PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Columbus

paris1129
03-16-2010, 18:57
Hello! I have been lurking for a month or two, and I finally decided to write my first post! I am a 28 yr old accountant in Columbus, Ohio. I really got into bourbon about 3-4 years ago when my in-laws moved to Louisville. Whenever we go down to visit, we always end up visiting a few distilleries. Initially, it was just something to do on our trips, but learning so much about bourbon from these visits has really fostered my initial curiosity into a full-fledged hobby! I probably now have way too many bottles, but my wife is an enabler (and also a bourbon enthusiast), so its hard to resist the temptation!!
In my short time reading these forums, I have already developed a great appreciation for the wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm that is available here for this passion of mine. I look forward to posting more frequently, and hopefully perhaps even share a drink or two with some of you one day!

Matthew

callmeox
03-16-2010, 19:02
Welcome to my Buckeye State brethren.

In your Kentucky in-laws, you have one of two things needed for a bourbonista to survive in Ahia (a connection in bourbonland).

The other would be a residence in the Cinci area with easy access across the river. :cool:

The other NEO SB'ers know what I'm talking about.

paris1129
03-16-2010, 19:08
Welcome to my Buckeye State brethren.

In your Kentucky in-laws, you have one of two things needed for a bourbonista to survive in Ahia (a connection in bourbonland).

The other would be a residence in the Cinci area with easy access across the river. :cool:

The other NEO SB'ers know what I'm talking about.

As far as in-laws go, they are pretty great folks! They often bring up a bottle or two upon request when they come to visit, so I can't complain!

callmeox
03-16-2010, 19:10
So what are some of the brands and bottlings that you have taken a shine to?

paris1129
03-16-2010, 19:15
So what are some of the brands and bottlings that you have taken a shine to?

I bought a bottle of Parker's Golden Anniversary to celebrate my best friend taking the bar exam as well as my finishing the CPA Exam. Well, he took the bar, I still have one part of the CPA exam left, but we cracked it open anyway! This was one fantastic bourbon!

I have also been on a Blanton's kick recently. I am also a huge fan of the Woodford Reserve Seasoned Oak finish. Elijah Craig 18 yr is also one of my favorites. Right now as I type (I'm supposed to be studying for my exam, not posting here!), I am enjoying some Old Rip Van Winkle 10 yr / 107 proof. I have several other bottles, but these are the ones I keep coming back to!

CorvallisCracker
03-16-2010, 19:21
(Okay, I promised Joe I'd make more of an effort to be gentle on the newbies. Here goes)

Hello!

Hi Matthew! :grin:

I have been lurking for a month or two, and I finally decided to write my first post!

That's great! :grin:

these visits has really fostered my initial curiosity into a full-fledged hobby!

Definitely better than stamp collecting! :grin:

I probably now have way too many bottles, but my wife is an enabler (and also a bourbon enthusiast), so its hard to resist the temptation!!

Don't!! :grin:

hopefully perhaps even share a drink or two with some of you one day!

Find your way out to Oregon and we'll make it three! Do my taxes too and we'll make it Pappy 20! :lol:

(How was that, Joe?)

The face on the avatar looks familiar...I believe I shot that man about 30 years ago...

ErichPryde
03-16-2010, 21:08
Sometimes I worry about you, Scott.

ErichPryde
03-16-2010, 21:10
...and welcome to the site, Matthew! I hope you enjoy the ride. there's plenty to try and plenty of us to try it with!

His avatar looks a bit like a guy I saved from a bullet wound 30 years ago.... strange.

Josh
03-17-2010, 04:28
Sometimes I worry about you, Scott.

Which one?!

Oh, and welcome Matthew.:grin:

paris1129
03-17-2010, 07:28
(The face on the avatar looks familiar...I believe I shot that man about 30 years ago...

Ha! I can already tell that I will definetly appreciate your sense of humor! :grin:

fishnbowljoe
03-17-2010, 20:23
Welcome to SB Matthew. Hope you like it here. You have a lot of company over in Ohio. We have some good members over there.

(Okay, I promised Joe I'd make more of an effort to be gentle on the newbies. Here goes)

(How was that, Joe?)

I see Scott welcomed you with open arms. :skep: Be careful not to turn your back on him. He'll take your drink. :slappin:

Just a sample of what it's like here. Many of us are serious about bourbon, but we like to have some fun too. It's all good. Cheers! Joe

CorvallisCracker
03-17-2010, 21:42
Which one?!

The other one, I think.

I see Scott welcomed you with open arms. :skep: Be careful not to turn your back on him. He'll take your drink. :slappin:

Yes, I'm sure of it now. The other one.

ErichPryde
03-18-2010, 07:30
The other one, I think.

Yes, I'm sure of it now. The other one.

I just wanted to let you know that I bought rabbit a bottle of Pippy Von Shnackle and we shared it with giraffe. They're both in agreement, it was the other scott everyone was talking about.

Josh
03-18-2010, 08:01
I just wanted to let you know that I bought rabbit a bottle of Pippy Von Shnackle and we shared it with giraffe. They're both in agreement, it was the other scott everyone was talking about.

That's a tea party I can get behind.

"Another pour of Stagg, bunny?"

ratcheer
03-18-2010, 14:47
Welcome to SB.com, Matthew!

Tim

paris1129
03-18-2010, 17:49
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I look forward to spending more time here!