PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Bourbon

hectic1
12-25-2009, 06:34
Did Santa bring bourbon for anyone? I looked under the tree but I didn't find any...:(

George
12-25-2009, 06:37
None under the tree, but thanks goodness there is plenty in the cabinet. :grin:

fishnbowljoe
12-25-2009, 07:19
Santa brought me an EWSB gift set with a flask. :grin: Joe

IronHead
12-25-2009, 07:26
I got a decanter set with two glasses, but no bourbon. But, I bet I could find something lying around to put in it...Now I just need to find out if it is lead free crystal.

jburlowski
12-25-2009, 07:28
Found one of the little BTEC bottles tucked in my stocking.

WsmataU
12-25-2009, 07:50
I got a decanter set with two glasses, but no bourbon. But, I bet I could find something lying around to put in it...Now I just need to find out if it is lead free crystal.

Me too! My wife gave me a really nice pair of Riedel Single Malt glasses. I noticed that the Reidel Bourbon glasses are lead free whereas the Single Malt are not. I've read comments in some threads that leaded crystal is not recommended for some tastings. Can anyone explain why?

hectic1
12-25-2009, 08:00
I was just thinking...I did get some money though so now I get to decide what bourbon I'll get for Christmas...I'm thinking about a OFBB 2006 or 2008 as I don't have any of those in the collection! :yum:

Jono
12-25-2009, 08:15
Wow, Santa was very nice....Thomas Handy 2008....my first...looking forward to this very much.

In addition, Santa threw in a Black Bottle as well.....

Enjoy your Holiday!

MJL
12-25-2009, 08:34
More importantly who started off Chistmas morning with a little nip from the Christmas Bourbon...call it a visit from the spirit of Christmas past, present or future!:slappin:

IronHead
12-25-2009, 08:40
Me too! My wife gave me a really nice pair of Riedel Single Malt glasses. I noticed that the Reidel Bourbon glasses are lead free whereas the Single Malt are not. I've read comments in some threads that leaded crystal is not recommended for some tastings. Can anyone explain why?

Apparently alcohol in prolonged contact with lead crystal will leech some of the lead out of the crystal and into the liquid. For tastings I wouldn't think the whiskey would be in contact with the glasses long enough to pick up anything more than traces, but I suppose it could still affect the taste.

ThomasH
12-25-2009, 08:48
I haven't had any bourbon yet, but a little later we will be having a sampling of Four Roses which includes SB bottlings of various strengths and in 8 of the 10 mashbills, a yellow label, a small batch and 08 and 09 Mariage bottlings!

Thomas

silverfish
12-25-2009, 08:56
Got a 1.75 of WLWeller SR 7 yr and a bottle of Sweet Lucy.
Books received were MJ Whiskey and Bourbon, Straight by
Cowdery. Gifts to myself - Kopper Kettle, White Lightning
and BT White Dog.

I gave my sister-in-law a 4.5 litre of Johnnie Walker Red.
Shoulda seen her face!

tommyboy38
12-25-2009, 09:16
Santa Claus brought me a sliding miter saw and 6 Glencairn glasses.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL!!!!

spun_cookie
12-25-2009, 10:05
No bourbon here... but I gave a few folks some... 'tis better to give :D

p_elliott
12-25-2009, 10:23
For bourbon I got Blanton's, Ezara Brooks SB 12YO and for Whiskey I got a Bernheim. I also got two books on bourbon history and two jigger glasses marked Very Old Barton mostly for display.

T Comp
12-25-2009, 11:14
Clothes, books and cash from a source, other than me, for BOURBON. They did a great job last year with a PVW 15 and ER 17 but know I'd really rather pick em myself. Of course, the failed intervention for my Whiskey Nervosa may have had a cause also :cool: .

rmallen
12-25-2009, 11:43
My wife gave me two bottles of bourbon this year -- EWSB and Fighting Cock (she thought the name was funny). :grin:

She also gave me a nice bottle of Scotch -- Ardbeg Corryvreckan.

marco246
12-25-2009, 12:15
A friend in Kentucky sent me a baseball autographed by Jimmy Russell, Parker Beam, Fred Noe, Kevin Smith, Jim Rutledge, Craig Beam, Chris Morris, and Greg Davis. Don't know whether these fellers can play ball, but they sure can make whiskey.

Vosgar
12-25-2009, 15:36
My wonderful youngest sister and her husband (a JD man) bought me a Binny's Weller 12. I always did like this sister better than the other one:grin:

Now it's time to enjoy a little Jefferson's

Merry Christmas everyone.

