PDA

View Full Version : What bourbon did you purchase today? Spring 2010

Pages : [1] 2

hectic1
03-20-2010, 09:19
I haven't been to the store yet today but I do plan on going...thinking that I'll either pick up a OFBB 2008 or a OGD 114.

It's fitting that it's snowing in Chicago right now...welcome spring! :grin:

bigtoys
03-20-2010, 09:39
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/ORvWset800.jpg
I hit the Gazebo Thursday night for the first time in months and there was talk of this special release. I think it was TomH who was going to Binnys south loop to pick some up Friday. Turned out to be an expensive session. I'd seen it at Binny's Highland Park, but wasn't sure. I called my friend Dave Friday morning (luckily it was still there) and put it on hold. Picked it up last night. Hopefully I'll open it today--no reason to wait. Someone mentioned vanilla on the nose over in the Special Bottlings forum and that's something I like about Pappy 20.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/ORvWbottle2800.jpg

fishnbowljoe
03-20-2010, 10:36
Nice pick up Ken! Stop in the gazebo more often. We'll help you spend some more money. :grin: Joe

jburlowski
03-20-2010, 10:43
Went to the Party Source yesterday and didn't purchase anything.

I think I need to call some friends to talk me through this.

CaptainQ
03-20-2010, 11:07

:bigeyes: how is that possible?!

rocky480
03-20-2010, 13:08
Since the weather's improved here, it's been a busy couple of days.

I picked up my 3 bottles of Lot B yesterday, and today I followed that up with a PVW 15 and a bottle of ORVW 10/107.

The pours of Lot B were thoroughly enjoyed last night!

fishnbowljoe
03-20-2010, 20:06

John? John! Speak to me. Are you there? OMG! I think we lost him.:frown: Joe

Hawg73
03-21-2010, 08:34
Bought 3 bottles of EWSB 2000 and a bottle of WLWSR.

The Boozer
03-21-2010, 11:17
To celebrate getting a check that I didn't think I was ever going to get. Better yet from a lawyer. Went out and found a bottle of Stagg 09.

independant
03-21-2010, 12:37
AA 10 Star. It may not be 10yr but for a 90proof BT product at 12.50 Its a good deal.

matthew0715
03-21-2010, 18:12
It's not bourbon, but yesterday I picked up High West Rendezvous Rye (Batch 30, bottle 241, if it matters). With a 95 MA rating, and priced at $36, it was practically screaming, "take me home." I have some WTRR rye to compare it with when I get to opening it.

As for bourbon, a few days ago, I walked into a supermarket liquor store I had not been in for several years. I don't remember it having a great selection then and it's a little out of my way, but anyway here I was. A quick glance at the top shelf in the bourbon section and the velvet bags immediately caught my eye. That's Pappy Van Winkle 20 and 23! And next to that, nearly the whole lineup: PVW15, VWFRR13, Lot B, ORWV10/107. I usually don't see Van Winkle here in New Jersey, and the prices are currently beyond my means, but it was nice to finally them all proudly on display. After looking through the rest of their selection, I took one more drooling glance at the top shelf. This time actually looking at the prices: PVW23 $205, PWV20 $95, PWV15 $50, VWFRR13 $55, Lot B (12yo) $48, ORWV10/107 $35. All arranged in age order.

Wait a minute, something seemed wrong there. The 15 was only $2 more than the 12? I'm sure I paid $50 for Lot B last year in PA for my b-day present to myself. Yes, I'm pretty sure the 15 should be $60-70/bottle. So naturally I couldn't let the opportunity pass and I grabbed the PVW15, so I can give it a nice home. I might wait a while until I open it. However, I do have an unopened Vintage Bourbon 17 Years Old just staring at me, daring me to compare. We'll see.

Matt

JamesW
03-21-2010, 19:13
... a few days ago, I walked into a supermarket liquor store I had not been in for several years....A quick glance at the top shelf in the bourbon section and the velvet bags immediately caught my eye. That's Pappy Van Winkle 20 and 23! And next to that, nearly the whole lineup: PVW15, VWFRR13, Lot B, ORWV10/107.

Grab that VWFRR13! You may not get another chance at that outstanding rye.

Josh
03-21-2010, 19:22
It's not bourbon, but yesterday I picked up High West Rendezvous Rye (Batch 30, bottle 241, if it matters). With a 95 MA rating, and priced at $36, it was practically screaming, "take me home." I have some WTRR rye to compare it with when I get to opening it.

Matt

I have a bit of non-buyers remorse myself regarding the Rendezvous Rye. I had wanted to get some of that or the 16 y/o Rye from High West this weekend, but I got enough of a look when I got home that I probably made the right decision. I am having similar feelings about the

Anyway, I found this little hole-in-the-wall liquor store at the South Loop in Chicago this weekend and picked up a few things:

1 Four Roses BS Binny's OBSK
1 Elijah Craig 18 SB, Binny's select
1 Baby Saz, Binny's Select
1 Virginia Lightning

For the last one, I was mocked by a certain employee at this store. I countered that it is the finest unaged corn whiskey on the market. The mocking continued. I countered that it was micro-distilling at its finest!

It's so hard to find good help these days :lol:

TomH
03-22-2010, 10:05
1 Virginia Lightning

For the last one, I was mocked by a certain employee at this store. I countered that it is the finest unaged corn whiskey on the market. The mocking continued. I countered that it was micro-distilling at its finest!

Not to defend a certain non-named employee, but I don't understand how you could pick an unaged corn whiskey over and unaged spirit that screamed "MANGO" (I think it was a wheat spirit, but can't remember for sure).

Tom

hectic1
03-22-2010, 13:56
Thanks to Tom I was able to save a 2008 WLW from collecting more dust on my way through Indy this afternoon. I also picked up another bottle of FR Yellow to give to my manhatten drinking friends! :) Now I'm off to save a couple FR Mariages from the same fait in Louisville. :cool:

hectic1
03-22-2010, 20:51
Ok...so I saved a bit more from Louisville...

4 2009 FR Mariage
2 Willett 6yr Emerald/Reid bottling
1 Weller 12 SW
1 BT Cream Liquor

I hope I don't get stopped on my way back to Chicago! :D

Josh
03-22-2010, 21:08

4 2009 FR Mariage
1 Weller 12 SW
1 BT Cream Liquor

Nice haul! I'm mad jealous.

Not to defend a certain non-named employee, but I don't understand how you could pick an unaged corn whiskey over and unaged spirit that screamed "MANGO" (I think it was a wheat spirit, but can't remember for sure).

Tom

Yeah, it was the Koval wheat. The rye had that same weird tropical fruit nose and taste. It was interesting but not interesting enough to lay down some dollar bills. I do regret not picking up a bottle of the millet or oat spirit, tho. *sigh* I guess I'll just have to go back to Binny's...

I know and already love the Virginia Lightning, so it was an easy choice. It's technically available in Michigan but it is very hard to find. Still it's one of my favorite late spring/summer pours. Really great stuff.

spun_cookie
03-22-2010, 22:04

4 2009 FR Mariage
1 Weller 12 SW
1 BT Cream Liquor

You have a remarkable taste in whiskey :rolleyes:

tigerlam92
03-23-2010, 23:49
Since I really like the WLW now, I just purchased two bottle of WLW 2007 (117.9 proof). Some said this may be one of the best. I have enjoyed the WLW09 tremendously so can't wait to get the 2007.

The Boozer
03-24-2010, 05:32
In the store and there is 1 bottle of Stagg on the shelf. I grap them it for this the last of the Stagg the owner will get this year. Great, 1 more GTS 09' for the bunker. A couple days later I am looking at the bottle and it says proof: 140.6. I look at a couple of the other GTS that I have and they all say 141.4. So I look it up and the latest purchase is a 2006 vintage. Thinking, what the hell, MI can barely get any BTAC, now there is old stuff mixed in with new releases.

More to the point, what's everybody's opinion on the 06' v 09'? Better yet, what are the preferences for the past 5 years, say 05 thru 09?

The Boozer
03-24-2010, 05:41
I have a bit of non-buyers remorse myself regarding the Rendezvous Rye. I had wanted to get some of that or the 16 y/o Rye from High West this weekend, but I got enough of a look when I got home that I probably made the right decision. I am having similar feelings about the

Anyway, I found this little hole-in-the-wall liquor store at the South Loop in Chicago this weekend and picked up a few things:

1 Four Roses BS Binny's OBSK
1 Elijah Craig 18 SB, Binny's select
1 Baby Saz, Binny's Select
1 Virginia Lightning

A trip to Chi-town and you didn't give me a heads-up?
Amy & I need a mule. :grin:

Josh
03-24-2010, 05:46
A trip to Chi-town and you didn't give me a heads-up?
Amy & I need a mule. :grin:

Sorry about that. It was in the Spring Break thread. Next time I'll name it something less goofy like "I'm going to Chicago". I will give you a heads up next time, though my man! Meanwhile, lemme know and you can sample whatever you like.

Hawg73
03-24-2010, 05:56
Bought another bottle of Jefferson's Presidential Select and 2 bottles of Rittenhouse Rye 100.

jburlowski
03-24-2010, 14:59
Picked up a WT Tradition for a fellow SBer.

nblair
03-24-2010, 21:46
Got my first bottle of WT101 since I really started ENJOYING bourbon. I should of picked one up earlier, this stuff is damn good.

The Boozer
03-25-2010, 09:00
Sorry about that. It was in the Spring Break thread. Next time I'll name it something less goofy like "I'm going to Chicago". I will give you a heads up next time, though my man! Meanwhile, lemme know and you can sample whatever you like.

Ditto - sounds like a party. I'll break out the VWFR Rye. How's the OBSK?

sailor22
03-25-2010, 17:00
The delivery man left a package on my porch today. 4R SB OBSK Barrel Strength - Ledgers Barrel pick. Wooo HOoo This is turning out to be one of my favorite pours so far this year.
And thanks to the kind SBer who sent it!

hectic1
03-26-2010, 09:04
After 2 weeks of hunting in multiple states I finally got every thing home or shipped in today: From Left to Right

4 09 Four Roses Mariage (One Signed my Jimmy Rutledge)
1 SW Weller 12 from the last day of production
2 Emerald/Reid 6 year Green Wax Willett
1 2008 WLW 125.3
2 1.75L 1999 OWA
1 Buffalo Trace Cream Liquor
1 WTRR 101
1 Four Roses Barrel Strength Bourbon's Bistro OESK
1 Four Roses Single Barrel Beverage Warehouse Gift Set
1 WTKS Pewter Top 5/24/99

sailor22
03-26-2010, 09:11
4 09 Four Roses Mariage (One Signed my Jimmy Rutledge)
1 SW Weller 12 from the last day of production
2 Emerald/Reid 6 year Green Wax Willett
1 2008 WLW 125.3
2 1.75L 1999 OWA
1 Buffalo Trace Cream Liquor
1 WTRR 101
1 Four Roses Barrel Strength Bourbon's Bistro OESK
1 WTKS Pewter Top 5/24/99

SWEEETT! That is a great line up of purchases.

fishnbowljoe
03-26-2010, 15:13
Got a bottle of.............................. what else? Weller 12 yesterday. :rolleyes: Joe

OscarV
03-26-2010, 15:19

Is this the Christmas Gift Box from last December?
If so it is a very good barrel that this 1B came from.
Is it Warehouse No DS? Barrel No 43-6G?
I got a few of those last December in KY, there great!

tigerlam92
03-26-2010, 18:50
Delivery man sent me yesterday two bottles of WLW08 from a great fellow SBer ;), thanks!!

BBQ+Bourbon
03-27-2010, 13:53
Found some dusties in my travels this week. The OGD may be fairly recent, but it's an odd bottle and I thought it worth $27.

http://i43.tinypic.com/4ujn2x.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/zvbwvq.jpg

hectic1
03-27-2010, 15:19
Nice work Matt...

I'm jealous to say the least! :)

Rughi
03-27-2010, 15:59
The delivery man left a package on my porch today. 4R SB OBSK Barrel Strength - Ledgers Barrel pick. Wooo HOoo This is turning out to be one of my favorite pours so far this year.
And thanks to the kind SBer who sent it!

:grin: :grin: :grin:
I wonder if those lazy East Bay Study Group guys are going to get off their bums and pick another one for Ledger's anytime soon?

Roger

Joshua
03-27-2010, 17:50
Holy crap Matt... I thought you couldn't find squat in KC area!?

BBQ+Bourbon
03-27-2010, 18:10
Holy crap Matt... I thought you couldn't find squat in KC area!?
I drive for a living and stumbled upon a little honey pot:grin:

dustyj
03-27-2010, 19:54
Yesterday it was 2 ER 101 and 2 Weller centennials. Today it was 2 Fighting cock's the 8 year. Can't wait till tomorrow.

sailor22
03-27-2010, 19:59
The friendly delivery man brought me a bottle of Canada Dry Straight Bourbon Whiskey. Judging by the tax strip it was bottled in '51. Says it's a four year old Bourbon.

I bought it because it said "Stitzel Weller's Canada Dry Bourbon" real big across the top. I thought it might be something SW made for a year or two and it just didn't get much attention. But, the small writing on the bottom says "Distilled for and bottled by Stitzel-Weller". So it was made somewhere else and there is no other info on the label. So now I'm guessing a well brand SW marketed.

Also says "The sour mash Bourbon in this bottle was made in the famous old Kentucky distilling country"

Anyone know anything about this bottle?

BBQ+Bourbon
03-27-2010, 22:45
The friendly delivery man brought me a bottle of Canada Dry Straight Bourbon Whiskey. Judging by the tax strip it was bottled in '51. Says it's a four year old Bourbon.

I bought it because it said "Stitzel Weller's Canada Dry Bourbon" real big across the top. I thought it might be something SW made for a year or two and it just didn't get much attention. But, the small writing on the bottom says "Distilled for and bottled by Stitzel-Weller". So it was made somewhere else and there is no other info on the label. So now I'm guessing a well brand SW marketed.

Also says "The sour mash Bourbon in this bottle was made in the famous old Kentucky distilling country"

Chuck made a post about this one a few days ago, I think. Seems that it's not highly regarded if I recall correctly.

p_elliott
03-28-2010, 01:47

Steve I think you got took on this one, sorry to say.

sailor22
03-28-2010, 08:01
Yeah - I did a long search and found out what it is. Well, we can call it a learning experience, right up there with the '70s case of Old Charter 7 yr I bought. A spoonful of WTKS has more character and taste than that whole case did. Taught me about anise finish though.

If all you drank was good whiskey how would you know how good they really were?

Josh
03-29-2010, 14:01
I picked up a couple birds today. 2 WTRB 97s, plus I left one on the shelf and one in the back room.

Also had to pass up a couple IW Harper 15s and a Harper, bicentennial edition.

tigerlam92
03-29-2010, 22:41
Got three WLW07 at 117.9 proof. This is supposedly one of the better year. whoohooo!!

Now I have bunkered a reasonable amount of the WLW and Stag for myself.

Cheers
Hugh

spun_cookie
03-29-2010, 22:58
Got three WLW07 at 117.9 proof. This is supposedly one of the better year. whoohooo!!

Now I have bunkered a reasonable amount of the WLW and Stag for myself.

Cheers
Hugh

Yep, one of the best yrs right with the 05, 06, 08 and 09s :D

They are all great.

tigerlam92
03-30-2010, 00:01
Yep, one of the best yrs right with the 05, 06, 08 and 09s :D

They are all great.

hahaha. I hope so. That's why I collected 07, 08, and 09 now. I have only tried 09 so far. Can't wait to try next the 08 then the 07 - going potentially from good, to better, then for some the best.

Stones
03-30-2010, 17:18
Yeah - I did a long search and found out what it is. Well, we can call it a learning experience, right up there with the '70s case of Old Charter 7 yr I bought. A spoonful of WTKS has more character and taste than that whole case did. Taught me about anise finish though.

If all you drank was good whiskey how would you know how good they really were?

Reminds me of when i first started buying higher shelf bourbons and i came across an 'Old Stagg' from 1970s thinking it was a vintage version of the current BTAC Stagg. Was chuffed with my purchase until i did some post research on this site and learnt a valuable lesson... :grin:

hectic1
04-02-2010, 17:21
This week I picked up a couple more bottles for the stash!

1 WTRB
1 09 WLW
1 05 OFBB
1 08 OFBB
1 Faux Tax Strip OFBIB
1 Smooth Brown Top WTKS
1 Binny's Weller 12
1 BT

It was a good week! :)

BBQ+Bourbon
04-02-2010, 17:37
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! So glad the site is back up!

Scored a few this week. Yes, that is white paint on the OGD.

http://i41.tinypic.com/10og21z.jpg

Hawg73
04-02-2010, 18:03
Based on hectic's recommendation I picked up a bottle of WTRB today and am enjoying a pour now. Thanks Bob.

OscarV
04-02-2010, 18:13
I wasn't looking for one but I stumbled across it in a store that I am hardly ever in today.
The much controversial Elijah Craig 12yo, a good one from last year, wish y'all were here, you'd love it.

Halifax
04-02-2010, 18:41
(4) Blanton's SB
(1) 1792
(4) OC 8

p_elliott
04-03-2010, 01:16
2 Wt 101 at $19 a piece, a Blanton's SB, and a Bushmills Black Bush.

ErichPryde
04-03-2010, 04:59
nice haul, Matt! I didn't get anything today that was worth mentioning and it's good to see that someone did.

IowaJeff
04-03-2010, 10:13
2 Wt 101 at $19 a piece, a Blanton's SB, and a Bushmills Black Bush.

I had a couple of bushmills black bush's at a bar recently and really enjoyed it. And I'm not much of an irish whiskey drinker.

Me, I just took home a couple of bottles of PVW 15. I had a coupon, so with tax and everything the total cost was $50/bottle, which is great here in IA. [Yes, I have coupons for liquor stores, no I do not keep them in a little organized coupon purse ;)]. They had WT 101 for 15.99/bottle and I had a notion to buy as much as they'd sell me, but I restrained myself and walked away with just the PVW. sigh.

p_elliott
04-04-2010, 02:16
I had a couple of bushmills black bush's at a bar recently and really enjoyed it. And I'm not much of an irish whiskey drinker.

Me, I just took home a couple of bottles of PVW 15. I had a coupon, so with tax and everything the total cost was $50/bottle, which is great here in IA. [Yes, I have coupons for liquor stores, no I do not keep them in a little organized coupon purse ;)]. They had WT 101 for 15.99/bottle and I had a notion to buy as much as they'd sell me, but I restrained myself and walked away with just the PVW. sigh.

I would have bought all the WT 101 they would have sold me at that price.

IowaJeff
04-04-2010, 08:13
I would have bought all the WT 101 they would have sold me at that price.

I was tempted. Last week they had WT RB at Costco for 29.99 and I had a similar temptation.

callmeox
04-04-2010, 20:37
I took possession of a 1991 Frankfort (DSP-14) Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond in a nifty gifty looking gold box. The cap and green "bottled in bond" strip are still intact.

The bottle was tucked in the back of the bottom shelf of the dry bar at my mother-in-laws place. The early 80's Beam decanter that she gave me for Christmas a couple years ago was on a shelf in the same area of the house.

I think she has a bourbon time portal in the attic. :grin:

ErichPryde
04-05-2010, 02:22
I took possession of a 1991 Frankfort (DSP-14) Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond in a nifty gifty looking gold box. The cap and green "bottled in bond" strip are still intact.

The bottle was tucked in the back of the bottom shelf of the dry bar at my mother-in-laws place. The early 80's Beam decanter that she gave me for Christmas a couple years ago was on a shelf in the same area of the house.

I think she has a bourbon time portal in the attic. :grin:

Fun stuff. ND OGD BIB is fast becoming a favorite here.

p_elliott
04-05-2010, 08:45
I was tempted. Last week they had WT RB at Costco for 29.99 and I had a similar temptation.
That's a great price for WTRB as well I would have bought up several of them as well.

nor02lei
04-06-2010, 01:42
This month parcel from Thomas Kruger came yesterday and did contain a slim bottle of ETL and 2 bottles of WT101 from 1985. The Lee bottle has an excellent plastic screw cap and takes up minimum space in the whiskey cabinet. Why did they change it to a chubby bottle with a stupid natural cork?

Leif

hectic1
04-06-2010, 13:21
I saved the last two WTRB's W-T-01-99 bottles from spending another night lonely on the middle shelf at Twin Liquors...I can't figure why they were still there especially considering their asking price of $28.99 a bottle. Oh well, I'll buy them all day for that price. :cool:

ErichPryde
04-06-2010, 13:26
This month parcel from Thomas Kruger came yesterday and did contain a slim bottle of ETL and 2 bottles of WT101 from 1985. The Lee bottle has an excellent plastic screw cap and takes up minimum space in the whiskey cabinet. Why did they change it to a chubby bottle with a stupid natural cork?

Leif

is that a black glass 107, or the first run of the clear glass single barrel 90? And, I think they wanted a more premium-looking bottle, the Butt-Ugly-Bottle looks more like something you'd store olive oil in.

nblair
04-06-2010, 14:04
2 OCPR Louisville bottlings with the "sloped shoulder"

OscarV
04-06-2010, 14:28

Good goin', that is one fine bottle of whiskey!

nor02lei
04-06-2010, 15:35
is that a black glass 107, or the first run of the clear glass single barrel 90? And, I think they wanted a more premium-looking bottle, the Butt-Ugly-Bottle looks more like something you'd store olive oil in.

It is the SB 90 Erik. I am all for practical bottles and I donít like the wooden boxes for exclusive brands ether. In the beer thread Dales pale ale in a can was mentioned recently. That is my kind off stuff. Good content in practicul packaging.

Leif

nblair
04-06-2010, 15:40

I was pretty pumped up. It was really the first time I went out looking for dusties. They were only $26.99 and I left a bottle of the Frankfort OCPR on the shelf. I'm on vacation in PCB and probably should have been on the beach instead, but it was worth it.

hectic1
04-06-2010, 16:35
I was pretty pumped up. It was really the first time I went out looking for dusties. They were only $26.99 and I left a bottle of the Frankfort OCPR on the shelf. I'm on vacation in PCB and probably should have been on the beach instead, but it was worth it. I was going to say that I bet you didn't find those in Louisville...Florida has yielded a couple Louisville OCPR's to me in the past. Nice score...let us know how you like them! :)

ErichPryde
04-06-2010, 18:57

The sloped shoulder bottle (SS, gestapo, L'ville, &c) is the absolute cream (literally) of the crop when it comes to the OCPRs. The frankfort bottlings are good- but it's like all the weller cents... after it went from Louisville, it just was not the same. I get a lot of melted butter out of the SS bottle.

docbible
04-06-2010, 21:22
Picked up 2 bottles of pappy 20 and a parkers aniv while visiting my parents for Easter. tim

cas
04-07-2010, 07:11
I began the college campus tour with my older daughter this week, which has meant a pass through the Chicago suburbs and a trip to Madison, WI. Woodmans in Madison had the OF Repeal set for $10.99 so I picked up 3 of those as well as a bottle of 4 Roses for $21. Binnys in Downers Grove still had some Stagg on the shelves as well as Eagle Rare and Handy. But I passed on those for a couple bottles of "lot B" at about $45 and a couple bottle of Rittenhouse rye. And I picked up some New Glarus Spotted Cow in WI (and some cheese curds). Not a spectacular haul, but not too bad either. And, oh yeah, my daughter has made UW Madison her top choice for colleges to attend. All I need now is lots of extra money...
Craig

jburlowski
04-07-2010, 14:55
UW-Madison... great school and my alma mater. Go ahead, mention my name when you're there. The statute of limitations has long passed. :cool:

cas
04-07-2010, 15:54
There isn't an honorary chair on the terrace for you commemorating the number of pitchers of beer you drank is there?
Craig

fishnbowljoe
04-07-2010, 22:52
There isn't an honorary chair on the terrace for you commemorating the number of pitchers of beer you drank is there?
Craig

Craig, Now that's funny. I don't care who you are. :slappin:

I believe that somewhere, on some old abandoned Army post, there is a chair like that, that has my name on it. Ahhhh, the good old days. Beer, whiskey, tequila, whatever. Didn't matter. We were young, our sh** didn't stink, we were on top of the word and full of piss and vinegar. :grin: Cheers. Joe

Josh
04-08-2010, 12:13

I was pretty pumped up. It was really the first time I went out looking for dusties. They were only $26.99 and I left a bottle of the Frankfort OCPR on the shelf. I'm on vacation in PCB and probably should have been on the beach instead, but it was worth it.

OK, so I'm behind the curve on this, but you did indeed find one fine bottle of whiskey there, Monsier Blair. I'm not a huge fan of the Louisville Charters in general, but the slope shoulder is a great whiskey. I think it does a perfect job of balancing the butterscotch with wood and caramel and burn. It's the high-corn equivalent of the Weller Centennial. Which it pretty much was.:grin:

And on the price, the last one I found in MI was about $50. You done good.

dean_martin
04-08-2010, 12:22
I was going to say that I bet you didn't find those in Louisville...Florida has yielded a couple Louisville OCPR's to me in the past. Nice score...let us know how you like them! :)

About a year ago I picked up a couple in FL too.

nblair
04-08-2010, 15:18
It's the high-corn equivalent of the Weller Centennial.

You aren't lying about the high-corn. I looked it up in The Book of Bourbon and the mashbill is 86% Corn, 6% Corn, 8% Barley, the same as IW Harper. I've never had a bourbon with so little flavor grain (I don't think I have anyways...). I'm opening one of these as soon as I get home.

Thanks for reinforcing my purchases guys. At first I was a little disappointed I didn't find more dusties after looking all day, but I guess it's tough to find old bottles even when you're not in Kentucky.

jburlowski
04-08-2010, 17:06
Craig

No, but I believe there is a spot on the floor near the bar at Jingles (Near Camp Randall stadium) that has my imprint. :drink:

mcer
04-09-2010, 10:50
Based on comments on this and other sites I purchased Charter 101 and Old Rip Van Winkle.

Impressions to follow.

Rene'

craigthom
04-10-2010, 15:59
I went to Loretto today and, surprisingly, came home with this.

sgtgto
04-10-2010, 19:39
I stopped at about 80 stores in Illinois and a few in Indiana and MI... not a single dusty.. but I got a 09 GTS, 08 WLW, Jameson 18, VWFRR, and 4 Pappy 15s.

This got added to 2 09 Handy, 2 08 Handy, 2 09 WLW, 2 09 Saz18, 1 Pappy 15, and 4 Binny's weller 12s.

I managed to get 5 home this trip. Hope to get the rest later this month.

CaptainQ
04-10-2010, 21:31
Nice haul Jake.:toast:

hectic1
04-11-2010, 09:55
Picked up a Pappy 15 and an ELT 90th yesterday...:)

Drunkonjack
04-11-2010, 20:44
I picked up some Bad Ass stuff this weekend with the help of Hectic1

......Sampled quite a bit to

Virus_Of_Life
04-12-2010, 15:07
Couldn't pass up a 2009 W Larue for $58+ today, just don't see them that cheap too often!

Drunkonjack
04-12-2010, 19:01
Picked up a dusty Elmer T Lee
Four Roses Single Barrel OESK & OESO
And a Super Rare Elijah Graig Single Barrel 18 year

Thats right.......... I Scored !

Virus_Of_Life
04-12-2010, 22:30
I haven't yet, but am likely going to buy some EC 18 year, Shoppers V has it on sale for $38 a bottle and that seems pretty good. I've never had it (I know hard to believe) so for that price I think I should!

ggilbertva
04-13-2010, 08:38
Couldn't pass up a 2009 W Larue for $58+ today, just don't see them that cheap too often!

Nice find and a great price! I wish I could find them that cheap around here....sucks to pay $75.

CaptainQ
04-13-2010, 11:39
Nice find and a great price! I wish I could find them that cheap around here....sucks to pay $75.

At least you CAN find them....

Vosgar
04-13-2010, 20:15
Picked up another 09 Stagg this evening and also a couple of Weller products for a certain moderator who shall remain nameless.

Gary

fishnbowljoe
04-13-2010, 20:32
Picked up another 09 Stagg this evening and also a couple of Weller products for a certain moderator who shall remain nameless.

Gary

:skep: :skep: :skep: :skep: :skep: :skep: :skep: :skep: :slappin: Joe

BBQ+Bourbon
04-15-2010, 20:46
The bourbon fairy made a couple of appearances this week and BOY was she kind to me!

Thanks bourbon fairy!

http://i40.tinypic.com/a9ws4l.jpg

spun_cookie
04-15-2010, 21:44
The bourbon fairy made a couple of appearances this week and BOY was she kind to me!

Thanks bourbon fairy!

Nice load Matt... That Willett looks good.

