PDA

View Full Version : Scotch Drinker learning about bourbon

Chu'Wuti
01-03-2010, 08:03
Hi everyone! My son introduced me to this site--knowing I could hardly resist the temptation! I'm primarily a single malt Scotch person, especially loving the smoky whiskeys, but my son keeps bringing me interesting bourbons to taste, so I guess both my palate and my collection are expanding. I figure that y'all can help me learn enough to keep up with my son!

Chu'Wuti (Snake Woman in Hopi)

"Always carry a large flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake." W. C. Fields

I have the snake--two of them, actually--and the whiskey, so I'm all set! :lol:

OscarV
01-03-2010, 08:17
There's a lot of knoweldge here so welcome aboard.
I've been checking in here for a few years now and I'm still learning.
Bourbon, Scotch, Irish, Rye, wine and beer are discussed.
I would suggest you look over these two threads in the "Bourbon Discussion" section,
the "Straight Bourbon Of The Month" and "Premium Bourbons/Specialty Bottlings" are loaded with info.
Feel free to ask questions.

silverfish
01-03-2010, 08:21
Hi Snake Woman - welcome to the forum!

We do have a Foreign Whiskey (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22) section if you like to have a
look and see if any of your favorites have been discussed.

deaconbones
01-03-2010, 09:03
I am finding the best way to learn more about bourbon is to drink more bourbon.

OscarV
01-03-2010, 09:43
I am finding the best way to learn more about bourbon is to drink more bourbon.

Yep, good point. Like they say, "live and learn."

fishnbowljoe
01-03-2010, 10:25
Welcome to SB Sandy. Some of the other members have given you some good threads to check out. Another one I would recommend is, http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8142 Affordable bourbons and ryes for beginners. Hope this helps gets you started in a good way. Cheers! Joe

spun_cookie
01-03-2010, 10:28
Welcome and enjoy. You will find that many scotch drinkers convert to bourbon, but not the other way :D

ErichPryde
01-03-2010, 12:51
Knowing her as well as I know her, and having tried as hard as I've tried and with as many bourbons as I've tried with, I don't know if you'll make a convert of this one. :)

Perhaps, though, I will manage to make her appreciate and crave good bourbon as much as she does good scotch... she seemed to enjoy the 09 stagg a lot last night!

Welcome to the forum, mom!

Chu'Wuti
01-03-2010, 13:04
Hmmmm . . . re converting, I don't know that you'll be able to get me converted to the point that I won't enjoy my Laphroaig 30 yo! I really enjoy a smoky Ardbeg, too, just to name a couple.

However, I will confess that a couple of the bourbons Erik has shared with us have been pretty nice! I'm also feeling pretty lucky--Erik brought me several other bottles to enjoy along with a "new" bottle of that wonderful 30 yo!

Thanks for the welcome, one and all--I'm sure I'll enjoy reading and learning more here! More fun, too!

birdman1099
01-03-2010, 13:17
Actually, I started with bourbon and have slowly moved towards Scotch. My favs are Ardbeg Uigeadail, Talisker Distillers Edition, aberlour a'bunadh, MaCallan Cask, Glenlivet Nadurra. (notice I like the high proofers...:grin: ) I cant develop the apreciation of a Laphroaig just yet. Too much "Band-Aid" for me right now.

Now don't get me wrong, I'll pull a bourbon from mt cabinet many time more than a Scotch, but I have a place for Scotch in my cabinet. (albeit, a very small one):slappin:

Welcome, and Cheers !!!!

Chu'Wuti
01-03-2010, 13:22
Oh, yes to the Talisker, and a definite yes to the Nadurra--got that one for my DH's last birthday! Mmmmm . . . now you've started me thinking about what to end today with . . .

Sin
01-03-2010, 15:33
Welcome and enjoy. You will find that many scotch drinkers convert to bourbon, but not the other way :D
Yep. I'm a former scotch drinker. Or, at least that's how I see myself. I still have a bottle of scotch, but I think it's my last. Bourbon is so much better, and I have a feeling it's a trend that's going to grow.

Chu'Wuti
01-03-2010, 23:24
Bourbon is nice, but . . .

Guess I don't want to start an argument on whether bourbon or Scotch is better! I definitely enjoy my Scotch, though. I think I'll take turns with them for awhile. No matter which, I'm sure I'll enjoy it! :grin:

I'm so glad my son told me about this forum--I can already see you have a real friendly group of people here! We have experienced the same thing at several Scotch tastings, too. Ah, the joy of sharing!

Sandy

p_elliott
01-04-2010, 07:42
Welcome to the site Sandy we might get you converted yet. So your a herp fan? I used to raise herps what do you have? I had a pretty nice collection about 12 years ago. The nicest thing I had was a lavender phased albino retic from Bob Clark in Oklahoma City OK. I also had some luck at doing some breeding and incubating myself.

I hope you like the site, post often, have some fun here, and even if we don't get you converted there are lots of dreaded scotch drinkers:hot: on here to exchange info with.

Paul

MarkEdwards
01-05-2010, 03:17
Guess I don't want to start an argument on whether bourbon or Scotch is better! I definitely enjoy my Scotch, though.

Welcome to the board from another 'mixed drinker'. I like my scotch, bourbon and Irish, as well as the occasional cognac or apple jack.

I'd say you have the ideal situation going - holding tight to your scotch drinking so that your son will continue to give you free bourbon. :grin:

Chu'Wuti
01-05-2010, 11:46
Herp fan indeed! Right now, I have only a Python regius (Royal or Ball Python) and a Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis, buckskin morph (Honduran Milk Snake with tan/black/orange-red bands, and two of the tan bands have black diamonds in them). I've been studying up on Phelsumas--day geckos--and hope to get some in about six months (that project had to be put on hold for a bit, but not forever!!).

I've met Bob Clark at one or two of the OKC Herp meetings--we have a pretty active group of herpers here. Of course, Oklahoma is a great state for herping--we have plenty of native critters to grow up on and get us inspired! ErichPryde's younger brother even got into keeping hots (venomous snakes) for awhile. However, I prefer the nonvenomous and smaller snakes--nothing so big as a retic! I want to be able to handle my snakes alone--even if they do bite! Which the python never does, so it's a good thing I have the spare snake to justify all the whisky, right? ;) Mmmmm . . .

(And it's a good thing Erik gave me more bourbon to try--I'm definitely going to have to get that snake out!

Time to go meet all three of my sons for some good Thai food! Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome--I look forward to learning more about bourbon from you!

Sandy

ErichPryde
01-05-2010, 13:35
there is actually a lot more to the hot herp story than was mentioned here, and, in fact, her quote about snakebite is much more appropriate than was mentioned. Of course, those are tales that are best shared with a great bottle of bourbon (or perhaps, scotch? depends upon the group).

Josh
01-06-2010, 11:40
How cool is it that Erik's mom has joined the site?! Welcome Sandy!

I'm not a herp collector, unless the alligator jerky in my fridge counts. :lol:

Welcome to the site, and welcome to the lifelong journey that is bourbon!

whskylvr
01-06-2010, 12:19
Welcome Sandy!!:cool:

I once had a couple of king snakes that lived in the garage in their aquariums which was kept above the washing machine and dryer.

One day mom washed and dried our close and when she was folding the laundry my two snakes feel out into her lap.

Very clean and shiny. Couldn't get anymore, wonder why???

Stu
01-06-2010, 13:31
Welcome Sandy. I, too, an a drinker of the "dark side spirit". However I have learned to love bourbon as well. I was at Jura during Feis Ile and someone asked me if I attended the Kentucky Bourbon Festival (KBF). I replied no, I don't care for bourbon. He said "You travel half way around the world to go to a whisky festival and you don't go to one in your own backyard?" Three years ago I went for the first time. I haven't missed a festival or sampler since. Drinking with some of these folks is like sitting in Jim McKewan's office sampling his private stock or closing a bar in Scotland with the late Michael Jackson (the writer, not the musician). You and Erik should attend one of these events. Your knowledge will expand immensely. The first year my wife hung out with "the scotch widows", now she drinks and enjoys bourbon and thoroughly enjoys any high rye bourbon.

P.S. There are usually several malts on the gazebo table as well as the bourbon.

TNbourbon
01-06-2010, 15:13
Welcome Sandy. I, too, an a drinker of the "dark side spirit". However I have learned to love bourbon as well...
P.S. There are usually several malts on the gazebo table as well as the bourbon.
We have welcomed Stu and Bernadette despite Stu's prior whisk(e)y prediliction!:lol:
And, he's absolutely right -- though most of us have an unabashed bourbon preference, almost all of us, too, have a single malt or 12 we sample when we have an occasion to. Funny, but my appreciate of Scotch matured directly from my first-look infatuation with bourbon. Bourbon happened to be the fetish that prompted me to seek and learn the nuance, history, and processes which resulted in what I enjoyed so easily. In turn, once learned, that knowledge gave me a better foundation on which to go back and appreciate the similarities and differences I can find between it and other styles of whiskey. Finally, I've come to realize that good whiskey is good whiskey. I find that bourbon more universally meets my personal definitions of it, but I more often today recognize it in pours that don't come from a bourbon bottle than I once did.

Gillman
01-06-2010, 16:33
I cannot see the logic (no offense to anyone intended, and I'm speaking just in general here) of saying, "I am only a scotch drinker" or "I am only a bourbon drinker".

All the whiskeys of the world are connected, they are country cousins and offer variations on a theme. Whiskey originated in Scotland and Ireland and people from those places brought it to America, with influences from Continental Europe to be sure (probably the rye element). It altered in its adopted lands but is still very much whiskey due to sharing an origin in cereal grains and being aged in wood.

