PDA

View Full Version : What's going to be in your glass this St. Paddy's Day?

smokinjoe
03-08-2010, 13:22
BigRich's post in the other thread got me to thinking about one of my favorite Holidays. I always buy a new bottle of Irish Whiskey for St. Patrick's Day. The last several have been Power's Gold, Kilbeggan, Tullamore Dew 12, Redbreast 12, and Knoppogue Castle 1992, and one of the Bushmill's (Don't quite remember :D). Anywho, I'm thinking on going with a Jameson's, as it's been a long while since I've had that one. I also noticed for the first time, Paddy's at my local store this past weekend. I almost picked it up, but I remember hearing not too good things about it. Anyone have any opinions on it?

So, what will you be drinking on St. Patrick's Day?

sku
03-08-2010, 13:55
I'll be drinking Green Spot pure pot still, which a friend picked up for me in Ireland....and I'll probably make an Irish Coffee as well with something more mundane.

Megawatt
03-08-2010, 16:09
I thought Paddy's was decent, if unremarkable. About on the same level as Tullamore Dew, by my recollection. It was pleasant enough, anyway.

Maybe I'll go for Redbreast 12. Our selection sucks around here. I see they've brought it Kilbeggan. Any opinions on that one?

jburlowski
03-08-2010, 16:21
Redbreast 12... for sure.

Josh
03-08-2010, 17:12
Irish Whiskey is something that I've never been able to get into. But I'm still willing to try! Looking at picking up a bottle of Redbreast tomorrow to give it another shot. So I'll be drinking that for the "wearin' o' the green", or orange in my case.:lol:

OscarV
03-08-2010, 17:15
What's going to be in my glass this St. Paddy's Day?
Coffee, diet cola or ice water,... I work in the wholesale beer business.

smokinjoe
03-08-2010, 17:22
I thought Paddy's was decent, if unremarkable. About on the same level as Tullamore Dew, by my recollection. It was pleasant enough, anyway.

Maybe I'll go for Redbreast 12. Our selection sucks around here. I see they've brought it Kilbeggan. Any opinions on that one?

Decent is OK by me. But, Murray ripped it in the last Whiskey Bible book I have. But that was the 3rd edition (2006), so I don't know if anything has changed for the better?

Aye, Lad. Regardin' the Kilbeggan, I brought it up a couple o' years ago, now. Here' what the neighborhood had to say...
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8945&highlight=kilbeggan

boss302
03-08-2010, 18:22
Decent is OK by me. But, Murray ripped it in the last Whiskey Bible book I have. But that was the 3rd edition (2006), so I don't know if anything has changed for the better?

Aye, Lad. Regardin' the Kilbeggan, I brought it up a couple o' years ago, now. Here' what the neighborhood had to say...

Murray had been ripping Jameson a new one as well, for its historically-heavy emphasis on grain whiskey and its lack of malt character.

I doubt Paddy's is much different from Tullamore DEW, Jameson, or anything else by the Irish Distiller's Group that isn't Power's.

I, myself, am hoping to score a bottle of Tyrconnell 10-year Madeira finish.

Failing that, I hope to commit sacrilege and drink a bottle of Black Bush.

ratcheer
03-08-2010, 18:53
Well, it won't be Irish whiskey.

Tim

birdman1099
03-08-2010, 19:51
Murray had been ripping Jameson a new one as well, for its historically-heavy emphasis on grain whiskey and its lack of malt character.

That is why I like Jamesons.... I prefer my Irish to be a bit less malty.

So I believe I'll be having some Jamesons 18 or some Midletons....:grin:

Gillman
03-09-2010, 00:13
Jameson 12, an excellent whiskey with a notable sweetness, good after dinner. Regular Jameson and also Powers offer great taste with a drier, lighter palate. I saw some Green Spot here recently and may pick it up.

Gary

MarkEdwards
03-09-2010, 04:08
So, what will you be drinking on St. Patrick's Day?

I've got four bottles of Midleton. I'll be pouring from one of them.

Megawatt
03-09-2010, 05:54

That's interesting: the review on the LCBO website also indicates a marked improvement in Kilbeggan. I just might pick some up.

I'm tempted by Green Spot as well but it seems awfully pricey at aorund $85 per 750ml.