ErichPryde
04-15-2010, 22:03

So does everything else there! Especially the WTKS. I can't wait to open mine except that I AM waiting...

BBQ+Bourbon
04-15-2010, 22:49
I can tell you this; that seal is living on borrowed time.:woohoo:

hectic1
04-16-2010, 04:40
Some of those bottles look extremely familiar...:) Enjoy them Matt...that's a great haul!

sailor22
04-16-2010, 09:23
That's almost Bourbon Porn, nice!

Hawg73
04-16-2010, 09:28
2 bottles of FR Mariage 2009 and a bottle of RHF.

hectic1
04-16-2010, 13:31
2007 BTAC Handy for $53.99...I couldn't resist! :D

OscarV
04-16-2010, 16:46
2007 BTAC Handy for $53.99...I couldn't resist! :D

yeah, who could at that price, was the store trying to dump it?

tommyboy38
04-16-2010, 16:53
Pappy 15 and the Double barrelled BTEC.

hectic1
04-16-2010, 16:57
yeah, who could at that price, was the store trying to dump it? No Oscar...I've since come to find out that it is actually a 08 as it's a 127.5 proof bottling. Binny's had one on their shelf at the $59.99 price that the 2007's were...then I got 10% off that will my malt advocate discount. So I basically got an extra $5 off as the 2008's are $64.99 with 10% off. :D

wadewood
04-16-2010, 17:34
a case of ETL Gold Wax.

hectic1
04-16-2010, 17:53
a case of ETL Gold Wax.
Hillarious Wade...I see that you probably got them to cut you an even better deal then before. :D Nice score!

bourbon-n00b
04-16-2010, 21:49
Had to pick the girlfriend up from work, which sent me right past a new-to-me liquor store. Of course, checking it out was more important than speeding right over to her...and I was rewarded with some mild dusties:

1 2004 OFBB
3 WTKS pewter tops

Had to pay a couple bucks each above state minimum but I doubt I'd be finding these at min any time soon.

nor02lei
04-17-2010, 02:01
Pappy 15 .

I have been looking a long time for that one here Tommy. It seems completely sold out and the ORVW 10/107 is also real hard to find. The last pappy 15 that I tasted was the best ever, so it is a real pity.

Leif

Res/st-or
04-17-2010, 06:44
Picked up a FRSB barrel strength last night. Will crack it open soon.

hectic1
04-17-2010, 07:41
Picked up a FRSB barrel strength last night. Will crack it open soon.
Which receipe did you get?

p_elliott
04-17-2010, 16:26
Well I finally found a couple Liquor stores in Omaha one with the help the help of salesman that was selling me a GPS and noticed my BT t-shirt. Thanks Adam in return I told him about our site so he may be joining us. Anyway here's what I bought today. A Lot B, PHC 50 Anv., VG, OGD 114, Ritt BIB, and a Stranahan CO Whiskey. The first store I went to was on the pricey side, the second store that Adam sent me to was more than reasonable with some good bargains.

fishnbowljoe
04-17-2010, 20:30
Anyway here's what I bought today. A Lot B, PHC 50 Anv., VG, OGD 114, Ritt BIB, and a Stranahan CO Whiskey.

Geez Paul! :bigeyes: Did you get you tax refund back already or what? :slappin: Really nice haul. You done good. Joe

Res/st-or
04-17-2010, 22:59
Which receipe did you get?

Its the 2009 S5 warehouse barrel 43-3G #550. Very good. Has a kick for sure.
Recipe OESQ

jburlowski
04-18-2010, 05:10
Spotted a lonely ORVW 10/107 on the top shelf. Adopted it for the bunker.

bourbon-n00b
04-18-2010, 14:15
While out and about, I took the opportunity to pop into a liquor store along the way. Wasn't really planning on making a purchase but I spotted a bottle of 09 Handy on the shelf. :cool:

Looked closer and saw an $89.99 price on it :rolleyes:

On my way to the door, the old guy behind the counter asked me if I needed any help. I said that I was thinking about the Handy but not for $90. He didn't seem like he knew what it was or anything so I went back, got it off the shelf and brought it up.

He checked the price book, where it was $65.99. He acted confused about why it was priced like that. Claimed that $89.99 must have been state minimum at one point (I really doubt that) and had been reduced by the state, but not by the store.

Not sure if it was an honest error, if they were just hoping someone would just buy it no questions asked, or what. But I don't really care about the backstory on the price, since he was willing to sell at minimum, no sense at leaving it behind....

SingleBarrel
04-18-2010, 15:50
OK folks, I've searched everywhere I can think of today, with no luck, as I return from The Bourbon Trail with something new that I just couldn't let go by. At HH, they are selling a limited edition (75) "set" of Old Heaven Hill, barrel proof (137.4). There are 2 bottles in each set, and one bottle has the number on it. This is for the HH 75th Anniversary. The set also includes a blown glass "decanter" that looks like a barrel turned on its side, with a "tap", two HH shot glasses and a commemorative wooden stand. I got set #23. Anyone know anything about this bourbon or this set? I haven't touched it - yet!

jfw
04-18-2010, 23:11
So, my wife is out of town and I happened to notice that the Montgomery county LCB stores had EW Single Barrel on sale for $17.99. I've been waiting for it to go on sale since it's a personal favorite of mine... You can't beat the price. The regular price is 21.69 which is still cheap for MD. (The sale runs through Tuesday if you are in the area).

I spent some time wandering various stores and snagged some 98, 99 and 00. I stopped at around 15 bottles because I started to feel guilty. I grabbed a bottle of 1792 also on sale (I wasn't feeling that guilty apparently).

While I was out driving around I decided hit a few stores in other counties and snagged a couple of OF Birthday (2 '06 and 1 '03). I also found a couple of AA dusties and a few (is 5 a few?) of EW SB 96. I was over my guild by then and back on a buying spree.

I blame the wife. She knows I need adult supervison :).

Caveat: I have no relationship to Montgomery County nor do I own it. For those of you out of the area, we have one county in MD that has regulated liquor stores. I have no idea why but when you get that close to DC things just get a little "different."

p_elliott
04-19-2010, 07:55
[quote=SingleBarrel;203444]OK folks, I've searched everywhere I can think of today, with no luck, as I return from The Bourbon Trail with something new that I just couldn't let go by. At HH, they are selling a limited edition (75) "set" of Old Heaven Hill, barrel proof (137.4). There are 2 bottles in each set, and one bottle has the number on it. This is for the HH 75th Anniversary. The set also includes a blown glass "decanter" that looks like a barrel turned on its side, with a "tap", two HH shot glasses and a commemorative wooden stand. I got set #23. Anyone know anything about this bourbon or this set? I haven't touched it - yet![/quot

Can you take a picture?

Hawg73
04-19-2010, 15:51
Picked up a bottle of WTRB and Corner Creek reserve bourbon whiskey.

bourbon-n00b
04-19-2010, 19:34
In my continued attempt to snag the few dusties still left in metro Detroit, I picked up a Wild Turkey Rare Breed W-T-01-99. Not sure if I can expect a noticable difference from the current bottling, but it'll be worthwhile to find out...

Skunk
04-19-2010, 20:42
Relieved the only local source of their last two bottles of Heaven Hill BiB. If (as Joe says) it's all good, why pay more than $9.99/bottle?

SingleBarrel
04-20-2010, 14:43
Can you take a picture?[/quote]

It's 7 1/2 year, barrel proof (134.7). The inscription on the decanter stand has dates "1934 - 2009".

OscarV
04-20-2010, 14:57
Dave, nice score. What did that set cost if you don't mind me asking.

whskylvr
04-20-2010, 15:12
Anyone near Bardstown willing to pick up one of those HH decanter 75th Anniversary packages for me? I'll make it worth your while. PM me.

p_elliott
04-21-2010, 09:58
Can you take a picture?

It's 7 1/2 year, barrel proof (134.7). The inscription on the decanter stand has dates "1934 - 2009".[/quote]

Yeah that was not what I was picturing in my head that's kinda neat, thanks for posting a picture.

SingleBarrel
04-21-2010, 12:04
Dave, nice score. What did that set cost if you don't mind me asking.

I was asked about the cost of the 75th Anniversary package from HH, previously pictured. It was definitely an impulse buy, and extraordinarily high for me, but the package with two 750 ml bottles of barrel proof (134.7) 7 1/2 year old whiskey, the glass decanter with working tap, wooden stand and two shot glasses was $300. I believe they stated at the time (4/16/10) that they had three or four more sets on hand at the Heritage Center. It's a limited edition of 75 sets, and as I recall, they had #14 on display (wouldn't let me have that one), at least one in the back (maybe #51), and a couple on the shelf (#'s in the 20's).

OscarV
04-21-2010, 12:18
Sounds good to me Dave, I have spent more for less so like I said before, nice score.

hectic1
04-21-2010, 17:23
2 FR Mariage 09
1 Kahn's RHF
1 FR 2009 LE
1 Smooth Brown Top WTKS 9/29/03

JamesW
04-21-2010, 19:30
3 x Lot B
1 x PVW 15

nblair
04-21-2010, 19:38
2 FR Mariage 09
1 Kahn's RHF
1 FR 2009 LE
1 Smooth Brown Top WTKS 9/29/03

Well done Bob. I'm pretty sure when I get to heaven, your bunker is going to be next to the gates.

funknik
04-23-2010, 07:44
I know it doesn't get much love on the site, but my local grocery was closing out 1792 Ridgemont for $17 . . . I bought the last three they had. With the new baby, I have to be thrifty (I'm not supposed to be buying whiskey at all, per my wife) and I DO like me some 1792 . . . especially when it's $12 less than usual price. Stock for a later time.

Pieface
04-23-2010, 08:28
Sharp buying Andy.