Awax1978
12-25-2009, 16:07
No bourbon under the tree, but my wife did get me a copy of Chuck's book. I'll look forward to reading it on my next flight!

tsangster
12-25-2009, 16:19
No bourbon (yet), but did receive a gift card to one of my favorite liquor/cigar stores - tough choice. Also received a flask (empty?).

Special Reserve
12-25-2009, 17:27
No bourbon here, but I did get a gift card from work so that may change. Like I need more bourbon.

What I should do is spend the gift card on gasoline, and add that money to the bourbon fund with the intend of getting one of those ORVW 23 sets. With some other funds I'd be about a quarter of the way there. At $20/week in a half year it could be mine.

IronHead
12-25-2009, 18:41
Delima...I got some cash for xmas and the decanter set my wife got me may not be lead free crystal...If it isn't then it will need to go back which will give me enough money for one of the ORVW 114 sets. The cash will likely go to bourbon regardless, but I am fighting with the price tag on this set. Do I blow the whole wad on one bottle or buy several really good bottles? Decisions, decisions...

spun_cookie
12-25-2009, 18:44
blow the wad... you get the bourbon and the decanter :D ... and you can send me a sample :D

IronHead
12-25-2009, 18:48
But this does beg the question: Is the flippin' Van Winkle decanter lead free?

spun_cookie
12-25-2009, 18:49
But this does beg the question: Is the flippin' Van Winkle decanter lead free?

Yes, it is part of the curent glencairn crystal (lead free) line....

IronHead
12-25-2009, 18:57
You're not helping matters, here. You know that, right?

nblair
12-25-2009, 19:03
I received a copy of the book, But Always Fine Bourbon, some PVW 15, and Lot B. Then tomorrow on my trip from KY to Wisconsin to visit family, I'm picking up a bottle of GTS and WLW that have been on hold for me. I'm a first time poster, long time reader, and needless to say, you all have helped expand my horizons. The funny thing is, the book might be my favorite so far! What an outstanding read, its very interesting and has given me the urge to track down some SW bourbon. Merry Christmas!

spun_cookie
12-25-2009, 19:11
You're not helping matters, here. You know that, right?

I'm your pusher baby :D

Ruby K
12-25-2009, 19:31
No bourbon, though last night i got to taste WT American Honey for the first time (bah humbug!). OTOH, the wife did get me "Kentucky Bourbon: the early years" and some cash to buy the 4R 120th I found by complete accident the other day.

Pirate762
12-25-2009, 19:34
Well, here is one for the books.

My daughter asked me what I would like for Christmas and I said EWSB 2000, OGD 114, or Bookers (the 130.1 stuff). Well she is not old enough to buy booze (18) so she asked her mom (my ex) to get it for me.

I got a 750 Grey Goose and a Patron Silver..... Go figure.

My GF, however, scored two WRMC 1838 Sweet Mash bottles AND two BTEC boxes for me as a suprise. It worked too... I was really suprised.

Guess I traded up nicely...

Merry Christmas everyone, and Happy New Year.

Jim

ggilbertva
12-25-2009, 21:13
'09 Stagg and WLW.

loose proton
12-25-2009, 21:50
...Patron Silver...two WRMC 1838 Sweet Mash
These sound nice. Patron is great and I love the Sweet mash. I'm going to try to dig up another bottle of sweet mash before it's gone.

funknik
12-26-2009, 08:17
My in-laws surprised me with a liter of WT8 from Northern Maine! I had mentioned to my father-in-law a while back that these might be available at the duty free shops near the Canadian border up there, but he led me to believe the crossings were too podunk to carry them.

It pays to have relatives so close to Canada! I told him that he opened up a can of worms now, though, and he'll have to grab some every time they visit! :cool:

tommyboy38
12-26-2009, 08:56
And a $25 to Binny's yeasterday afternoon.
I guess I need to visit Joe at Binny's.

hectic1
12-26-2009, 11:53
I visited Binny's today and came away with an Old Forrester Repeal Gift Set...what can I say, I wanted the glass! That was the only bourbon I got this Christmas. I guess I was on Santa's naughty list! :(

bonneamie
12-26-2009, 11:59
My DH gave me the EWSB set with the flask. Very handy since I had just finished a bottle of EWSB on Christmas Eve.

camduncan
12-26-2009, 13:03
Well, no bourbon this year, but I did receive three seperate gifts of Jim Beam flavoured fudge :yum:

HighTower
12-26-2009, 14:30
nblair....
right on, I enjoyed every minute of that book, must pick it up again some time soon. Enjoy the bourbon and welcome aboard!!