TomH
03-09-2010, 09:16
Powers 12 and Connemara Cask Strength (Peated)

thanis
03-09-2010, 18:03
Nothing to exciting. Just simple bottle of Jameson and Bushmills to get a little contrast in Irish.

Then again, I have a bottle of Seagrams 7, and E&B brandy, I want to empty, to make room for better.

But to be honest, guessing cheap beer.

p_elliott
03-10-2010, 06:48
Probably some Jameson 12 yo for St Patrick's day.

PAspirit1
03-10-2010, 06:59
A Shamrock Shake with a shot of Jamison up in it. Just kiding, that's from a long forgotten comedy skit.

Dramiel McHinson
03-10-2010, 20:19
That morning I'm thinking a good Irish coffee made with Irish cream. I have an open bottle of Jameson that needs to be worked on a little. That evening a double shot of Jameson over cracked ice and a dash of melon liqueur. That will give it a nice green color. If that doesn't work out I'll try to find an American bourbon that has an Irish ancestor somewhere in the distillery's history. Adapt and overcome.

The Boozer
03-11-2010, 00:09
Clontraf Single Malt and Powers 12, if I can find it. Maybe end with Redbreast, although I am kinda on the fence about Redbreast.

Rotgut
03-11-2010, 06:27
I'm really new to the whole Irish (whiskey) thing. So far I've only tried a few Jamesons, and honestly, I thought the basic Jameson was pretty darn good stuff for the money. My wife can even drink it neat, so that's a plus. So I'll go with either that, Black Bush, which is another one I'd like to try, or Redbreast, which I saw one local place has for $38 (relatively cheap for Redbreast around here, relatively expensive for me).

Mike

Jono
03-11-2010, 11:00
Here is a list for consideration if looking to add to your Irish collection:

http://www.bluekitchen.net/irishwhiskey.html

and

http://www.forbes.com/2007/03/12/drink-whiskey-irish-forbeslife-cx_pl_0313irishwhiskey.html

Several on the list I am not familiar with...I find most Irish whiskey "ok" and like it on occasion. Blackbush is a go to for me...and Jameson's. Red Breast is good but you have to develop a taste for that pot still character.

Megawatt
03-11-2010, 11:07
I'm really new to the whole Irish (whiskey) thing. So far I've only tried a few Jamesons, and honestly, I thought the basic Jameson was pretty darn good stuff for the money. My wife can even drink it neat, so that's a plus. So I'll go with either that, Black Bush, which is another one I'd like to try, or Redbreast, which I saw one local place has for $38 (relatively cheap for Redbreast around here, relatively expensive for me).

Mike

Black Bush for sure. Awesome stuff.

AVB
03-11-2010, 21:14
It doesn't get any better than the Spot. I don't know what Mitchell & Sons does to the bulk Redbreast they buy but it sure works.

I'll be drinking Green Spot pure pot still, which a friend picked up for me in Ireland....and I'll probably make an Irish Coffee as well with something more mundane.

AVB
03-11-2010, 21:19
Take a trip down memory lane. (http://snltranscripts.jt.org/05/05hcarol.phtml)

A Shamrock Shake with a shot of Jamison up in it. Just kiding, that's from a long forgotten comedy skit.

Stu
03-12-2010, 01:26
I have 3 Irish whiskeys on hand. Connemara, Black Bush, and Kilbeggan. Kilbeggan for the Irish coffee, one of the others before supper (depending on how the mood hits me). However there is nothing wrong with Kilbeggan before supper. Not a big Jameson fan. John Powers, also from the Middleton distillery, is much better for me.

Rotgut
03-12-2010, 06:13
Here is a list for consideration if looking to add to your Irish collection:

http://www.bluekitchen.net/irishwhiskey.html

and

http://www.forbes.com/2007/03/12/drink-whiskey-irish-forbeslife-cx_pl_0313irishwhiskey.html

Several on the list I am not familiar with...I find most Irish whiskey "ok" and like it on occasion. Blackbush is a go to for me...and Jameson's. Red Breast is good but you have to develop a taste for that pot still character.

Thanks for the info.

Black Bush for sure. Awesome stuff.

It's good to know I'm on the right track.