James that is a fine haul too!

smokinjoe
04-23-2010, 09:51
I know it doesn't get much love on the site, but my local grocery was closing out 1792 Ridgemont for $17 . . . I bought the last three they had. With the new baby, I have to be thrifty (I'm not supposed to be buying whiskey at all, per my wife) and I DO like me some 1792 . . . especially when it's $12 less than usual price. Stock for a later time.

1792 is a terrific bourbon. I'll give it a wholelottalove! At $17 I'd do the same as you Andy, and buy them all. Nice job.

rocky480
04-23-2010, 12:41
Nothing too exciting, but it's the first time I've found it in the DC area, so I picked up a bottle of Old Fitzgerald BIB. Lots of Old Fitz around, but so far this is the first place I've seen the BIB.

theDon
04-23-2010, 22:35

I would give it love all day long for that price. No less than $25 here, but still worth it in my opinion.

hectic1
04-24-2010, 16:54
Stopped at a couple local places today and picked up a couple bottles:

OGD 114
Binny's Weller 12
Binny's EC 18 barreled on 4/3/91 #2920
Binny's Buffalo Trace 2010
1.75 of Sailor Jerry for my rum drinking buddies! ;)

Drunkonjack
04-24-2010, 17:47
Stopped at a couple local places today and picked up a couple bottles:

OGD 114
Binny's Weller 12
Binny's EC 18 barreled on 4/3/91 #2920
Binny's Buffalo Trace 2010
1.75 of Sailor Jerry for my rum drinking buddies! ;)

lad you found that Binneys EC 18......I felt bad when I bought there last bottle

SSBourbon1
04-24-2010, 19:28
Whoo hooo...my birthday gift finally showed up....I ordered 3 bottles from The Party Place (yes they do deliver to certain states)
A single Barrel bottling of AAA 10 year
A single barrel bottling of Charter 101
A single barrel bottling of Willet's at 8 years

I think that I have gone to heaven....

DeanSheen
04-26-2010, 09:06
My recent trip to the Holy Land yielded:

4 BT Cream Liquor
2 OWA Nas
2 The Fox in boxes (VG)
3 Willett 4yr (Liquor World selection)
1 4Roses Barrel Proof OESK (Party Source)
2 VWFRR
1 Old Rip Van Winkle 15yr old (squat bottle, 02 in glass)

I could have easily went over budget, but decided to stick to the plan and be happy with what I got. There is always September!

p_elliott
04-26-2010, 09:31

4 BT Cream Liquor
2 OWA Nas
2 The Fox in boxes (VG)
2 VWFRR

I could have easily went over budget, but decided to stick to the plan and be happy with what I got. There is always September!

Nice haul and I see you were the one that caught Scott (callmeox) napping. I hope you rubbed it in. :cool:

DeanSheen
04-26-2010, 09:55
We had a laugh or two about it.

The sad thing is we don't get any dusties up here in Ohio so we were both quite taken aback by the discovery. Seeing things in the wild is a rare treat for us control stater's.

callmeox
04-26-2010, 10:17
I was at a distinct height disadvantage in that store as the bottle was on the top shelf. It was an eye high discovery for Rob.

I need to take a stepstool on future dusty hunts.

We had a laugh or two about it.

The sad thing is we don't get any dusties up here in Ohio so we were both quite taken aback by the discovery. Seeing things in the wild is a rare treat for us control stater's.

p_elliott
04-26-2010, 10:24
I was at a distinct height disadvantage in that store as the bottle was on the top shelf. It was an eye high discovery for Rob.

I need to take a stepstool on future dusty hunts.

That's your story and your sticking to it? :rolleyes:

mcer
04-26-2010, 13:42
Got 2 bottles of EW 1783 and 1 bottle of Tom Sims 6yr.

I am going over today for 3 bottles of Weller 12yr.

Rene'

Enabler
04-26-2010, 15:30
Woodford Reserve 1838 Sweet Mash. A special occasion.

Josh
04-26-2010, 15:40
I picked up a few things in Kentucky. In addition to some handles of everyday favorite pours, and some stuff that was so cheap I couldn't pass up, I acquired the following:

AAA 10 y/o Party Source Select
Old Fitz BiB 1 ltr (DSP 16)
Rittenhouse BiB
Very Special Old Fitz (current)
2 Virginia Gentleman “The Fox”
Willet 13, Party Source Barrel #3665
WTRR 101
Old Charter "The Classic"
4R 100th Anniversary SBBS

I love Kentucky! :grin:

camduncan
04-26-2010, 18:00
Yesterday I picked up a bottle of Bulleit. It's over a year since I last visited this bottle, so thought it time to revisit.

fishnbowljoe
04-26-2010, 20:44
I went to the Sampler this past weekend with the intentions of just picking up a couple of specific things. I was looking for a couple of bottles of Willetts. I accomplished my mission, thanks to Dave Gonano, and JT at Liquor World. But, I just couldn't help myself. I ended picking up a few more goodies for my stash. :skep:

Pic #1

Four Roses Single Barrel Gift set, thanks to Tommyboy
Willett-Gonano bottling, 5 years old, 121.8 proof
Willett-Liquor World bottling, 4 years old, 120.4 proof
Pappy 15
JW Dant BIB, 1991?, DSP 2

Pic #2

2008 Four Roses Mariage'
Old Bardstown 101 Proof
ETL 90th Birthday bottle
VSOF (current)

I probably would have passed on the VSOF if not for Gary Gillman opening up his bottle and letting me have a small taste. Thanks Gary, and also to Guthrie for the tip.

I also bought a bottle of HH BIB. I just forgot to put it out to take the pic. :rolleyes: This should probably hold me a while. Yeah, I say that every time. :slappin: Cheers! Joe

bourbon-n00b
04-26-2010, 20:56
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120559156740&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

Not much of a fan of Beam White and haven't tried any other Beam-labeled products. This has got to be loads better and at a price (even with the shipping that costs more than the item) it's a little cheaper than state minimum current-day JBB. The fact that it's about the butt-ugliest decanter I've ever seen only adds to the value.

Haven't had the greatest luck with decanters but I think another roll of the dice was in order.

nblair
04-26-2010, 21:20
I picked up a few things in Kentucky. In addition to some handles of everyday favorite pours, and some stuff that was so cheap I couldn't pass up, I acquired the following:

AAA 10 y/o Party Source Select
Old Fitz BiB 1 ltr (DSP 16)
Rittenhouse BiB
Very Special Old Fitz (current)
2 Virginia Gentleman “The Fox”
Willet 13, Party Source Barrel #3665
WTRR 101
Old Charter "The Classic"
4R 100th Anniversary SBBS

I love Kentucky! :grin:

I really need to learn from you guys. You come to KY for a weekend and find some great stuff. I live here and can't find anything that good. WTRR 101, Classic 90, Scott & Dean found some ORVW15. Incredible. :bowdown:

tigerlam92
04-26-2010, 21:31
2 VWFRR

Great find, especially the ORVW15. I would be smiling a week if I find that one.

How much was it going for?

cheers
--Hugh

DeanSheen
04-26-2010, 22:22
Great find, especially the ORVW15. I would be smiling a week if I find that one.

How much was it going for?

cheers
--Hugh

$39.99 + .05 tax = $41.98

It's definitely one for the books.

I can't wait to see what the locust pull out of Houston.

tigerlam92
04-27-2010, 01:30
$39.99 + .05 tax = $41.98

It's definitely one for the books.

I can't wait to see what the locust pull out of Houston.

Hahaha. I thought so. That's just great!!! That's my favorite and I would pay three times that.

Cheers
--Hugh

Josh
04-27-2010, 05:56
I really need to learn from you guys. You come to KY for a weekend and find some great stuff. I live here and can't find anything that good. WTRR 101, Classic 90, Scott & Dean found some ORVW15. Incredible. :bowdown:

Well, the WTRR 101 and the Classic 90 were both acquired via trade from someone not in Kentucky. That Old Rip 15 has me reeling tho. We deliberately chose not to dusty hunt since we thought it would be a waste of time. There's us told!:bigeyes:

OscarV
04-27-2010, 12:11
Got me a Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit 2001 Pewter Top.
Just flew in.

bourbon-n00b
04-27-2010, 12:19
Early Times 150th. Some for personal use and extras for possible trade bait. Shoot me a PM if you might be interested in cutting a deal.

NOBourbon
04-27-2010, 14:47
This past weekend I bought an ORVW 10 yo 107 for $40, a 1792 Ridgemont Reserve for $20 and a Bulliet Frontier for $17. A very nice haul for the money.

CaptainQ
04-27-2010, 17:32
Something old and something older:

http://i43.tinypic.com/vo5opd.jpg

JamesW
04-27-2010, 19:28

4 BT Cream Liquor
2 OWA Nas
2 The Fox in boxes (VG)
2 VWFRR

Finding those VWFRR's and the ORVW 15 is like hitting the numbers.

CaptainQ: That's a mighty fine haul yourself. Cheers to you too!

BBQ+Bourbon
04-27-2010, 20:14
Grabbed a High West Rendezvous and a couple yellow 4 Roses on sale at $13.50 yesterday.

nor02lei
04-28-2010, 00:05
Something old and something older:

http://i43.tinypic.com/vo5opd.jpg

A Fitzgerald from the 50-is. Were did you find that beauty Dave?

Leif

tigerlam92
04-28-2010, 19:57
I'm now a very proud owner of a Very Very Old Fitzgerald. Just picked it up from a nice person in Pleasanton who was selling it for his friend. His friend got it from his uncle's estates where it was kept all this year. I'm totally ecstatic on acquiring this. I am hoping I will be able to get a bottle of VOF as well and that I will be popping open to try before trying this one. I'm just a SW fanatic.

I also bought 3 bottles of the Four Roses 100th Anniversary 17 years.