To say I won't drink bourbon (itself a broad subject) but I will drink scotch (itself an even larger subject) is like saying I like Hershey chocolate but will never try Cadbury's or M&M's or some South American estate chocolate.

An open mind, as clearly is apparent from anyone who posts on a bourbon board from a scotch perspective, will open the door to many interesting tastes and some new knowledge.

Gary

birdman1099
01-06-2010, 18:04
Well said, Gary.

I am a whisky drinker with a preference towards bourbon. But really, I like most whisk(e)ys.

Dutchie66
01-07-2010, 00:24
I always despised scotch until last year a friend of mine gave me a sample of an islay single malt. And to my surprise i liked it.
Due to some whiskyfestivals and a few xxl tastings a have tasted about 40-50 scotch samples. Never thought this would happen but i think a have been set on the wrong foot 2 decades ago with some cheap crap on which i based my opinion on.
Bourbon has still my preference but nowadays a also have 2-3 scotch in the house.

p_elliott
01-07-2010, 08:11
Bernadette and Hans tired their best to get me on Scotch at the KBF but I could not find one I liked. I'm not opposed to drinking Scotch I just haven't liked the ones I have tried. I like bourbon whiskey both rye and wheat , rye whiskey, wheat whiskey, haven't tried Irish whiskey, Canadian whiskey, or malt whiskey yet.

Stu
01-10-2010, 16:13
Bernadette and Hans tired their best to get me on Scotch at the KBF but I could not find one I liked. I'm not opposed to drinking Scotch I just haven't liked the ones I have tried. I like bourbon whiskey both rye and wheat , rye whiskey, wheat whiskey, haven't tried Irish whiskey, Canadian whiskey, or malt whiskey yet.

Paul,
If Bernadette and Hans were your guides, I can almost bet you tasted malt whisky. The problem is I don't think there were any good "starter" malts for bourbon drinkers there last year. I gave Bourbon Joe and Fricky some Old Pultney 12 the year before last and they actually enjoyed it. It's like when I learned to like bourbon, the first ones I fell in love with were EC 18 (because of the earthiness) and Basil Hayden and Four Roses (because of the high rye). To start a scotch drinker on PVW or Bookers and you'd probably get comments about the gravel in the liquid. Now I think they are great bourbons, but ...I had great teachers.

Chu'Wuti
02-02-2010, 08:57
Guys, sorry to take so long to respond. Thanks so much for the welcome! I think I'll have to agree with Gary about the interconnection among all the whisk(e)ys of the world. Besides, it gives me another good reason for exploring the subworld of bourbons! (As if I needed one!)

I'm still playing catch-up, so on to another thread!

Sandy

ebo
04-11-2010, 07:03
I cannot see the logic (no offense to anyone intended, and I'm speaking just in general here) of saying, "I am only a scotch drinker" or "I am only a bourbon drinker".

All the whiskeys of the world are connected, they are country cousins and offer variations on a theme. Whiskey originated in Scotland and Ireland and people from those places brought it to America, with influences from Continental Europe to be sure (probably the rye element). It altered in its adopted lands but is still very much whiskey due to sharing an origin in cereal grains and being aged in wood.

To say I won't drink bourbon (itself a broad subject) but I will drink scotch (itself an even larger subject) is like saying I like Hershey chocolate but will never try Cadbury's or M&M's or some South American estate chocolate.

An open mind, as clearly is apparent from anyone who posts on a bourbon board from a scotch perspective, will open the door to many interesting tastes and some new knowledge.

Gary

Excellent post. I feel the same way. I was primarily a scotch drinker for a long time. I have since found that I enjoy all whiskies very much. It's nice to have the choice between scotch, bourbon and Irish... it makes it easier to satisfy the taste you're looking for on a particular day/evening.

I'm really looking forward to trying some of the Japaneese whiskies and that new Indian whiskey... Amrut.

I know this is an older thread, but I was bored, and started perusing through here and found this. I figured I might as well add my .02. :grin:

Res/st-or
04-12-2010, 17:21
Welcome Sandy.... The only scotch I have around the house is Macallan 12yr and 18yr. I really like them both. The reason I got them was because the drummer Neil Peart of my favorite band Rush drinks the 18yr old exclusively. So I have to do what he does without question... lol

smokinjoe
04-12-2010, 17:40
Welcome Sandy.... The only scotch I have around the house is Macallan 12yr and 18yr. I really like them both. The reason I got them was because the drummer Neil Peart of my favorite band Rush drinks the 18yr old exclusively. So I have to do what he does without question... lol

:lol:
As good a reason as any! Besides, you want to be prepared, because ya' never know when he might stop by!
:toast:

Res/st-or
04-12-2010, 17:51
:lol:
As good a reason as any! Besides, you want to be prepared, because ya' never know when he might stop by!
:toast:

Damn right... maybe he will stop by after the July 1st show. I'd be tempted to indulge him some PVW . Show him how us regular joe's slum it.