PDA

View Full Version : Help a newb out...

nblair
01-13-2010, 19:47
Ok, so I made the mistake of reading through the forum frequently before actually diving into the bourbon world head first. While this has enabled me to pick up some outstanding bourbon right off the bat (PVW 15, PVW 20, GTS, Lot B, and 3 bottles of ORVW 15), it's also led me to being straight broke. I'm a newlywed and I need to find some good inexpensive pours before my wife kills me. I know there are plenty of 'daily pour' threads on the forum, but it seems like prices have gone up and some aren't really 'daily pours' anymore. I know all these bourbons can be had for under $25 in my area:

1. Elmer T. Lee
2. Wild Turkey 101
3. Old Weller Antique
4. Buffalo Trace
5. Old Grand Dad BIB
6. Elijah Craig 12
7. Kentucky Vintage (<----I'm interested to see where this KBD offering stands up to the rest, I saw it for $22 recently)
8. Four Roses Yellow Label
9. Evan Williams Single Barrel

From your experience, how would you put them in order from top to bottom? If you have any other personal favorites feel free to add them to your list of course.

:thankyousign: in advance!

bourbon-n00b
01-13-2010, 19:56
I haven't had a few of these, but ranking the ones I have tried:

1. Wild Turkey 101
2. Elijah Craig 12
3. Old Weller Antique
4. Old Grand Dad BIB
5. Evan Williams Single Barrel

I am much more partial to the OGD114 over the BiB and it should be ~25.

fishnbowljoe
01-13-2010, 20:30
Here are some more that are available in your area that you can add to your list.

Weller Special Reserve
J. T. S. Brown BIB (Bottled in Bond)
Very Old Barton BIB
J. W. Dant BIB
Old Heaven Hill BIB

All decent pours that can be purchased for under $20.

As for your list, I have only had #s 1-4. Doesn't matter how I would rate them. They are all quality pours, and pretty much equal IMHO, depending on your tastes. But..... if I had to pick one, it would be Old Weller Antique. :grin: Joe

Josh
01-13-2010, 21:16
1. Elijah Craig 12
2. Old Forester Signature*
3. Evan Williams SB
4. Very Old Barton BiB (or 90)*
5. Kentucky Vintage
6. OGD BiB
7. 4R Yellow Label
8. Old Charter 10*
9. Old Weller Antique
10. Elmer T. Lee

*added

This is just off the top of my head. Don't quote me. The list could have gotten really long but I cut it off at ten.

Anyway, welcome! And where the heck did you get 3 bottles of ORVW 15?!:bowdown:

Lost Pollito
01-13-2010, 21:23
In Ky...home to the best Blue B-ball team in the land, you should be able to score some Ancient Ancient age 10yr old. Affordable and delicious. VOB is also great. Can you tell I like U.K. ?:grin: ...and miss the bourbon back home.

BigRich
01-14-2010, 06:00
My order would be:

1. Elmer T. Lee
2. Buffalo Trace
3. Elijah Craig 12
4. Evan Williams Single Barrel
5. Old Weller Antique
6. Four Roses Yellow Label
7. Wild Turkey 101
8. Old Grand Dad BIB
9. Kentucky Vintage (<----I'm interested to see where this KBD offering stands up to the rest, I saw it for $22 recently) (haven't tried it)

Josh
01-14-2010, 06:24
In Ky...home to the best Blue B-ball team in the land, you should be able to score some Ancient Ancient age 10yr old. Affordable and delicious...

Putting aside the silliness of the first part of the statement...Man, how did I forget AAA 10? I would put ETL and that at the same level but AAA 10 is cheaper, so I guess that puts it ahead.

kickert
01-14-2010, 06:27
I notice a few things from reading your post. First, everything you listed is made by Buffalo Trace and all but one is a wheated bourbon. You are also trending towards the older bourbons and often high proof. I am not sure if your list (PVW 15, PVW 20, GTS, Lot B, and 3 bottles of ORVW 15) is the best of what you have had, or simply what you have had (that makes a big difference when recommending where to go from here).

If you are wanting to stay with the same profile I would go with this:

1. OWA - high proof wheater from BT
2. ETL - Also from BT and has alot of the rich flavors like those above
3. Weller 12* - very similar to Lot B and about half the price
4. AAA10* / OC10* - Two older bourbons from BT, the AAA has the higher rye mashbill while the OC has the lower
5. BT - Like the OC10 this is made with the same mashbill as the GTS.

If you want to switch it up:

1. EWSB - This is perhaps my favorite HH product.
2. EC12 - Another cult favorite from HH
3. Bulleit* - A very reasonably priced bourbon with a strong rye kick

Those are my suggestions, take them for what they are worth. Just so you know, I am a huge BT fan. I have never really gotten into WT products and stuff from Beam and Brown Foreman has never impressed me. That being said, there are plenty of people who love those product lines and will have their own recommendations.

funknik
01-14-2010, 07:16
Yeah, man . . . you have a good list going there . . . I agree with just about everything on it (although EC12, once my favorite, has been notoriously spotty). Four Roses Yellow Label is excellent despite its low proof & Buffalo Trace is especially one of my favorites -- if you can find a single barrel selection at one of the many KY stores (Liquor Barn, etc.), it'll probably be worth it to try that, too.

I also agree with Ben's addition of Weller 12 -- it's really great and if you can find it for around $25, it's well worth the price. Also, although I love the Wild Turkey 101, the Wild Turkey Rye 101 (in an identical bottle except green on the label) is, in my opinion, a superior whiskey for the same price, and very bourbon-like. Also, the Ancient Ancient Age 10yr is a great pour at a great age and very affordable.

nblair
01-14-2010, 07:31
Anyway, welcome! And where the heck did you get 3 bottles of ORVW 15?!:bowdown:

I went on a road trip from KY to Wisconsin after Christmas and stumbled upon a liquor store that had 3 bottles on the shelf. I couldn't believe it. I kept stopping at random spots looking for tax stamped bottles, and other discontinued bottlings and this was what I came up with. The 'dusty hunt' is definitely addicting.

I notice a few things from reading your post. First, everything you listed is made by Buffalo Trace and all but one is a wheated bourbon. You are also trending towards the older bourbons and often high proof. I am not sure if your list (PVW 15, PVW 20, GTS, Lot B, and 3 bottles of ORVW 15) is the best of what you have had, or simply what you have had (that makes a big difference when recommending where to go from here).

It's the best of what I own. I have had many different bourbons. I also have Bulleit, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Four Roses Single Barrel, and others. Not too crazy about the Bulleit, but really enjoy the Rare Breed and 4RSB. I haven't had any HH products yet.

Essentially the reason I started this thread was because I see all of these different bourbons everytime I go to the liquor store and never know which one to pick up. I was thinking if maybe I could get people to rank them some would consistently show up towards the top of everyone's list and I could start with those. If anything, I think the thread so far has shown me it really is all about each individual's taste.

nblair
01-14-2010, 07:32
I also agree with Ben's addition of Weller 12 -- it's really great and if you can find it for around $25, it's well worth the price.

I have found a store in Louisville that sells it for $29.99, but thought that it might be stretch at that price. Still worth it?

funknik
01-14-2010, 07:45
I have found a store in Louisville that sells it for $29.99, but thought that it might be stretch at that price. Still worth it?
yeah, especially if you like Lot 'B' a lot . . . but it can be found for cheaper.

funknik
01-14-2010, 07:57
Essentially the reason I started this thread was because I see all of these different bourbons everytime I go to the liquor store and never know which one to pick up. I was thinking if maybe I could get people to rank them some would consistently show up towards the top of everyone's list and I could start with those.

Ok, I'll play by the rules :grin:

1. Buffalo Trace (knocks the socks off more expensive bottles)
2. Old Weller Antique (the best value wheater out there)
3. Wild Turkey 101 (not as good as their other offerings, but solid)
4. Evan Williams Single Barrel (best of HH, perhaps? pricey here @ $30)
5. Four Roses Yellow Label (great for under $20)
6. Elmer T. Lee (not my favorite, but solid)
7. Old Grand Dad BIB (I greatly prefer the 114)
8. Elijah Craig 12 (used to be my #1, now unreliable)
9. Kentucky Vintage (never had it)

nblair
01-14-2010, 08:06
yeah, especially if you like Lot 'B' a lot . . . but it can be found for cheaper.

I'll pick up a bottle then. I felt like I had read that some people didn't like the Weller 12 as much as OWA so I figured for $10 less OWA would be a better buy. Weller 12 might be my next purchase then. How does it compare to ORVW 10/107 for the same price?

I think this website might be the end of me, I want to buy 1,000's of bourbons and try them all!

kickert
01-14-2010, 08:21
I'll pick up a bottle then. I felt like I had read that some people didn't like the Weller 12 as much as OWA so I figured for $10 less OWA would be a better buy. Weller 12 might be my next purchase then. How does it compare to ORVW 10/107 for the same price?

I think this website might be the end of me, I want to buy 1,000's of bourbons and try them all!

There is a lot of love for OWA because there is a lot of love for high proof bourbons here. It is basically Weller SR at 107 proof. If you find you like the higher proof more than I would go with OWA. If it is the complexity of an older bourbon, I would go with the weller 12.

funknik
01-14-2010, 08:30
There is a lot of love for OWA because there is a lot of love for high proof bourbons here. It is basically Weller SR at 107 proof. If you find you like the higher proof more than I would go with OWA. If it is the complexity of an older bourbon, I would go with the weller 12.
Yeah, what Ben said. Personally, I don't care for the ORVW 10/107 . . . it's good, but uninteresting, and at $40 I expect more . . . also, I've heard tell that a lot of the ORVW juice is from Bernheim rather than BT which is why it tastes so incredibly different from the Wellers, Lot 'B' & PVWs, but don't quote me on that.

CorvallisCracker
01-14-2010, 09:45
Tastes being subjective, your question has gotten a lot of different responses.

However, if it's true that you can get EWSB for under $25, then see if you can find some of the 2000 vintage. This is the first one since the 1995 that was made entirely within HH facilities, and IMNSHO is the best one since the 1995.

I started keeping an eye out for it after reading John Hansell's review (http://blog.maltadvocate.com/2009/11/18/review-evan-williams-single-barrel-2000-vintage/). Some showed up in mid December. I bought one, brought it home, tried it, went back the next day and bought two more (Oregon price is $27.45).

Hansell's bottle came from BBL #1, mine from BBL #16.

I noticed an odd thing on the back label, however:

Barreled 10-7-09
Barrel 16
Bottled on 3-30-00

Which is probably an error, but it's fun to believe a young lady named Bright (http://poetry.poetryx.com/poems/6088/) was involved.

nblair
01-14-2010, 13:38
However, if it's true that you can get EWSB for under $25, then see if you can find some of the 2000 vintage. This is the first one since the 1995 that was made entirely within HH facilities, and IMNSHO is the best one since the 1995.

I am pretty sure the EWSB was at or around $25, it could of been a dollar or two higher. I will keep my eyes peeled for the 2000 vintage.

I am thinking I should go to Bourbons Bistro and just throw down about $75 to try a bunch of different inexpensive pours instead of picking up .750 bottles of everything. I tried to find some pints but those were nearly as much as the .750s.

kickert
01-14-2010, 16:42
I am pretty sure the EWSB was at or around $25, it could of been a dollar or two higher. I will keep my eyes peeled for the 2000 vintage.

I am thinking I should go to Bourbons Bistro and just throw down about $75 to try a bunch of different inexpensive pours instead of picking up .750 bottles of everything. I tried to find some pints but those were nearly as much as the .750s.

Any time you are down around Bowling Green, you are welcome to anything in my cabinet. But I have to admit, it is no where near as stocked as it was before my daughter was born.

independant
01-14-2010, 18:20
I noticed an odd thing on the back label, however:

Barreled 10-7-09
Barrel 16
Bottled on 3-30-00

Which is probably an error, but it's fun to believe a young lady named Bright (http://poetry.poetryx.com/poems/6088/) was involved.

I have this same bottle. In fact I picked up 3 more after trying this one.
Its funny how this barrel 16 was distributed across the whole US.

IronHead
01-14-2010, 18:28
Please, dear god tell me that you didn't find the ORVW 15 in Louisville. I would have to be seriously depressed. :)

Welcome to the board from Louisville, KY!

nblair
01-14-2010, 19:00
Any time you are down around Bowling Green, you are welcome to anything in my cabinet. But I have to admit, it is no where near as stocked as it was before my daughter was born.

Thanks man, and likewise if you are ever in Louisville.

Please, dear god tell me that you didn't find the ORVW 15 in Louisville. I would have to be seriously depressed. :)

Welcome to the board from Louisville, KY!

Definitely not here! I'm thankful most of my relatives live out of town, because it seems like you can find some things easier when you go outside of Kentucky. They get picked over quicker here.

Thanks for welcoming me as well. Here's hoping you're a Cards fan. :D

kickert
01-14-2010, 19:52
I have this same bottle. In fact I picked up 3 more after trying this one.
Its funny how this barrel 16 was distributed across the whole US.

If you do the math here is what you get (and I am being conservative):

50 gallon barrel with 50&#37; Angel share that leaves 25 gallons. If you get nominal proof increase (as most do in KY) you would have that 25 gallons at 135 proof (although one blog I read said the 2000 barrels were closer to 140). Dilute that to 86.6 proof by adding about 14 gallons. You end up with 39 gallons of whiskey. Multiply that by 5 and you end up with 195 bottles.

So with about 200 bottles (probably many more) coming out of a barrel, it is not too much of a stretch to imagine it made it into multiple states. Now if this barrel 16 keeps turning up across the country then I would be more sucpicious.