PDA

View Full Version : Your Most Prized Collection - 1 bottle only

BunkerBooze
01-03-2010, 08:41
Hello All:

This is for all you collectors and bourbon/rye fanatics. Do you have ONE unopened bottle of whiskey remaining in your collection that you will never open up? If so, what is it?

Mine would be...Willett 22yrs Rye

barturtle
01-03-2010, 09:03
Hello All:

This is for all you collectors and bourbon/rye fanatics. Do you have ONE unopened bottle of whiskey remaining in your collection that you will never open up? If so, what is it?

I've got a bottle of Maker's that I doubt I'll ever open...all the rest of it tastes too damn good to never open and share.

spun_cookie
01-03-2010, 09:15
:D That is what I was thinking Timothy. The bottles of MM I dipped would be the only keepers. Everything else will be opened at some point.

birdman1099
01-03-2010, 09:16
Hello All:

Really?????:bigeyes:

What a shame. That bottle is considered one of the best ryes ever bottled and you decided you did not want to drink it.......:skep:

There is no way I could have a bottle of something that is believed to be one of the best tasting things in the planet that I decide NOT to try.

But thats just me !!!:grin:

OscarV
01-03-2010, 09:33
Do you have ONE unopened bottle of whiskey remaining in your collection that you will never open up?

I hope not.
~
`
-

theDon
01-03-2010, 09:38
You said whiskey and not bourbon so I do have a 2 bottle JD Repeal Set that I will never open. I also plan on saving one of my OF Repeal sets also.

Old Lamplighter
01-03-2010, 09:57
Has to be my half-full WLW 06. The more I (very slowly) consume, the more I prize it and wish there was another in the stash.....the search continues.

fishnbowljoe
01-03-2010, 10:18
Timothy's response made me think about my answer. I would have to say the MM Ambassador bottle I got a couple years ago at the KBF. A beautiful liter bottle, personalized label, and only MM inside. :skep: Joe

callmeox
01-03-2010, 10:26
Every bottle in my collection is in play. My Willett 22 yo rye is a special occasion bottle, but will be cracked open when my son gets married or some other such elevated event.

GOCOUGS2002
01-03-2010, 10:58
I have many unopened bottles, but none that are off limits...just need more time to get to them all:grin:.

Like most of the replies above I have a few that will stay sealed until a special event arrives. In fact six months ago today I popped the blue wax Hirsch in celebration of my daughters birth.

TNbourbon
01-03-2010, 12:57
Hello All:

Nope. These already all have been opened, or passed on to others for that purpose:
http://picasaweb.google.com/tsousley62/Whiskeys#

How do you know that Willett 22yo rye is worth keeping forever UNTIL you've opened and tasted it? Mine were well worth drinking;)!

spun_cookie
01-03-2010, 13:26
Nope. These already all have been opened, or passed on to others for that purpose:

How do you know that Willett 22yo rye is worth keeping forever UNTIL you've opened and tasted it? Mine were well worth drinking;)!

Nice picture Tim. I had never seen a Weller SR BIB beore. Very cool... And I bet it was great.

WsmataU
01-03-2010, 14:08
Well, Tim has a point. I will NEVER open my '92 Blue Wax Maker's. In fact, I can see a "Risky Business" scenario (the crystal egg) where a child throws a party and it get's drunk by accident. I'd rather see the 928 in lake MI....lol!

But, for my "collectibles"...I'm saving one of the Blanton's Super Gold for the day I retire.

pepcycle
01-03-2010, 14:35
The bottle of MM recovered from Ground Zero.
Still has WTC dust on it.

MrAtomic
01-03-2010, 15:01
Although I buy bottles to enjoy their contents, I'll probably save one gold foil Hirsch 16. My last name is Hirsch (not related in any way to Mr. A. H.), and if I have a kid it'll be neat to show him/her a bottle of whiskey with their family name on the label. If he/she is unimpressed, I can always open it, right?

IronHead
01-03-2010, 15:16
I have a bottle of MM that I dipped and a presentation box of Woodford Reserve that was given to me for participating in a food and bourbon pairing pannel at L&G. Short of those two I don't have anything else that I plan on keeping sealed.

camduncan
01-03-2010, 19:54
I have three bottles that will never be opened:

The Makers Mark bottle I dipped myself at the distillery.
A bottle of Evan Williams personally labeled to my wife and I.
A bottle of Fred Noe Select signed by Fred Noe wishing me a 'Happy 40th Birthday'

Anything else in my bar is fair game for the right occasion.

Chu'Wuti
01-03-2010, 23:32
If it's good whiskey/whisky, I'll drink it. If it's bad, I won't buy it. If I get given one that's bad, that one might never get opened. But I won't plan never to open one. However:

THIS one makes complete sense. I agree it should NOT be opened. A moment of silence . . .

Sandy

BunkerBooze
01-04-2010, 04:25

hello tnbourbon

i guess u have a point. now, i am considering opening it but with people that can appreciate it.

ggilbertva
01-04-2010, 05:27
For me, every bottle I have will be opened by me or passed on to someone who will do the same. While I have bottles in "presentation" that I enjoy looking at, I intend on drinking them at some point. I certainly understand the many MM postings as those hand dipped are novelty items for the most part and the whiskey inside is nothing special.

It would be a shame to never open that 22 year old rye. Saving a bottle for some special event or milestone is understandable but never opening a bottle because it's special? Craziness!

My special bottles; '65 Old Fitz BIB, '79 Haller's County Fair BIB, Hirsch Blue Wax, etc. will be enjoyed by me and some folks here on this site who can appreciate what they are drinking.

wadewood
01-04-2010, 06:03
In my will, I have a clause that says all my bottles are to be opened at my wake. But the bad news for you, is intend to drink them before then anyways.

SMOWK
01-04-2010, 06:47
I'm with most of the folks here who say that ALL WILL BE OPEN. It's just a matter of when.

On to prized possessions. Right now, it would have to be this guy:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=188540&postcount=228

The Van Winkle decanter is on the way though.....

p_elliott
01-04-2010, 07:53

That one I can buy not opening.

StraightBoston
01-04-2010, 09:50

Tim-- Awesome photos (I remember one of those "Old" Weller SR BIBs from when I joined here a couple years back! The one that got away...)

I'll weigh in with the others. There are some being saved for special-er occasions, but I plan on drinking all I've got.

A different, but similar, question might be the one Mark Gillespie poses to distillers and writers on the WhiskyCast podcast: what whisk(e)y from your collection would you like to be your last pour before you pass?

Today for me, it would be the export Van Winkle Family Reserve KSBW 15yo/90.4pf (but only because my last Black Maple Hill 21yo is one of those being saved for a special-er occasion and I'm not sure which I'd prefer...)

Cmurfs73
01-04-2010, 09:58
for me i have a personalized bottle of Bookers signed by booker himeself a few years before he died. Its been in my closet for years and i doubt i will ever open it. i also have a second in which he signed the carton...That said i cherish these babies as to anyone who new booker new he was a hell of a guy!

MikeK
01-04-2010, 10:28
I'm a "It was made to enjoy" kind of guy. It's all fair game, it may just take me a while to get to it all.

You have to stop and realize, for 95% of you, the kids are just going to throw it out or drink it with Coke anyway, so you need to drink it before you depart!

An example, a few years back I scored a pristine Old Taylor glass decanter, BIB, 1948-1953. It was so beautiful I hesitated to open it, but there was never a doubt to the decision. I decanted it into another bottle so I could display and enjoy the decanter and also enjoy the whiskey!

It was excellent, and I've still got a 375ml bottle left. Any visitor who is experienced enough to appreciate it is welcome to a pour.

ggilbertva
01-04-2010, 11:16
I'm a "It was made to enjoy" kind of guy. It's all fair game, it may just take me a while to get to it all.

You have to stop and realize, for 95% of you, the kids are just going to throw it out or drink it with Coke anyway, so you need to drink it before you depart!

An example, a few years back I scored a pristine Old Taylor glass decanter, BIB, 1948-1953. It was so beautiful I hesitated to open it, but there was never a doubt to the decision. I decanted it into another bottle so I could display and enjoy the decanter and also enjoy the whiskey!

It was excellent, and I've still got a 375ml bottle left. Any visitor who is experienced enough to appreciate it is welcome to a pour.

Mike,

Beautiful picture, thanks for sharing. The fact that that Old Taylor was Castle makes it that much more enjoyable.

OscarV
01-04-2010, 15:18
An example, a few years back I scored a pristine Old Taylor glass decanter, BIB, 1948-1953.

I'd say that is the best looking decantner I've ever seen, and with some old Old Taylor in it, great score.

Joshua
01-04-2010, 16:06
Hmm this is hard... I'm going to have to say my first bottle of SW Pappy 15 I found. I spent FOREVER trying to get a hold of Pappy 15, it's damn near nonexistant in Minnesota. It was kind of the holy grail for me of current stuff. I've since stocked up, but the SW bottle is kind of the bottle I was most interested in and chasing after.

The only reason I'm not opening it now is because of the journey to get something in current production. (well, close enough but you get what I mean).

I've got 5 other's I can open, that one I'll hold onto until I'm very very old and it's one of those crazy wild dusty bottles no one has seen/had/etc.

Ruby K
01-04-2010, 21:08
Tim, amazing pictures. Wow. Those brought a tear to my eye. And MikeK, that old taylor decanter looks so great, and i'm sure the juice in there is even better.

Right now, all but five bottles I own are open: one AHH16 Gold Wax, one Pappy 20, one Four Roses 120th, one Weller 12 from Binny's and a semi dusty 375 of OWA from 92. Of those, the only one I would consider not opening is the AHH, but only because the Blue Wax blew the gold foil out of the water so badly I'm almost afraid of even trying the foil again and being disappointed. there's part of me that wonders about selling it to raise money to buy a vvof. I don't need a huge bunker. i just want to try everything. :cool:

nor02lei
01-04-2010, 22:58
I think it is a tie between Stagg 2002 and WT 17 to be my most voluble bottle. Anyway I intend to drink them both sooner or later.

Leif

spy247
01-06-2010, 19:41
Got a bottle of WTRB signed by Jimmy Russell and a personally hand dipped bottle of MM that will never get opened.

BourbonJoe
01-07-2010, 07:06
A bottle of "Old Prentice" from 1918.
Joe :usflag:

sailor22
01-07-2010, 07:28
I don't need a huge bunker. i just want to try everything.

and that is exactly how I started to get a huge bunker. :rolleyes: Good luck.

hectic1
01-07-2010, 07:37
and that is exactly how I started to get a huge bunker. :rolleyes: Good luck.
LOL...that is exactly what happened to me...I read about this bottle and that bottle and before I knew it I had enough bourbon to last me 5 years in my bunker! Oh well...it's only money and you can't take it with you! :D

Stones
01-07-2010, 17:51
Mine would have to be a bottle of red wax top bottle of VWFR Bourbon Distilled in Feb 1970. Might open it on a prime milestone though - 40th/50th/60th/70th/80th/90th/100th/110th or 200th birthday... :grin:

Virus_Of_Life
01-09-2010, 10:46

That has to be the most impressive thing I have heard of yet! And I too would prize that above all others. How did you come into that Ed?

As for me, nothing is off limits, all in good time everything will get opened. I would say one that will be hard to pop is my VW Family Reserve Rye that is the 1985 Unchillfiltered 100 proof version.

My dear friends know if I was to die before my time they can drink as long as they toast me, my future wife who now enjoys bourbon would probably like to keep a lot around. And a couple bottles are to be sent to the curators of this site as a thank you.

gblick
01-09-2010, 12:26
My most prized bottle is a 70's Old Fitz BiB, simply because it's my oldest bottle and I only have one of them. I will definitely open it to drink, someday.

loose proton
01-09-2010, 15:24
Today, my most prized bottle is one I don't own. I have a particular affinity for Virginia Gentleman for many reasons. Yesterday, a very good friend of mine hinted he'd like to give me an old sealed bottle. He used to be bodyguard to old man Bowman, drove the Rolls, ate filet mignon at a separate table with back to wall. Mr. Bowman gave him this bottle. Even though I'd love to own this bit of history, I suggested to my friend that he should keep it.

spun_cookie
01-09-2010, 22:14
Today, my most prized bottle is one I don't own. I have a particular affinity for Virginia Gentleman for many reasons. Yesterday, a very good friend of mine hinted he'd like to give me an old sealed bottle. He used to be bodyguard to old man Bowman, drove the Rolls, ate filet mignon at a separate table with back to wall. Mr. Bowman gave him this bottle. Even though I'd love to own this bit of history, I suggested to my friend that he should keep it.

I have a handle of the original if you really want it... PM me....not bad juice, but if it means more to you than me... I will trade...

nor02lei
01-10-2010, 03:15
As for me, nothing is off limits, all in good time everything will get opened. I would say one that will be hard to pop is my VW Family Reserve Rye that is the 1985 Unchillfiltered 100 proof version.

I got one of those left in my bunker for a special occasion as well Christian. Donít forget to spin the bottle before you poor out of it when you start to drink from it. I made that mistake with my first bottle of this many years ago.

Leif

tommyboy38
01-10-2010, 04:35
A bottle of VOF from my birthyear...1967.

ethangsmith
01-20-2010, 08:46
A glass 750ml bottle of Michter's Sour Mash Pot Still Whiskey from Schaefferstown. It sits on its Michter's display stand in my living room never to be opened.

BigRich
01-20-2010, 13:37
I open and consume ALL bottles that come through my door.

luv2hunt
01-20-2010, 20:15
2002 Stagg :grin:

dgonano
01-21-2010, 18:35
Hold on to the Stagg, Dawn....another 10Years..?

Congrats to my former beloved Colts for once again toying with my Ravens.

My most prized...hmmm...a 6 1/2yr post prohibition Old Overholt Rye at barrel strength...and some old Maryland Rye...

arrScott
01-22-2010, 12:44
I have a bottle of Maker's Mark, double dipped in red and navy, autographed by Frank "Hondo" Howard of the old Washington Senators. Hondo signed the bottle at a Maker's Mark event in Washington soon after the Nationals came to town.

Unfortunately, Hondo inscribed it, "For the Nats Next Pennant". Which means I may never get to open it!

Gillman
01-22-2010, 13:12
Highland Park 18 years old. (Just kidding).

I would say probably A.H. Hirsch bourbon 20 years old. I don't have any left though, so not sure if I qualify to answer.

Gary

docbible
01-22-2010, 17:37
I purchased two bottles of 1996 JD bicentenial bottles when I graduated in 1996. I drank one at grad and plan to open the other when I retire. Just temporarily untouchable. I will probably keep one A>H> Hirsch 20. tim