PDA

View Full Version : Another Noob from Raleigh

Halifax
02-15-2010, 17:10
Greetings! Been lurking around for about 4 or 5 months. Up until last fall I primarily drank bourbon with ginger ale. Evan Williams, EW 1783, OGD 86, and Henry McKenna were the primary bourbons that I mixed with. I would also mix with Dickel #8.

Some friends in my hunting club began having bourbon tastings at the club on occasion last fall. I had the opportuntiy to sampled EWSB 99/00, McKenna SB, EC 12, WT101, ETL, MM and JB Blk. All over cracked ice. No mixer.

Since then I have branched out and bought ER 10/90, Woodford, FR Small Batch, FR1B, WLW SR, and OWA. Again, over ice.

Now I have yet to develop the astute palate that most here seem to possess, but I do know what tastes good to me. Of the bourbons that I have mentioned I have yet to find to find one that I can take issue with. They do have their individual characteristics, and some I prefer more than others.

When I decide to have a bourbon, my routine is to have a handful of pours of the various bourbons in my new, albeit small collection.
So far I am partial to the OWA and ER 10/90. Two different bourbons I know, but so far in my early stages of bourbon buying/sampling... this is working for me.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. Any guidance or education will be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to the ride.

ratcheer
02-16-2010, 04:39
Welcome, Halifax. With ginger ale is a good way to start on bourbon. And, what tastes good to you is what really matters. So, I'm sure you'll fit right in, here.

Tim

fishnbowljoe
02-16-2010, 22:10
Welcome to the site Halifax. You seem to have things well in hand so far. Looks like you've tried bourbons from most of the distilleries. There's nothing wrong with being partial to OWA and ER10/90. Both are good bourbons. FWIW, I have multiple bottles of each in my bunker. :grin: Hope you enjoy yourself here at SB. Cheers! Joe

p_elliott
02-18-2010, 08:49
Halifax welcome to the site, looks like you've been trying a few different bourbons. Glad you've finally decided to join up if you have been lurking for a while you know how it works around here. I wouldn't worry too much about your palate as long as you know what you like and don't like that's all that matters. Master Distiller Parker Beam said once if your bourbon taste like anything other than bourbon there's something wrong with your bourbon. Chat is Officially Thursday and Sunday but you never know when someone might be in there, stop in and join us.

deaconbones
02-18-2010, 14:41
Great to see someone else from Raleigh.

I noticed a few bottles you listed that I have not seen at any of the stores I frequent. Are you buying WLW SR and FR 1B locally? If so where? I recently tried the WLW SR and have become a fan.

Have you tried Buffalo Trace yet? Easy to find around here and the price seems to be right.

Take care

Halifax
02-18-2010, 20:11
...I noticed a few bottles you listed that I have not seen at any of the stores I frequent. Are you buying WLW SR and FR 1B locally? If so where? I recently tried the WLW SR and have become a fan.

Have you tried Buffalo Trace yet? Easy to find around here and the price seems to be right.

I picked up a handful of WLW SR at the Enfield, NC store near my hunting club a couple of months back. I believe I also saw it at the Garner store on Hwy 70 near White Oak, but you may want to call first. The only place I've found FR 1B is at the store in Angier. The manager there is a nice lady named Shirley. She is great, and will bring in what you want. They have one of the best bourbon selections that I have seen around the Triangle.

I just bought a bottle of BT today at the store in Zebulon. Looking forward to crackin' it open. I will be in Enfield next Friday the 26th. I can pick up some WLW SR for you if you wish.

deaconbones
02-19-2010, 10:45
I picked up a handful of WLW SR at the Enfield, NC store near my hunting club a couple of months back. I believe I also saw it at the Garner store on Hwy 70 near White Oak, but you may want to call first. The only place I've found FR 1B is at the store in Angier. The manager there is a nice lady named Shirley. She is great, and will bring in what you want. They have one of the best bourbon selections that I have seen around the Triangle.

I just bought a bottle of BT today at the store in Zebulon. Looking forward to crackin' it open. I will be in Enfield next Friday the 26th. I can pick up some WLW SR for you if you wish.

I really appreciate the offer but my father-in-law is heading to Greens in Myrtle beach this weekend and I have him picking me up a few big bottles of the WLW SR.

The Angier store sounds interesting. I'll keep it in mind when I am over that way.

Halifax
02-19-2010, 13:38
I was in the Angier store today. I noticed that they also stocked WLW SR.