PDA

View Full Version : What Beer are you Drinking - Winter 09/10

HipFlask
12-28-2009, 20:54
Well with the shortest day of the year and the holidays upon us it is time to start a new thread. The Winter Lagers and Holiday beers are out now. So what are you drinking to stay warm on a cold winters night?

I myself am enjoying a Beligain Ale Kasteel Donker Strong Ale weighing in at 11% ABV. Simply an outstanding beer. There is enough carbonation that it fizzes like Coke a Cola. Any similarity stops there though. Dark brown colored with a medium beige head. Aroma of roasted malts and candy sugar. Taste is also roasted malt, with a sweet aftertaste of candy sugars in it. Light caramel, and some notes of spice. The Bubbles and foam cling to the glass and leave a line with each sip. The Packers have made the playoffs so I think a Delirium Nocturnum at 9% ABV is going to be up next to celebrate.

spun_cookie
12-28-2009, 20:58
Yes................m.m.m...m.....

SMOWK
12-30-2009, 17:03
Stone IPA. Man I love IPAs.

The dogfish head brewery is right up the road, and they've got me hooked on hops. I know a lot of people think they overdo it, but that's how I like it! Must be why Stagg neat is one of my favorites. A real kick to the face!

GOCOUGS2002
12-30-2009, 20:03
Drinking a Red Hook Winter Hook beer tonight. First tried it at the brewery in Woodinville last year; I will look forward to this offering each winter.

Thesh
12-31-2009, 02:33
Bourbon County Stout. Never heard of it before, saw it at bevmo and picked it up. It's pretty good stuff.

HipFlask
01-01-2010, 01:02
Today all I had was a Rolling Rock and a Stella Atoris with a Bloody Mary. Happy New Year Everyone!

Phischy
01-08-2010, 15:46
On tap I currently have a belgian dark strong, a russian imperial stout, a blend of 4 Lost Abbey barrel aged beers, a very hoppy IPA and a hoppy red ale.

Looking to get a chest freezer so I can expand from 5 taps to 10 or 11 taps, all homebrew.

Buddies and I got a Heaven Hill barrel and are now in the process of picking a brew schedule to fill it up with an RIS and let it age for 6 months. make our own bourbon RIS!

nor02lei
01-09-2010, 01:37
I did have a few micro beers at one of my favourite bars Oliver Twist in Stockholm Wednesday before going on a cruise. One of them was Titan IPA that I normally like a lot, but not this time. It had a bad side taste somewhat sweetish of yeast and the hops were very discrete. I have had the exact same problem ones with my Swedish favourite IPA Amarillo from the now closed ölands brewery. I think both were slightly infected. Last but not least I had my all time favourite beer Gordon’s IPA from Oscar Blouse brewery for the first time in a long time. It was so expansive that my lady and I shared it and we both thought it was amazing.

Leif

Str8ShooterEsq
01-09-2010, 07:40
I'm working my way through a case of Founders Breakfast Stout.

Outstanding!

ratcheer
01-09-2010, 15:37
I just had one of the Kirkland Signature (Costco) Amber Ale. Like the others I have tasted from this assortment, it is superb. These are some of the best beers I have ever had, not even considering the reasonable price.

Tim

Jono
01-11-2010, 11:26
Beer news:

http://www.nrc.nl/international/article2456216.ece/Heineken_acquires_Mexican_brewery_for_3.8_bln

Heineken is the Netherlands' largest brewer. Photo Bloomberg
Heineken acquires Mexican brewery for 3.8 bln
Published: 11 January 2010 16:56 | Changed: 11 January 2010 16:56
By our news staff

The Dutch multinational Heineken has purchased the Mexican brewer Femsa Cerveza for 3.8 billion euros.

Tecate, Dos Equis, Sol and others.

I like Dos Equis and Tecate...have not tried Sol.

DrinkyBanjo
01-11-2010, 13:04
Lots of beers going down lately. Lately I've had Stone Levitation, a bunch of Magic Hat from their Winter mixed pack, some Ramstein Winter Wheat, Smutty Nose Porter, IPA, and Pale Ale.

All in all lots of good beers. Out of all I was really impressed by Stone Levitation. A very nice Pale Ale with a great full bodied hop profile. I was quite shocked to see it was only 4.4 %. Highly recommended if you want a hop bomb but are not looking for a higher alcohol percentage.

Gillman
01-11-2010, 13:45
Had some good beers in New York recently including a pumpkin stout from a brewery called Fisherman which was very good. I preferred it a little sweeter and added some Imperial stout to do that: it hardly affected the pumpkin spices but added to the velvety richness. Generally I don't go in for unusually flavored beers but this was a winner.

Another: Smuttynose IPA from Massachusetts. This had a big Amarillo hop character that was complex and orange-like, really good (not raw and grapefruit pith-like many APAs are).

Finally, Sierra Nevada Wet Hop ale. I was skeptical of the wet hop concept (because I had read hops should be properly dried before use) but this converted me. The complex hops flavors melded into the malt in a unique way. Grand cru stuff.

Gary

emr454
01-11-2010, 20:46
Stone IPA. Man I love IPAs.

Amen! Stone, Southern Tier and Sierra Nevada are my all time favorite brands when it comes to IPA's.

I had a Saranac maple porter earlier, part of their 12 beers of winter mix pack. Pretty good, IMO. I couldnt pick up the maple, but there was definitely coffee, chocolate and a bit of smoke. They should sell that label by itself!

Eric

nor02lei
01-12-2010, 01:32
I had a Saranac maple porter earlier, part of their 12 beers of winter mix pack. Pretty good, IMO. I couldnt pick up the maple, but there was definitely coffee, chocolate and a bit of smoke. They should sell that label by itself!

Eric

I did have a Saranac imperial stout at Oliver Twist in Stockholm last week Eric. I must say that I wasn’t impressed at all. Very light body despite almost 10% alcohol. Must have bin a big part of sugar in that mash.

Leif

emr454
01-12-2010, 05:40
Saranac is sort of hit and miss with their products. Their Pale Ale and IPA are ok, good for summertime when its hot outside and you're in the mood for something other than water. It's definitely better than Bud or Coors Light IMO. Their Black and Tan wasn't too bad either, but alot of their beers seem thin and watery to me, sometimes metallic.

As I've seen suggested for Sam Adams, I think Saranac would benefit from cutting back their portfolio, if you will, by a 1/3 or more and concentrate on improving a dozen or so labels.

Eric

unclebunk
01-12-2010, 10:52
Domaine DuPage, a French-style Biere de Garde ale, from the Two Brothers Brewing Company in the western suburbs of Chicago. Very nice flavor and made me think spring may just get here after all. Bottoms up, to that!

Gillman
01-12-2010, 16:38
Leif, I would think you know Carnegie Porter and Sinebrychoff Porter (the latter from Finland as you know). I doubt any American Imperial porter can exceed these, especially the Koff.

Gary

nor02lei
01-13-2010, 04:26
Leif, I would think you know Carnegie Porter and Sinebrychoff Porter (the latter from Finland as you know). I doubt any American Imperial porter can exceed these, especially the Koff.

Gary

The Carnegie porter is an old label in Sweden Gary. It is a traditional a little sweet porter with low alcohol content (around 5.6) and it is relatively mild and a dissent beer but no favourite of mine. Still it may be the best full-scale brewery beer in Sweden. There are many porters from Swedish microbreweries that I like much more. I have only tasted the Sinebrychoff porter ones at the Helsinki beer festival in April. It was surprisingly good at around 7 % alcohol from a brewery that normally only make watery beer. Still there were much better porters from Finnish microbreweries at the event. Personally I think the better American imperial porters or stouts are enormously much better than these 2.

Leif

spun_cookie
01-13-2010, 20:21
Had the 2009 Trader Joe's beer... much better than the beer site reviews. Worth the $5 for a $750 easy....

CorvallisCracker
01-14-2010, 09:18
Sampled the Ninkasi "Total Domination" IPA recently - really liked it. Has a slight edge over Deschutes "Inversion", which had been my "go to" IPA.

unclebunk
01-14-2010, 09:38
Had the 2009 Trader Joe's beer... much better than the beer site reviews. Worth the $5 for a $750 easy....

I thought the same. Good beer, good value.

DrinkyBanjo
01-14-2010, 10:59
The other day I went to Rattle and Hum in NYC for a couple of pints. Had a Green Flash West Coast IPA first. Very nice, typical IPA.

While I was drinking that I noticed that they had about four beers on cask. I selected a Blue Point Sour Cherry Stout. I was a bit nervous about the sour cherry but it was very nice. I think I liked it more because it was on cask, very smooth. The cherry flavor was present in the nose but not the taste. Over all a nice beer.

spun_cookie
01-15-2010, 11:00
Last night was Hurculees Double IPA and Arrogant Bastard. I really like the AG and need to pick up some Bouble Bastard...

Anyone know where I can pick up a 3 L of each of those? I kept meaning to grab one and now I know they are getting thin...

Anyhow... both great beers...

nor02lei
01-18-2010, 13:51
Last night was Hurculees Double IPA and Arrogant Bastard. I really like the AG and need to pick up some Bouble Bastard...

Anyone know where I can pick up a 3 L of each of those? I kept meaning to grab one and now I know they are getting thin...

Anyhow... both great beers...

I really like the bubble Hercules Emerald, and I did have it both on tap and bottle in September on Stockholm beer and whisky festival. I did like it much more on tap despite being the same beer. It has been quit a long time since we had it in our government store (the 2008) and I am really looking forward for it to come again. The arrogant bastard on the other hand doesn’t impress that much on me.

Leif

cas
01-20-2010, 12:23
Goose Island Mild Winter Ale. Appropriate, given the mild winter we've had so far.
Craig

Vange
01-20-2010, 13:21
Victory V-12 - a Belgian style quad - good not great, not as great as real Belgian Quads such as Achel, Chimay, or Rochefort

Bellhaven Scottish Ale - nitrogen can and pours like a burgundy boddinton's, but better and a hint of sweetness and creamy. One of my new fav beers to just hang out with.

Lost Abbey Judgement Day - a quad from Oregon - I expecetd fireworks, it was a good beer, the alcohol came through a bit and it was spicier than I expected it to be.

Hobgoblin Dark English Ale - a solid brew, nice to have onhand as a house beer to serve to guests.

Ommegang Abbey Ale - for price this is a nice beer, a bit wine-like, but solid

unclebunk
01-20-2010, 13:29
Goose Island Mild Winter Ale. Appropriate, given the mild winter we've had so far.
Craig

I almost picked up this beer today at Trader Joe's. How is it? By the way, our winter has been anything but mild, with loads of snow and extended periods of sub-freezing temps. I've had to drink lots of high octane juice this winter to keep the old bones warm.:grin:

jsanford
01-21-2010, 14:21
Enjoyed the Hoppin' Frog Whisky Barrel-Aged B.O.R.I.S. Imperial Stout last night. Let me tell ya, there's a reason this stuff was named one of the 50 best beers in the WORLD. It was incredibly complex, tons of coffee and chocolate. Rare, but if you can find it, buy it!

unclebunk
01-21-2010, 15:34
Enjoyed the Hoppin' Frog Whisky Barrel-Aged B.O.R.I.S. Imperial Stout last night. Let me tell ya, there's a reason this stuff was named one of the 50 best beers in the WORLD. It was incredibly complex, tons of coffee and chocolate. Rare, but if you can find it, buy it!

That sure sounds good but I'm sure I've never seen it. I'll have to keep a lookout for it.

Special Reserve
01-21-2010, 16:26
Kilt Tilter Scotch Ale at Liberty Street Brewing in Plymouth. Creamy smooth and malty! I wish they'd have this year round.

Lost Pollito
01-21-2010, 20:43
Last night I hung at New Holland. Dragon's Milk, Pilgrims Pole, Mad Hatter, and Cabin Fever. Delicious evening. :grin:

DrinkyBanjo
01-22-2010, 05:18
Last night had some local NJ beers. River Horse Belgian Freeze and Ramstein Winter Wheat. I'm beginning to really enjoy both of those. After that had a Red Hook ESB (very nice, malty?) and Youngs Double Chocolate Stout for desert!

PAspirit1
01-22-2010, 16:15
Regular Guiness. The Anthony Bourdain in Ireland episode got me itching for this and I'm loving it. It's a beer that tastes like cofee in a good way.

Gillman
01-22-2010, 17:01
When in New York recently, I ran into Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout again. I really like the combination of stout and pumpkin beer flavours. At home, in the absence of a purpose-made pumpkin stout, I made my own. I combined 2/3rds a local craft stout and 1/3rd MacAuslan Pumpkin Ale from Montreal. I'm just loving the blending, it is very close to Fisherman's version or perhaps better. You can taste the gourd-like taste of the pumpkin beer but against a mild dark roasted palate highlighted with pumpkin pie spicing. Of the many innovations offered by micro-brewing I find this one of the best. And yet, really it is a spiced porter which probably is a very old idea. Everything old is new again.

Gary

texascarl
01-24-2010, 10:32
http://tinyurl.com/yc56ysh

An FYI. Next month Boulevard (Kansas City) will release their new Rye on Rye smokestack series, a rye ale aged in used Templeton rye barrels.

Gillman
01-24-2010, 13:58
Yesterday at a local commercial-oriented pub, Czechvar on draft, the Czech beer that is called Budweiser Budvar in certain markets. I gather it is getting increased distribution in North America, via I believe InBev.

The beer was super-fresh and had that inimitable flavour that combines Saaz hops with Moravian barley malt but with a twist unique to this brewery, which I would characterize as a vinous, white wine-like taste. This is one classy beer. There are some pilsener-style beers in North America that are as good IMO including ones made by Stoudt and Victory but this Czech original sets a high standard indeed.

Gary

jsanford
01-24-2010, 15:11
Had the 2009 Vintage Left Hand oak-aged Imperial stout last night...soooo good. Hit up the a specialty store in Charleston today for the very limited (only 50 bottles, 1 per person) Founders Reserve Breakfast Stout today. Super rare stout that is aged in used bourbon barrels, THEN aged in used maple syrup barrels. My buddy got number 47, I got number 48...glad i didnt get there 5 minutes later! I'll post about it when I decide to crack it, may be a very special occasion brew :lol:

smokinjoe
01-25-2010, 13:53
I just had one of the Kirkland Signature (Costco) Amber Ale. Like the others I have tasted from this assortment, it is superb. These are some of the best beers I have ever had, not even considering the reasonable price.

Tim

Tim, I picked up a case of this last week on your recommendations, and am working my way through them. I agree with you, they really are quite good. My case was $18. I have really been enjoying the Amber Ale and the German Lager particularly.

whskylvr
01-25-2010, 13:59
It's a cold, rainy, dreary day here in California - so I am sitting down by the fire reading Craft of Whiskey Distilling by Bill Owens and enjoying a
Yorkshire Stingo Ale from Sam Smith -- dark and rich with slight toffee, dried fruit and a very little oak taste.

jsanford
01-25-2010, 20:50
Enjoying Terrapins the Dark Side at the moment...been on such a imperial stout kick lately. Ehh, the passion will fade once the weather starts gettin warmer, so may as well enjoy em :lol:

craigthom
01-26-2010, 12:55
Bell's Hopslam, which apparently survived the Tuesday contest (and it really is no contest; I am very disappointed with the current version of New Albanian's Hoptimus), followed by New Albanian's Bonfire of the Valkyries.

Guess where I am, Timothy.

Tonight I hope to make it to Flanagan's in Louisville for the C1 event, but we'll see how it goes.

cas
01-29-2010, 05:17
I almost picked up this beer today at Trader Joe's. How is it? By the way, our winter has been anything but mild, with loads of snow and extended periods of sub-freezing temps. I've had to drink lots of high octane juice this winter to keep the old bones warm.:grin:

Highly recommended! Fairly rich, but not really heavy. We've had another blast of cold after several very mild weeks. Maybe I'm not drinking enough of it...
craig

smokinjoe
01-29-2010, 15:04
Welcoming the Weekend with a Bell's Hopslam, followed by a Fat Tire. Talk about two very different beers. Not sure I drank them in the right order, but I enjoyed them both. The Hopslam is really wonderful.

craigthom
01-29-2010, 18:16
I enjoyed the Hopslam a lot. It may require developing a tolerance for, I mean an appreciation of heavily hopped beers. It was surprisingly smooth and drinkable considering the hop impact and the high alcohol. I got a lot of grapefruit.

SMOWK
01-31-2010, 16:29
Nugget Nectar from Troeg's. It's been a while since I had this one. MIGHTY TASTY!! Kind of like a DFH 90 minute, with all the hop flavor, without the sweetness.

HipFlask
01-31-2010, 20:11
Well IPA's are big in the frig this weekend. Smuttnose IPA, 2 from Lagunitas> Maximus which is way up on the hoppy scale and Lil sumthin Extra. The latter of the two is King. I also cracked open a Meantime India Pale. bottle conditioned. Man I love bottle conditioned beers. I also had a Imperail Russian stout and and Imperial India Pale Ale from the Grumpy Troll brew house in Mount Horeb, WI. Fresh berr gotta love it!

smokinjoe
02-03-2010, 14:50
I'm welcoming 5:00 with an Atlanta Brewing Company's Red Brick 15th Anniversary Ale. This Special Release is their regular Brown Ale that has been aged 13 months in Pappy Van Winkle bourbon barrels. Mighty delicious. Very creamy, but not syrupy, and nicely carbonated. A subtle sweetness that I think is a result of the PVW barrel interaction. Very, very nice. I don't drink a lot of the Atlanta Brewing's beers, as I gravitate more towards Sweetwater as my home town fave. But, I'll definitely be exploring their regular offerings more, after this.

nor02lei
02-09-2010, 12:27
One of my highlights of the year is the release of the new SN celebration ale at our government store. That was February 1, but I did not have the beer until today. Very heavy and good as usual and a terrific food beer totally different from SNs other normal strength IPA torpedo. I did also have one of my favourite Swedish normal strength porters that also were a new release. ½ idjit from Dugges in Gothenburg that has a very special liquorish house stile on there dark beers.

Leif

ebo
02-09-2010, 18:14
Great Lakes Blackout Stout and Nosferatu Ale. mmmmmmmmm...........

cigarnv
02-10-2010, 02:57
I always enjoy Bells Brown, Lagunitas pale Ale and Dogtown Pale Ale and Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout which I try to age for 3+ years before drinking. Recently I pick up a few Founder's Breakfast Stout which was a bit different but very good.

smokinjoe
02-10-2010, 13:47
Picked up an 8-pack of Little Kings Cream Ale today, and am enjoying one now. You never see this down South, here. This was the beer of choice during my college days at Ball State. Everybody drank it, it seemed. The great thing about it, because they are 7 oz bottles, you could get the girls to drink it. :cool: I guess they were just used to small packages. :falling: Anywho, I think I spent more for today's 8-pack, than I did for a case back then...no, I'm sure I did...:rolleyes:

Josh
02-10-2010, 16:47
Picked up an 8-pack of Little Kings Cream Ale today, and am enjoying one now. You never see this down South, here. This was the beer of choice during my college days at Ball State. Everybody drank it, it seemed. The great thing about it, because they are 7 oz bottles, you could get the girls to drink it. :cool: I guess they were just used to small packages. :falling: Anywho, I think I spent more for today's 8-pack, than I did for a case back then...no, I'm sure I did...:rolleyes:

Funny! I'll have to give that a try.

I'm enjoying a can (yes can) of the Widow Maker Black Ale from Keweenaw Brewing Company out of Houghton, Michigan. It's named after a particularly dangerous pneumatic drill that was used in copper mines in the UP.

