PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Gin?

RamblinWreck007
02-10-2010, 19:56
Now, man does not live on whiskey alone.

No, there are cocktails to be drunk as well. Especially martinis. So, what's your favorite juniper-based GNS at the moment?

Mine: widely available would be Bombay Regular or Beefeater. Both great in martinis

Limited availability: Junipero (by Anchor Steam in SF) and Gale Force Gin (made by Triple 8 Distillers on the island of Nantucket, MA) These are fine in drinks, but I actually recommend them plain on the rocks or with a few dashes of bitters stirred in.

[Though for something like a GnT or a Gimlit, an unapologetic gin like Gordon's is best IMO]

sku
02-10-2010, 21:23
I don't care for London Dry Gin, but I'm a big fan of Genevieve Genever Gin made by Anchor Distillery which also makes Junipero gin and Old Potrero.

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2009/10/gin-for-whiskey-lovers-genevieve.html

smokinjoe
02-11-2010, 04:30
Bombay Sapphire for Martinis
Citadelle for GnTs

Josh
02-11-2010, 05:00
I like Sapphire a lot myself.

For a Tom Collins and a G & T I like this bottle I just picked up of Knickerbocker Gin made (or sold anyway) by New Holland microbrewery. Otherwiswe, I'll just use the standard Bombay or Taqueray.

For martinis, I really REALLY like a brand called Miller's. It has a great caraway scent to it and makes the best damn martinis I've ever had. It blows in a G & T though, strangely enough.

Whiskey Willie
02-11-2010, 06:05
I've tried the common gins out there, but I like Plymouth...Not much of a martini guy...Just enjoy it on the rocks.

ratcheer
02-11-2010, 06:09
I am apparently odd in that I prefer regular Bombay to the Sapphire. My longtime favorite, though, is (regular) Beefeater. And my third favorite is (regular) Tanqueray.

I think the upscale, modern gins have a sweeter taste to appeal to the younger crowd. I prefer the traditional formulations.

Tim

pepcycle
02-11-2010, 06:41
I like my Martini's and Gin is essential.

Old Raj is my new favorite.

Drank it straight, chilled, up, No fruit or veggies. Amazing aroma, sl yellow color. Juniper, front and center. Botanical background.

http://cocktailhacker.com/?p=673
Review Here.

Another I like is Martin Miller's: Dominant Citrus Notes.

Secret martini ingredient: 1/2 drop of Lee and Perrins Worcestershire. Not a dash or a shake.

docbible
02-11-2010, 06:45
I really like Citidelle, Old Raj, and Ten. I seem to always come back and replace these. tim

rockporter
02-11-2010, 07:50
For a Gibson - I like Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire - but the onions have to be good and crisp.

Hendricks on the rocks is good with either a lime or a slice of cucumber

CorvallisCracker
02-11-2010, 08:41
I like the Bombay Sapphire. Been drinking that since its introduction.

My wife likes the oude type g(j)enever. Unfortunately, neither the Genevieve nor the Boosma are sold in Oregon. We're limited to Zuidam ($66) or Bols ($48).

CorvallisCracker
02-11-2010, 15:26
My wife likes the oude type g(j)enever. Unfortunately, neither the Genevieve nor the Boosma are sold in Oregon. We're limited to Zuidam ($66) or Bols ($48).

I should add that in the states where they're available, the Boosma and Genevieve are both about $30.

IronHead
02-11-2010, 16:28
When I drink Gin I like Hendricks.

CorvallisCracker
02-11-2010, 16:33

I like Hendrix even when I don't drink gin.

IronHead
02-11-2010, 17:50
I like Hendrix even when I don't drink gin.

Listen to Hendrix while drinking Hendricks.

LarryG
02-12-2010, 10:42
I like gin just about as well as I like bourbon, although living in a control state means I'm mostly limited to the mainstream brands. Gin sharpens my appetite as no other distilled spirit can, so I particularly enjoy a couple fingers before dinner. I drink it on the rocks, usually with a couple olives.

Plymouth is probably my favorite brand, although I can't get it here, so I most often buy Tanqueray. The two brands I have open at the moment are Beefeater and Hendrick's.

Larry

Lost Pollito
02-12-2010, 10:51
I had some Knickerbocker Gin from New Holland last night, and really loved it. I've also been enjoying Ransom Old Tom Gin. Barrel aged and a nice twist for me.

kickert
02-12-2010, 11:36

If I am not drinking our stuff, I like Hendricks as well.

-bk

Dr. François
02-12-2010, 12:54
I like Seagram's Distiller's Reserve 102. Cheap, tasty, and effective.

http://www.badgerwest.com/images/SeagramsDistillersResGin.jpg

Regular Seagram's doesn't do much for me.

texascarl
02-12-2010, 13:40
Seconded on the Seagram's Distiller's Reserve, along with Beefeaters. I like Broker's, too. 80 proof gin won't do.

BourbonJoe
02-12-2010, 16:29
I can drink many different gins, but my favorite is Bombay Saphire, especially in a Martini.
Joe :usflag:

jsanford
02-16-2010, 14:13
I really like Bluecoat out of Philly and Leopold Bros. out of Denver

Lost Pollito
02-16-2010, 17:34
If I am not drinking our stuff, I like Hendricks as well.

-bk
I really liked the Corsair Gin samples that we tried. You guys are doing a great job. :grin:

Westernboys
02-17-2010, 10:02
Bombay Sapphire is an all round favorite and for something special Hendrik's is nice.

Vange
02-18-2010, 08:34
London Dry - smoothest gin I have ever had
Old Raj - most character
Hendricks - cucumber dominant but great gin

Josh
02-18-2010, 11:06
Still no more love for Miller's. I'm telling you, folks, buy a bottle, make yourself a dry martini and thank me later. http://www.martinmillersgin.com/

I am not affiliated with these guys in anayway. I just love this gin.

Dr. François
03-01-2010, 19:03
Still no more love for Miller's. I'm telling you, folks, buy a bottle, make yourself a dry martini and thank me later. http://www.martinmillersgin.com/

I am not affiliated with these guys in anayway. I just love this gin.

Okay, Josh...you have me interested. Why is it so good? And do I want the regular or the Westbourne?

bonneamie
03-01-2010, 19:09
Josh, me too. Next time I buy gin, I'll get some Millers and give it a try. holiday market?

Josh
03-01-2010, 19:19
Okay, Josh...you have me interested. Why is it so good? And do I want the regular or the Westbourne?

Hmmmm. I don't know, I think the Westbourne. I got the one in the black faux-leather box. It's not listed as a botanical, but I get a lot of caraway out of this. It's just hard to pin down, but I love Martin Miller Martinis. If you buy it and don't like it, I'll drink the rest for you.:grin:

ErichPryde
03-01-2010, 19:56
the only time I get sick, and easily, is when I drink gin. specifically, I had a friend who loves gin and tonics.

Perhaps I should have Josh throw me up a dry martini sometime...

Josh
03-01-2010, 20:08
Josh, me too. Next time I buy gin, I'll get some Millers and give it a try. holiday market?

the only time I get sick, and easily, is when I drink gin. specifically, I had a friend who loves gin and tonics.

Perhaps I should have Josh throw me up a dry martini sometime...

I've never thrown up a gin martini, but I'll give it a try for you, Erik. :lol:

Yup, it's sold at Holiday all right. Pick some up and bring the bottle to church on Wednesday Amy. :slappin:

bigtoys
03-23-2010, 20:47
Bombay Sapphire
Hendricks
Tanq 10

cowdery
03-24-2010, 21:04
I've been trying some of the craft gins. The Rehorst, from Great Lakes, is very good.

Ultra
03-24-2010, 22:09
Hendricks
Tanq 10

sailor22
03-25-2010, 06:00
Corsair
Hendricks

Special Reserve
03-25-2010, 15:42
Years ago, for a while it was one of my functions to make gin for the department staff. Someone had a receipt for gin and as an Organic Chemistry research lab we had almost unlimited access to Gold Shield (200 proof) alcohol it was a favorite drink of the department and at 21 I didn't much care.

