PDA

View Full Version : New member from Des Moines, Iowa

Inthewater
01-14-2010, 08:35
I stumbled upon this site while looking for information on burbon. I have been enjoying burbon, scotch and anything else I can get my hands on for many years, but have never gotten into this sort of stuff until recently.

Anyway, I am a fan of quite a few burbons and scotches, but hate to list any. One thing I have noticed about these sort of sites is that people get very fired up about things, and spend a lot of time putting brands and such down for small issues, rather than just enjoying the spirit.

In any case, I would love to try some of these bottles that I have been reading about here. Some of the stuff sounds fantastic! I have to do a lot more research, but I am definitely glad to have found the site and forums. Some great information here.

Two favorite spirits:

Laphroaig (usually the 10 year or the small cask)

Maker's Mark (one that I now feel isn't "that great" after some of the bashing I have read here.... :( )

Anyway, glad to make your aquaintance.

IowaJeff
01-14-2010, 08:58
Greetings! I'm another newbie from DSM. Not the easiest place to find a great selection but it can be done. I have been kicking around the idea of starting a whiskey club/group in DSM for awhile. I think it would be a great way to try some different things without buying 30 bottles (not that there is anything wrong with that). Let me know if that's something you'd be interested in starting or if you just want to meet for a drink sometime.

Inthewater
01-14-2010, 08:58
Ahh heck, anyone have a recommendation for me to try? Some of you from the area may be able to tell me what I can find. Not looking for anything TOO spendy at this time. Around $30-$50 would be a good place to start.

Also, I have a great local bar that I patronize that I can get good prices (retail, in a bar) to try some off the wall stuff, if they have it. I usually do Maker's for $5, and it is a nice, flriendly pour.

:)

Inthewater
01-14-2010, 09:00
Greetings! I'm another newbie from DSM. Not the easiest place to find a great selection but it can be done. I have been kicking around the idea of starting a whiskey club/group in DSM for awhile. I think it would be a great way to try some different things without buying 30 bottles (not that there is anything wrong with that). Let me know if that's something you'd be interested in starting or if you just want to meet for a drink sometime.

If a club did get started, I would be interested. I'd imagine many would.

Let me know if anything happens with your idea.

p_elliott
01-14-2010, 10:41
Welcome to the site, I'm down here in the SW corner of of Iowa. I'm not a scotch fan can't find one I like yet but I'll keep trying. I don't think people put many brands down on here most of the time they try and find something good about just about anything. As for my self I only have about maybe 3 or 4 bourbons I won't drink. As for Makers Mark I think you you may have gotten the wrong impression there as well. There are a lot of MM fans on here, some think they just could do better they used to have a 101 proof version that people would like to see come back. Most people agree that wheater bourbon is best with more age and more proof. So they are not really bad mouthing MM they just think MM could do better with an older and higher proof version as well. Something along the line of Old Weller Antique 7/107 which I recommend you try if you can find it. And yes it's cheaper than MM. But a lot of people on here will tell you they got started drinking bourbon by drinking MM.

Don't be shy to tell us what you like no one is going to make fun of you for what your drinking unless your mixing it with grape kool-aid:slappin:. It makes it easier to make recomendations if we know what direction your heading in. Have you tried any Rye whiskey yet? There are several very good ones of those. Any way enjoy the site, have fun, ask questions, post your opinions, make some new friends. Chat is Thursday and SUnday nights but is always open you never know when someone might be in there, it says on the opening page who is.

Inthewater
01-14-2010, 11:36
Yeah, I guess I must have just run across a lot of MM threads where it was mostly negative. I know this is an "enthusiast" site, so that is to be expected. That was all I meant.

I will see if I can find a bottle (or a drink) of your recommendation around town. Thanks for the info.

Gonna have to write a sticky-note with brands I want to try out. Too many of them look similar or have 8 different bottlings for me to remember what I want to look for.

:cool:

Inthewater
01-14-2010, 11:40
As far as Rye whiskey goes, I have had Templeton (another I have seen get just blasted on here in a few different threads) and the Rittenburg-bock-berg...something like that.

I like just about everything, when it comes to taste, in foods and spirits.

What I am really looking for is something I can get at a reasonable price while out on the town (MM is usually a decent price, and we seem to have it in about every bar in town). For instance, I was at a local brew pub last night, and they wanted $9.50 for Woodford's Reserve, neat.

That is just silly. I bet I could do better in a big town, than that.

