PDA

View Full Version : alternatives to Buffalo Trace

raquel
02-23-2010, 22:38
My brother is a big bourbon fan, and I've started drinking a decent amount lately. I've tried a lot, but not many expensive things, and I'm not really that sophisticated about it. At first I liked Maker's Mark, then after I went to a few whiskey tours and events in Louisville I decided I liked Elijah Craig 12-year. Then I decided I really liked Jim Beam Black. Then I decided Elijah Craig just tasted too funky and Jim Beam Black had too weird of an aftertaste. I'd pretty much settled on Buffalo Trace as my favorite. I'm from Ohio and it was about $22 there, and that was about as much as I wanted to pay. I remembered liking Knob Creek on the Jim Beam tour, and really liking Bernheim at the last Evan Williams single barrel unveiling, but I never really wanted to buy them because of the price. I've never even tried Woodford Reserve.

But three weeks ago I moved to Arizona, and everything's so cheap here:

Bernheim Wheat $33.99
Evan Williams $7.99
Knob Creek $24.99
Woodford Reserve $23.99
Jim Beam Black $14.99
Johnnie Walker Black $19.99

And some stuff I used to think was a great deal is the same price here:

Weller Antique $18.99
Canadian Club Classic 12 $16.49
Bowmore Legend $24.99

Buffalo Trace is $19.99, so that's only a little cheaper than Ohio.

So maybe I should try some new stuff. I really like the flavor of Buffalo Trace, but it seems like a kinda bad deal now. I mean, it feels weird that Buffalo Trace and Johnnie Walker Black cost the same. I've been drinking a lot more of the Johnnie Walker!

I just feel like I have to start over and try new stuff. I'm hoping I can get a few tips instead of having to try every single thing.

Thanks!

OscarV
02-24-2010, 01:53
The standard Four Roses and Old Grand Dad seem to be in your price range.

kickert
02-24-2010, 05:00
You could try moving up the Buffalo Trace chain and try either Elmer T Lee of Eagle Rare Single Barrel. ER would be the same mashbill as BT, while ETL would be the higher rye. Conversely, you could drop down the chain and try Old Charter 10 or AAA 10yr (OC is the same mashbill as BT while AAA is the higher rye).

wadewood
02-24-2010, 05:16
if you are experimenting to find a bourbon you like, then throw price at the window when comparing. Pricing and what you like may have nothing in common.

Most of us here on this site are not trying to find "the one" brand they drink all they time - we like variety.

CorvallisCracker
02-24-2010, 07:49
But three weeks ago I moved to Arizona, and everything's so cheap here:

Bernheim Wheat $33.99
Evan Williams $7.99
Knob Creek $24.99
Woodford Reserve $23.99
Jim Beam Black $14.99
Johnnie Walker Black $19.99

And some stuff I used to think was a great deal is the same price here:

Weller Antique $18.99
Canadian Club Classic 12 $16.49
Bowmore Legend $24.99

Buffalo Trace is $19.99, so that's only a little cheaper than Ohio.

:bigeyes:

Prices here (set by the OLCC):

Bernheim Wheat na
Evan Williams $12.95 (black label)
Knob Creek $37.95
Woodford Reserve $34.95
Jim Beam Black $22.95
Johnnie Walker Black $37.95
Weller Antique $26.95
Canadian Club Classic 12 $24.95
Bowmore Legend $30.95
Buffalo Trace is $24.95

Sorry Raquel, hard as I try, I can't feel your pain.

But in the spirit of Helpfulness, I'll suggest Very Old Barton. It's six years old and comes in 80, 86, 90 and 100 proof versions. The 90 proof vesion became available here in Oregon last year, and we really like it. It's definitely our favorite under $20 bourbon, costing $13.45 here.

I expect you can get it for under $10 where you are.

raquel
02-24-2010, 09:58
The standard Four Roses and Old Grand Dad seem to be in your price range.

I guess I have to try Four Roses again. I've been on their tour a couple times and it's one of the better tours (when they're not in their shutdown period). The thing that always really stood out to me is when they're talking about all their different bourbons they actually tell you each one of them and the Seagrams catalog number for the yeast, and that always turned me off. I guess I like feeling like there's something sentimental going on, otherwise I might as well be drinking my Red Bull and Absolut.

I'm half kidding, but when everybody else talks about their recipe and yeast being in the family for 100 years, it's weird hearing that Four Roses was owned by Seagrams and just picked their yeast out of a catalog. But I remember liking all but one of the four samples on the tour quite a bit.