Why the hell I didn't keep the receipt I'll never know.

ACDetroit
03-25-2010, 15:59
Why the hell I didn't keep the receipt I'll never know.

That's a very valid question Will! I'm thinking I wish you still had it myself!

Tony

chazjaz
05-05-2010, 17:02
Bombay reg. on the rocks, but substitute Trader Joe's garlic mushrooms for the olives. Sometimes in a wild mood I use both. Makes a complete meal.:cool:

StraightBoston
05-05-2010, 19:03
Plymouth for cocktails (e.g. a "true" martini with original Noilly Prat and Fee Bros. Orange Bitters.)

Just picked up a bottle of Knockabout Gin from Gloucester, MA. Fairly light and with a nice mix of botanicals -- I'm drinking it neat for now(!)

unclebunk
05-06-2010, 19:29
Nothing fancy. My wife is English and her entire family drinks Boodles British Gin (reportedly a favorite of Winston Churchill, I'm told). Although we occasionally buy Tanqueray Rangpur, Boodles is generally what's on offer in our home and it's great all summer long!

smokinjoe
05-22-2010, 15:34
I've been totally diggin' on a bottle of Corsair Gin that a buddy brought back from BG, KY for me. On the rocks with a squeeze of lemon is terrific. GnT's are delicious, as well. There is a very dry element to this gin. Like the pages from an old book. Not, the spritzy juniper hit of most. I can't ID what it is, but it is very different, and I quite enjoy it.

Rughi
07-13-2010, 21:17
Well,

It's grain was brought off the still at very high proof
It has less than 9.09% non-grain alcohol additives after distillation
It's aged in charred white oak barrels (not necessarily unused)
It states "distilled by Joseph E. Seagram & Sons"

Sounding pretty much like a Canadian Whisky?
Nope. It's.....

Seagram's Extra Dry Gin of Lawrenceburg, Indiana

ratcheer
07-14-2010, 06:16
Rughi, Seagram's is the gin I pick, too, when I am not buying British gin.

Tim

Rughi
07-14-2010, 07:23
Rughi, Seagram's is the gin I pick, too, when I am not buying British gin.

Tim

I'm not sure it's so great, but the barrel aging (3 whole months!) is at least comforting to a whiskey drinker trying to find familiar ground in a field of fancy, herbed-up GNS.

Unfortunately, Mrs. Rughi put me on notice that I'd better quit fooling around with more cheap or pricey bottles and get Gilbeys, like she likes. It's not about about cost or variety it's about the junipers!

Roger

dgonano
07-14-2010, 14:57
Seagram's was ok for a G & T. That was over 40 yrs ago...do they still make it? Back then I always wondered why it was yellow-green. Probably made from excess GNS from the blended days.

Beefeater was always my favorite..distinct taste. Regular Bombay is also good.

ratcheer
07-14-2010, 15:20
Beefeater was always my favorite..distinct taste. Regular Bombay is also good.

Those are exactly my two favorites.

Tim

whskylvr
07-14-2010, 15:43
Good ol' Bumpy!!

Rughi
07-14-2010, 16:35
Good ol' Bumpy!!

Nice! The possibilities for mixed drinks expands quickly:

Bump in the road
Bump on a log
Bumpy ride
Bumpy landing
Bumpy night
Bump of direction (for while you closet D&Ders roll a d20)
Colbert Bump (for imbibing with the faux news)
Speed Bump
Bump & Grind
Bump on the head

whskylvr
07-14-2010, 16:45
Nice! The possibilities for mixed drinks expands quickly:

Bump in the road
Bump on a log
Bumpy ride
Bumpy landing
Bumpy night
Bump of direction (for while you closet D&Ders roll a d20)
Colbert Bump (for imbibing with the faux news)
Speed Bump
Bump & Grind
Bump on the head

We used to play Fri. Sat. night and then Sun afternoon and I used to kick butt. I was a Fighter / Cleric with awesome powers. I could just touch you and kill you. Also owned my own Kingdom.