Keweenaw does all their beers in cans in an effort to bring craft beers to the masses. I don't know how effective it is, but I've liked everything I've had from them.

SBOmarc
02-13-2010, 15:36
Stone Levitation, followed by Stone Ruination. Hops, Hops, and more Hops.

Gillman
02-13-2010, 18:30
SJ, Little Kings always had a good rep even amongst the craft beer writers and many microbrew fans. It is one of the few mass market beers that achieved that status, and the reason is, it is very good! Cream ale at its best is an enduring style. I always liked Genessee Cream Ale on draft, less so in bottles but on draft in its home town (Rochester, NY) it is excellent. The origins of cream ale are a bit obscured in the mists of time, it seems to have been ale cold-lagered or possibly a mix of lager and ale. Anyway good brew and now that I've said all this will ya bring me a couple if you come to Randy's party? I'll bring you some Czech Pilsener Urquel brewed within the last 8 weeks (8 weeks before the party) that will knock your socks off.

Gary

SBOmarc
02-13-2010, 19:31
Thanks for the Genee reminder Gary.

When I think of what we paid for Kegs of this when in College. I clearly remember picking up 12 of them for a loooong weekend.

Also undrinkable in a bottle or can.

CorvallisCracker
02-14-2010, 10:28
Yesterday, after an afternoon of attacking an oversize cherry tree with my chain saw, had a Sam Adams "Noble Pils", one of their seasonal brews. Not bad, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get more, and am glad it was on sale when I bought it.

Last night, after attending an art show reception (wife had some pieces on display), we all returned to our house where I poured everyone a short glass of Rogue Chocolate Stout, served with a half of the GTS candy bar (two split in two to make four servings) on the side. Combination worked quite well.

smokinjoe
02-15-2010, 15:10
SJ, Little Kings always had a good rep even amongst the craft beer writers and many microbrew fans. It is one of the few mass market beers that achieved that status, and the reason is, it is very good! Cream ale at its best is an enduring style. I always liked Genessee Cream Ale on draft, less so in bottles but on draft in its home town (Rochester, NY) it is excellent. The origins of cream ale are a bit obscured in the mists of time, it seems to have been ale cold-lagered or possibly a mix of lager and ale. Anyway good brew and now that I've said all this will ya bring me a couple if you come to Randy's party? I'll bring you some Czech Pilsener Urquel brewed within the last 8 weeks (8 weeks before the party) that will knock your socks off.

Gary

Ya know, from what I remember, it still tastes like what it did back in college. I'll bring a couple to Houston for you, Gary.

Gillman
02-15-2010, 16:59
That's very kind Joe, and (I realize now) I should have PM'd you on this but you know how excited I get about these things. Get ready for some primo Urquel!

Gary

Joshua
02-17-2010, 15:07
Had some Bell's HopSlam the other night with dinner... I really enjoy that beer. I had no idea it was 10% abv, but that's a-ok with me. As with previous posts, it takes someone that really likes hops to appreciate.

I'm going to try making a double IPA here soon, maybe start it next week or the week after.

nor02lei
02-18-2010, 01:33
I'm working my way through a case of Founders Breakfast Stout.

Outstanding!

When visiting 2 quality bars in Gothenburg this weekend I did have this beer
Mike. I must say I was a bit disappointed. Far to mild and gentle for my personal taste. I did have a porter from ölfabrikken in Denmark the day before and it was much better to my personal taste, at about the same strength. I did along other beers also have a very good dipa called draget from the Swedish microbrewery nynäshamns. We are still quit a bit after USA when it comes to IPA types of beers here in Scandinavia but we are closing in.

Leif

nor02lei
02-18-2010, 02:03
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout which I try to age for 3+ years before drinking. .

I love this beer with soft chocolate cakes, bourbon balls and similar stuff. I’m not that delighted to drink it neat, as it can taste a little sweetish and stuffy that way. What happens to the taste after you have stored it for + 3 years? By the way. The Swedish government store makes their yearly release of this brand Mars 1.

Leif

Luna56
02-18-2010, 21:28
Had a Sam Adams Noble Pils with dinner tonight. Not as big and bold as a Czech pils, but pretty damn good. It's a seasonal, so get ahold of some while you can.

Cheers!

bvscfanatic
02-20-2010, 20:59
Mostly stuff that pours like used motor oil, but also a few darker ales and lagers. I like porters and stouts that are very malty and toasty. Almost anything but a pale ale. My bitterness tolerace is below 30 IBU.

Here are a few current favorites:

Ballantine American Ale
Michelob Porter
Wild Goose Oatmeal Stout
Heineken Dark
St. Pauli Girl Dark
Edmund Fitzerald (porter)
Conway's Irish Ale
Modelo Negra
Killian's Irish Red
Stegmaier Porter

Makes me wonder how I find time to drink so much bourbon. But somehow I manage to because life demands that sort of discipline and dedication. You know?