So, what is a good one to look for in a bar? I see Wild Turkey a lot, but I doubt it is the "good" one. Honestly never tried much WT. Is it any good?

funknik
01-14-2010, 11:59
So, what is a good one to look for in a bar? I see Wild Turkey a lot, but I doubt it is the "good" one. Honestly never tried much WT. Is it any good?
What is ironic (and quite comical, though you couldn't have known) is that you just asked perhaps the biggest Wild Turkey fan on the site if his drink of choice was any good.
:slappin:
But, yes, I think Wild Turkey 101 (red label, not gold 80 proof) is very good for the price at most bars and is almost always what I drink when out . . . there are some who would describe MM as a smoother or more refined pour, but not myself. I agree that the Woodford does seem overpriced, but that's around what it goes for in most places I have seen it.

Inthewater
01-14-2010, 12:02
Ahh, well i have a knack for that sort of thing. :)

I wonder why he recommended Old Weller Antique rather than WT of some sort?

I'll have to check which WT they have up in the corner at my local watering hole. I'll try it regardless, but now I am curious.

Inthewater
01-14-2010, 12:08
As far as Scotch goes, here is a site that can really help...its sort of like this site, but more devoted to Scotch Whisky. Lots of great info and tasting reviews, etc.

http://www.maltmadness.com/beginners.html

I believe they have a forum community, as well.

I started drinking MM because I found out that Laphroaig uses MM barrels to age their scotch. Now, I think I like MM better. I am becoming a burbon guy. It just appeals to me more, i think, and doesn't have the same air of "snobbish-ness" that some scotch has, though all of this fancy burbon of late seems to be bringing the same sort of thing, as well as similar prices. Boo.

funknik
01-14-2010, 12:13
Most likely because you said you enjoy Maker's which is a wheated bourbon and Weller Antique is also a wheated bourbon . . . he's making a recommendation based on what he knows of your taste.

Definitely try any Turkey . . . I like the 80 proof ok for out at a bar in a pinch, but it's worth the extra $2 for a bottle of the 101 over the 80. The 80 proof is definitely the ugly duckling, though.

Inthewater
01-14-2010, 12:21
Ahh, well to be honest, I don't usually just like one sort of thing. I get what you are saying about the wheated burbon though.

I am still not up to date on all this jargon.

What is WT, if not wheated? Or I guess, what are the basic "types" of burbon? I know I have had a few different types, but I am not really sure what they are.

funknik
01-14-2010, 12:37
Ahh, well to be honest, I don't usually just like one sort of thing. I get what you are saying about the wheated burbon though.

I am still not up to date on all this jargon.

What is WT, if not wheated? Or I guess, what are the basic "types" of burbon? I know I have had a few different types, but I am not really sure what they are.
Bourbons use at least 51% in the mashbill by law and then a little barley and what is called a "flavor grain", which is typically rye or, less commonly, wheat. When Maker's started in the 50's, the only other distiller using wheat in their bourbon recipe was Stitzel-Weller Distillery run by the Van Winkle Family. Pretty much any bourbon using wheat today started out as a Stitzel-Weller product (Rebel Yell, Old Fitzgerald, the Weller line and formerly Cabin Still (which now utilizes rye)), most other bourbons use rye in the mash.

You can find a lot more about this on the site, so I'll just provide you with that.

Inthewater
01-14-2010, 12:41
Awesome, thanks for the info. Much to learn.

I was thinking, and I will get huge amounts of grief for trying these "expensive" liquors at our local tavern from my lovely wife. She will claim it is too expensive to drink.

Meanwhile, I will have 1 or 2 nice pours at $5 - $8 per, and she will have 3 or 4 beers that equal nearly the same.

Ahh, I love her so.

:lol:

IowaJeff
01-14-2010, 14:14
Recommendations - You can get Elijah Craig 12 at Central City for 19.99. You get a 10% discount if you say 'coupon.' I have really liked the last couple of bottles I have had of that. They also have the Evan Williams Single Barrel for under 30. Nothing wrong with Maker's and WT 101 either. If you want to try a rye you can get Sazerac around town at a few places. If you want to expand further head up to cyclone liquors in ames. Cyclone does tasting sometimes too.

I don't have a lot of local bar recommendations. If you drink scotch there's the royal mile. Tonic in WDM has some different stuff.

I agree about drink prices. I hate paying 8-10 for MM, WT, or something like that neat. Its absurd.

gblick
01-14-2010, 14:29
Bourbons use at least 51% in the mashbill by law.. You left out the word 'corn'...Bourbons use at least 51% corn in the mashbill by law..

(just wanted to avoid any confusion)

Inthewater
01-14-2010, 14:37
Oh, I have scotch / burbon at the Mile just about every weekend with my wife and or friends. :)

I will have to check out that Elijah Craig. I see that Central City has some really high end stuff, but not much in the middle of the road area. Laready knew about the "coupon", but thanks for the tip. :)

The owner is a crazy old coot, but he is a good guy.

Thanks again for the tips. May have to swing by at lunch and grab a bottle.

gblick
01-14-2010, 14:43
Btw, welcome to SB.com, Inthewater. How rude of me to neglect welcoming you aboard while clarifying funknik's reply.

p_elliott
01-15-2010, 02:40
Ahh, well i have a knack for that sort of thing. :)

I'll have to check which WT they have up in the corner at my local watering hole. I'll try it regardless, but now I am curious.

I recommended Old Weller Antique 7 / 107 because you like MM and MM is a wheater bourbon. OWA is a wheater bourbon but is older and higher proof and less expensive. So YOU may like it better the problem is I don't know if you can find it in Iowa or not it's not on the Iowa liquor control site list (Iowa ABD). If you get down to MO or any other state in the union pick it up.

I'll forgive your transgressions against Wild Turkey just this one time :grin: . The reason I didn't recommend WT 101 to you is WT 101 is a high rye bourbon very different from MM. Where MM is sweet, WT 101 is spicy. WT 101 is a high quality product you won't find hardly anyone that has anything bad to say about it. Almost everyone has a bottle on their bar and you can find it in just about every bar in the country. WT 101 is my staple bourbon and I do recommend that you do try it, it's good Kentucky sipping bourbon.

Inthewater
01-15-2010, 06:23
Had a glass of MM last night, and one of WT 101 to follow. Both were great. Not sure I liked either "better", both had nice complex tastes.

The WT was, however, quite a bit more potent, which I did like. Thanks for the info. Been eyeing that bottle up there for a while now. I always thought it was a lesser burbon, due to the fact that as you said, it is everywhere.

Happy to be set right.

Stu
01-16-2010, 10:38
Welcome to the site. At the risk of being kicked off the site, I must say that my favorite distillery in the world is Laphroaig. So our tastes may be similar. My favorite bourbons are EC 18, Basil Hayden, and anything by FR. There are others that I thouroughly enjoy now that I thought were sweetenws gravel when I was being converted. My wife is another "dark side" convertee and one of her first favorites is 1792.

fishnbowljoe
01-17-2010, 16:46
Welcome to SB ITW. Looks like you've got all the recommendations you can handle for a while, so I won't bother with that. :rolleyes: I'll just say that we're glad to have you. I hope you enjoy it here and have a little fun while learning a little something about bourbon. :grin:

It's also nice to see things pick up as far as our membership in Iowa is concerned. :woohoo: Paul was getting a bit lonely stuck out there all by his lonesome. :lol: You and Jeff are at least reasonably in the neighborhood.

Well, bottoms up! :toast: Cheers, and again, welcome aboard. Joe

Inthewater
01-18-2010, 06:11
Thanks again, everyone. Found that my local Hy-Vee grocery store has a decent selection, even if it isn't the cheapest, as does Dahl's.

Going to be stopping there a few times inthe next week or two.

I wish more places carried the smaller bottles. Feel like a drunk walking up to the register with 2 bottles of whiskey. Which is odd because I never feel that way with multiple bottles of rum / vodka / etc for big parties.

Anyway, thanks again.

:grin:

Inthewater
01-19-2010, 09:01
Picked up a bottle of the 2000 dated EWSB at Hy-Vee last night. Wow, tasty stuff, and not too bad, even from a grocery store. $27 and change plus tax / deposit.

Anyway, great nose on that stuff. Aromas were enticing even my burbon hating wife. :)

It had a nice, hot alcohol burn if you swished it around, just to let you know it was not some sissy drink, but never enough to keep you from enjoying the flavors.

Gonna be sipping that one for a while. I'll have to head to Cebtral City next week and see what they have in that same range. Would like to try some Buffalo Trace stuff.

CorvallisCracker
01-19-2010, 09:19
Picked up a bottle of the 2000 dated EWSB...

Anyway, great nose on that stuff. Aromas were enticing even my burbon hating wife. :)

It had a nice, hot alcohol burn if you swished it around, just to let you know it was not some sissy drink, but never enough to keep you from enjoying the flavors.

Yes, the burn doesn't bother me either, but it was a bit too much for my wife (who absolutely adores the 1994 EWSB).