PDA

View Full Version : George T. Stagg candy bar!

silverfish
01-29-2010, 06:13
BonBonBar (http://bonbonbar.com/bourbonbar.html) has a bourbon candy bar:

"Bourbon Ganache, Chewy Caramel, Dark Chocolate,
Maldon Salt, Black Pepper, Corn Wafer

For a limited time, we are honored to be using George T. Stagg
Bourbon in this candy bar. This limited-production 141.8 proof
bourbon is renowned for perfectly balancing intensity and finesse."

Box of 3 only $15.00

kickert
01-29-2010, 06:34
That sounds amazing... Bourbon, black pepper, caramel... those are some of my favorite tastes.

Anyone want to split a pack?

ggilbertva
01-29-2010, 07:31
I folded like a cheap suit....I ordered a box. Candy made with Stagg is just too much to pass up.

Gillman
01-29-2010, 07:57
That sounds very good.

I recall with pleasure bourbon balls made some years ago by Bobby Cox and Amelia with 2002 Stagg, served at a gazebo that year or the next, which were quite amazing. Never had anything like that since.

Gary

spun_cookie
01-29-2010, 08:17
I folded like a cheap suit....I ordered a box. Candy made with Stagg is just too much to pass up.

a whore of my color as well... I ordered a 6 pack :D

IronHead
01-29-2010, 10:11
Yeah, I am going to have to check these out as well.

CorvallisCracker
01-29-2010, 10:36
Bourbon AND chocolate? In one? :bigeyes:

I too ordered six. It wasn't easy...hands wouldn't stop shaking...

OscarV
01-29-2010, 14:05
I just placed my order, how can you resist?

gothbat
01-29-2010, 14:34
Yeah, good find; just ordered 3!

sku
01-29-2010, 16:09
BonBonBar is a great California-based chocolate company. Well, company is a bit of an overstatement; it's a one-woman operation, but she makes great stuff. I've tried nearly all of their products and they are fabulous. They have a Scotch bar that uses Talisker as well as various caramels and marshmallows, and one of my favorites is there chocolate caramel nut bar. This Stagg bar will definitely be worth a try.

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2008/02/bonbonbars-scotch-bar-two-great-tastes.html

ggilbertva
01-30-2010, 08:19
My Stagg BonBonBar package is on the way.......can hardly wait!

spun_cookie
01-30-2010, 13:18
My Stagg BonBonBar package is on the way.......can hardly wait!

Mine does not ship for 4 days :(

callmeox
01-30-2010, 14:28
I ordered 6. I wonder if the owner is scratching her head about the sudden popularity of that item. :cool:

callmeox
01-30-2010, 14:31
The owner has a twitter feed and here's her update from late last night:

"Well, helloooooo bourbon enthusiasts. Thanks for visiting and enjoying my website today! BRB. **runs to make a kazillion candy bars.**"

http://twitter.com/NinaMW

They sound like a popular item so far. :grin:

silverfish
01-30-2010, 16:52

"Well, helloooooo bourbon enthusiasts.

Now that is funny.

kickert
01-30-2010, 18:03

"Well, helloooooo bourbon enthusiasts. Thanks for visiting and enjoying my website today! BRB. **runs to make a kazillion candy bars.**"

http://twitter.com/NinaMW

They sound like a popular item so far. :grin:

You mean people on that "other" website are buying these too?

StraightBoston
01-31-2010, 19:54
Aww hell... I bought a box too (and helped out Haiti in so doing!)
BTW: thanks Timothy, for looking out for her (our) interests! (Where did she score the Stagg -- and do you think she'll start doing special orders? "Yes, I'd like a box of ND OGD 114 chocolates...")

Stones
02-01-2010, 00:41
I wonder if she'll ship to Oz? :yum:

silverfish
02-01-2010, 07:55
I wonder if she'll ship to Oz? :yum:

From the Shipping page (http://bonbonbar.com/shipping1.html):

"We do not ship outside the United States,..."

MarkEdwards
02-01-2010, 09:43
From the Shipping page (http://bonbonbar.com/shipping1.html):
"We do not ship outside the United States,..."

I thought Australia was part of Southwest Texas. :grin:

SMOWK
02-01-2010, 10:08
PM me. Have them shipped to my address, and I'll send them to ya.

Stones
02-01-2010, 22:54
I thought Australia was part of Southwest Texas. :grin:

Hahaha!!! :grin::slappin:We are just a small island a little way off the west coast really...

PM me. Have them shipped to my address, and I'll send them to ya.

Thanks so much for your offer... i will see if the other guys here would like a few too if that's ok and i will PM you when to expect. Muchly appreciate the courteous offer.

cowdery
02-03-2010, 12:01
A lot of times with chocolate, shipping is restricted because they can't guarantee the condition of the candy, especially if it gets too hot. I know some candy companies who won't ship at all during the summer for that reason.

OscarV
02-03-2010, 14:37
A lot of times with chocolate, shipping is restricted because they can't guarantee the condition of the candy, especially if it gets too hot. I know some candy companies who won't ship at all during the summer for that reason.

Good point, I think I'll order another round, Lord knows it's cold enough.

IronHead
02-04-2010, 16:59
Did anyone get theirs yet? I'm still waiting.

CorvallisCracker
02-04-2010, 18:44
Did anyone get theirs yet? I'm still waiting.

Yesterday I got an E-Mail informing me it had shipped.

mobourbon
02-04-2010, 21:46
I got an email saying mine would come tomorrow, feb 5.

barturtle
02-05-2010, 00:37
I got an email saying mine would come tomorrow, feb 5.

I hope you ordered enough to share at the next meeting...:cool:

barturtle
02-05-2010, 01:41
http://www.hotchicksdigsmartmen.com/2010/02/religious-experience.html

barturtle
02-05-2010, 01:44
NinaMW (http://twitter.com/NinaMW) More bourbon ganache. More, more, more.:slappin:

ggilbertva
02-05-2010, 08:35
Mine shipped and is en-route. I expect it today or at least I hope so. We're supposed to get upwards of 26" of snow which actually just started about 10 mins. ago...... ah crap.:hot:

ggilbertva
02-05-2010, 09:19
I ordered the three pack but Nina was generous enough to throw an extra single in the box. Thank you Nina!

Nina is a true candy artisan. I'm snacking on a portion of one bar right now and it really is delicious and of course, the bourbon is evident but not as dominant as this enthusiast would like. Nonetheless, it's delicious and I don't think any of you that ordered will be disappointed.

Yum! :yum::yum::yum:

OscarV
02-05-2010, 12:33
I got mine today. It's tasty but nothing special, a slight peppery flavor after about 5 minutes.
There's a heck of a lot of other chocolates that I'd put over it.
As a matter of fact get a Whitman's Sampler all nut version and have a bourbon with them.
But of course, that is IMHO.

callmeox
02-05-2010, 14:47
I'm with Greg...very good stuff.

spun_cookie
02-05-2010, 14:54
I'm with Greg...very good stuff.

My wife loved the one I opened. I agree with Oscar that there needs to be more bourbon in them, but they are very good as is...

The Stagg taste is very sift with respect to the other wonderful flavors and would guess that if this was based on a Scotch recipe, that the peat would stand out more... Triple to quadruple the bourbon and we would be getting there.

I will surly enjoy the other 5 I have...

OscarV
02-05-2010, 14:58
Oh yeah theyr'e good, no doubt, but no need to make a fuss over them.
More like carmel and toffee than bourbon flavors.
Hey, Old Rip 10/107 tastes like carmelized toffee!
I think I'll open up a bottle!

IronHead
02-06-2010, 11:27
Got my 3 pack (now a 2 pack) yesterday. It is a very tasty, very high quality candy bar, but I was expecting closer to bourbon ball levels of bourbon flavor, too.

ThomasH
02-06-2010, 21:12
Ohio doesn't have any Whitman all nut samplers, they all got shipped to Michigan!

Thomas

callmeox
02-06-2010, 21:14
Oh yeah theyr'e good, no doubt, but no need to make a fuss over them.
More like carmel and toffee than bourbon flavors.
Hey, Old Rip 10/107 tastes like carmelized toffee!
I think I'll open up a bottle!

I will make a fuss over whatever I choose.

I think you have control issues. :grin:

SMOWK
02-06-2010, 22:48
I'm sure the snow has held mine up. At least they won't be melted.

Best of all, my girlfriend is allergic to milk. And the dog, well, she doesn't like bourbon.

CorvallisCracker
02-07-2010, 12:11
My wife and I split one Friday night.

No, the bourbon flavor is not all that strong, but they are very, very rich.

SMOWK
02-07-2010, 13:34
Maybe we should be treating them somewhat like an Oreo, and dipping them in a glass of Stagg?

ggilbertva
02-07-2010, 13:58
Maybe we should be treating them somewhat like an Oreo, and dipping them in a glass of Stagg?

I'm thinking that's a good idea.

StraightBoston
02-07-2010, 14:47
I'm a fan, though so far it's only the first nibble that has the bourbon kick (I for one was glad not to get bourbon ball levels!) I find that the salt dominates on subsequent bites.

SMOWK
02-08-2010, 17:57
Mine finally showed up at the ol' mailbox. I threw 'em up on the shelf awaiting the next bottle of Stagg I open. I was serious about dipping them in the bourbon...why not?

cigarnv
02-09-2010, 05:10
How big are these bars? Site does not say.

Seems easier (and less $$) to just sip a bit of Stagg while enjoying a bit of high quality chocolate.....

Vange
02-09-2010, 10:16
2 inch x 1 inch

VERY good, well made, tasty chocolate. Needs more bourbon, only a hint of the GTS in it.

SMOWK
02-09-2010, 11:51
At a little over $4/oz. They are more expensive than a bottle of Stagg.

cowdery
02-09-2010, 14:35
I happened to see an episode of "Good Eats" on Food Network, in which Alton makes chocolate ganache for truffles. The recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chocolate-truffles-recipe/index.html) calls for chocolate, butter, cream, corn syrup and brandy.

jburlowski
02-10-2010, 04:58
How big are these bars? Site does not say.

Seems easier (and less $$) to just sip a bit of Stagg while enjoying a bit of high quality chocolate.....

You are right...

Just got and tried some of these. The other comments here are right on. Little (if any) bourbon taste. Chocolate is good but over-priced.

I prefer a Vosges (http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/category/bacon_and_chocolate_bars)bacon & chocolate bar while sipping my favorite pour. (Also try their smoked almonds covered in chocolate with sea salt)

Josh
02-10-2010, 05:43
Well I've dug into my box already and I do get some bourbon, but I would say the chocolate is playing lead here, which is the way it should be. The wife & I have been enjoying them a lot. The price is high, but it's a unique product and I think the price is on par with gourmet candies from other places.

I'm glad I got them and I'm sure I'll be ordering from her in the future!

bonneamie
02-10-2010, 08:20
Thak you Josh for sharing one of your stash with me. It was a delicious treat during my workday with a hint of bourbon.

berrythekid
02-11-2010, 10:01
Had another episode of compulsive internet shopping yesterday and picked up ice ball molds from MoMA and 3 of these Stagg bourbon bars. Reading the recent comments has me skeptical but it'll make a good topic for a blog post.

www.blindtastes.blogspot.com

sku
02-11-2010, 10:33
I really like them, maybe not as much as her single malt bar, but still very good.

