PDA

View Full Version : What are you drinking Spring 2010?

Pages : [1] 2 3

hectic1
03-20-2010, 08:22
I haven't had anything yet today but I do plan on doing some Turkey hunting tonight...I'm thinking of shooting a glass or two of WTKS Pewter Top! :bowdown:

callmeox
03-20-2010, 10:18
I haven't had anything yet today but I do plan on doing some Turkey hunting tonight...I'm thinking of shooting a glass or two of WTKS Pewter Top! :bowdown:

You're early and you're not even drinking. Sheez.

OscarV
03-20-2010, 12:48
You're early and you're not even drinking. Sheez.

Yeah, and ya didn't put "bourbon" in the thread title.:grin:
Oh well Scott, what can we do?:grin:
I think I'll have some Wild Turkey Tradition 14yo.

Special Reserve
03-20-2010, 17:17
I'm having a Founders KBS. It's the real deal. Strong coffee and chocolate notes.

hectic1
03-20-2010, 17:42
Starting the night with a little OFBIB 1998...it's good! :D

birdman1099
03-20-2010, 18:17
I knew Scott would be all over the OP on this one. Ever since he made the post about when Spring actually starts, I knew he was on the edge of his seat !!!! and I knew someone would walk right into it !!!:slappin: :slappin: :slappin:

If it pleases the Cracker, I'd like to state that I am drinking some UD Old Charter 10. Very nice in my Diet Coke....:grin:

bigtoys
03-20-2010, 20:48
opened the Rip vanWinkle 23. very good. smoother vanilla/carmel nose after several minutes in the glass.

gonna have to put it side by side with Pappy 20 and 23 one day

CorvallisCracker
03-20-2010, 21:00
I knew Scott would be all over the OP on this one. Ever since he made the post about when Spring actually starts, I knew he was on the edge of his seat !!!! and I knew someone would walk right into it !!!:slappin: :slappin: :slappin:

If it pleases the Cracker, I'd like to state that I am drinking some UD Old Charter 10. Very nice in my Diet Coke....:grin:

How did I get involved in this? I don't remember posting to that thread.

UD Old Charter 10? I have some of that, but for the life of me I can't remember who sent it to me. Was it you?

This afternoon I was out on the patio drinking EWBL and Mexican Coke (sugar, not HFCS) while smoking ribs. When those were ready, it was Deschutes "Red Chair NWPA". :yum:

birdman1099
03-20-2010, 21:12
Sorry.... Wrong Scott.....:rolleyes:

And no.... I did not send you the UD OC 10.

callmeox
03-20-2010, 21:17
How did I get involved in this? I don't remember posting to that thread.

You have contributed to the 'muddling of the scotts' in some other threads. To them, we're all one in the same. :cool:

WTKS (SDWT) from '04. I'm trying to make this bottle last, but that's not working out too well.

birdman1099
03-20-2010, 21:23
There's the culprit !!!!!

hectic1
03-21-2010, 07:03
While in chat last night I started out with some 98 OFBIB that Tommyboy was generous enough to share with me...I didn't have a lot left in the sample...maybe 25mls and it went really fast! :)

Then I had a pour of FRSmB and while it was good I found myself wanting something with a little more pull...90 proofers just aren't doing it for me of late.

Then I decided that I would hit the GTS...I've had a bottle open for a couple months and while I enjoyed it at barrel proof it's not something that I can do everyday. I figured why not cut it down to 110 or so proof and see how it goes. I went with 50mls of GTS and 10mls of water and that provided about a 114 proof pour. I found that I'm able to get all the different flavors out of GTS much easier this way. I went from the camp of it's good but not something I want all the time to the WOW...I really can see why people like this and it's very complex and filled with goodness! :)

sailor22
03-21-2010, 08:18
For the last few night I have been pouring some softer juice, maybe because it is getting warmer.

Early Times bottles in '93 followed by Wild Turkey 80 proof from '93 also. Both good but the nod goes to Early Times.

Next night was EWSB 2000. Not my cup o tea thanks. not terrible but only so-so.

Last night was Old Heaven Hill BiB (Ky 31) from something like '98. The best of the three nights.

jburlowski
03-21-2010, 13:23
Watching a tom turkey all puffed-up and strutting for the females in the woods behind the house. Appropriately, sipping some Tradition, neat.

Gillman
03-21-2010, 14:01
Neat Woodford Reserve. Its profile has evolved and while I've enjoyed certain batches before (e.g., pre-90's and certain of the post-Versailles minglings) the current ones seem to contain older bourbon all 'round and offer a refined, softer palate - while still showing effects of the pot still.

Gary

smokinjoe
03-21-2010, 14:48
My NCAA Bracket isn't busted. It's obliterated. :( Oh well, this Ezra B 15 yr should help me feel better.

ggilbertva
03-21-2010, 14:54
Absolutely nothing. I've either got a bad cold or allergies working overtime. It's not pretty.

Special Reserve
03-21-2010, 15:14
Bell's Batch 9000. A little expensive but very good.

An Imperial Stout that is thick, sweet, and loaded with molasses. With a high alcohol content, it's a sipper.

DeanSheen
03-21-2010, 15:38
ETL that I just popped open. Cant wait to revisit in a few days when it opens up a bit more.

Also watching my bracket bust. I do know that I wont be last so I got that going for me. Ahh well, tmrw I have to make my sweet 16 picks and start all over in the short pool.

OscarV
03-21-2010, 16:01
Along with some Intense Dark chocolate I'm enjoying some WLWeller Centennial, neat.

Josh
03-21-2010, 17:49
Like everyone my brackets are busted, but luckily I just filled them out for my own amusement this year, so no blood, no foul.

Tonight I'm sipping on some Louisville OCPR to toast three things:
1) In definance of my, and almost everyone else's expectations, The Purdue Boilermakers have chugged into the Sweet Sixteen once again by beating a very good Texas A & M in OT.
2) Although my braskets are busted, it's always good to see Big East teams go down and Big 10 teams defy expectations. I remember people saying things this season like "A Mediocre Big East team could beat any team out of the Big Ten". How's that workin' out for ya?:grin:
3) The Butler Bulldogs.

callmeox
03-21-2010, 18:21
I'm slowly enjoying a sample of Reid and Emerald's Willett.

Very dark, brooding, complex stuff.

Josh
03-21-2010, 18:27
I'm slowly enjoying a sample of Reid and Emerald's Willett.

Very dark, brooding, complex stuff.

I think it smells like Doritos. In a good way.:grin:

OscarV
03-22-2010, 14:41
A big ole splash of 4R1B, neat.
And you?

jburlowski
03-22-2010, 15:31
My NCAA Bracket isn't busted. It's obliterated. :( Oh well, this Ezra B 15 yr should help me feel better.

I'm with you... both on the busted bracket and the Ezra B (although mine is 10 yo).

smokinjoe
03-22-2010, 15:39
A big ole splash of 4R1B, neat.
And you?

Well, now that you ask O, :D...A big ole splash of 1980 Old Overholt (Michter's, I believe?). Just...OK...Baby Saz IMO, is infinitely better than this is every single category...color, nose, taste, finish, proof, and even better looking old timey bottle. ;)

smokinjoe
03-22-2010, 15:41
I'm with you... both on the busted bracket and the Ezra B (although mine is 10 yo).

:lol: Interestingly enough, as I found out today, everybody else in the pool got waxed, too. So, there's hope for me, yet!

ErichPryde
03-22-2010, 15:58
Jeez.... wasn't anyone rooting for K-State? :rolleyes:
As for the 1980 old overholt, it's got an excellent nose! it doesn't taste much like any other ryes I've had, but the rye spices and apple notes are there. There's some pie spice in the nose beneath the floral notes.

It's not world-class, but I think it's at least as good as the Sazerac. strangely enough, I just can't love that one. I love the siblings, but not the baby. :grin:

JamesW
03-22-2010, 17:31
Starting the night with some OGD114. I have a terrible cold and the grand dad is tasting terrific tonight. I don't know why I don't grab this one more often... for $20 it's pretty darn good.

ErichPryde
03-22-2010, 17:53
Starting the night with some OGD114. I have a terrible cold and the grand dad is tasting terrific tonight. I don't know why I don't grab this one more often... for $20 it's pretty darn good.

make that two of us enjoying OGD114 this evening. ;)

Dramiel McHinson
03-22-2010, 18:43
I've had a bottle of Baker's 7 year old, 107 proof, collecting dust for a couple of years and decided to bust into it and stick with it until it was gone (not all at once mind you).

I bought one each of the small batch bourbon collection a while back. I finished the Basil Hayden's, Booker's and Knob Creek but wandered off and left the Baker's. It taste very similar to the others but still has a tad of individual characteristic.

Josh
03-22-2010, 19:28
I don't like whiskeys over 12 years old.
I think most American Whiskeys over $40 are overpriced.
I think most private bottlings are overrated.

But this Binny's Elijah Craig 18 Single Barrel. WOW WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!

I kinda like it.:grin:

hectic1
03-22-2010, 19:48
Bourbon'st Bistro BS OESK followed by a small pour of ER 17 2002 compliments of BarTurtle!

A great night at Bourbon's Bistro! :D

ErichPryde
03-22-2010, 20:43
A little bit of everything tonight.

I smoked BBQ ribs on the grill- got the egg fired up and threw some hickory in there. I marinated the ribs in some Beam black, BBQ sauce I made with Four Roses small batch, and a touch of RC cola. I put some BBQ seasoning on them and smoked them for a couple of hours, glazing them with Beam black BBQ sauce I threw together near the end.

While the ribs were smoking, my wife and I experimented with a 200 ml bottle of Old Grand-dad 114, Lot 2, from 1981. I liked it, she loved it. She thought that it was very well balanced and flavorful stuff. Something in it reminded her of brandy, and she decided to pour some clear creek oregon apple brandy to compare it to.

Meanwhile, apparently my mother-in-law has never had good ribs.... Growing up she had some bad experiences with them, and never wished to try them again. thankfully for all of us she thought these were wonderful and we gave her the portion leading towards the brisket, and she devoured it.
My wife's mom does not drink... but somehow Tracy and I discussing ND OGD114 got her curious. She tried the apple brandy, immediately followed by the (somewhat spicy, especially to someone not familiar) OGD114. Her reaction was classic! but from there we convinced her to try some OCPR SS, which she found more satisfying than the other two, and then some R&E Willett, which was a bit much for her.

Opened a bottle of Unruly Red, which is a great wine for the price, and we sampled that around, too...

Right now I'm finishing off the glass of willett we poured. cracked pecans, hickory brisket and chocolate/pie spices... .damn!

tigerlam92
03-22-2010, 22:40
Started with some Lot B which is kept in my decanter and I finished off the remaining.

Then went to some WLW09 which I really like way more than the Lot B. This is becoming one of my favorite with PVW20 and PVW15. The WLW like the Van Winkle has great nose and taste. But unlike the LotB, it is so much smoother and doesn't have the follow up burn.

Finishing up the WLW pour, I'm going to get some of my Four Roses cask strength OBSK.

I have to start the night with couple of pours since I will have to watch the Twilight series New Moon video with the wife.

Cheers
--Hugh

OscarV
03-23-2010, 10:46
Wild Turkey Rare Breed, neat, such Turkey goodness.

fishnbowljoe
03-23-2010, 14:45
Got home from work this afternoon and had a small pour of VWFRR while finishing up some insurance paperwork and doing various other menial tasks. Man, it hit the spot and made it all worth while. :cool: Joe

mgilbertva
03-23-2010, 17:27
Ah, spring, finally, and the '94 EWSB is sooo very good.

tigerlam92
03-23-2010, 23:04
Started with some WLW09 then into the PVW15. Then finish with some PVW20. I think WLW has now moved up the rating for me and is now behind PVW 20 but over PVW 15.

The color and the nose for both are great. The taste of the PVW20 is more complex while the WLW09 is a little smoother and lighter. Both doesn't have the sharpness and burn at the back while the PVW15 has a just a little.

Looks like I'll be adding another bottle of PVW20 into my bunker this week.

gblick
03-24-2010, 05:40
Last night it was some RR101 followed by some Weller Centennial.

OscarV
03-24-2010, 12:48
Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot "B", neat.

jburlowski
03-24-2010, 13:35
WT Tradition, with a single cube.

OscarV
03-24-2010, 13:47
I did it John, I opened what I call the 1st 4R1B purchased in MI.
Ya know, sometimes it slightly reminds me of George Dickel Barrel Select, especially this bottle.

whskylvr
03-24-2010, 13:49
For all of us that sometimes enjoy our bourbon with ice.

:shocked: http://www.glace-ice.com/:shocked:

$8.00 per ice sphere

nor02lei
03-24-2010, 14:12
I did it John, I opened what I call the 1st 4R1B purchased in MI.
Ya know, sometimes it slightly reminds me of George Dickel Barrel Select, especially this bottle.

4 roses and Dickel has struck me as slightly similar stile wise (light and elegant) as well Oscar. The low warehouses?

Leif

OscarV
03-24-2010, 14:16
4 roses and Dickel has struck me as slightly similar stile wise (light and elegant) as well Oscar. The low warehouses?

Leif

Yeah, especially the 4RSmB, it is real close to Dickel.

Phantos
03-24-2010, 16:11
OF86 on the rocks presently, one of my favorite value pours.

Next I am going to taste the new (old) pewter top WTKS that has been breathing on the bar for the past hour (that I brought home today).

yum me.

gblick
03-25-2010, 06:19
Last night it was a small pour of ER101 before dinner, and then later some Weller Centennial.

Josh
03-25-2010, 06:42

Leif

Never noticed that. Oh, well, guess I'll be forced to do a head to head with those two tonight. Life is hard.

DeanSheen
03-25-2010, 07:03

Which Dickel? I haven't had the 8 or the12.

The Boozer
03-25-2010, 07:55
Out at my brother's club last night after work and all they had was some Bookers. Its been a good 18 months since I had any. Quite tasty. Thick and syrupy with right amount of sweetness. None of that Beam funky yeast flavor. Forgot I had bottle in the bunker. May to revisit Book this summer.

ggilbertva
03-25-2010, 10:14
After days and days of looking at my bourbon and not drinking any because of a cold....I enjoyed a '95 OWA last night. It was tasty for sure.

OscarV
03-25-2010, 12:42
Which Dickel? I haven't had the 8 or the12.

George Dickel Barrel Select reminds me of Four Roses Small Batch.
Rob you gotta get yourself up here and I'll pour some Dickel for ya, among other whiskeys north of Tennessee.

nor02lei
03-25-2010, 15:29
Its nowhere near spring here but I did have uncut 14 years HH bottled by Cadenheads 2006 from a new opened bottle before dinner. It tasted dammed good! WLW 2009 later.

Leif

IronHead
03-25-2010, 17:23
Having a sample of WTKS Pewter top from Hectic Bob. Man, there's a lot going on here. Sweet corn, peppery rye, some caramel, leather and hay... woody but not too dry on the pretty long finish. Good stuff. Thanks, Bob.

ggilbertva
03-25-2010, 19:27
It's a beautiful spring evening.....light rain about 62 deg....sitting on the front porch with a '78 WT 7r 86.6 pf and a stogie.....life is good.

DeanSheen
03-25-2010, 20:42
George Dickel Barrel Select reminds me of Four Roses Small Batch.
Rob you gotta get yourself up here and I'll pour some Dickel for ya, among other whiskeys north of Tennessee.

Ahh yes I do. Thanks for the invite. Some friends and I have been wanting to take a pilgrimage to Founders in Grand Rapids for some time. I'm not sure how far you are from there.

Tonight I tried some EC12 again and still don't like this bottle. So I threw in the towel and had some 114. First pour I put 1/2 teaspoon water in with my dropper in a 2oz pour and this one I went to 1/4 teaspoon. I like the 1/4 better.

Tomorrow I'm going to the bunker and cracking a LotB. I'm sick of waiting as there are 5 down there, I'm just trying to pace myself.

nor02lei
03-26-2010, 03:22
So I threw in the towel and had some 114. First pour I put 1/2 teaspoon water in with my dropper in a 2oz pour and this one I went to 1/4 teaspoon. I like the 1/4 better.

I prefer the zero teaspoon myself Robert.

Leif

gblick
03-26-2010, 07:07
Last night I had about 2oz of RR101....good stuff!

smokinjoe
03-26-2010, 07:07
Purchased a new bottle of Buffalo Trace yesterday, and drank it at poker last night. I really like BT, particularly the last couple of years. But they even outdid themselves with this bottle. Astoundingly good. BT is hitting on all cylinders with their Flagship Brand.

sailor22
03-26-2010, 07:53
I'm trying to finish some bottles that have just a small amount left so last night I had;
Willett Green Top
Prichards Double barrel
Van Winkle 10/90

OscarV
03-26-2010, 12:49
Wild Turkey Tradition 14yo, neat.
I don't think this bottle will survive the weekend.

whskylvr
03-26-2010, 12:55
Oscar,

The WT Tradition is a great pour. I have enjoyed it for a little while. I got a couple of bottles for AC Detroit a while back.

For me: drinking ORVW 23yr 114 proof then I think on to some JRPS and before I leave for the game FRSB D & M bottling.

OscarV
03-26-2010, 13:05
and before I leave for the game

What game?

whskylvr
03-26-2010, 13:07
I am a season ticket holder for

The Stockton Thunder - ECHL Hockey League ( it is 2 steps below the NHL) we actually have had 8 players that are now in the NHL.

I love hockey!!:grin:

My seats are just off to the right side of the attack zone goal (1st and 3rd periods) right on the glass. Awesome seats.

OscarV
03-26-2010, 13:21
I love hockey!!:grin:

Did you hear about the awesome face washing Red Wings goalie Jimmy "American" Howard gave to Penguin Sidney "Canadien" Crosby last Monday.
Pretty sure NHL Commish Bettman didn't like it.:cool:

Back on topic, I switched to Wild Turkey Rare Breed, neat.

whskylvr
03-26-2010, 13:30
Yes I apologize for going off topic as well.

Yes I saw that I watched it over and over agian on you tube. That was great. Look here I go again.

I'll finish with FR Mariage 2009.

OscarV
03-26-2010, 13:37
Yes I saw that I watched it over and over agian on you tube.

PM me with the YouTube link, I can't find it.
Thanx in advance.

smokinjoe
03-26-2010, 16:15
More, from a terrific bottle of Buffalo Trace. Next, a pinch of 09 Mariage. I'm pacing myself, tonight. I have a long night of being banished to the backyard to listen to the NCAA's on the radio. My daughter has a schoolmate over for a sleepover, Mrs. Smokinjoe is watching the first 12 episodes of Glee, and I have specific instructions to get out and not be embarrassing. :o So, it'll just me, the game, the dog, a cigar, a fire, some bourbon....yeah (sigh)....................if I can only find a way to get to do this tomorrow evening, too!! ;)

hectic1
03-26-2010, 17:40
Started with a pour of Binny's ETL and now I'm having a pour of FR Mariage 09...I think I like the Binny's ETL better out of a crystal GC glass vs. the glass one that I'm using.

callmeox
03-26-2010, 20:31
I'm trying to polish off the last of a bottle of Templeton Rye. As this bottle has oxidized over the year that it has been open, the nose has gone from a non specific fruity note to a hearty slice of rye bread.

It is an enjoyable pour.

Joshua
03-26-2010, 20:52
Having a pour of OF Sig, maybe another 2 pours in the bottle. Once that's gone, I can open a new value pour bottle!

jburlowski
03-27-2010, 04:51
Went to the fish fry at the local Elks last night (not very good). Then retired to the neighbors' house to watch basketball and drink BT.

nor02lei
03-27-2010, 08:03
I did pop a bottle yesterday that I have had in my bunker several years. My exportations for EW 12 were very high. The bigger was my disappointment when the whiskey turned out to be over woody to a dramatic level. A big contract to the excellent Cadenhead 14 years HH bottling I had opened the day before. No idea to put it side by side with EC 12 another day as I had planed.
The WTKS I had later tasted very well though.

Leif

Special Reserve
03-27-2010, 08:50
I have specific instructions to get out and not be embarrassing)

I recall hearing those same instructions. This will change with time.

ggilbertva
03-27-2010, 09:46
While chatting in the Gazebo last night enjoyed a pour of '69 Old Crow 86pf and an '82 Jim Beam White. Both tasty.

spun_cookie
03-27-2010, 11:01
While chatting in the Gazebo last night enjoyed a pour of '69 Old Crow 86pf and an '82 Jim Beam White. Both tasty.

A good example of unfair bourbon distribution. This must be stopped (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=201433&postcount=18).

I was forced to only enjoy some of that new 1985 OGB BIB and 2005 Weller Centennial.

ggilbertva
03-27-2010, 14:13
A good example of unfair bourbon distribution. This must be stopped (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=201433&postcount=18).

I was forced to only enjoy some of that new 1985 OGB BIB and 2005 Weller Centennial.

If you're not careful, I'll start posting pictures of YOUR bunker and then we'll have a discussion about unfair bourbon distribution........:grin:

Skunk
03-27-2010, 15:52
Some Willett 3yo while watching Butler make it back to Indy.

gblick
03-27-2010, 16:23
Last night I had a little OWA, followed by some WC, then a little more OWA.

birdman1099
03-27-2010, 16:27
Some Willett 3yo while watching Butler make it back to Indy.

That was a tremendous game !!!!

I was drinking some Old Cork... I mean Crow....:grin:

(that 3yr Willett is pretty tasty isn't it....:grin: )

BBQ+Bourbon
03-27-2010, 16:46
Having a pour of OF Sig, maybe another 2 pours in the bottle. Once that's gone, I can open a new value pour bottle!
A buddy and I drank half a bottle of that last night. It's one of my favorite value pours and I'm not sure whether is was you or Josh who turned me on to it, but I'm grateful either way.

Tonight I'm thinking of opening a new bottle. Probably something from my haul this week.

JamesW
03-27-2010, 20:08
Lot B, Pappy 20, WRMCSO, and now some Julio's Baby Saz.

smokinjoe
03-27-2010, 20:25
It's been mostly beer today, but am finishing up with a couple of nips of WT Tradition.

ggilbertva
03-27-2010, 20:43
Yet another dusty.....'79 Early Times KSBW.

spun_cookie
03-27-2010, 20:59
Yet another dusty.....'79 Early Times KSBW.

I am stuck with another 1988 Weller SR... oh the agony of it all :D

callmeox
03-27-2010, 21:16
Rare Breed goodness this evening

nor02lei
03-28-2010, 01:25
I did have JDSS before dinner yesterday and WRMCSO after. Both tasted excellent indeed.

Leif

tigerlam92
03-28-2010, 02:13
Started with ORVW 10/107 after a couple of weeks it has open up quick a bit, quite good now.

Then Lot B and finally PVW15.

jburlowski
03-28-2010, 11:20
Enjoyed some PS experimental "Wheta on Rye" bourbon while watch ing the UK - WV game. Love the unique taste of this whiskey. Didn't love the way the game went. :frown:

ebo
03-28-2010, 11:42
Killing off the last couple of pours of a bottle of Geroge Dickel 12. Time to pick up another one. :grin:

nor02lei
03-28-2010, 15:24
Rendezvous rye before dinner and wtks after. Both tasted very well.

Leif

smokinjoe
03-28-2010, 16:35
Mrs. Smokinjoe's world famous chicken noodle soup, followed by a pour from a newly opened Lawrenceburg ORWV 15 yr. I'm floored by its goodness. Stunningly delicious. Today. Right now. The single greatest bourbon I have ever sampled. Ever. If God drinks bourbon...(Of course he does, you don't think the Angels are keeping all of that Share for themselves, do you? :)),... this is what he orders. :bowdown:

callmeox
03-28-2010, 18:36
I'm going retro with some Old Heaven Hill Very Old 8yo

I've not touched this bottle in a while, but one sip and I remember what I like about it.

nblair
03-28-2010, 19:22
Started with a Baby Saz, went to OWA NAS, then OGD114. OGD114 really hit the spot.

jburlowski
03-29-2010, 16:03
Ezra B 12 yo SB.... neat.

DeanSheen
03-29-2010, 16:08
I finally cracked another BTAC from the bunker. This was a 2008 Handy which I have not had for awhile but had a taste for.

I know where some 2009 Handy is and I'm trying to decide if I should retrieve it.

Res/st-or
03-29-2010, 17:36
Been loving some OFBB as of late. Also cracked open a PVW20 I've been sitting on for about 6 months.... Hope to grab some more when the next shipment arrives. May I think,... Is that right?

nor02lei
03-29-2010, 22:18
I did have FROESO before going to an Indian restaurant yesterday and old trusty OGD114 after. Now I will go by buss to Stockholm for surgery so it wonít be any bourbon for a couple of days.

Leif

CaptainQ
03-30-2010, 07:41
Been loving some OFBB as of late. Also cracked open a PVW20 I've been sitting on for about 6 months.... Hope to grab some more when the next shipment arrives. May I think,... Is that right?

May is correct, maybe sooner near the source. Hopefully members who start seeing fresh stock on their shelves will let us know. I do know the Spring release is smaller than the Fall release. Love the PVW20 and all the others for that matter.

sailor22
03-30-2010, 12:00
Four Roses OBSK barrel proof got some love last night. Yum.

Stones
03-30-2010, 16:21
Finished off a bottle of Eagle Rare Single Barrel last night - beautiful drop, wish there was more. :smiley_acbt:

ACDetroit
03-30-2010, 19:15
One pour of Vintage 17 tonight, in the hopes my back will realign itself tonight! Man does lower back issues suck!!!!!

Tony

DeanSheen
03-30-2010, 19:36
ETL followed up with some Antique 10/107.

I think I feel a Handy nightcap creeping up, the Brazilians on the cdp are driving me to drink.

Vosgar
03-30-2010, 19:46
Really enjoying some Lot B tonight. It got buried too far back in the cabinet and had been forgotten. Shame on me.

tigerlam92
03-30-2010, 21:00
Started with some ORVW 10/107. After allowing it to breath for a month, it's a lot better.

hectic1
04-02-2010, 16:23
I had some Lot B last night and I was amazed at the difference drinking it out of a glass GC vs. a crystal GC...I'm a believer! ;)

I follwed that pour up with some 09 WLW cut to 110 proof then finished the night with a pour of ORVW 10/90. :cool:

Halifax
04-02-2010, 17:44
Last night... some BT followed by FRSmB.

jburlowski
04-03-2010, 05:18
WTRB followed by WTKS.

