PDA

View Full Version : another new member from Chitown

hangten
12-27-2009, 23:19
Hey all,

I'm a new member from Chicago and wanted to introduce myself. I am a new person to fine liquors and spirits. In fact, prior to this year I did not enjoy the taste of alcohol. The biggest reason that I have begun trying different liquors now is that all my favorite foods are beginning to get a little boring and I want to see if liquors can take place on my palate. I have enjoyed very sweet drinks in the past and have become a fan of Moscato d Asti wines. Now I have moved to liquors and am trying everything that I can get my hands on. Nothing tastes all that great now but I am trying to acquire the taste. Hell, it took me 5 years before I truly enjoyed the flavor of premium cigars.

I do get obsessive compulsive and already bought the following:

Maker's mark
2 bottles of ER17
2 bottles of GTS
Suntory Yamazaki 12
Glenmorangie 10y
Pierre Ferrand Reserve Cognac
Pierre Ferrand Selection de Anges
Pierre Ferrand Memoires 1973

Currently out of the batch I like the ER17, PF Selection de Anges and the Glenmorangie the best. I have identified my next bottle to be rye, probably Rittenhouse 100 proof. I have access to 3 binnys here in Chicago so choice is not an issue:grin: .

p_elliott
12-28-2009, 09:21
Guy slow down here your throwing darts at a dart board and spending a lot of money doing so. First research, that's what sites like this are for, then think about what you have read, then don't start at the top shelf. You don't have the pallet for it and your pissing your money away. Scotch and bourbon are miles away from one another pick one. Then decide if you like it, if you don't try the other one. I like bourbon, rye and Wheat whiskey but not blended, Canadian or scotch for example. Let's say we put what you bought on the shelf and start from scratch. For one thing if you don't know what your doing you can actually do physical harm to your self with the GTS. Lets start with bourbon because that's what I know more about and I think you will like best. Pick up a nice mid shelf bourbon like to start with Ridgemont Reserve 1792, now how are we going to consume this you can start with one of two ways over ice or with a little water. See which way you like it better now you can do one of two things continue to consume it that way in the future or reduce the ice/water until your drinking it neat. Neat is not for everyone so that does not have to be a goal. How you drink your whiskey is your business. But once you get a taste for it and how to drink it then you venture out trying other things new bourbons then other whiskeys.

hangten
12-28-2009, 10:40
haha, I see were my post may have sounded a little manic. All the bottles have been bought over the course of the year. I started with MM and drank it several ways, neat, over ice, and with varying amounts of water. I picked up the BTACs but only opened one bottle of ER17. The rest are bunkered for a day when I feel that I am ready. I wanted to grab some now so that I don't lose out later.

Thanks for the advice though, I do need to slow down sometimes. I picked up the top shelf stuff for bunkering and am now focusing on the midshelf stuff in the coming year.

I'll keep the Ridgemont on the list. :grin:

hangten
12-28-2009, 14:07
actually rereading these posts, I will pick up the ridgemont tonight and let you know what I think about it. Thanks for the help!

ILLfarmboy
12-28-2009, 14:13
Paul made a lot of good points, especially sticking to one spirit. Think of exploring different kinds of whiskey as best being done in serial monogamy. Switching back and forth can confuse a novice more than educate him.

Midshellf pours are an exelent place to start with, especialy with bourbon. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get good bourbon or rye.

You can break bourbon down into wheaters (Maker's Mark) and rye recipe bourbons (Wild Turkey). Read as much here as you can. You'll soak up valuable information regarding mash bills, which bourbons are wheaters and which ones use rye and are they high rye (Four Roses) and which ones are low rye, your explorations will be targeted. You'll know what you are tasting and can make judgments as to what it is you like and don't like so much. And save money.

Also, don't make the mistake that because something is top shelf and if you don't like it, there's something wrong. (I personaly find ER 17 to be too dry) It is not necessarily the best representative if its style, just more expensive. Mids-shelf and upper mid-shelf bourbons, the ones that tend to consistently get high praise form serious drinkers tend to be the best exemplars of their respective distilleries. They also tend to be af a median age, neither too young, nor overly oaked. Another good reason to start in the middle.

fishnbowljoe
12-28-2009, 20:23
Welcome to SB HT. Looks like the northern Illinois contingent is growing yet again. I'm from Rockford. :grin: Brad and Paul pretty much covered most of the bases. One thing about being from Chicago, you certainly won't have any lack of choices when it comes to whiskies. Binny's is first rate. If you ever get to the South Loop store, Joe and Bret can be very helpful. Their knowledge about bourbon and scotch is amazing. Again, welcome and cheers! Joe

tommyboy38
12-28-2009, 20:38
orget the mid-shelf and go right to the bottom shelf. Get some Old Fitz BIB and some Very Old Barton. Binny's is just about the only place that carries the VOB.

TomH
12-29-2009, 08:54
As someone who enjoys most spirits (Gin is the one exception for me), I don't agree with with the idea of sticking to just one spirit. While concentrating on one spirit does enable a person to develop an expertise, for me the goal is enjoying myself. Switching between scotch, bourbon, rye, othe whisk(e)ys, rum and tequila depending on my mood makes drinking all the more enjoyable. I frequently find that after 2-3 days of one drink, I really look forward to the difference another spirit gives.