Scott

I received a copy of the book, But Always Fine Bourbon, some PVW 15, and Lot B. Then tomorrow on my trip from KY to Wisconsin to visit family, I'm picking up a bottle of GTS and WLW that have been on hold for me. I'm a first time poster, long time reader, and needless to say, you all have helped expand my horizons. The funny thing is, the book might be my favorite so far! What an outstanding read, its very interesting and has given me the urge to track down some SW bourbon. Merry Christmas!

wes
12-26-2009, 15:24
My wife got me a gift card to a local wine shop with a modest collection of whiskey. Bought a bottle of Black Maple Hill from there today, but out of habit used the credit card to pay for it. I take it as a sign that I deserve to buy myself more.

HighTower
12-26-2009, 15:58
My wife got me a gift card to a local wine shop with a modest collection of whiskey. Bought a bottle of Black Maple Hill from there today, but out of habit used the credit card to pay for it. I take it as a sign that I deserve to buy myself more.
Wes,

I too received a gift card that can be used at a major liquor retailer here, and you have just given me a great idea!!:lol: OooooooooooppppS!

Cheers

Scott

gblick
12-26-2009, 18:55
Nothing under the tree, but a couple of buddies gave me a WSR and PKXO for Christmas at a jam session last weekend.

callmeox
12-26-2009, 19:37
No bourbon under the tree for me this year. I was gifted a copy of Chuck's book, but I already own it so I may swap it out or perhaps donate it to the local library. I also have a "Got Bourbon?" hoodie on the way. Apparently Santa's elves were a bit behind in making them.

smokinjoe
12-26-2009, 20:05
Received a bottle of Blanton's, bottle of Southeast Kentucky Moonshine :o, and the Always Fine Bourbon book. And, for the 28th straight year, received a whiskey miniature from my wife. Been getting them since we dated in college. This year it was Jameson's. She said it is getting hard to find bourbon mini's that are glass. All's good, as long as it's whiskey. I still have them all, and all are unopened. As I was looking up on the shelf where I display them, I notice some are very dusty. Almost makes my heart startaracin' for the hunt. :D

BourbonJoe
12-27-2009, 09:23
Over the holiday I had a couple sips of a 1938 Haller's County Fair, some Overholt from the 30's and a bottle (don't remember the name) from 1911.
All were excellent.
Joe :usflag:

TomH
12-27-2009, 15:49
Thanks to the recommendaton of an TOP NOTCH liquor store salesperson my father-in-law gave me a bottle of Pappy 15.

On the dark side, I also got a Chivas Gift set. While I try to keep a bottle available for guests, I really liked the slanted glasses that came in the set.

Tom

independant
12-27-2009, 16:23
Nothing under the tree for me. I had asked my brother in law to pick me up some WT8 in Canada but he flew into the airport to late and the duty free was closed. While up in Vermont for christmas I planned to pick up a bottle or two but I have never seen such a bourbon wasteland. 5 stores visited and nothing. I mean nothing. I understand Vermont is a control state but that is the worst I have ever seen. When you can only get OGD and WT in the lower proofs you have a problem, I was told I could special order the WT101.:)

NYtaster
12-27-2009, 17:39
No Bourbon but my son did get me a couple of JD classes that are pretty nice.

birdman1099
12-27-2009, 18:08
No bottles here either, but I did get enough in funds to get me a bottle. Anyone in the Indy area seen a PH 50 anniv. yet????:skep:

TomH
12-27-2009, 18:27
Technically yes....I'm in Indy and I've seen one......it's in my bunker.....

BUT I got it when we took the F-I-L to Chicago to see a show and stopped in Binny's.

Tom

birdman1099
12-27-2009, 18:50
Technically yes....I'm in Indy and I've seen one......it's in my bunker.....

BUT I got it when we took the F-I-L to Chicago to see a show and stopped in Binny's.

Tom

Unless I can come over and drink it, i'm gonna need my own bottle !!!:grin:

bonneamie
12-28-2009, 05:25
On the dark side, I also got a Chivas Gift set. While I try to keep a bottle available for guests, I really liked the slanted glasses that came in the set.

Tom

We got that same set for my BIL. I love the glasses but I certainly hope he doesn't try to pass off the bottle on guests (that would be me!).

synonomous
12-28-2009, 08:08
It was a Merry Christmas for me, I came away with GTS 09, ER17 09, Hancocks Reserve, Old Weller 107, and PVW 20. Happy Holidays to all!

loose proton
12-28-2009, 15:36
It was a Merry Christmas for me, I came away with GTS 09, ER17 09, Hancocks Reserve, Old Weller 107, and PVW 20. Happy Holidays to all!
Holy cats, santa likes you!

smokinjoe
12-28-2009, 18:10

Well, it's fitting then. As, "...a Merry Christmas for me", is synonymous with "...came away with GTS 09, ER17 09, Hancocks Reserve, Old Weller 107, and PVW 20."

Well done, and you have very nice friends and family. And, welcome aboard!
:toast: