PDA

View Full Version : Are you a...

BunkerBooze
01-03-2010, 09:03
Hey guys and girls!

Since there are so many knowledgeable people on this forum in regards to bourbons and ryes in the fields of tasting, collecting, information, etc., I was wondering what is the ratio of bourbon/rye collectors vs. drinkers.

If you can, please choose only ONE description below (A, B, C, etc.)

I am a:
(A) - 100% Pure Collector (I don't drink)
(B) - Collector but drink occasionally or seldom
(C) - Drinker but have collected a few bottles over the years
(D) - Drinker but would love to start collecting in the near future
(E) - Drinker only (hate collecting or don't see the need)

barturtle
01-03-2010, 09:05
C-- I collect so that I have good things to drink. Nothing in my collection is off limits, just some are waiting for a more special occasion to be opened.

birdman1099
01-03-2010, 09:12
I'm with Timothy..... C.

I have quite a few unopened bottles, but they will eventually be consumed by ME !!! (and maybe some friends):grin: Actually, in my eyes, they are not a collection.... just bottles in waiting !!!

spun_cookie
01-03-2010, 09:13
C ... same comment as Timothy

deaconbones
01-03-2010, 09:20
C - Currently I have small variety so I can have some choices when I am in the mood for a drink. At this point I am in discovery mode, trying to find what I like. Once I do I'll probably only by those bottles. I don't want to get into collecting for the sake of collecting. I'd rather have a consise selection of my favorite bottles for drinking.

I do like hearing of people setting aside bottles to drink way down the road. I need to get a good bottle now to give to my kids when the time is right. Maybe when they graduate, get married or have their first kid.

OscarV
01-03-2010, 09:28
C here, I'm with Tim, Scott and Em on this one.
The so called "collected" bottles are going to get drunk, it's just that if I waited to buy them when I was ready to comsume them then they would no longer be available.
So collecting is not the right word, more like hoarding for when the day comes.

OK then, it looks like C doesn't apply after all.
I'm a drinker and a hoarder and that catagory isn't there for choosing.

Old Lamplighter
01-03-2010, 10:16
C-- I collect so that I have good things to drink. Nothing in my collection is off limits, just some are waiting for a more special occasion to be opened.
My vote & sentments exactly....could not have said it better -- "C" for me.

fishnbowljoe
01-03-2010, 10:28
Gotta keep it unanimous. The big "C" for me too. Joe

TomH
01-03-2010, 10:28
Like Oscar I definitely don't feel like I fit comfortably in any of the categories. If absolutely forced into the closest I guess I would have to pick - "C".

I have come to the somewhat discomforting conclusion that I have collected/hoarded/whatever bottles that I will never drink. Not because I am holding them for investment or that they are too prized, but rather that at my present rate of consumption and my continual refusal not to purchase new releases (contrary to promises made to my significant other prior to my retirement) I have more bottles than I can consume before I die (even with the occasional help from fellow SB'ers). So I guess I have to say to a certain extent I am a collector, but I definitely don't fit into the "B" category of seldom or occasional drinking (I can't fit there, my doctor agrees that it helps lower my cholesterol).

Tom

Special Reserve
01-03-2010, 10:46
C, although I tend to hold bottles for some time before opening them in addition to having hard to find or longer available bottles in the bunker.

GOCOUGS2002
01-03-2010, 11:00
Isnt' the answer to all multiple choice questions always C?

spun_cookie
01-03-2010, 11:26
Isnt' the answer to all multiple choice questions always C?

That is a good point:

hectic1
01-03-2010, 11:30
I think when I joined this forum I was a B...over the last year I've become a C...normally in school I was always a C student trying to get to be a B Student. This appears to be an instance where being a C is better then a B!

TNbourbon
01-03-2010, 12:48
I'm between a C and an E, but nowhere near a D (I don't wish to begin collecting). I've certainly put back some bottles for later opening from time to time -- and, as time has passed, opened them! Thus I collected them without becoming a collector.
I don't see the value of expensive whiskey locked inside a bottle, at least as an investment. Unless someone is going to open it someday, it's just 'stuff' inside glass. And, if someone IS going to open it someday (me, for example:grin:), then its final monetary value is going to be zero.

MarkEdwards
01-03-2010, 12:59
'C' here as well. What I have, I will drink, but I've bunkered a few and have not yet opened a few others.

BBQ+Bourbon
01-03-2010, 14:51
Another C here. I buy whatever good bottles I can find and afford. Some are sealed at any time, but they are all in danger all the time.

ratcheer
01-03-2010, 15:54

I do not collect anything for the sake of collecting. Everything I buy is intended to be opened and consumed, eventually. However, sometimes I lay a few bottles back so that I will have them to drink at a later date.

Tim

tommyboy38
01-03-2010, 17:23
What about all of the above? Not exactly all of the above as I'm not a pure collector.
I love to drink my whiskey and sometimes I'm just a drinker.
And there may be times where I won't touch it for a week or more...am I then a collector that drinks occasionally? Or a drinker with a collection waiting to be drank?
I have a bottle of Very Old Fitz and I hope I can find the right occassion to open it but until I do, it is a "collectable" that has quite a bit of value.

And I just reviewed the choices again....I guess I'm a "C" like most of the peeps who posted.

kickert
01-03-2010, 17:34
I am a C-

I don't really consider myself a collector, but I have a few bottles I just haven't opened yet.

T Comp
01-03-2010, 17:40
I'm a C man, with what has been collected simply a result of whiskirexia nervosa. What better way to fool myself that I'm going to live forever. Anything not opened is because 30 others are.

wildcat13
01-03-2010, 18:15
C - a better drinker in appreciating the difference in bourbons, but learning to explore the range of options for collecting.

Chu'Wuti
01-03-2010, 23:38
How can I disagree with such a well-explained consensus from such a well-informed, savvy group of people?

C!

nor02lei
01-04-2010, 04:18
As most others I am a C.

Leif

docbible
01-04-2010, 06:11
I am a C as well. Knowing that releases are short in duration, I try to grab what I can knowing it may be summer before I sample and finish a bottle. I still break the seal on one when I get home and put it im the open cabinet, an incentive to sample and not place them all in the bunker. If they make it to the bunker I tend to loose them in the recess of my memory. tim

p_elliott
01-04-2010, 08:12
Hey guys and girls!

Since there are so many knowledgeable people on this forum in regards to bourbons and ryes in the fields of tasting, collecting, information, etc., I was wondering what is the ratio of bourbon/rye collectors vs. drinkers.

I am a:

I'm lost some where between D and E I buy something I say I 'll put away and sure enough it's open.

ggilbertva
01-04-2010, 08:23
I would consider myself a C+. The plus because I have more than a "few" collected bottles. I collect/drink, share with other enthusiasts, trade, etc. As I mentioned in another post, there isn't a single bottle in my bunker than won't be opened and enjoyed at some point.

Josh
01-04-2010, 08:28
I would consider myself a C+. The plus because I have more than a "few" collected bottles. I collect/drink, share with other enthusiasts, trade, etc. As I mentioned in another post, there isn't a single bottle in my bunker than won't be opened and enjoyed at some point.

I would probably put myself at C just for lack of storage space. Tho, I would be closer to Greg's C+ if my house wasn't the size of a shoebox.

funknik
01-04-2010, 08:46
Definitely a C, although my tendency to buy so much that I have an accidental collection -- all designed for later consumption -- some later than others.

funknik
01-04-2010, 11:07
Actually, come to think of it, I have a bottle of Jacob's Well that I may never open, since it's rare and, from what I understand, not very good.

ggilbertva
01-04-2010, 11:14
Actually, come to think of it, I have a bottle of Jacob's Well that I may never open, since it's rare and, from what I understand, not very good.

Andy - a bottle like that is good for cooking without the guilt.

emr454
01-04-2010, 12:01
I have to same I'm an "E", only because there isn't anything to be found in my area worth collecting, and I just can't buy something and NOT taste it!

One day I will start bunkering bottles for the future, but it is my intention to drink whatever I buy. I'm still at that point where I'm figuring out what I do and do not like. When I get a better idea of what I like, It will be bunkered, but until then, here's to experimentation!

Eric

NYtaster
01-04-2010, 13:04
I am and always will be an E it think. Its not that I don't see some value in collecting a few select bottles, I just can't help myself, I have to taste it.

pepcycle
01-04-2010, 13:19
I'm a B with a penchant towards E. OK, I'm schizo.
I have one of kind bottles that I open at the drop of a hat, whilst hoarding ones I have a few of that are of no particular collector value to anyone else.
Why do I even consider an Old Pogue worth displaying? I mean, its not uniquely distilled or of particularly good quality, not likely to increase in value and doesn't have a cult following. I guess its just cause those guys came by the gazebo and were nice.
No logic. Just emotion.

Sometimes I put 93 Octane fuel in my weedwhacker and regular in my sportbike.
I dunno. I just do.

As we speak, I'm staring at a Pappy 23 single barrel, unfiltered. Should I save it or make a bourbon and orange soda with it?

loose proton
01-04-2010, 15:12
C. I collect bottles to drink.

jburlowski
01-04-2010, 15:50
Another C.

With a few little C's for "padding'".

independant
01-04-2010, 15:52
I would say I am a C. I collect to drink later. Everything I buy I buy to drink just in the future.

TNbourbon
01-04-2010, 21:57
I'm a B with a penchant towards E. OK, I'm schizo...As we speak, I'm staring at a Pappy 23 single barrel, unfiltered. Should I save it or make a bourbon and orange soda with it?
And it's because you're a whack job that we love you so, man!
And you know EXACTLY what I'd do, Ed -- both! Why wonder? It's YOUR bottle!

ErichPryde
01-04-2010, 22:04
C.

My biggest problem is deciding which bottle to open and drink next. Then, after I try it, I have to open something else!

There are quite a few open bottles in my cabinet. Not enough to rival some people on here. ;)

Ruby K
01-04-2010, 22:10
i'd say i'm c/e. i'm collecting bottles, alright. collecting bottles of tasty goodness to savor and share.

sailor22
01-05-2010, 07:59
Another C here. I'm a collector only because I cant' find enough special occasions.

The acquire rate far exceeds the use rate.

p_elliott
01-06-2010, 08:27
Another C here. I'm a collector only because I cant' find enough special occasions.

The acquire rate far exceeds the use rate.

I can always find a special occasion like today it's Wednesday did you know that Wednesday ends with Y there a reason to celebrate. :grin: Come to think of it tomorrow is Thursday it ends with Y damn I'll have to celebrate again. :grin:

spy247
01-07-2010, 17:37
I'm a C/E

Hell you can't take it with you.

Thesh
01-08-2010, 03:45
I'm an E. I don't like buying anything I can't use.

Stones
04-21-2010, 21:13
A fully fledged C!
I do have some rarities which will one day be shared with other bourbon affectionados one day... :grin:

unclebunk
04-22-2010, 06:20

Perfectly said and not much to add. I'm definitely a C with more emphasis on drinking than collecting these days due to the size of my already substantial bunker and limited funds to spend on additional whiskey.

CorvallisCracker
04-22-2010, 09:44
A "D" only in that if I became one of the Idle Rich, with plenty of time and space on hand, I'd start tracking down odd bottles with purely collector value (in many cases the contents wouldn't be all that great anyway).

For example, HH once had a private label bottling called "Chilie Gone Crazy". That would be a great one to have on display.

I'd kill for a bottle of this:

craigthom
04-22-2010, 14:26
Somewhere between B and C. I haven't collected all that much, but I don't drink much, so, like TomH, I already own more whiskey than I am likely to drink.

I have very few duplicates and very few bottles that aren't open, so I'm not really a collector.

The main thing I've collected is knowledge about the product and its history. I've got a big thirst for that.

Halifax
04-22-2010, 18:05
(F) Drunkard/Stockpiler :skep: :lol: :bigeyes:

jsbac
04-26-2010, 18:54
C.75 -- I don't buy anything I won't drink or give away.

Hey guys and girls!

I am a:

sailor22
04-30-2010, 09:06
looks like this;

OscarV
04-30-2010, 09:26
looks like this;

What's the story behind that picture Steve?

sailor22
04-30-2010, 09:32
Boredom and Photoshop are contributing factors.

Original is from an assignment 10 years ago.

OscarV
04-30-2010, 09:34
Boredom and Photoshop are contributing factors.

Original is from an assignment 10 years ago.

:lol: :lol:
Iv'e wasted time in worse ways than that.

DeanSheen
04-30-2010, 09:55
C-

My bunker is nearing 100 and is mostly ltd edition or out of production bottles. I tend to only have 6 bottles or so open at a time and I drink them down then replace them on the counter.

I've been trending toward keeping mid shelfers open as the premiums tend to disappear too fast. That being said the Lot B and Handy have been open for at least a month and there is still juice in them.

Enabler
04-30-2010, 11:00
C. Would like to save more bottles, but they are sooooo tempting.