Mike

Megawatt
03-12-2010, 16:29
How would you guys rate Connemera? The LCBO recently picked it up but it is not cheap, $65-$99 depending on the bottle. We have NAS, NAS peated, 12 year old, and cask strength versions.

Josh
03-12-2010, 18:17
The Redbreast was a bit pricey when I went to the store today, so I settled on the Black Bush. It is very good. Most Irish Whiskeys I've had have been dull and basically flavorless. This has some great malt character to it. Almost like a lowland Scotch or even some Highlands I've had. I could get used to this stuff!

CorvallisCracker
03-12-2010, 19:30
The Redbreast was a bit pricey when I went to the store today, so I settled on the Black Bush. It is very good. Most Irish Whiskeys I've had have been dull and basically flavorless. This has some great malt character to it. Almost like a lowland Scotch or even some Highlands I've had. I could get used to this stuff!

Yeah, I picked up some today as well. It's on sale this month, $18 less than Red Breast, and I'm trying to stay within budget.

I'd been expecting to drink RB, but yesterday discovered my wife had finished it off. The last time I looked at it (only a couple of weeks ago), it was one third full. :hot:

RamblinWreck007
03-13-2010, 07:30
A local store just picked up a supply of Paddy's Irish Whiskey, which I've never tried before.

What say ye all?

Megawatt
03-13-2010, 08:47
A local store just picked up a supply of Paddy's Irish Whiskey, which I've never tried before.

What say ye all?

Decent but unspectacular, by my recollection. Your typical Irish blend.

Megawatt
03-13-2010, 14:16
I decided to get a head-start and picked up some Redbreast 12. Damn, this stuff is nice. I could have sworn that my last bottle was 43% alc/vol, though. Did they lower it in the last two years?

No matter. This is a firm, crisp, malty whiskey. Very fresh and almost doughy, yet light-bodied. There is a grassy theme here which is prevalent in the finish.

Rotgut
03-15-2010, 07:13
I tried the Black Bush this weekend. Wow! I see myself always having a bottle (or two) of this on hand. I think this'll be my St. P's day choice.
Mike

ThomasH
03-15-2010, 17:01
My entire Irish whiskey supply will be open this year for the holiday. For me, its going to be Green Spot and Powers 12!

Megawatt
03-16-2010, 11:00
Looks like I'll have Wild Geese on the menu tomorrow night. Anyone tried this stuff? I had it once and it struck me as overpriced, but I'll give it another go.

cowdery
03-16-2010, 19:14
Note to all: The short form of St. Patrick is "St. Patty," not "St. Paddy." Although not often heard today used this way, "Paddy" is actually English slang for any Irishman, and it's not intended kindly.

callmeox
03-16-2010, 19:46
My understanding is that referring to Irish people with the word paddy is taken as a slur but shortening the name Patrick to Paddy is accepted with the thought that Patty is a woman's name.

Patricia -> Patty
Patrick/Padraig -> Paddy

And to the jury, I submit the following:

http://www.celticfc.net/home/players/playerInfo/pmccourt.aspx

Born in Derry, plays for Celtic, goes by Paddy. :pope:

And to stay on topic, I detest faux Irish shenanigans, so it is just another day.

DeanSheen
03-16-2010, 20:19
My entire Irish whiskey supply will be open this year for the holiday. For me, its going to be Green Spot and Powers 12!

Have you opened your Green Spot yet? I'm curious to see what you think.

Well the boss wants to leave around 2 so I can't refuse drinking on the clock. I'll just be having Tullamore and Jameson chased with Pilsner Urquel untill I have the wife come pick up my inebriated azz.

ThomasH
03-16-2010, 22:45
My Green Spot gets opened tonight. I didn't want to waste it on just any ordinary occassion!

Thomas

smokinjoe
03-17-2010, 07:45
Decided to go with a Tyrconnell Single Malt Irish for the faux shenanigans this evening. ;) I look forward to trying it.

Josh
03-17-2010, 07:46
Decided to go with a Tyrconnell Single Malt Irish for the faux shenanigans this evening. ;) I look forward to trying it.

bonneamie has a funny story about Tyrconnell, tho I doubt she remembers much of it.:slappin:

smokinjoe
03-17-2010, 08:28
bonneamie has a funny story about Tyrconnell, tho I doubt she remembers much of it.:slappin:

Sounds like Amy was a bad girl. :D

Josh
03-17-2010, 09:07
Sounds like Amy was a bad girl. :D

Let's just say when the evening began, I told her, "Be careful, that Irish Whiskey is really smooth. It sneaks up on you." She did not heed my advice.:drinking:

ShewDawg
03-17-2010, 13:20
Going to try some Bushmills 10 Year Old Single Malt. Have not had too much Irish Whiskey in the past, but figured I might as well be festive for the occasion.

Megawatt
03-17-2010, 15:06
Going to try some Bushmills 10 Year Old Single Malt. Have not had too much Irish Whiskey in the past, but figured I might as well be festive for the occasion.

Bushmill's 10 is nice, if a tad subtle.

Slob
03-17-2010, 15:21
NyQuil. Sicker than a dog right now.

nblair
03-17-2010, 15:34
Has anyone ever had Clontarf? BTI has it listed as their 'Best Buy' (http://www.tastings.com/scout_spirits.lasso?id=184736). I'd like to get a decent bottle of Irish Whiskey at a good price.

furious
03-17-2010, 15:59
NyQuil. Sicker than a dog right now.

Same boat here. Think I will break down and have a wee bit of Redbreast tonite before the hot toddy.

Jono
03-17-2010, 16:39
Clontarf Reserve is a lighter style Irish whiskey...pleasant drinker.

http://www.clontarfwhiskey.com/rule2/

http://www.tastings.com/scout_spirits.lasso?id=178142

Funny, their website does not list the Reserve...just the blend and classic single malt.

Res/st-or
03-17-2010, 18:25
I love Irish Whiskey.... Have a few on hand. Redbreast, Middleton, Jamison Special Reserve, and my drink for tonight, Knappogue Single Malt... Very pleasant 80 proofer with I think, a very pleasing buttery finish. Might crack open a Murphys Irish stout later hoping I might grow some hair on my chest too.

bonneamie
03-17-2010, 19:22

As a matter of fact, I DO remember. I don't drink that stuff any more because I remember!!
So tonight I'm drinking good old all-American bourbon. Anyway, I have no Irish heritage.

loose proton
03-17-2010, 20:09
well, I planned all week to go Irish to support my brethren, but ended up like Amy and going American, OGD 114.

Megawatt
03-18-2010, 05:56
Had a great tasting last night. Wild Geese went down well, light in flavour and colour with nice citrus notes. Very clean and smooth for an NAS blend. Black Bush was predictably good, rich and earthy with good malt presence. Redbreast 12 came across full and buttery with well-integrated flavours of fruit and wood, great from the aroma to the finish. After Redbreast, Jameson 12 was a bit harsh at first. But it had the biggest sherry note out of them all, and the flavour reminded me fleetingly of a'bunadh in that way.

Best of all might have been Bushmills 10. Beautifully clean malt aroma and flavour, creamy body, a light sherry note, and balanced oak and fruit.

Washed it all down with Kilkenney (sp?). Feeling a little ugly this early in the morning. :puke:

unclebunk
03-18-2010, 07:05
Murphy's Stout (by the gallon) and several steep pours of The Irishman, along with a nightcap of Jameson 12 that I didn't need.

smokinjoe
03-18-2010, 07:10
Murphy's Stout (by the gallon) and several steep pours of The Irishman, along with a nightcap of Jameson 12 that I didn't need.

Well done!! :D I saw The Irishman at the store, and almost got it. I had never heard of it before. How was it?

Gillman
03-18-2010, 08:42
Best Irish whiskey in decades IMO, at a really good price. A blend of single malt and pure pot still, very well done. Not to be missed.

Gary

OscarV
03-18-2010, 15:28
As a matter of fact, I DO remember. I don't drink that stuff any more because I remember!!
So tonight I'm drinking good old all-American bourbon. Anyway, I have no Irish heritage.

Don't let them hassle you Amy, Tyrconnel is the best of Ireland.

Special Reserve
03-20-2010, 18:31
I bought a bottle of Tyrconnell several years ago. About the only time I drink it is on 3-17. I think it is a nice drinkable whiskey. Perhaps too drinkable for some.