You could try moving up the Buffalo Trace chain and try either Elmer T Lee of Eagle Rare Single Barrel. ER would be the same mashbill as BT, while ETL would be the higher rye. Conversely, you could drop down the chain and try Old Charter 10 or AAA 10yr (OC is the same mashbill as BT while AAA is the higher rye).

Thanks! But I don't get it... Buffalo Trace is the same mashbill as Eagle Rare and Old Charter 10? So what's the difference? Buffalo Trace is aged 7 years and the other two are aged 10 years? Why is Eagle Rare more expensive and Old Charter 10 is cheaper if they're both basically 10-year-old Buffalo Trace?

if you are experimenting to find a bourbon you like, then throw price at the window when comparing. Pricing and what you like may have nothing in common.

Most of us here on this site are not trying to find "the one" brand they drink all they time - we like variety.

I try to throw price out the window, but then I end up avoiding drinking more expensive things even though I like them. But now I don't have to worry about that so much.

I like variety. Me and my roommate have a nice little bar with a whiskey shelf I made with Wild Turkey Rye, Buffalo Trace, Maker's Mark, Bernheim, Bowmore Legend, Johnnie Walker Black, and CC 12-year. I have more stuff thrown in the cabinet, but I suppose I am trying to find "the one" in each of those categories, meaning a reasonably priced rye, regular bourbon, and wheated bourbon that I really like ... but it has to have a nice bottle :) ... which is why I have to try Sazerac Rye, since I'm not all that happy about the Rittenhouse or Wild Turkey bottles. I know, it's sad.

I guess I just don't like plastic caps. I can't convince myself that Weller is better than Maker's Mark when the bottle is so ugly.

Sorry Raquel, hard as I try, I can't feel your pain.

But in the spirit of Helpfulness, I'll suggest Very Old Barton. It's six years old and comes in 80, 86, 90 and 100 proof versions. The 90 proof vesion became available here in Oregon last year, and we really like it. It's definitely our favorite under $20 bourbon, costing $13.45 here.

I expect you can get it for under $10 where you are.

Those prices are about like Ohio, which is why I drove across the river to Party Source in Kentucky to buy alcohol most of the time.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing that alcohol is cheap in Arizona! I'm saying I have to kinda reevaluate things that I've been avoiding because of price.

I thought Barton was mostly bad stuff, but I guess that's just from seeing an ugly plastic jug of Barton Gin around the house and who was drinking it...

Thanks everybody!

kickert
02-24-2010, 10:17
Thanks! But I don't get it... Buffalo Trace is the same mashbill as Eagle Rare and Old Charter 10? So what's the difference? Buffalo Trace is aged 7 years and the other two are aged 10 years? Why is Eagle Rare more expensive and Old Charter 10 is cheaper if they're both basically 10-year-old Buffalo Trace?

You will find very quickly that age does not equal quality (nor does price). You will also find there are relatively few mashbills (recipes) coming out of most distilleries. There are many factors that go into different bottlings; age and mashbill are just two parts of the equation. BT uses 2 rye mashbills to get all their ryed bourbons:

High Rye: Ancient (Ancient) Age, Rock Hill Farms, Hancock President's Reserve, Blantons, Elmer T Lee, Virginia Gentleman.

Low Rye: Benchmark, Eagle Rare, Old Charter, Buffalo Trace and George T Stagg

CorvallisCracker
02-24-2010, 10:20

The Eagle Rare is a Single Barrel bourbon. BT would tell you that the barrels they select for that contain tastier juice than those used in the OC 10.

I doubt that there's all that much difference. My wife prefers the OC 8/80 to BT. The OC 8/80 goes for $17.45 here in Oregon; unfortunately the only liquor store I've found that carries it is in Portland, an hour and a half drive from here.

The BT "low rye" (I think about 10%) is used in:

Benchmark
Charter/Old Charter
Buffalo Trace
Eagle Rare
George T Stagg

I thought Barton was mostly bad stuff, but I guess that's just from seeing an ugly plastic jug of Barton Gin around the house and who was drinking it...

The 100 proof VOB has many fans here.

OscarV
02-24-2010, 10:32
Another one I haven't seen mentioned is WLWeller Special Reserve, it's under 20 bucks.

ErichPryde
02-24-2010, 11:24
Raquel- firstly, welcome to the site, and I'd welcome you to arizona but I just moved here myself! I'm in Tucson along with another member (spun_cookie). Where did you end up?

As for the whiskeys- a lot of them are significantly cheaper here (but if it makes you feel any better Scott, any of the "rare" and limited release things are just as much as anywhere else if not more- PVW15- 60, GTS- lowest price 70, average price 90, there are a lot of others I thought were high), and it's great!

I've read off and on that at least 50% of the final flavor of a whiskey actually comes from the aging process and barrel selection itself, NOT from the mashbill. Buffalo Trace is 9 years old, and aged in different parts of the warehouse as Eagle Rare 10 year old, or charter, &c &c. While you can tell they are in the same family, they are different tasting whiskeys.

If your "favorite" keeps changing so much, I'd recommend keeping a couple of different bottles on hand. I don't have one favorite go-to bottle and can't drink the same thing day after day.

Good luck finding something that you truly enjoy! If you find yourself in Tucson, stop by for a drink. :)

Josh
02-24-2010, 12:22

I'm one of them.:grin: It's hard to beat for the price. Heaven Hill, for example, has its name on a lot of crap products too (vodka, the gold label bourbon) but I think Elijah Craig 12 & most years of Evan Williams Single Barrel are both great whiskeys. Regular Evan Williams ain't too bad either.

Like Erik said, there's a lot to be said for barrel selection. Yes, Benchmark, Buffalo trace, Eagle Rare, Old Charter, Stagg are all the same mashbill, but that doesn't make them the same whiskey. Old Charter 10 and Eagle Rare SB have the same recipe and the same age, but they taste different.

As my man Oscar figured out, the old Eagle Rare 101 and the current George T. Stagg both come from the same area of the same warehouse in Frankfort at Buffalo Trace. That's why they taste very similar, closer than the current ERSB and GTS, even watered down. Different barrels age differently because of location in the warehouse and even the weather over the years they are in the barrel.

As for sentimentality, yes, Four Roses may seem cold and corporate and Beam may seem sentimental because they claim to have a recipe from 1795 or whatever, but the opposite is often the case. I've seen pictures of the inside of Beam's palletized warehouses, and they make Cosco look like the corner store. Not to mention the fact that that recipe is NOT from 1795!

To the point of the post that started the thread, take a look at different profiles of people around the site (there's a reccommendation section in everybody's profile) and check out fishnbowljoe's and Sijan's threads in the New to SB forum.

Anyway, welcome to the site! Post often and enjoy the journey. Drop into the chatroom sometime, and don't take anything too seriously. This stuff is supposed to be fun.

raquel
02-25-2010, 00:48
I wandered around the liquor store for awhile today. They didn't have any Very Old Barton, but stuff I was kinda interested in was:

Four Roses Small Batch $27.99
Four Roses Single Barrel $34.99
Evan Williams Single Barrel 2000 $23.99
Eagle Rare $27.99

The Eagle Rare seems like the same price I've seen it in Ohio / Kentucky, but I got that anyway since I like the Buffalo Trace so much. To me it tastes more like I just got a really good bottle of Buffalo Trace more than something that's actually different, but I suppose that's a good thing since the Buffalo Trace is my favorite -- and the bottle looks better on the shelf :)

Raquel- firstly, welcome to the site, and I'd welcome you to arizona but I just moved here myself! I'm in Tucson along with another member (spun_cookie). Where did you end up?

If your "favorite" keeps changing so much, I'd recommend keeping a couple of different bottles on hand. I don't have one favorite go-to bottle and can't drink the same thing day after day.

I'm in the east Valley ... actually Gilbert.

I keep a lot of things around, but I think there are certain categories where I can pretty easily say I like one thing better than the other. I mean, until I find something I like better, I'd rather have Eagle Rare than any other bourbon I've tasted, but as something simple and cheaper, I like Maker's Mark, and for something different I like Bernheim or Johnnie Walker.

I'm one of them.:grin: It's hard to beat for the price. Heaven Hill, for example, has its name on a lot of crap products too (vodka, the gold label bourbon) but I think Elijah Craig 12 & most years of Evan Williams Single Barrel are both great whiskeys. Regular Evan Williams ain't too bad either.

I dunno... Heaven Hill vodka is really good as a mixer which isn't something I can say about any other vodka under $10. It's on the shelf with Popov and Kamchatka and that stuff is disgusting. But I've only ever seen it in Kentucky.

kickert
02-25-2010, 06:15
I wandered around the liquor store for awhile today. They didn't have any Very Old Barton, but stuff I was kinda interested in was:

Four Roses Small Batch $27.99
Four Roses Single Barrel $34.99
Evan Williams Single Barrel 2000 $23.99
Eagle Rare $27.99

That is a pretty good price on the EWSB and if you are looking to branch out, that is a good way to go. EWSB is my favorite HH pour.

sailor22
02-25-2010, 08:13
It doesn't get a lot of love on this board but I'm a fan of the 4R small batch. Such an easy drinker with enough going on taste wise to keep you entertained, and that's a good price. They have gone up to $36 here.

Josh
02-25-2010, 09:30
It doesn't get a lot of love on this board but I'm a fan of the 4R small batch. Such an easy drinker with enough going on taste wise to keep you entertained, and that's a good price. They have gone up to $36 here.

I have recently revisited the 4R Small Batch and I liked it better than I did in the past. That is an excellent price for it, but that's also a great price for the Single Barrel. So I suggest you get them both.:grin:

bourbon-n00b
02-25-2010, 13:13

Anyone know of a mailorder source for this? Can't seem to find it anywhere, brick and mortar or online...

OscarV
02-25-2010, 13:39
Anyone know of a mailorder source for this? Can't seem to find it anywhere, brick and mortar or online...

It would help if you had your location info up with your avatar and local people could help you.

OK people, I have just got to say this.
People join this site/board and they will not post where they are from or live.
I have heard all the scary cyber space stories too, but why would you ask us questions and not let us know where to answer them?

OK, alls fine, carry on.:rolleyes:

raquel
02-25-2010, 13:52
OscarV -

Maybe he just missed that part when he signed up. I never even noticed where it asked for my location. It's not required to join. I had to go to User CP, Edit Profile, then scroll down past 3 pages of stuff including Email & Password, Date of Birth, Privacy, Home Page, ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Skype, and Biography -- all stuff that I really wouldn't want to fill out even if I did have an answer for it -- before I got to a little box that said "Where you live."

OscarV
02-25-2010, 14:07
OscarV -

Maybe he just missed that part when he signed up. I never even noticed where it asked for my location. It's not required to join. I had to go to User CP, Edit Profile, then scroll down past 3 pages of stuff including Email & Password, Date of Birth, Privacy, Home Page, ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Skype, and Biography -- all stuff that I really wouldn't want to fill out even if I did have an answer for it -- before I got to a little box that said "Where you live."

opps,...sorry.
Or as the kids say today, "my bad":puke:

bourbon-n00b
02-25-2010, 15:15
It would help if you had your location info up with your avatar and local people could help you.

OK people, I have just got to say this.
People join this site/board and they will not post where they are from or live.
I have heard all the scary cyber space stories too, but why would you ask us questions and not let us know where to answer them?

OK, alls fine, carry on.:rolleyes:

Sorry bout that, just carelessness with a touch of laziness more than anything else. I'm in Michigan, same as you.

As far as I know, only the 90 proofer is available here.

OscarV
02-25-2010, 15:45
As far as I know, only the 90 proofer is available here.

Yep only the 90prf here in the Mitten, KY has 'em.
So where in MI are you?

bourbon-n00b
02-25-2010, 16:37
Yep only the 90prf here in the Mitten, KY has 'em.
So where in MI are you?

Rochester.

So pretty much no real way, outside of a road trip, for me to buy any BIB?

fishnbowljoe
02-25-2010, 17:12
Welcome to SB Raquel. Glad to have you here. It appears that you've received some good recommendations so far. I can't argue with any of them. :rolleyes: Everybody has bourbons they like or dislike for whatever reason. Therein lies the problem. To quote whoever said it, "It's all good." :grin: You just have to figure out where your personal tastes lie. Sometimes it's easy. Sometimes it's not. For me, it took a while. Two years plus. I read, and reread a lot of posts here. I asked a lot of questions. I tried a whole lot of different bourbons. I really learned a lot thanks to all the good folks on our site. There were some bourbons that I would never have tried had it not been for recommendations given by members here. I'm glad I paid attention, because I would have missed out on some good stuff if I hadn't listened. On the flip side, I was tempted to try some, but passed because of what others had said. Probably ended up saving myself a few dollars. Who knows? :lol:

All the distilleries have something good to offer. We had a new member a while back that decided to try something from each of the distilleries. Wish I'd thought of that. Pretty good idea. For sure a good way to get a feel for what each distillery has to offer.

As far as my own personal recommendations go, I like the Weller line of bourbons from BT. Weller 12 is one of my favorites. It's a darn good value pour, as are VOB BIB, and WT 101. All good bourbons at good prices too. If you feel a little adventuresome, try one of the Van Winkle bourbons. Maybe a Lot B, or Pappy 15. They are more expensive, but well worth it IMHO.

Anyway, welcome, and I hope you like it here. Cheers and enjoy! Joe

Dramiel McHinson
02-25-2010, 17:22
This thread reminds me of the day I decided I would embark on a journey to discover Scotch which led me to bourbon which led me to wine and then I entered an endless do-loop trying them all and sticking to it.

My wife was actually kind to me. She didn't give me an ultimatum when I used the last bit of space in the house to store my collection. She just pulled me aside and told me she was worried about me. The kids were frightened the house would spontaneously combust with all that flammable liquid in the house. I tried to rationalize it by telling her we could survive in hard times with ample stock. I got the look and had to reevaluate.

I never realized I was having that much fun. Price is only a constraint to the time it takes to buy and taste what you want. There are some bottles I will never buy because the price goes far beyond my ability to taste the difference or to appreciate it so much more than another. That's my limiting factor.

If bottle art is important and the story of the distiller and the artisan craft is also important to appreciating a particular bottle then it is worth more than just the price or just the taste to the person that appreciates it.

I always like to encourage people to start slow and learn about what they like the most about a particular style. Take counsel from experts then venture out. Try it, share it, discuss it. Put it down and search out another.

I know someone that will only drink a certain beer and absolutely will not try another brand even if someone else buys it. He is too afraid he won't like it so he can't bring himself to risk disappointment. He is a sad man and will probably die before he ever has the chance to buy a Winnebago and drink his beer at the faux wood table while looking out the aluminum window with faux glass. That person doesn't visit here.

fishnbowljoe
02-25-2010, 17:55
This thread reminds me of the day I decided I would embark on a journey to discover Scotch which led me to bourbon which led me to wine and then I entered an endless do-loop trying them all and sticking to it.

My wife was actually kind to me. She didn't give me an ultimatum when I used the last bit of space in the house to store my collection. She just pulled me aside and told me she was worried about me. The kids were frightened the house would spontaneously combust with all that flammable liquid in the house. I tried to rationalize it by telling her we could survive in hard times with ample stock. I got the look and had to reevaluate.

I never realized I was having that much fun. Price is only a constraint to the time it takes to buy and taste what you want. There are some bottles I will never buy because the price goes far beyond my ability to taste the difference or to appreciate it so much more than another. That's my limiting factor.

If bottle art is important and the story of the distiller and the artisan craft is also important to appreciating a particular bottle then it is worth more than just the price or just the taste to the person that appreciates it.

I always like to encourage people to start slow and learn about what they like the most about a particular style. Take counsel from experts then venture out. Try it, share it, discuss it. Put it down and search out another.

I know someone that will only drink a certain beer and absolutely will not try another brand even if someone else buys it. He is too afraid he won't like it so he can't bring himself to risk disappointment. He is a sad man and will probably die before he ever has the chance to buy a Winnebago and drink his beer at the faux wood table while looking out the aluminum window with faux glass. That person doesn't visit here.

Wow Dan! Great post. This sounds so familiar. So far you have my vote for post of the year. :bowdown: Joe

bourbon-n00b
02-26-2010, 11:03
Rochester.

So pretty much no real way, outside of a road trip, for me to buy any BIB?

I guess, from lack of response, that this is the case? Nobody has an online source for the VOB BiB?

OscarV
02-26-2010, 11:51
I guess, from lack of response, that this is the case? Nobody has an online source for the VOB BiB?

It's a moot point, no one is allowed to ship into MI.

bourbon-n00b
02-26-2010, 12:02
Hmmm...contrary to my experience, but whatever. I guess VOB BiB ain't for me.

OscarV
02-26-2010, 12:08
Hmmm...contrary to my experience, but whatever. I guess VOB BiB ain't for me.

Oh yeah, well clue us in, who ships spirits into MI?
Alcohol infused minds want to know.:cool:

bourbon-n00b
02-26-2010, 12:12
Shoppers Vineyard, Witty's Wine, Internet Wines have shipped to me. Others may exist as well.

I really doubt this is some sort of new revelation...no?

OscarV
02-26-2010, 12:22
Shoppers Vineyard, Witty's Wine, Internet Wines have shipped to me. Others may exist as well.

For me yes, the places I've tried won't ship to MI.
But I haven't tried in a while.
I drive to KY and Chicago at least twice a year to each place and load up.

bourbon-n00b
02-26-2010, 12:26
Wow, the bourbon_n00b actually has some newish info! I am not that much of a "road warrior" so shipping in is pretty much my only hope for a lot of things not on shelves here. Just haven't found one that sells VOB BiB.

Josh
02-26-2010, 12:33

I'm glad people have shipped to you, but it's illegal for anybody to ship in or out of Michigan to or from consumers directly. This is not a store policy thing, it's state law.

bourbon-n00b
02-26-2010, 12:39
Thanks, but I'll run my own risks and deal with my own consequences if it's all the same to you.

Josh
02-26-2010, 12:41
Thanks, but I'll run my own risks and deal with my own consequences if it's all the same to you.

I'm not trying to be a jerk (although I do often succeed without trying), just trying to state some factual info.

Dramiel McHinson
02-26-2010, 15:49
Wow Dan! Great post. This sounds so familiar. So far you have my vote for post of the year. :bowdown: Joe
Thanks Joe! I guess we all have been there to some dregee or another. I suppose that's why we're here. It's like a support group for bourbon lover's.:icon_pidu:

Dramiel McHinson
02-26-2010, 15:58
I'm glad people have shipped to you, but it's illegal for anybody to ship in or out of Michigan to or from consumers directly. This is not a store policy thing, it's state law.
I suffer horribly from this type of law in Alabama. I did find out by accident that shippers that agree to ship by UPS or FEDEX and require a validated over 21 signature on delivery are allowed to ship alcohol to residents in Alabama.

It would be nice if MI has a similar exception. Otherwise, I feel your pain.:cry:

Josh
02-26-2010, 19:14
I suffer horribly from this type of law in Alabama. I did find out by accident that shippers that agree to ship by UPS or FEDEX and require a validated over 21 signature on delivery are allowed to ship alcohol to residents in Alabama.

It would be nice if MI has a similar exception. Otherwise, I feel your pain.:cry:

No, unfortunately that is not the case. No shipping period. The closest to that is legal is delivery. I have a friend who is opening a wine shop/bar in Detroit that will deliver upon request.

raquel
03-01-2010, 23:13
fishnbowljoe -

I can't find Weller 12-year anywhere. Only Weller Special Reserve and the 107-proof Antique. I've never tried the Antique, but the Special Reserve just doesn't do much for me. It starts off really sweet and smooth like the Buffalo Trace stuff does for me, but instead of having a lot of flavors hit me, it just kinda bites me and stays with me in a not-so-good way. I know it's supposed to be a better version of Maker's Mark, but I actually prefer Maker's Mark quite a bit because it's smooth and simple. People say a lot of bad things about Maker's Mark, or at least say that it's overpriced, but for what it is, I'd really like to know what is better. Especially after tasting a million things lately, it's all becoming a blur and I kinda just want to take a break and have something simple.

I like Wild Turkey 101, but it's not something I can say, "Wow, I didn't realize that was 101-proof!" And adding very much water to it messes it up for me. I'll have to see about the Van Winkle ones.

Dramiel -

Too much alcohol around the house isn't a problem. The real reason marriages fall apart is TV-related -- either the Cartoon Network or window-rattling NASCAR races or screaming at the TV and calling plays during football games. And then those guys drink and start whining or get angry at the TV and people think it's the alcohol's fault.

I like trying new things, but there's something disappointing about developing a taste for better things. I used to think a $13 bottle of Jim Beam Rye and 7-up was the best thing ever. Now I can't really stand it.

CorvallisCracker
03-02-2010, 10:23
...after tasting a million things lately, it's all becoming a blur...

Been there! :lol:

The real reason marriages fall apart is TV-related -- either the Cartoon Network...

Sponge Bob can really bring out the worst in a person.

...calling plays during football games.

Yeah, I hate it when she does that.

raquel
03-02-2010, 13:12
Sponge Bob can really bring out the worst in a person.

I think that show's kinda cute, actually. Watch a few hours of Dora and you'll be begging for Spongebob. I don't know what happened to kids' programming. I used to like Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers. Now Mr. Rogers is dead and hearing Elmo's voice all morning makes me want to kill myself. Is listening to him refer to himself in the 3rd person supposed to be educational?

CorvallisCracker
03-02-2010, 13:36
I think that show's kinda cute, actually. Watch a few hours of Dora and you'll be begging for Spongebob. I don't know what happened to kids' programming. I used to like Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers. Now Mr. Rogers is dead and hearing Elmo's voice all morning makes me want to kill myself. Is listening to him refer to himself in the 3rd person supposed to be educational?