Joshua
02-21-2010, 01:16
Backwoods Bastard tonight before bed. I was asleep, then woken up and can't get back to sleep... figure a beer and a movie may solve that. Most of the time with higher abv beers, I take little sips... but for some reason this tastes really good to me in big mouthfulls. I've been on an IPA kick over the past couple months... this is certainly a change of pace.

jesskidden
02-21-2010, 06:45
Here are a few current favorites:

Ballantine American Ale

What's this? A new/rebadged Pabst product, a personal "nickname" for Ballantine XXX Ale or just a typo for the Budweiser American Ale?

Pabst has hinted at "reviving" the Ballantine ales (as they have for a few other of their many brands, like McSorley's, Primo, Schlitz "Gusto", Old Style, etc) which they've dropped and/or all but destroyed (in the case of Ballantine XXX Ale) but I haven't seen anything save for dropping the decades old "America's Largest Selling Ale" slogan (which hasn't been accurate in many years) with "Dry Hopped Flavor" on the case and six pack packaging.

bvscfanatic
02-21-2010, 14:58
What's this? A new/rebadged Pabst product, a personal "nickname" for Ballantine XXX Ale or just a typo for the Budweiser American Ale?

LMAO ... it WAS a typo. I DID mean Budweiser American Ale. And I was very pleasantly surprised by it. Both this and the Michelob Porter are Anheuser-Busch products and both are surprisingly good.

smokinjoe
02-21-2010, 15:06
LMAO ... it WAS a typo. I DID mean Budweiser American Ale. And I was very pleasantly surprised by it. Both this and the Michelob Porter are Anheuser-Busch products and both are surprisingly good.

I'm with you on the Bud American Ale. I'm a big fan of it.

smokinjoe
02-21-2010, 15:42
A Bell's Special Double Cream Stout is working perfectly with the Red Curry w/shrimp take-out that we ordered tonight. Cooling it down nicely.

smokinjoe
03-14-2010, 11:43
A Great Lakes Brewing Edmund Fitzgerald Porter. My next-to-the-last one that I have. Seems fitting on a day like we're havin' Down South here today. It's chilly, windy, dark, and damp here. Kinda makes me think of....

"The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy."

This great beer is helping me feel better, but I am really, really, REALLY, sick of this crappy weather. This is Georgia, for Pete's Sake! Not Gitche Gumee!

craigthom
03-14-2010, 11:53
Sierra Nevada Glissade (http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/glissade.html) at NABC on Friday. I'm mostly an ale drinker, but they had this "golden bock" on tap, and I like the brewery, so I went for it. It's nice and fit well with the warm weather we had last week. It's got more depth than lagers often do, and the hops were definitely there but not overpowering.

Gravity Head is still going on, but I decided to go with something under 5% so I could have a couple and still get home.

smokinjoe
03-16-2010, 16:34
After reading Craig's description, I picked up a six-pack of the Sierra Nevada Glissade today. A very nice beer. Exactly as Craig described.

Before he passed away several years ago, my dad and I used to sample many beers and whiskies at his house. I'd bring something new over to his house, usually on my way back into town from a business trip. We'd sit, drink and critique. We'd raise our glasses, and salute each other with his favorite salute, "Here's spit in your eye". I have no idea what the heck that means, by the way. I came to know his preferences in beer, as I bombed in several that I brought him that I thought he would like. He was not a heavy dark beer fan. Though, he did like a good Guiness on St. Paddy's day. Of course, he pronounced it GWinness. I never corrected him, but rather just smiled, as it was just one of those things that made him so endearing to me. Nor, did he like very hoppy beers. A substantial lager/pils, but with a crispness, was more his style. I know he adored one of the Mooseheads. Maybe, "Ice"...I don't remember. :(
I now find myself tasting beer, and asking two questions: "Do I like it?" and, "Would Pops have liked it?" I somehow get more enjoyment, though in a melancholy sort of way, when I find a beer I think Pops would like. I do know, that he really would have liked this Glissade. Just his style. I like it, too.

Gillman
03-16-2010, 17:38
That was a nice story, Joe. I wish I could have lifted a few with my Dad in that way, but we never did. We lived in different parts of the country for most of my adult life, at a time when people did not travel as much as now. Now he is gone and I regret that I was not more proactive to see him when I had the chance. We did share a beer one time though that I remember, it was a wheat beer, about 15 years ago, and he said he liked it. I remember the brand, Blanche de Chambly from Montreal. Thanks for sharing your memories.

Gary

ErichPryde
03-16-2010, 18:31
A Bell's Special Double Cream Stout is working perfectly with the Red Curry w/shrimp take-out that we ordered tonight. Cooling it down nicely.

You like red curry? That's awesome. it's one of my favorites and I frequently make it from scratch at home. The only thing you really need is a an asian market with a good selection. I'll have to find one of those here, and then I'll start makin' curry paste again!

HipFlask
03-21-2010, 08:39
Pryraat a Belgian IPA is just out standing with steammed clams in cream butter sauce. Next up was a stella Artois. I will definaitely be having this combo again!

OscarV
03-21-2010, 08:48
Had a couple of draft Stella Artois' with lunch yesterday at a new place in town. The Hard Knock Grill.
On the way home I picked up a six of Arcadia London Porter.
I was in luck, they had some on the shelf not in the cooler.
Bitter when cold, just right at room temperature.

T Comp
03-21-2010, 10:35
After reading Craig's description, I picked up a six-pack of the Sierra Nevada Glissade today. A very nice beer. Exactly as Craig described.

Must be some SB telepathy out there as I too bought this yesterday and hadn't even read these posts. Really good on its own and with chicken mole enchiladas.

cas
03-22-2010, 16:00
Here on the first full day of spring (or was it yesterday), after several unusually nice weeks, we seem to have regressed - it is cold and windy and wet. So a heavy, dark beer was called for - I chose a Rogue chocolate stout. Extremely satisfying.
Craig

dean_martin
03-22-2010, 22:44
I'm still working on a 6pk of Sierra Nevada Big Foot. I put two away for aging. In hopes of warm, sunny weather I picked up a 6pk of Lagunitas Maximus. This is a very easy drinking IPA with a nice touch of sweetness. I sampled a single bottle a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. Can't wait to session 2 or 3 bottles.

ggilbertva
03-23-2010, 13:54
I've had a bad cold/flu for the last 4 days or so and today I'm actually feeling a little better, so I broke out a Tetley's English Ale. It's a nice start that I hope ends with some bourbon tonight.

bigtoys
03-23-2010, 21:13
Full Moon by the makers of Blue Moon

jsanford
03-24-2010, 17:53
Full Moon by the makers of Blue Moon

...you mean Coors

smokinjoe
03-24-2010, 19:16
Sierra Nevada "Sierra" 30th Anniversary Stout. A nice beer. Silky. Very dark. Flavorful, but not something I would consider spectacular. I do like that it is not overly sweet. What is spectacular is the head on this beer. I have never seen a thicker and more dense foam on any beer. It's actually kinda cool to look at. It reminds me of that "Great Stuff" foam insulation in the can. I'm half-tempted to drop things into the glass to see how much weight the head will support. :crazy:

Odiedog52
03-25-2010, 13:49
Can't wait to try the SN 30th Stout (aka Fritz and Ken's Ale). What's even more attractive about is it that it's only $9.99 .. Well, as long as people aren't price gouging anyways.

OscarV
03-25-2010, 13:59
While at one of my accounts today they recieved some Kentucky Breakfast Stout by Founders of Grand Rapids Michigan.
Sam, the owner of the store took the 3 cases he recieved and immediatly put them out of sight behind the counter.
"What's up with that I asked?", he said that these were in great demand and he was saving them for special customers.
This stout was aged in used bourbon barrels for a year.
It retails for $22.00 plus sales tax and deposit for a 12oz 4-pack.
Anyone out there ever try it?

Special Reserve
03-25-2010, 15:04
While at one of my accounts today they recieved some Kentucky Breakfast Stout by Founders of Grand Rapids Michigan.
Sam, the owner of the store took the 3 cases he recieved and immediatly put them out of sight behind the counter.
"What's up with that I asked?", he said that these were in great demand and he was saving them for special customers.

I got my call for a 4 pack last week. Had one over the weekend as the proprietor said you won't slam this down while watching a game. Huge Imperial Stout beer meant for sipping. Coffee and chocolate with a long finish. Some bourbons notes on entry that don't last long.

If I find another 4 pack, I'd pick it up for next winter.

Odiedog52
03-25-2010, 15:41

Ya it's great and very popular... With some places gouging as much as $9 per 12oz bottle. It's pricey, but I'd recommend trying it. It's one of the most popular annual releases of a barrel aged beer. If stores don't hide it or limit it to a 1-2 bottle or 1-2 4 pack limit, someone will walk in and buy it all, and most stores only got like 3-4 cases unless they're a really good account.

OscarV
03-25-2010, 15:55
If I find another 4 pack, I'd pick it up for next winter.

If stores don't hide it or limit it to a 1-2 bottle or 1-2 4 pack limit, someone will walk in and buy it all, and most stores only got like 3-4 cases unless they're a really good account.

OK Gentlemen, here's where there are 3 cases of the Kentucky Breakfast Stout.

Prospect Party Store
617 North Prospect Rd
Ypsilanti, MI 48198

Tell Sam that Oscar the Corn Cognac Connoisseur told you about it!:cool:
He'll know.

Josh
03-25-2010, 16:00
OK Gentlemen, here's where there are 3 cases of the Kentucky Breakfast Stout.

Prospect Party Store
617 North Prospect Rd
Ypsilanti, MI 48198

Tell Sam that Oscar the Corn Cognac Connoisseur told you about it!:cool:
He'll know.

Thanks my man!:cool:

Special Reserve
03-25-2010, 17:14
Corn Cognac I like that. I am familiar with Ypsilanti.

Thanks for the tip.

Halifax
03-25-2010, 17:54
Yesterday I drank a handfull of Big Boss' Bad Penny while playing golf. Beer was damn tasty! My round on the other hand...:rolleyes:

Gillman
03-25-2010, 18:43
We get a draft beer from the famed Fuller's brewery in England called ESB. It is dispensed on a hand pump but is not real ale, it is regular (filtered) draft beer but less carbonated than normal. I really like it, it has a big English hop flavor, a not-too-sweet barley/caramel taste and hits the spot. Similar to any good American Pale Ale (there are many fine ones) but the English hops in particular seem to put their own stamp on it.

Gary

jsanford
03-25-2010, 20:04

I was lucky enough to snag 8 bottles, but even luckier that my local craft Beer bar got it on tap! I've enjoyed it for the last 5 days, sadly they ran out last night. Can't wait until next year! Also, if anyone sees the Founders Nemesis 2009, pick it up. Its a wheatwine that was aged in barrels that had contained bourbon and maple syrup. Good stuff =D

Odiedog52
03-26-2010, 19:55
For those really interested in this KBS, be sure to check out Goose Islands
Bourbon County Stout. It's pretty widely distributed as it's uses Annheuser-Bush's distro chain .. And the bourbon is a bit hotter than the KBS. They also have a Bourbon County Stout Rare coming out this year that was aged in 23 yo PVW barrels ... It'll be pricey though, but should be awesome.

craigthom
03-30-2010, 16:49
The New Albanian Brewing Company has done a strange thing: they've produced two beers with a single malt (same for each) and a single hop (different). I guess the idea is to allow us to get a clear picture of the contribution of the specific hop. Or maybe they were running low on ingredients.

They were served unchilled, but I had no problem with that. The Amarillo hops beer clearly had more of that grapefruit taste one associates with beers heavy on the Pacific Northwest hops.

I should have had the Centennial-hopped beer first, because it just tasted like "less" after the Amarillo.

So, unfortunately, does this SNPA I'm having now. Time to go home.

ratcheer
04-02-2010, 18:15
This is weird - I have been to two different restaurants in the past few days that were having specials on beer for $1.50. That is less than they charge for a soft drink or a glass of iced tea. At one of them, it was on domestics and I just had a Bud. But, at the other one they were running a special on tacos and any Mexican beer they had, so I had a Dos Equis Dark. Dern good beer for $1.50! Tim

dean_martin
04-05-2010, 15:01
Sometimes only a can will do - like when you're at Talladega Speedway or on the beach or at some other outdoor event where glass bottles aren't allowed.

My latest two-beer progression for outdoors is Dale's Pale Ale (cans) then Lagunitas Maximus. Warm weather and yard work made me go looking for beer in a can. Not sure why. I've resisted cans for years.

Gillman
04-05-2010, 17:54
Fuller's London Porter and then Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout, shared with a friend. Both excellent and quite different in style, the former was rich-tasting, malty, with a licorice-like finish; the other was dryish, slightly fruity, with an incisive hop note, almost like a dry raspberry milkshake if that makes any sense. Old world and new, both very valid.

Gary

doubleblank
04-06-2010, 05:56
I've recently been drinking Deschutes North West Pale Ale, aka Red Chair NWPA. It is excellent. Rich and hoppy without the edges or bitterness that can come with a full out IPA. Apparently this is its first year of production and available Jan thru April.

Randy

Virus_Of_Life
04-06-2010, 07:38
I've recently been drinking Deschutes North West Pale Ale, aka Red Chair NWPA. It is excellent. Rich and hoppy without the edges or bitterness that can come with a full out IPA. Apparently this is its first year of production and available Jan thru April.

Randy

They ran that first back in the fall only in 22oz bottles, I believe as their Bond Street series, and apparently had enough success to go further with it. Personally, I didn't like it, but for the reasons you mentioned; I typically want more notable hop characteristics in an IPA type beer which as you say brings along some bitterness. I found it to be much like Mirror Pond.

I've discovered some local stuff Surly and Summit which are very good. Also 21st amendment which I was told is a San Francisco brewery that opened up a shop in Minneapolis. Their Brew Free or die IPA is very good.

Also, one from Oregon that apparently came out after I left is Widmer Deadlift IPA and it is extraordinary!

craigthom
04-06-2010, 15:41
I've discovered some local stuff Surly and Summit which are very good. Also 21st amendment which I was told is a San Francisco brewery that opened up a shop in Minneapolis. Their Brew Free or die IPA is very good.

If Summit is local you may want to update your "Minnesota soon" location to "Minnesota now".

Summit was an early midwestern microbrewery, and the beer was nice, but I wasn't overly impressed. I'm sure they've introduced some newer stuff since I was last in the Cities.

I believe my favorite Wisconsin brewery, Tyranena, is selling in the Cities now. Look for their Bitter Woman IPA. They also do a quarterly "Brewers Gone Wild" release. In the past their "Bitter Woman from Hell" and "Hop Whore" IPAs have been impressive (the latter, which hoppier and higher in alcohol, was the best balanced of the bunch, according to me).

This evening I had a Stone Arrogant Bastard on tap, which was pretty good. Even better was the New Belgium Ranger IPA. I didn't expect much from the New Belgium, since their flagship beer is the popular but meh Fat Tire, but I was pleasantly surprised.