, I have drifts in front on my door approaching 5 feet. In fact, check this picture out.....it wasn't like that yesterday.

CorvallisCracker
02-10-2010, 16:16
A mild winter this year in the Willamette, being an El Nino year. No snow, and only one cold snap (mid December).

Sunday we'd originally planned gumbo for SB halftime, but it was 60 degrees and sunny, so we fired up the grill and had bratwurst instead.

Stu
02-10-2010, 16:17
When I lived in Ohio I had an 18 hp MTD mower with a snow blade. When I sold it here in Arkansas the guy didn't want the blade. If any of you are interested send me a pm. It'll go cheap because I have a Kubota tractor with a front end loader and a Deere that also has a loader.

ggilbertva
02-10-2010, 18:04
When I lived in Ohio I had an 18 hp MTD mower with a snow blade. When I sold it here in Arkansas the guy didn't want the blade. If any of you are interested send me a pm. It'll go cheap because I have a Kubota tractor with a front end loader and a Deere that also has a loader.

I've got a zero turn Kubota and a 1972 Farmall 140 with a blade. It works for the most part but when the snow gets to be too much, I bog down. This is the first year where I've had to plow over the course of days. Usually, a couple passes up and down the drive is all that's needed.

dgonano
02-10-2010, 20:28
I'm about 95% done. Blizzard or not, it's easier to move 8 to 10 inches twice, than 16 to 20 once. But again, no place to deposit the snow. I had to eventually shovel over six to eight foot mounds.

callmeox
02-10-2010, 20:31
You need a snowblower and the wind at your back.

As someone who frequently runs out of room to put snow in the winter, that's the best advice that I can give you.

jfw
02-10-2010, 22:32
O.K, I've been shoveling the 5 feet of snow here this week and have noticed that a few bottles seem a bit lower than a week ago. I've been working on a bottel of Woodford Reserve, an Old Forester dusty and a bottle of Four Roses Yellow.

Being snowed-in doesn't seem to be good for my liver but the bourbon does seem to help with back pain :)

cigarnv
02-11-2010, 05:04
Are we done yet????

The Boozer
02-11-2010, 09:16
We had a very docile 7-8 inches in SE MI. For the people out east - I feel your pain :grin:.
TJ

dgonano
02-11-2010, 11:44
Just wrapped-up this morning...so-o-oh much fun. Still have to clear the sidewalk.

callmeox
02-11-2010, 14:33
It looks like you live at the end of the Olympic half-pipe.

ggilbertva
02-11-2010, 15:28
This morning I left for work at 7:00 a.m. At 2:00 pm I finally made it out of the driveway. I got my SUV stuck half way down the drive and it took 6.5 hours to clear the driveway. I figured I could make it down since the snow didn't "appear" to be too deep on the drive after yesterdays snow.....but, with the high winds, I ended up with drifts as high as 4 feet at the middle to the end of the driveway (my drive is 350 ft long). On top of all that, the overnight snow plows dumped a massive pile of snow in front of my driveway. If not for my neighbor bringing his snow blower over and the kindness of a state worker that cleared the end of my driveway with his huge tractor, I'd still be digging out. In case I haven't mentioned it.....I HATE SNOW!!!!!

Tonight, I'll raise a glass to my neighbor, state worker dude, and my wonderful wife and kids who worked all the day long shoveling.

MarkEdwards
02-11-2010, 17:31
Man, speaking of snow:

http://professional-geek.com/personal/files/html/winter2010.htm

This is TEXAS, for heaven's sake, and we are about to beat our record for largest single-day snowfall in 35 years. I'm glad that I don't have to be out in it, and can just sit and sip my GTS.

spun_cookie
02-11-2010, 18:22
... I pull into the driveway and see his car teetering on a mound of snow.....front and back wheels off the ground. Now, I usually don't curse, but today was an exception. Here's his car, balancing on a mound of snow (ok, I laughing now as I'm typing this but I was pretty furious when I came home).

I got my SUV stuck half way down the drive and it took 6.5 hours to clear the driveway. I figured I could make it down since the snow didn't "appear" to be too deep on the drive after yesterdays snow.....

I think it might be best if you let your wife do the driving:slappin: :rolleyes: :skep: :stickpoke: :70358-devil:

ggilbertva
02-12-2010, 19:36
two pics of yesterdays fun