Cheers
--Hugh

OscarV
04-28-2010, 20:56
I also bought 3 bottles of the Four Roses 100th Anniversary 17 years.

--Hugh

You bought them in Cali?
They ain't even here in the Mid West yet.

tigerlam92
04-28-2010, 21:03
You bought them in Cali?
They ain't even here in the Mid West yet.

:) not in Cali, but I found a source for a very good price. I was actually planning not to bunker this at all if I had to pay $80-100.

CaptainQ
04-29-2010, 10:07
A Fitzgerald from the 50-is. Were did you find that beauty Dave?

Leif

Hi Leif, The Fitz was acquired from eBay. I've always wanted one and now I have one to celebrate my 50th birthday, in 2017:grin:

hectic1
04-29-2010, 12:27
While on lunch today I decided to stop in at a liquor store near my corporate office to see if they had anything interesting...to my surprise they had my desert island bourbon on the shelf. I bought a bunch and left a bottle or two behind. :)

WsmataU
04-29-2010, 15:20
:bigeyes: Wow Hectic that must've put a dent in the "Bourbon stash." I bought 2 Lot B and passed on a PVW 20. I may end up going back this weekend.:grin:

hectic1
04-29-2010, 16:25
:bigeyes: Wow Hectic that must've put a dent in the "Bourbon stash." I bought 2 Lot B and passed on a PVW 20. I may end up going back this weekend.:grin: It really came down to the fact that I could get 6 bottles of Pappy 15 or 1 bottle of ORVW 23 and I decided that I would rather have the former...I might regret it in a couple years when the ORVW 23's aren't available but oh well...I'll drown my sorrows away with pours of Pappy 15. ;)

jburlowski
04-30-2010, 10:07
Went out to get the new FRSB 100th Anniversary... which I did. Along the way I also got a couple ORVW 10/107s, a THH, and a Distillers Masterpiece (Cognac-finish).

Man, my horse better come in for the Derby!

hectic1
04-30-2010, 12:09
Binny's was clearing out their 2006 OFBB's for $29.99...I bought the last 2 in the store. Man I need to stay away from liquor stores for a while...it's been an expensive couple weeks. :)

Megawatt
04-30-2010, 16:37
Finally, a new bourbon: Eagle Rare 10 year old single barrel. Having my first glass right now. Not bad, but there is a perfumed sweetness strangely reminiscent of baby powder throwing me off a bit. Sweet and spicy with a strong note of fresh-cut cedar.

WsmataU
04-30-2010, 17:17
Out of fear on Derby weekend, I went back and picked up that lonely PVW20. Then when I went to dinner I stopped in the ABC that I had nearly given up on. I had ordered bottles of WLW when it was available and got a lot of runaround. Then I went back and they said they called my voicemail without any answer. Then they had tracked down one....blah blah blah. I gave up.
I poked my nose in tonight because they have had several bottles of GTS over the months. I just prefer wheaters. And there it was....WLW! Not just ANY WLW....it was 129.9 proof (not this years) so I snagged it. Quick iphone links to SB lets me know it is 2006. So I guess someone finally cleaned out a warehouse. There was also a ER17 that said it was bottled fall 2001. Is that right?

WsmataU
04-30-2010, 17:18
PS they also had Virginia Gentlemen (fox) in gold wax on clearance for $21/btl.

WsmataU
04-30-2010, 19:30
OK...I'm done....I went back and bought the ER17.:slappin:

gblick
05-01-2010, 16:03
Yesterday I bought something out of the ordinary for me, just to change it up a bit....WTRB.
Haven't opened it yet.

callmeox
05-01-2010, 16:07
PS they also had Virginia Gentlemen (fox) in gold wax on clearance for $21/btl.

They were on clearance at 12 and change at Liquor World in Bardstown. A number of us grabbed a pair to go at that price.

BourbonJoe
05-01-2010, 18:11
Yesterday I bought something out of the ordinary for me, just to change it up a bit....WTRB.
Haven't opened it yet.

If it's the new one (after WT-03-RB) it's unchill filtered. I got that from Jimmy Russell himself.
Joe :usflag:

gblick
05-02-2010, 00:55
If it's the new one (after WT-03-RB) it's unchill filtered. I got that from Jimmy Russell himself.
Joe :usflag:nah, this one's a WT-03RB. Is the newer one better?

nblair
05-02-2010, 05:55
OK...I'm done....I went back and bought the ER17.:slappin:

Definitely a good call. I tried some of Bartutle's '02 ER17, it was an amazing bourbon (thanks Timothy). I'm sure the '01 is just as good.

fishnbowljoe
05-03-2010, 20:38
Arrived in Florida today for vacation. Bought a bottle of ETL. Hope it lasts the week. :rolleyes: We're staying with some friends, and our host likes it too. Might have to get a second bottle this year. :grin: Joe

tigerlam92
05-03-2010, 23:59
Got my bottle of the Very Old Fitzgerald form 1958. This will be open shortly to try this very elusive and premium SW bourbon. very happy again.

cheers
--Hugh

nor02lei
05-04-2010, 02:43
Got my bottle of the Very Old Fitzgerald form 1958. This will be open shortly to try this very elusive and premium SW bourbon. very happy again.

cheers
--Hugh

A real beauty Hugh! very sympatric to open it instead of putting it on a pedestal.

Leif

hectic1
05-04-2010, 18:15
Never had Booker's before so I decided to pick up a couple 50ml bottles to try!

unclebunk
05-04-2010, 19:09
Replaced my empty bottle of Rare Breed today and almost broke down and picked up another Parker's Heritage but I've really got to watch the money. Fortunately, I've still got another pour or two of PHC.

Enabler
05-04-2010, 19:15
Today got 1.75 liters of Makers at Costco, $33.99. Gotta love Costco.

tigerlam92
05-04-2010, 20:00
Picked up three bottles of PVW lot B and a bottle of OWA-107 to try.

I also found out from this vendor that the distributor have raised the price of PVW15. I need to go back to my other spot to pick up some more to bunker up. Hopefully the other spot is still at the older price.

unclebunk
05-05-2010, 07:50
Picked up three bottles of PVW lot B and a bottle of OWA-107 to try.

I also found out from this vendor that the distributor have raised the price of PVW15. I need to go back to my other spot to pick up some more to bunker up. Hopefully the other spot is still at the older price.

Nice pick-ups. I hope you enjoy them. Do you mind my asking what prices you're looking at on the PVW15?

Tucker
05-05-2010, 08:30
W.L. Weller 12yr, back on the shelves in Atlanta after a long absence. And a bottle of ETL.

tigerlam92
05-05-2010, 13:33
Nice pick-ups. I hope you enjoy them. Do you mind my asking what prices you're looking at on the PVW15?

This place was listing it for $89! This is their new shipment. At the same time their Lot B was only $49 which is very reasonable.

I have always gotten them for $69-75 or so and have a bunch bunker up.

Cheers
--Hugh

callmeox
05-05-2010, 18:28
My Sampler haul included:

Liquor World 4yo Willett (after a good 10:30 AM Friday sample)
2001 Pewter WTKS
2005 (?) smooth brown WTKS
1997 Rare Breed
Virginia Gentleman (the Fox)
"B" label VWFRR (found in the wild)
Pappy 15 (also found in the wild)
2009 Mariage
Party Source 3yo Willett (very interesting stuff, a must try)
Party Source Four Roses OESO
OCPR slope
Bourbon Society Willett 6yo
And a nice plastic handle of Sazerac Old Taylor for mixing. :grin:

Rughi
05-05-2010, 18:39
My Sampler haul included:...a nice plastic handle of Sazerac Old Taylor for mixing. :grin:

Has the label or, more importantly, the flavor changed in the past year? If the labels different we need pics!

Is it still...Beamy?

Roger

callmeox
05-05-2010, 18:48
Has the label or, more importantly, the flavor changed in the past year? If the labels different we need pics!

Is it still...Beamy?

Roger

Since the deal with Beam included quite a few barrels of Beam juice, I assume that it is still Beamy unless it was cut with a sufficient amount of BT juice to change the character.

I have not opened it yet, but when I do I will give a full report.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_D1aZHtGmNIs/S-IV-2MBzpI/AAAAAAAABIM/vrJCNZqtQoY/s400/OT_Bottom.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_D1aZHtGmNIs/S-IV_dhocVI/AAAAAAAABIY/sJwe1aDrtko/s400/OT_Front.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_D1aZHtGmNIs/S-IV_68yj_I/AAAAAAAABIc/r_0_WpK_7Vg/s400/OT_Neck.jpg

BourbonJoe
05-05-2010, 18:51
My sampler haul included:

4 Barrel Proof Four Roses (OBSK, OBSO, OESK, OESO)
1 100th Anniversary 17 y/o Barrel Proof Four Roses
1 Jefferson Presidential Reserve S/W
1 2009 Four Roses Mariage
1 Elmer T. Lee 50th bottle
2 13 y/o Willett Barrel Proofs (Barrel 3065)
2 OWA
1 .375 Early Times 150th anniversary
A bunch of BiB's

Joe :usflag:

hectic1
05-05-2010, 19:48
I'm in Boston for work and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to head to Julio's to meet Ryan...ended up tasting their new Jefferson's barrel...every nice pear and spice! I bought a bottle of their new RHF's BIB...can't wait to get this one home and give it a try! :D

StraightBoston
05-05-2010, 20:07
Still working my way through the bunker (slowly) so I haven't bought anything for myself in a while, but I picked up a bottle of Hancock's Presidential Reserve for a friend last night.

jwistuber
05-05-2010, 21:33
Just got a bottle of buffalo trace and I have to say I REALLY ENJOY it. I am going to get a bottle of Knobb Creek Friday, the store that I go to sells small bottles (like what you get of airllines). It is a good way to taste something without spending a lot of money.

sailor22
05-06-2010, 06:47
The friendly UPS man was kind enough to leave me a Palm Ridge Florida Whiskey and a Parkers Golden. I'm thinking really opposite ends of the spectrum with these two.

tigerlam92
05-06-2010, 20:24
I just got my three bottles of the four roses 100th Anniversay 17 years. I popped one open and must say so far I like it, for a SW Fanatic. The nose isn't as nice as PVW15 but the taste is very complex and the follow through is quite long and very surprising. At the same time there isn't any burn either. There is a little dryness at the end. I will need to compare this to my 4R barrel strength by Ledgers later. And also allow it to breath and open up a little bit.

At $65 a bottle, I'm quite happy with this purchase and bunker when I wasn't even planning to purchase if it was at $80-100.

Edit - this is definitely better than the 4R barrel strength which is also quite good but the dryness is a bit more than the 17yr.

Hawg73
05-07-2010, 06:44
I'm in Boston for work and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to head to Julio's to meet Ryan...ended up tasting their new Jefferson's barrel...every nice pear and spice! I bought a bottle of their new RHF's BIB...can't wait to get this one home and give it a try! :DI will be in Westborough Saturday. I'll stop by Julio's and pick up a bottle. Thanks Bob.

harshest
05-07-2010, 11:59
Continuing my exploration of the bottom shelf I picked up a bottle of Early Times Kentucky Whiskey. Mainly because I have $3 mail in rebate that expires soon, so for under $7 after rebate why not?

SMOWK
05-07-2010, 13:03
A whole lot of bourbon showed up at my local LCB with my name on it. Once my girl brings my camera back from a school field trip, I'll post a picture.

24 PVW15
12 VOBBIB
4 VWFRR

sailor22
05-07-2010, 13:06
24 PVW15

You bought two cases? Sounds like the party is at your house!

hectic1
05-07-2010, 13:14
I picked up a bottle of KC at Binny's...I haven't had it in a year or so but I figured it's worth the $21.99 that they have it on sale for this week.

Damn...I'd love to get 24 PVW15's...that's a GREAT haul! :cool:

reg
05-07-2010, 15:24
Case of Evan Williams BIB, it was bottled on Feb 7 2010. Plastic pints came 24 to the case. Special ordered form local ABC store. they can get the Single Barrel now as well, 6 bottle case $30 a bottle.

SMOWK
05-07-2010, 17:28
My dining room table has never looked so appetizing...

hectic1
05-07-2010, 17:54
That's one of the best pictures I've ever seen...congrats and enjoy those bottles! :cool:

harshest
05-07-2010, 17:55

Sweet mother of pearl :bigeyes:. That should keep you busy :drinking:

SMOWK
05-07-2010, 17:57
That's one of the best pictures I've ever seen...congrats and enjoy those bottles! :cool:

check the show us your stash thread. i've got all the winkles together for a party.

SMOWK
05-07-2010, 18:38
My brother raised a few good questions this evening.

Does Van Winkle (or anyone else for that matter) ever buy whiskey that is aged prior to them obtaining them and re-aging? Are any aged outside of the Van Winkle warehouses and bottled directly?

Do they ever mingle distillate from multiple distilleries before aging?

And finally, what exactly is in any certain bottle of Van Winkle? Are there whiskies older than 10, 15, or 20, in bottles of Van Winkle 10yr, 15yr, and 20yr?

camduncan
05-07-2010, 23:04
Today I picked up a 1 litre Jim Beam Gold Label BIB

ErichPryde
05-08-2010, 00:06
My brother raised a few good questions this evening.

Does Van Winkle (or anyone else for that matter) ever buy whiskey that is aged prior to them obtaining them and re-aging? Are any aged outside of the Van Winkle warehouses and bottled directly?

Yes. One example I can think of is Vintage Rye 21 year- I remember reading somewhere that it was sold because it was deemed "too old" to become what it was intended to become, and then it was aged for additional years before being bottled. the seller apparently expressed regret, and said that they would not have sold it if they knew it was going to undergo additional aging.

Do they ever mingle distillate from multiple distilleries before aging?

I don't know! Gillman certainly does! :cool: If they do, does the label have to read "vatted" instead of straight? or can it simply read "a blend of straights...?"

And finally, what exactly is in any certain bottle of Van Winkle? Are there whiskies older than 10, 15, or 20, in bottles of Van Winkle 10yr, 15yr, and 20yr?

Probably not now- Although they did have an excess of rye stock for a while which continued to age for many additional years (until some got too old and some got tanked), As I understand it there is a definite shortage of bourbon that goes into becoming VW. The 20 and 23 year old versions are most/definitely/likely S-W stock. The 15 year old is being sourced from either Bernheim or Buffalo Trace.

There USED to be some single barrels of PVW15 running around, and I believe one or two of those may actually have been 16 or 17 years old, but That practice got stopped a while back... probably because there's simply not enough whiskey!

IronHead
05-08-2010, 09:48
Yesterday I picked up a handle of OWA that had a white plastic top instead of the gold. Last time Hectic Bob was down this way he spotted it on the shelf but left it there. I went by the same store last night and it was still there so I figured it was providence.

Anyway, it was quite a bit darker than the other handles with the gold tops and looked as though it showed a little evaporation. It is rich and woody and I would guess older than 7 years. But I am having trouble getting a date off the bottle. Does anyone know if OWA was ever bottled with a white top and if so, when?

SMOWK
05-08-2010, 11:44
Thanks for the info ErichPryde!

My brother brought these questions up after visiting a MM tasting at a local country club. (If you knew my brother, you would wonder how in the hell he was allowed into a country club.) Anyway, my brother isn't too knowledgeable about bourbon, so he was talking to the guy running the tasting (no MM46) about Van Winkle because I'm such a fan. The guy was saying that most VW products are different ages blended together. I found that hard to believe. It doesn't make sense to me to add an older whiskey to something labeled as 15/20/23 years. I would think after 15+ years, it wouldn't need any older whiskey for flavor. Maybe something labeled as 6, just to give it some extra depth, but you would think that something 15+ years old, would have enough on it's own to not have to "fortify" it.

I was always under the impression that the Van Winkle line was pretty 'straight'forward. Even if I'm wrong, this is some damn fine whiskey, and I would like to learn as much as I can about the process that goes into getting it from the field, to my cabinet.

By the way, there is a shitload of Van Winkle around this house. If anyone ever makes it to Ocean City, MD, please drop me a line. I would love to share a dram with any and all. I don't get around to drinking the good stuff with friends too often, it's usually pearls before swine around here.

ACDetroit
05-08-2010, 11:49
Well not today but on my drive down to TomH's house Tuesday I stopped in a store off the freeway, you know just for fun. Grabbed 2 ORVW 10/90 from Lawrenceburg. The Lawrenceburg on the label was the only reason I picked them up.

Tony

OscarV
05-08-2010, 16:14
Seeing as to how I was in the neighborhood today, that being Lexington KY, I stopped in at my favorite shop and got a
Four Roses Single Barrel Specially Selected by Sal Marino of The Thoroughbred Shop.
Also I picked up 12 bottles of
Four Roses 2010 Barrel Strength 17 Year Old 100th Anniversary.
On the way back up to the Mitten I stopped in Covington KY and picked up another 4 bottles of the 4R 17yo 100th Ann.
These 16 bots of the 100th ain't all for me.
And to top it all off I got something very special.
2 bottles of WLWeller 12yo, these ain't ordinary WLW12yo's, they were selected by Cork 'N Bottle back in 2006 and they are Single Barrels and they are actually 14 Years Old.
These 2 bots of WLW 12/14yo are for me.:grin:

But the highlight of the day was meeting John AKA jburlowski for lunch on the way thru.
SB.com'ers are the best but you know that.

tigerlam92
05-08-2010, 17:56
Went a little overboard here but this will be my last bunker for a while. Seeing that PVW15 is going up in prices, I went to a stash where I knew they may have some at the old prices (actually for sale prices) and picked up a bunch.

5 - PVW15 at $64!!
1 - PVW20 at $97
1 - GTS09 at $66
1 - WLW09 at $66!! I think this is the last one in the area. I was surprise they have some left.

OK, now I really need to stop bunkering for a while.

Cheers
--Hugh

BBQ+Bourbon
05-09-2010, 10:35
I nabbed an PVW15, ORVW 10/107, Lot B locally, and the bourbon fairy is bringing another PVW15 and an 08 Handy. Hopefully there will be fewer temptations in the coming weeks.:slappin:

bourbon-n00b
05-09-2010, 15:34
Did about a 40 mile round trip drive, into Detroit (at least until the scene got too sketchy for me) and back out again, looking for dusties. Didn't find a doggone thing. One guy offered me a Knob Creeek "with some dust on it" :rolleyes: and another spot had a different-looking bottle of WTRB, but at $48.99 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: , I wasn't even interested in finding out more.

I guess you Motor City guys have done a commendable job of clearing things out well ahead of me. Oh well, there is always ebay...

DeanSheen
05-09-2010, 17:23
Ahh I think Tony and others have pretty much cleared the area.

Gillman
05-09-2010, 19:37
Interesting comment about Knob Creek because (although I don't think that is what he had) I believe Mike Veach mentioned recently that the first bottlings of it had some of the last aged stocks of National Distillers Old Gran-dad. I recall those first bottles being especially good so that makes sense to me. But being the big seller (i.e., in popularity) it is, I doubt there would be any of that still on the shelves. Even if there was, how could you tell it was the first issuance? The bottles and label have never changed I believe. But technically (well not just technically) yes KC could be a dusty...

Gary

Special Reserve
05-09-2010, 20:39
Ahh I think Tony and others have pretty much cleared the area.

