PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from SE PA

RallyJon
03-09-2010, 20:44
Hello all, allow me to introduce myself.

I've been enjoying Bourbon for years. Started with Makers Mark, then moved through the various standards--Blantons, Booker Noe, etc--before settling on Knob Creek as a "daily drinker".

I always figured that Bourbon was pretty corporate, with no small independent producers, so I just bought what I could find locally. Knob Creek is good, so I was happy.

My father lives in Bardstown and occasionally sends me bottles for my birthday. Sent me a pappy something once, which tasted like wood chips.

But for Xmas last year, he sent me a bottle of Willett Family Estate Single Barrel 18y.o. 118.4 proof. Wow is this something special. The first Bourbon I've ever has that was in a class with serious Armagnac, Cognac and Scotch. So I'm here for research--to learn what's what and to hopefully understand how to find more Bourbons that are like that!

p_elliott
03-10-2010, 08:51
Welsome Rallyjon

That's all it takes is for for one grab your attention then your hooked. Just read and read and maybe your find what your looking for. Willitt's is from KBD they buy bourbon from all the different distilleries and bottle it under their name so you don't know what you may have gotten. Someone here may have the inside scoop I don't know. There is a ton of info here do some reading you'll find some bourbons you'll like as much or more. DGanno is our Willit's expert he maybe able to help you out.

Paul

Inthewater
03-10-2010, 09:37
Must have been a bottle of that "Pappy Van Stankle" I was reading about in a thread a few days back.

Something like that, anyway.

:cool:

SMOWK
03-10-2010, 10:01
Must have been a bottle of that "Pappy Van Stankle" I was reading about in a thread a few days back.

Something like that, anyway.

:cool:

I believe it was Pippy Von Schtankle. It still comes to mind when I reach for the bottle.