Rughi
07-14-2010, 17:09
Okay, I'll start:

Bump on the Head
A drink that harkens to low doorways, uneven pavement, and that party you should have left an hour earlier.

1 jigger "Bumpy" (Seagram's Extra Dry Gin)
1/2 small tomato
1 sprig of Basil
7 peppercorns
Splash of tomato juice
Ice

Build in an old fashioned glass:

Layer basil over tomato in glass, sprinkle peppercorns on top
Muddle vigorously, cracking peppercorns
Add Bumpy and ice
Splash with tomato juice
Garnish with basil

Rughi
07-14-2010, 17:17
We used to play Fri. Sat. night and then Sun afternoon and I used to kick butt. I was a Fighter / Cleric with awesome powers. I could just touch you and kill you. Also owned my own Kingdom.

Oh, you shoulda been there for the early days of the West Coast Study Group. Dougge Dogg waxed Shakespearian (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=73636&highlight=Chainmail#post73636) there!

Rughi
07-14-2010, 19:19
Bump on a Log
An unambitious drink, to be taken Neat. Appropriate for out behind the dumpster.

1 bottle "Bumpy" (Seagram's Extra Dry Gin)

Lift bottle to lips
Tilt bottle

Paper bag optional.

whskylvr
07-14-2010, 19:36
Bump of Direction - AKA Compass Rose
A drink that shows cardinal directions and frequently intermediate direction.

2 jiggers "Bumpy" (Seagram's Extra Dry Gin)
4 Red Raspberries
2 Rose Petals
1 oz Lemon Juice
3/4 oz Simple Syrup
Splash of Sparkling Water
Crushed IceIn a mixing glass, muddle the raspberries. Add the rest of the ingredients and shake thoroughly, without ice. Pour the contents into a tall Collins glass filled with crushed ice. The raspberries should rise and mound at the top of the glass.

Garnish with Rose petals.

jinenjo
07-15-2010, 10:31
The Country Bumpkin

1 part Corn whiskey
1 part Seagram's Extra Dry Gin
tsp of maple syrup
Sprig of Hay

Muddle hay and crushed ice.
Add the whiskey, gin, and syrup.
Stir then strain into a small mason jar.

Drinking with a blade of grass dangling from the side of mouth, optional.

Gillman
07-15-2010, 12:53
A bespoke bumper of bibulous bounty: Bols gin, Boru vodka, Bokker's bitters, bacon bits, broken ice.

Gary

Mrs Rughi
07-15-2010, 13:53
Unfortunately, Mrs. Rughi put me on notice that I'd better quit fooling around with more cheap or pricey bottles and get Gilbeys, like she likes. It's not about about cost or variety it's about the junipers!

Roger
Ahem!

Actually, I prefer Boodles or the knock off version Boords. Gilbeys is okay, but a bit pedestrian.

And, yes, it must have some assertiveness. We had a bottle of Plymouth recently and it was disappointing. I believe I muttered "gin for vodka drinkers" on several occasions. Hmmm, maybe muttered isn't exactly right . . .

Devil Doc
08-13-2010, 06:15
Plymouth Navy Strength; my favorite for a martini. The regular is fine too.
Hendricks; w/ tonic and a slice of cucumber.

imbibehour
08-13-2010, 09:40
I was initially not a big fan of gin, but it's starting to win me over... I really actually like a drink that some people think is the pre-cursor to the Martini which is called a Martinez...

I am not sure if it's juniper based but I dig Plymouth.

I am also not sure if Hendrick's is juniper based (my guess is no? because it seems more mellow and has that cucumber thing going on...) is another favorite also.

I think I make a decent Martini, but they for some reason always seem to knock me on my a$$!!! :slappin: I can't have many of them, so I don't really make them much... :grin:

Rughi
08-13-2010, 09:55
I think I make a decent Martini, but they for some reason always seem to knock me on my a$$!!!...

Then you must be making them right.

The token "whisper" of vermouth is there to give the very civilized name of dry martini to what would otherwise be cold gin.:grin: