View Full Version : frost 8/80

Paul Osman
03-02-2010, 08:55
I have a full case of Frost 8/80 ,Dry ,WHITE ,Whisky,brought out in
February 1971, discontinued December 1972.Does anyone know of any
interest in this type of whisky?

DeanSheen
03-02-2010, 09:06
I think the dry whiskeys were pretty horrible tasting failed experiments in marketing.

I'm thinking your interest is going to be minimal outside of historical.

Paul Osman
03-02-2010, 09:33
:cool: I have a case of Frost 8/80 ,a dry, WHITE ,whisky.Brown-Forman
Distillers brought it out February 1971. It was discontinued in
December 1972.Does anyone know of any interest in it ?

callmeox
03-02-2010, 09:36
Perhaps you have mistaken this forum for Craigslist or eBay?

DeanSheen
03-02-2010, 09:39
I think the dry whiskeys were pretty horrible tasting failed experiments in marketing.

Josh
03-02-2010, 09:41
Nope, it's worthless.

funknik
03-02-2010, 10:10
To make this thread slightly more palateable:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,904993-1,00.html

Thought this was interesting from an historical standpoint.

CorvallisCracker
03-02-2010, 10:16
I have a full case of Frost 8/80 ,Dry ,WHITE ,Whisky,brought out in
February 1971, discontinued December 1972.Does anyone know of any
interest in this type of whisky?

:cool: I have a case of Frost 8/80 ,a dry, WHITE ,whisky.Brown-Forman
Distillers brought it out February 1971. It was discontinued in
December 1972.Does anyone know of any interest in it ?

Deja vu all over again.

DeanSheen
03-02-2010, 10:25
Yeah, that was my poor attempt at board humor.

Josh
03-02-2010, 10:29

Thanks for the link Andy. Very interesting. Kinda sad too.

I've never had a white whiskey, but I bought something a while back by mistake (I thought it was a Corn Whiskey), something called Midnight Moon. It calls itself "shine", and it most closely resembles vodka in taste and smell but it doesn't blend very well at all. I tried making bloody marys with it and they tasted odd, like I had made it with white rum or something. Maybe they do use sugar in the process, who knows?

Anyway, I imagine this Frost garbage might be similar.

rocky480
03-02-2010, 19:39

If only I had some New Coke to mix with the white whiskey. Sounds like a perfect match.

cowdery
03-05-2010, 17:28
Obviously, the original poster isn't really engaged here but you have to laugh. I suppose in some circles, Edsel automobiles are now cool. But Frost 8/80? Never.

Frost 8/80 wasn't really Light Whiskey. It was an attempt to get a jump on the light whiskey market while the actual light whiskey products were aging. If I remember correctly, Brown-Forman bought some 8-year-old whiskey (not sure if it was bourbon or rye) in Pennsylvania and used some kind of filtration process to remove all of the color and most of the flavor.

Clear, 8-year-old whiskey bottled at 80 proof, hence the name.

Insane? It certainly seems so to us now. A flop? Probably Brown-Forman's worst boo-boo until its equally disasterous acquisition of California Cooler at the exact moment people lost interest in coolers.

I worked on the Brown-Forman business for one of their marketing agencies from 1980 until 1986 and even then, if people talked about Frost 8/80 at all it was in hushed tones. It had destroyed careers. It was a disaster.

So you found a case of the stuff. Good luck with that, fella.

Another interesting fact. About 10 years before it launched Frost 8/80, Brown-Forman discontinued a successful blended whiskey called King. At the time, Early Times was a straight bourbon and so, of course, was Old Forester. Looking at their sales growth and their resoures going forward, i.e., their aging stock, they realized one of them would have to go. They decided they would be a straight whiskey company. That worked out okay for a few years, but then the straight whiskey category started to decline.

To this day, Brown-Forman is the only large, distilled spirits company with a diversified portfolio that does not sell an American blended whiskey. They do, however, sell the #1 Canadian blended whiskey, Canadian Mist.

ErichPryde
03-05-2010, 17:56
Yeah, that was my poor attempt at board humor.

I got it, it made me laugh, and I would have quoted it if Scott hadn't done so first. :lol:

whgaunce@alltel.
03-07-2010, 09:56
I would not mind having a bottle for my BF collection. That would be the only reason.:cool:

CorvallisCracker
03-07-2010, 09:59
Brown-Forman bought some 8-year-old whiskey (not sure if it was bourbon or rye) in Pennsylvania and used some kind of filtration process to remove all of the color and most of the flavor.

Probably the same charcoal filtering that's used to produce aged white rums. Nearly all (sold as) white rums are aged at least a year, and some as long as seven. I expect the longer they're aged, the more filtering required.

Is there any point to long aging of a rum destined to be sold as white? I've done side-by-side comparisons of older Cruzan white (aged two years) to the current (one year). The new version is sharper, with a bit more burn.

It might be interesting to do a side by side of the Frost with some white dog.

cowdery
03-07-2010, 13:56
You just know you guys are going to talk yourselves into buying this stuff.

Stu
03-07-2010, 14:15
To this day, Brown-Forman is the only large, distilled spirits company with a diversified portfolio that does not sell an American blended whiskey. They do, however, sell the #1 Canadian blended whiskey, Canadian Mist.

Chuck, I thought Early Times was an American blend. What is it? Or do they make it in Canada? I defer to your expertise, but I'm confused.

As to talking themselves into buying it, I thought immediately about putting it in a small charred oak barrel and letting it turn into real whiskey.

cowdery
03-07-2010, 15:54
Chuck, I thought Early Times was an American blend. What is it? Or do they make it in Canada? I defer to your expertise, but I'm confused.

They call it 'Kentucky Whiskey' but for legal purposes, Early Times is just whiskey. It's not blended whiskey because it contains no GNS (it's all whiskey) and it's not straight whiskey because about 20% of it is aged in used barrels. Straight whiskey (except corn) has to be aged in new charred barrels only.

As to talking themselves into buying it, I thought immediately about putting it in a small charred oak barrel and letting it turn into real whiskey.

It would be more merciful just to pour it down the drain. That poor whiskey has suffered enough.

CorvallisCracker
03-07-2010, 19:03
You just know you guys are going to talk yourselves into buying this stuff.

Oh, I'm not that interested.

Besides, I can't get white dog here in OR either, so such a comparison is purely hypothetical. Kind of like observing an irresistable force meeting an immovable object. That would be interesting too.

wadewood
03-07-2010, 21:14
Man, what a find! I would love to have some of this collectible whiskey. I'll start the bidding at $250 per bottle............

Stu
03-07-2010, 21:21
Man, what a find! I would love to have some of this collectible whiskey. I'll start the bidding at $250 per bottle............

Wade,

Did you leave out a decimal point? Did you mean $2.50/bottle?

cowdery
03-07-2010, 22:47
Personally, I wouldn't pay $0.25 a bottle. But, then, I've tasted the stuff.