PDA

View Full Version : New member from Northern Virginia

rocky480
01-20-2010, 14:59
Well, I've been lurking on this site for the past few months and decided I needed to become an actual registered member to enhance and expand my bourbon and rye knowledge. So here I am to say "Hi" to everyone.

For entertainment purposes only, here's the brief story of how I've gotten here. It's all thanks to a fateful trip to Louisville back at the beginning of November. My wife and I enjoy road trips, so we decided we'd be driving to the family wedding in Cincinati. Why not add a few days in Kentucky to the trip since we'd never been? I had always enjoyed mixing up Beam white label back in my college days, and had since stepped up to some of the higher tier bourbons like Woodford, Maker's Mark, and the Beam small batch offerings, so I thought that we should visit at least one distillery while we were there. We were staying in Louisville, so we hit the Beam operation for what you can get out of it and then hauled down to Loretto to catch the last tour of the day at Maker's Mark. My wife and brother-in-law who don't really partake in bourbon had a good time doing the tours, so all was well. Whenever I road trip I also like to hit liquor stores in other states to see and buy things I can't get back in the DC area. Well, my eyes were opened to a bunch of bourbons I had never seen or heard of before, so I immediately started researching as much as I could while I was on the road. I bought two bottles I had never seen that looked interesting while I was in KY, and it's been all downhill from there.

Now I realize there's a lot I've been missing out on in the bourbon business and I have a lot of sampling I need to do, as well as a lot of learning. I'm looking forward to it and have already told my wife that we're headed back to KY sooner rather than later (this time I'll be a little better prepared).

I'm looking forward to being on here to learn from those much wiser than me when it comes to a topic I really enjoy. Thanks for your time if you've read this far!

CorvallisCracker
01-20-2010, 15:08
I bought two bottles I had never seen that looked interesting...and it's been all downhill from there.

Yes, that's how it's been for many of us. :rolleyes:

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Stu
01-20-2010, 22:52
There's a world of knowledge to be gained from this site. But everyone's taste is different. If you like it, it's good. If you don't like it, it's not good. Doesn't matter what the experts say and it sure doesn't matter what it costs. I prefer HH ultra deluxe to many bourbons costing two to three times as much and I think everything from FR is a steal (but I probably have no taste).

fishnbowljoe
01-21-2010, 12:59
Welcome aboard Rocky. You story sounds very similar to mine. A trip to Kentucky for the Bourbon Festival, a few distillery tours, bought a couple of bottles, did a little research, then I found this site. WHAM! That's all she wrote. :bigeyes: Like Stu mentioned, there's a whole lot of information to be found on this site. You can learn a lot, and have some fun doing it too. Another plus are the people here. Lots of good folks. I've met a lot of great people, and made some good friends in the process. All I can say is fasten your seatbelt. It's gonna be a fun ride. :woohoo: Cheer! Joe

Inthewater
01-21-2010, 13:55
Welcome fellow new member.

Great place to get info and opinions about the fire water.

SMOWK
01-21-2010, 14:44
If you ever take a trip to Ocean City, MD. PM me.

independant
01-21-2010, 14:59
Welcome to SB. I don't know if you realize the amount of bourbon that is available to you living up in the DC area. I am a few hours south of you down in Lynchburg Va and aside from Kentucky the best selection of bourbon can be found in the DC area. Take some time to visit some of the liquor stores in the city and you will find a lot of bourbons that you may have never seen before.

rocky480
01-21-2010, 19:10
Welcome to SB. I don't know if you realize the amount of bourbon that is available to you living up in the DC area. I am a few hours south of you down in Lynchburg Va and aside from Kentucky the best selection of bourbon can be found in the DC area. Take some time to visit some of the liquor stores in the city and you will find a lot of bourbons that you may have never seen before.

I didn't realize what was available in DC until I started trying to find a bottle of WLW and the Virginia ABC failed me. Stopping in a couple of stores in DC has been good for the bourbon collection, not so good for the wallet. So far I've only stopped in three of them, but that's led to a few new items to try.

ggilbertva
01-27-2010, 13:09
Rocky,

There are a number of SB.com members that live here in the DC area. Welcome to the site and feel free to ask questions. Make use of the search function as there's lots of bourbon info that makes interesting reading and may answer some of your general bourbon questions.