I picked on Bob mostly because he's attained the level of cultural icon.

I'm not familiar with Dora, and from your description, don't want to be. As for SS, haven't ever really watched that anyway, as it came along too late for me and I have no children.

I am, however, a big fan of the Penguins of Madagascar on Nick. They crack me up.

smokinjoe
03-02-2010, 13:56

:lol:

How many mornings of Dora at 5AM with my daughter did I do??? It hurts to even think about it. Barney was a brain killer, too.

BTW, welcome to the site! I have the same opinion of the Weller SR as you. Just doesn't do it for me, but I adore the Weller Antique. I don't know why such a dichotomy for me on them, seeing that they're seemingly close siblings. Anywho, welcome again and please enjoy your time here.
:toast:

Dramiel McHinson
03-02-2010, 19:35
Dramiel -

Too much alcohol around the house isn't a problem....

I have wanted to hear those words for decades. Thank you! I don't watch a lot of TV. Maybe that's why my lovely wife hasn't cashed me in for the insurance money. We established the ground rules on day one. She told me there would never be a divorce only an autopsy. So far I've managed to stay in a level of sustainable forgiveness.

In all my collecting and exploring of bourbon my wife hasn't really shared my passion for a lot of variety. She likes Chivas Regal 18 year old and Crown Royal. I make sure she has all she wants. For her, she keys in on a particular taste/smell that suits her very well and her two favorites fit the bill.

Describing the key flavors and smells you like the most is also a good way to zero in on particular types of spirits that match what you like most. If the taste of whiskeys with a higher rye content in them matches your taste profile then that opens the door for a lot of different labels in a wide range of prices.

raquel
03-02-2010, 22:46
I like a lot of different flavors. I mean, I like Maker's and Crown a lot, and a lot of people think those are bad or boring or whatever, but I really appreciate their smoothness. I think it's funny that when people talk about vodka the snobs are trying their hardest to find something that tastes like nothing, but with bourbon people are trying their hardest to find something that tastes like an explosion of oak and who knows what. With a lot of stuff that people seem to think is really great I tend to get overwhelmed and almost want to rinse my mouth out. But I can pick out different flavors in bourbon or rye or scotch that I really like.

I just got some Russel's Reserve Rye, and I think I actually like it more than the Sazerac 6-year I got the other day. Rye is a kinda aggressive flavor, and it almost seems like the Sazerac is trying to do the smooth and interesting thing that I like so much with Buffalo Trace, but seems a little silly with rye. So I think the Sazerac is probably a better whiskey, but when I pick something to drink there's a reason I'm picking it, and when I think "rye" in my mind, Sazerac isn't it. It seems weird to say Sazerac is better but I'd never want to drink it, but I think any time I would have the Sazerac I'd actually rather be drinking Eagle Rare or Russel's Reserve Rye.

It's kinda like the way I feel about Chivas Regal. I really really like the stuff, but it doesn't fit anywhere. It's a super-smooth scotch that barely even tastes like scotch. If I want scotch, I'd rather have Johnnie Walker. If I want something that tastes like nothing, I'd rather have Crown.

It's an OCD problem I have with categorizing things and everything has to fit just right on my liquor shelf.

craigthom
03-03-2010, 03:36
I think that show's kinda cute, actually. Watch a few hours of Dora and you'll be begging for Spongebob. I don't know what happened to kids' programming.

I think they've done more research. Apparently young children like repetition, since they seem to do everything in Dora twice. The show have given me a joke that I used with my niece all the time: "What's the name of that monkey wearing boots?" "UNCLE CRAIG!", she says, "I already told you!", and everybody laughs.

Every time I visit them my job is to entertain the girls, so my sister-in-law can read a magazine, or take a bath, or something, and my brother can read a book. For a few blissful moments they get to do something else.

So I've seen a lot of shows, and I've seen several of the same episodes over and over.

Maggie and the Ferocious Beast at least has some surreal elements, like those jelly beans and the singing cows.

callmeox
03-03-2010, 04:00
It's an OCD problem I have with categorizing things and everything has to fit just right on my liquor shelf.

I understand where you're coming from since I have CDO. It is just like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order like they belong.

