PDA

View Full Version : Possible price hike for OGD 114 fans?

edo
03-11-2010, 20:34
I dunno, but at one of the online shops where I buy, OGD 114 in the old bottle that we all know and love costs about $22 (at the current exchange rate). Also at the same shop, OGD 114 in a new bottle costs about $33. :skep: Both are in stock now.

Nice bottle ....:rolleyes:

oh, and you get a box:banghead:

Is this a taste of the future?

DeanSheen
03-12-2010, 07:36
I like the bottle re-design. It definitely stands out more than the old design.

Josh
03-12-2010, 07:41
I like the bottle re-design. It definitely stands out more than the old design.

Isn't that just the old bottle design?

loose proton
03-12-2010, 08:27
bottle maybe the same, but different label than what's on our shelves

Josh
03-12-2010, 10:03
bottle maybe the same, but different label than what's on our shelves

I meant the old-school ND design and label that I've seen in better bunkers than mine. It looks very similar to that one.

Rughi
03-12-2010, 11:50
I meant the old-school ND design and label that I've seen in better bunkers than mine. It looks very similar to that one.

Yep, I believe Beam deleted the ND medal strap with their first redesign. I even suspect if the photo is of the short-lived 500ml version. The proportions look just a bit different. I'll see if I can photograph some different version together.

Roger

funknik
03-12-2010, 11:54
oh, and you get a box:banghead:
I agree with Josh, that this looks like Old School OGD 114 -- AND the stuff I buy currently comes in a box as well, but I get it for $17.99.

loose proton
03-12-2010, 18:50
$17.99?!?!?!?! Ack!!!! I pay $24.

Josh
03-12-2010, 19:03
$17.99?!?!?!?! Ack!!!! I pay $24.

I know, it makes you sick doesn't it?:slappin:

cowdery
03-12-2010, 20:26
Edo,

Did you find this on an online store based there in Japan? In the UK? Where?

Something that may be going on with OGD or any brand outside the U.S. is usually not an indicator of what is or will be going on inside the U.S. That looks like the old packaging, which Beam simplified. I can't imagine why they'd go back to it.

On the other hand, since Beam has recently given Old Crow some love, they may very well make some changes to the OGD line next. There, though, the emphasis would seem to be on Basil Hayden. Considering that it costs more than OGD 114 and has a lot more water in it, I'm pretty sure they'd rather use the whiskey in BH than sell more of it at 114, even with a slight price increase.

loose proton
03-13-2010, 16:29
pardon for going off topic. I just put about a third Goldschlager to two thirds OGD 114. Not bad. Tastey. I'll do it again for something different, but 114 neat is still better.

edo
03-13-2010, 19:49
Edo,

Did you find this on an online store based there in Japan? In the UK? Where?

Something that may be going on with OGD or any brand outside the U.S. is usually not an indicator of what is or will be going on inside the U.S. That looks like the old packaging, which Beam simplified. I can't imagine why they'd go back to it.

On the other hand, since Beam has recently given Old Crow some love, they may very well make some changes to the OGD line next. There, though, the emphasis would seem to be on Basil Hayden. Considering that it costs more than OGD 114 and has a lot more water in it, I'm pretty sure they'd rather use the whiskey in BH than sell more of it at 114, even with a slight price increase.

All of the online shops I buy from are based in Japan and are under the Rakuten umbrella, but their prices vary widely.

Here's what a search in Japanese for OGD 114 will turn up from shops associated with Rakuten.

http://search.rakuten.co.jp/search/mall?v=2&uwd=1&s=1&sitem=%E3%82%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AB%E3%83%89+%E3%82% B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%80%E3%83%83%E3%83%89+11 4&st=A&nitem=&min=&max=&p=0

Most of the options have photos, and all have a price. I count 11 with the familiar Beam label average price 2400 ($26.50) and 10 with the fancy ribbon label -average price 3670 ($40.75). Some stores, at least, are selling both labels at different prices.

I'd really like to know if the juice is the same, or just what's up? Will the new expensive label soon replace the old label and become my only choice? Should I stock up on the old label now?

Rughi
03-13-2010, 23:47
Here's what a search in Japanese for OGD 114 will turn up from shops associated with Rakuten.

http://search.rakuten.co.jp/search/mall?v=2&uwd=1&s=1&sitem=%E3%82%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AB%E3%83%89+%E3%82% B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%80%E3%83%83%E3%83%89+11 4&st=A&nitem=&min=&max=&p=0

Most of the options have photos, and all have a price. I count 11 with the familiar Beam label average price ¥2400 ($26.50) and 10 with the fancy ribbon label -average price ¥3670 ($40.75). Some stores, at least, are selling both labels at different prices.

I'd really like to know if the juice is the same, or just what's up? Will the new expensive label soon replace the old label and become my only choice? Should I stock up on the old label now?

Are any of these "new" or are they current, older and older yet? This post (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=102530&postcount=51) (and the following #57 and #58 posts) shows and discusses three different eras and styles of bottles.

Roger

edo
03-14-2010, 04:46
Are any of these "new" or are they current, older and older yet? This post (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=102530&postcount=51) (and the following #57 and #58 posts) shows and discusses three different eras and styles of bottles.

Roger

I think in your pic they are (from left to right) 'older yet', 'older', and 'current'. The 'current' bottle is the only one sold here until recently (I do remember seeing one of the earlier versions in a hands-on shop a few years ago). The 'new' retro label is slightly different than the 'older yet' label. The new retro neck ring says "114" as opposed to "114 barrel strength" Also, I think the medallion is smaller.

It would be impossible for so many dusties to suddenly appear in so many online shops at the same time. I didn't notice the new retro label until quite recently. I tried to find differences in the way the shops were pitching the "current" and the "new retro". The only thing I found is one said the "new retro" was 3 years old. That may have been an error. (Once I ordered a really cheap bottle of PVW 20 y.o. only to receive a bottle of normally priced VWFRR -couldn't complain.) Otherwise the two available OGD 114 product descriptions, meager as they are, are identical -except the product order numbers.

jburlowski
03-14-2010, 06:49
It's interesting that OGD is barely acknowledged on the beam Global website. No picture of the bottle (unlike Reg Gag and Effen vodka, for example)... just a simple mention under the bourbon brands.