You just never know. I've been to places numerous times then have a dusty show. Additionally, I've walked into places not expecting anything to be wildly surprised.

Detroit has not been a good bourbon drinking town for better than 30 years.

fishnbowljoe
05-09-2010, 21:13
Detroit has not been a good bourbon drinking town for better than 30 years.

I never can tell when you bluffing. :lol: Joe

nblair
05-09-2010, 21:36
But the highlight of the day was meeting John AKA jburlowski for lunch on the way thru.

Next time you're in the Covington area make sure you swing by Zola's Bar and Grill. Their "Soul Burger" is made with Caribbean Jerk spices, it's the best burger I've ever had.

I was in NKY for Mother's Day and made a quick detour to The Party Source. I was intrigued by the Willett 3 year old so I picked me up a bottle.

OscarV
05-10-2010, 03:10
Next time you're in the Covington area make sure you swing by Zola's Bar and Grill. Their "Soul Burger" is made with Caribbean Jerk spices, it's the best burger I've ever had.

A jerk burger?
I'm there.
Thanx 4 the tip.

Josh
05-10-2010, 07:40
I was in NKY for Mother's Day and made a quick detour to The Party Source. I was intrigued by the Willett 3 year old so I picked me up a bottle.

You opened that yet? I had some at the Gazebo a few weekends ago. That was some very good stuff.

HighTower
05-10-2010, 08:21
Bills Bills Bills

got some boxes on the way!
09 GTS
2 x WT Tradition
1 x ORVW 23 114 decanter
2 x RR Rye
2 x RR bourbon
some KC, ri(1), ER10 and a trunk of stuff for other people.....

I hate customs!:hot:
I have paid them over $600 today!!:bigeyes:

Scott

woody
05-10-2010, 08:26
Finally got the OWA to try. Won't open it till this evening. Pretty excited to try it based on its reviews and popularity.

The Boozer
05-10-2010, 09:29
WT Kentucky Spirit. My 1st bottle of the stuff. Smoother than WT 101, seems to lack the familar WT 101 kick - less grainy and chewy. Only had 2 glases of the stuff so will have to give the bottle more trial & error.

nblair
05-10-2010, 12:00
You opened that yet? I had some at the Gazebo a few weekends ago. That was some very good stuff.

I have a job interview on Thursday and told myself I would wait to open it until after the interview...but of course I had a pour within 10 minutes of getting it home.

Never thought in a million years that 3 year old bourbon could taste that good. It's not the best thing ever, you can tell it's young, but it's still really tasty. I can't think of any other un-chill filtered, barrel proof bourbon available for only $28.

I want to chill filter some of it myself, and cut it with spring water to 90 proof to see how it would taste then. I wonder if it's the chill filtering and high proof that makes it good or if it's just (somehow) a quality 3 year old bourbon?

hectic1
05-10-2010, 15:59
Strolled into a liquor store in MN and to my surprise there was a Gold Foil AH Hirsch 16yr waiting for me...it was a little expensive though ($59.99)but I couldn't pass! ;)

I also found a WTRB gift box (the nice wood one) for $34.99...they're both coming back to IL with me! :)

ErichPryde
05-10-2010, 18:49
Strolled into a liquor store in MN and to my surprise there was a Gold Foil AH Hirsch 16yr waiting for me...it was a little expensive though ($59.99)but I couldn't pass! ;)

I also found a WTRB gift box (the nice wood one) for $34.99...they're both coming back to IL with me! :)

nice find on the hirsch!

OscarV
05-11-2010, 13:43
Tripped over a box in the garage this morning, it had a Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 101 in it.

nblair
05-11-2010, 13:52
Tripped over a box in the garage this morning, it had a Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 101 in it.

Sorry I left my box of bourbon in the garage Oscar. Do you mind returning it to its rightful owner? :cool:

OscarV
05-11-2010, 13:57
Sorry I left my box of bourbon in the garage Oscar. Do you mind returning it to its rightful owner? :cool:

Sir, your argument is with Mr. UPS.:skep:

SMOWK
05-11-2010, 14:16
A lonely bottle of ORVW 10/107 showed up via Mr. UPS a little while ago. He's now on the shelf with his buddies.

DeanSheen
05-11-2010, 14:42
A lonely bottle of ORVW 10/107 showed up via Mr. UPS a little while ago. He's now on the shelf with his buddies.

Nice! I have one of those! :drinking::drinking::drinking:

bigtoys
05-13-2010, 18:47
Read about the current WR Master's Collection Seasoned Oak Finish last night. Can't believe I missed this one when it came out and at WhiskeyFest (skipped WR). Supply dwindling around here, but Dave (HP Binnys) found me a bottle nearby. had it with dinner. Quite good. hope to get another bottle.
Also picked up a Pappy 20 for the bunker. Still my absolute favorite. Barely more $$ than others are paying for P15. Dave said he got one case of Pappy 15 (priced way less than other states from what I read) and it went quickly. 2 cases of Pappy 20; several bottles in display case.
Also had several bottles of Jefferson Presidential--I could barely find a bottle a couple of months ago.

???????that's NOT how the image looks in photobucket (if it's still sideways)!!!!!! sorry.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/Pvw20andWRoakfinish.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/PvW20label.jpg

ggilbertva
05-15-2010, 21:53
Ordered a couple of things from Julio's

FRSB Barrel Strength 120pf OESQ
Jeffersons Reserve SB
RHF Barrel 1 from last year......he happened to have one left. This particular bottle is one of my favorites from Julio's....loaded with Cherry's.

kyrocklover
05-15-2010, 23:25
Today, I visited JT Webb's Liquor World in Bardstown, Ky for the first time. Small store with a big bourbon selection. Found out about the store on this website. I will definitely visit this store again.

Anyway, I was feeling very low shelf/mid-shelf and picked up Rebel Reserve 90.6 proof, Johnny Drum 101 proof, David Nicholson 1843 100 proof and a 1.75 of Heaven Hill 86 proof.

By the way, also picked up a bottle of ORVW 10yo 107 proof. I will have to say I like the taste of this. As a bourbon noob, I look forward to moving up the Van Winkle product line.

tigerlam92
05-16-2010, 01:14
Today, I visited JT Webb's Liquor World in Bardstown, Ky for the first time. Small store with a big bourbon selection. Found out about the store on this website. I will definitely visit this store again.

Anyway, I was feeling very low shelf/mid-shelf and picked up Rebel Reserve 90.6 proof, Johnny Drum 101 proof, David Nicholson 1843 100 proof and a 1.75 of Heaven Hill 86 proof.

By the way, also picked up a bottle of ORVW 10yo 107 proof. I will have to say I like the taste of this. As a bourbon noob, I look forward to moving up the Van Winkle product line.

The Van Winkle line is my favorite. Definitely try the 12yr Lot B which is much better then it gets even better for the 15 years and then the 20 years.

Cheers
Hugh

jburlowski
05-16-2010, 05:35
Picked up a WTKS to replace a recently-deceased one.

cas
05-16-2010, 05:57
Picked up a Van Winkle Rye and a 10 year 107. Then finished the open Van Winkle Rye on my shelf.
Crag

woody
05-16-2010, 06:45
OGD 114 last night. I let the girlfriend give it a sip, and I thought she was gonna puke. Probably not the best thing to start her out on. I always ask if she wants to try whatever I'm having and usually she says no. This time she surprised me by saying yes. LOL!

SMOWK
05-16-2010, 15:00

I think the 10/107 is every bit as good as the PVW15, though not the same. I really wish the older guys were a higher proof. I'm itching to open the ORVW 23/114, but as a young lad, I shall pay my dues before it's time.

ebo
05-16-2010, 15:16
I picked up a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrell to go along with the bottle of Small Batch I bought last week. :grin:

jburlowski
05-16-2010, 18:09
OGD 114 last night. I let the girlfriend give it a sip, and I thought she was gonna puke. Probably not the best thing to start her out on. I always ask if she wants to try whatever I'm having and usually she says no. This time she surprised me by saying yes. LOL!

Love is in the air! :icon_pidu:

flsean
05-16-2010, 18:25
Polished off a good chunk of a bottle of Evan Williams Single barrel 1999 last night. I don't think it is the best of the EWSB, but a great pour for under $25.

bigtoys
05-16-2010, 20:14
another WR Master's Collcetion Seasoned Oak Finish for the bunker.

I got one Thurs and Mike at Binny's Express in Hubbard Woods said to go home and try it, because he only had 1 more bottle and I would have to let him know if I wanted it, too. I called him back Friday to ask him to hold #2; he said he was expecting my call.

docbible
05-16-2010, 20:38
Friday I picked up two ORVW 23yo 114 that had been on hold for a few weeks. Great stuff. Grabbed a JPS batch 3 and 5. Also picked up McScrooges Weller antique 107 nas. Their last barrel was the best that I have tried..... high expectations on this one. tim

Josh
05-16-2010, 21:13
Had fun back in the Old Country this weekend. The wife and I treated bonneamie and her husband to a weekend in Indianapolis. Had a great time and made the obligatory trip to Kahns where I purchased:

1 Kahn's Select Buffalo Trace
1 Kahn's Select Blanton's (for $12 cheaper than I can get it here)
1 Four Roses 2009 SBBS

and 1 BT Cream Liqueur!:bigeyes: My first sighting of it outside of the BT giftshop.

Enabler
05-17-2010, 02:47
But did you go to St. Elmo's, that is the question?

Josh
05-17-2010, 06:01
But did you go to St. Elmo's, that is the question?

Unfortunately we did not, but we got in some good eatin' and drinkin' nevertheless. Hit the Rathskeller, The Red Key Tavern, The Slippery Noodle, Le Peep and Bazbeaux's. So we did all right :grin: .