:cool: :slappin:

p_elliott
03-03-2010, 07:44
Raguel

As far as rye whiskey goes have you tried WT 101 rye in the green label? Give that a go I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Paul

ErichPryde
03-03-2010, 09:35
I just got some Russel's Reserve Rye, and I think I actually like it more than the Sazerac 6-year I got the other day. Rye is a kinda aggressive flavor, and it almost seems like the Sazerac is trying to do the smooth and interesting thing that I like so much with Buffalo Trace, but seems a little silly with rye. So I think the Sazerac is probably a better whiskey, but when I pick something to drink there's a reason I'm picking it, and when I think "rye" in my mind, Sazerac isn't it. It seems weird to say Sazerac is better but I'd never want to drink it, but I think any time I would have the Sazerac I'd actually rather be drinking Eagle Rare or Russel's Reserve Rye.

Was it a Sazerac 6, or just a Sazerac without an age statement? All of the bottles I have seen lately have dropped the age statement completely. Surprisingly, I've never been much of a fan of Saz. I have a bottle of the current NAS stuff that started off nice and has a great nose, but it just doesn't inspire me much.

As for the russel's reserve rye, That stuff isn't too bad for what it is either. It makes me sad that both of Wild Turkey's Ryes are fairly young. I'd love to taste an example of the 101 rye at 8-10 years. Perhaps I'll do a re-barreling experiment on the 101 rye!

If you want to try another entry-level rye whiskey that isn't over the top, I'd strongly recommend a current bottling of Rittenhouse bottled in bond (absolutely not the lower proof version). It isn't packed with super intense knock-you-down flavors, but I think it is a better whiskey than the saz and the turkey.

raquel
03-03-2010, 12:20
I think they've done more research. Apparently young children like repetition, since they seem to do everything in Dora twice.

Twice? They do things a lot more than twice on Dora! There's an episode I've seen four times this week where they keep talking about looking for a rock and a waterfall. It's burned into my brain. WATER-FALL! WATER-FALL! Can you find the rock? And when Dora asks a question and just pauses and looks at you and blinks a few times ... that kinda scares me.

As far as rye whiskey goes have you tried WT 101 rye in the green label? Give that a go I don't think you'll be disappointed.

If you want to try another entry-level rye whiskey that isn't over the top, I'd strongly recommend a current bottling of Rittenhouse bottled in bond (absolutely not the lower proof version). It isn't packed with super intense knock-you-down flavors, but I think it is a better whiskey than the saz and the turkey.

The one I've got is Sazerac without an age statement. Is that different from the 6-year? I also noticed they just raised the price from $23.99 to $29.99 at my liquor store!

I've got a bottle of WT 101 Rye and Rittenhouse 100. I like them both, but I don't know if they're something I want to keep on the shelf. There's a lot of things that I like a few sips of and of course I could mix with 7-up and enjoy. But if I'm going to actually have a glass of it, the WT Rye has a harshness in the middle and the Rittenhouse has a harshness towards the end that seems to build up in my mouth, and after a few sips I really start to change my mind about it and need to drink some water. I think the WT 101 Rye might be the best thing ever with 7-up (since I can no longer stand the Jim Beam Rye and 7-up that I used to like so much), but when I'm drinking the 101 Rye I'm usually thinking I'd prefer just regular WT 101. I don't know, I'll probably change my mind about it soon enough. After all, they keep making the Russel's Reserve Rye bottle look worse and worse, so I might have to switch just on principle.

Rughi
03-03-2010, 13:29
Was it a Sazerac 6, or just a Sazerac without an age statement?

I just spot checked some different Saz Jrs. from up to 4 years ago and didn't see a 6 anywhere. Was this on early labels? Where on the label would I spot it?

Roger

Rughi
03-08-2010, 11:06
Uh oh.
Looks like I posted a thread killer. Sorry.

Roger

CorvallisCracker
03-08-2010, 11:46
Uh oh.
Looks like I posted a thread killer. Sorry.

I wouldn't be concerned. Sometimes it's just Their Time, and it would be cruel to allow them to languish.

Not that I let that stop me...

ErichPryde
03-09-2010, 00:42
I just spot checked some different Saz Jrs. from up to 4 years ago and didn't see a 6 anywhere. Was this on early labels? Where on the label would I spot it?

Roger

You know, I'm not sure. I swear I had a bottle of Sazerac at one point that said "6 years" below the name- in the same white print. But I'm not sure. maybe it didn't. Maybe I'm insane.

Perhaps this WTKS that achingly reminds me of the 8 year, but just isn't as deep, is getting to me. I'm just not sure anymore.