They aren't intended to be Bourbon balls or liquor filled chocolates, the Bourbon is an ingredient that melds with the others and gives the bar a rich flavor and a feint Bourbon finish...good stuff.

craigthom
02-15-2010, 08:39
I happened to see an episode of "Good Eats" on Food Network, in which Alton makes chocolate ganache for truffles. The recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chocolate-truffles-recipe/index.html) calls for chocolate, butter, cream, corn syrup and brandy.

I've made Alton's truffles several times, most often for gifts, and I have used bourbon in place of the brandy. Whether with bourbon or cognac they are always a well-received gift.

I've seen truffle recipes that have a more solid center and no enrobing, but snap of the outer shell and the smooth creamy middle make these a better choice. It's more work, since you have to temper the chocolate used for the shell, but better results.

I have not tasted store-bought truffles that are this good. On the other hand, since I use expensive chocolate, these cost more than most store-bought truffles (not counting labor).

MrAtomic
03-12-2010, 14:20
First off, thank you to Sku and Chuck for discussing BonBon Bar chocolates on their respective blogs. I wouldn't have known about them otherwise, and they made for a great Valentine's Day present to my girlfriend. Giving a variety of BonBon Bar candies as a gift allowed me to sample the Stagg bar without drawing attention to myself or my bourbon geekiness.

I like the Stagg flavored bar a lot -- the salty topping works well with the rich sweetness and the flavor of bourbon. As others have mentioned, the Stagg doesn't clout you over the head, but I definitely pick up the taste of bourbon.

I'd buy more, and look forward to tasting the Talisker-flavored bar.

cowdery
03-12-2010, 20:31
All credit to Silverfish. I wouldn't have known about the bourbon bar but for this thread, which he started.

MrAtomic
03-14-2010, 19:31
All credit to Silverfish. I wouldn't have known about the bourbon bar but for this thread, which he started.

Chuck,

Thanks for the reminder -- I certainly didn't mean to slight Silverfish, who not only started this thread but generously tips the board off when various retailers put whiskies on sale.

Oh, and I just tasted one of the coffee-flavored chocolates from BonBon Bar, and may like it even more than the Stagg bar. If only I weren't such a blubberpot, I'd be eating this stuff every day.

silverfish
04-14-2010, 09:11
Anyone looking to try (or retry!) these, I received an e-mail from Nina:

BonBonBar (http://bonbonbar.com/products.html) s holding its 2nd Annual Candy Comfort promotion! Just as we begin
to emerge from wintertime, tax-time, and recession-time (hopefully!), I think
that a little handmade candy for friends, family, and co-workers might come as
a welcome relief.

So, the rules are the same as last year -- we're offering a 20% discount for all
confections sent as gifts through Sunday, April 18. Do gifts to yourself count?
Absolutely... but remember that all orders must be accompanied by a gift
message. Kind (or funny) words rival chocolate in brightening up someone's
day, and that is what candy comfort is all about!

Coupon code: candycomfort

bigtoys
05-13-2010, 20:53
just ordered scotch and bourbon collection. includes, in addition to stagg bars, talisker DE bars and balvenie 2wood caramels.

hope it stays cool here for shipping.

bourbonNOOG
11-09-2010, 08:44
Just ordered a box of 6 for the Dad for Christmas. Hoping he's generous enough to share one with me since I have let him indulge in a couple of pours of my 2010 Stagg.

Josh
10-04-2011, 20:48
Sadly, Nina is closing her online candy business. The deadline for orders is October 6, so get those Stagg (and Scotch) bars while you can!

http://www.bonbonbar.com/

Bourbon Boiler
10-05-2011, 19:32
Sad news, but thanks for the notification, Josh.

Jono
10-13-2011, 10:36
Hmm, I have never made candy but candy bars can be a cooking project....just add your favorite whiskey:

http://www.chow.com/food-news/54139/make-your-own-candy-bars/

http://www.ohnuts.com/blog/2011/01/how_to_make_homemade_candy_bar.html

Buffalo Bill
10-13-2011, 20:16
Mmm... I could go for an ER17 Truffle!