I won't discourage Tommyboy's suggestion to discover some of the values of the lower shelf offerings, but I have always taken to heart the advice giving to me by a very entertaining somellier (I know the spelling is wrong) who had several wine tastings we attended "When you die do you want to see St. Peter at the Golden Gate and tell him the last thing you tasted was Indiana wine.

Tom
who enjoys staying with the top shelf

p_elliott
12-29-2009, 10:07
Hi Tom

My advise was not permanent I was just suggesting this till he got his feet on the ground or pallet as it were. I'm all for diversity that's the name of the game but you have to crawl before you walk and walk before you run, don't you?

Paul

smokinjoe
12-29-2009, 12:03
Do whatever floats your board, Hangten. There are no rules. We do this for enjoyment, so be a little manic if you want. But, if you're going to go trying some tequilas, I don't recommend you snorting the salt and tossing the tequila over your shoulder. :D Although, it did get Ty Webb lucky. ;)

BTW, I quite enjoy the Ridgemont Reserve 1792, though it's not for everyone. Let us know what you think, and welcome to the island.

Cheers!

Vosgar
12-29-2009, 18:48
Hey all,

. I have identified my next bottle to be rye, probably Rittenhouse 100 proof. I have access to 3 binnys here in Chicago so choice is not an issue:grin: .

I just finished a pour of Rittenhouse 100 and recommend it highly. Had some last night and enjoyed it soooooooooo much I thought I should have more tonight. Good call on my part if I do say so myself.

Having Binny's close by is great but can be daunting since they have such a huge selection. What to buy! What a great problem to have. I found it's fun to buy a couple of bottles you thought about ahead of time and then something else just for the hell of it. It's all good, just some are better than others.

Welcome to SB

hangten
12-31-2009, 00:11
ok, I picked up the ridgemont a couple of nights ago and am drinking it as I type. Started neat. On the nose, I smell bananas! Take a sip and I feel the strong burn as it goes down, reminds me of cough syrup. The finish I feel a cherry flavor going on.

Next, I add some voss water and the banana smell is even stronger. Reminds me of bananas foster with some sweet molasses in the background. The amount of water has not reduced the burn at all. And the taste is relatively the same.

For now, my palate is still not sophisticated to tell what is going on here. The nose though is having fun breathing in the bananas foster.

ILLfarmboy
12-31-2009, 14:46
I'm surprised you found Ridgmont Reserve to burn 'going down', after you added water.

What is your impression of Maker's Mark? How much water did you add?

hectic1
01-01-2010, 19:09
Welcome to the forum...

If you have a couple Binny's close I would suggest you give their private barrel selections a try. IIRRC they have BT, Weller 12, ETL, Baby Saz, EC 18, ERSB, Blanton's, and Four Roses Barrel Strength. I have tried all but the EC 18, and Baby Saz and I have found that in all cases I have prefered the Binny's bottling to the standard issue. Good luck staying out of Binny's...I know I haven't been able to! :D

PS. I claim the Naperville, Willowbrook, and Plainfield Binny's as mine! ;)

tommyboy38
01-02-2010, 06:54
I already claimed the Willowbrook Binny's.....CLAIMJUMPER!!!!

hectic1
01-02-2010, 09:49
Damn...were you the one that bought up all the VWFRR from there? I was able to poach 3 bottles from "your" Binny's! :D FYI, a source deep within Binny's has informed me that January 9th will be a 15% off day...keep that on the DL though! ;)

TomH
01-02-2010, 10:55
Be nice you guys....that was one of my favorite places long before it was a Binny's.

Tom

hangten
01-05-2010, 09:10
I'm surprised you found Ridgmont Reserve to burn 'going down', after you added water.

What is your impression of Maker's Mark? How much water did you add?

I actually have been revisiting how I drink lately and when I made the burn comment, I believe that I took too large and too quick of a gulp. I have been playing with savoring and holding the bourbon longer and am not feeling that burn at the back of my throat. As for water, I added a non-scientific splash of water though I am no longer adding water at this point.

hangten
01-05-2010, 09:15
Be nice you guys....that was one of my favorite places long before it was a Binny's.

Tom

I was at the South loop location as I work downtown yesterday and had a cool converstation with Joe. Joe is a really cool guy and helped me out with some selections. I don't see why I'll need to go anywhere but Binny's for my liquor selection.

Lost Pollito
01-05-2010, 09:21
Nice meeting you yesterday Hangten. Hope you enjoy the bourbon. :grin:

fishnbowljoe
01-05-2010, 14:54
Ah Yes. Binny's South Loop store. :cool: As close to bourbon heaven as there is in this area. Joe and Bret are great people. I can't say I like the drive in, but the selection, and above all the friendship, generosity, and knowledge of Joe and Brett are second to none. Makes it all worth while. Cheers! Joe

By the way, what did you buy HT? :grin:

hangten
01-05-2010, 17:17
I acquired a bottle of 4R barrel stregnth OESV and a bottle of PVW15. I opened the 4R and it was very good. The nose was very floral and definite hints of almonds.

tommyboy38
01-09-2010, 00:10
Keep up the good work. Sounds like the bunker is off to a good start.