OscarV
04-03-2010, 06:02
WTRB followed by WTKS.

Close to me last night, I had WTT & WTRB.

sailor22
04-03-2010, 06:04
It was an Emerald-Reid Green Top Willett night for me last night.

ggilbertva
04-03-2010, 11:55
Last night, it was the last of my '77 Yellowstone 86pf. Great bourbon, wish I had more than just a single bottle left. :smiley_acbt:

rocky480
04-03-2010, 12:21
Last night started out with a little EWB left over in a glass from a prior night followed by OGD 114, a pour of a 6 year Willett for the DC market, finished off with a little age statement OWA.

George
04-03-2010, 12:39
Having a pour of Dickel 12.

IronHead
04-03-2010, 13:20
Last night was Lot B followed by PVW 15.

Josh
04-03-2010, 13:25
Baking some Rosemary/Olive/sun-dried tomato bread for Easter, waiting for the Butler/MSU game, and spending some time with Frank Fort tonight (no relation to Dr. Frank N. Furter). Began with AAA 10 yr, moved on to OC 10, next, who knows? Old Taylor? ER 17? Handy? Who knows?

Hawg73
04-03-2010, 15:40
Just watched the Sox in the final Spring Training tune up before starting with the Yanks tomorrow. I was enjoying a RRBiB with a splash of water. Nice. And it is absolutely beautiful here in New England today!!!

Skunk
04-03-2010, 16:08
Killed three birds by emptying one, buying two more, and now drinking HH BiB. Mmmm.

smokinjoe
04-03-2010, 16:53
I've been sippin' Maker's Mark this afternoon. As always, a truly wonderful nose. Very thick legs seeping down the sides of my glass,too. Very, very tasty. This is damn fine bourbon.

Gillman
04-03-2010, 17:07
A cocktail I devised in recent years, which is a kind of combination of a Manhattan and a Sazerac. It's really a Manhattan with a dash of absinthe, which some early recipes called for - nothing really new under the sun in this area.

I like the faint hint of anise/herbs from the absinthe and the winy undertone from the vermouth. The secret though is in the whiskeys, as usual I use my own blending of bourbons and straight ryes. I have a bit of a house secret, which is, if I think the taste isn't knit together perfectly, I will add a dash of good vodka. I have tried Canadian whisky but usually that puts it off. Vodka rounds the taste and if it is good quality you don't notice the effect. You can't go wrong without it, but I sip these neat and want to get the texture 100% right. I need to come up with a name for this, maybe a Sahattan.

A variation is using half whiskeys, half brandy (ies).

Gary

hectic1
04-03-2010, 18:08
Having a pour of WTRR 90 and it's much better then I remembered...enjoying this one tonight while watching Butler go to the championship game! ;)

whskylvr
04-03-2010, 19:06
George Dickel Cascade Hollow (Red Label), while enjoying Butler's win, then on to George Dickel Old No. 8 (Black Label), followed by George Dickel No. 12, and now George Dickel Barrel Select - my gosh I like this stuff - and I will finish with a George Dickel 1964 Powderhorn bottling.

nor02lei
04-04-2010, 01:59
I still have to stay a bit low on whiskey as I am on painkillers after shoulder surgery. However I did have a glass of JDSS before the Easter table yesterday. It tasted good but maybe not as good as usual. I think the treatment the anaesthetic team does with tubes and masks in your mouth and nose effects the taste a week or so afterwards.

Leif

nor02lei
04-04-2010, 02:03
George Dickel Cascade Hollow (Red Label), while enjoying Butler's win, then on to George Dickel Old No. 8 (Black Label), followed by George Dickel No. 12, and now George Dickel Barrel Select - my gosh I like this stuff - and I will finish with a George Dickel 1964 Powderhorn bottling.

I would be interested to hear how well you thought the old-timer stood up against the modern bottles Dave.

Leif

jburlowski
04-04-2010, 06:00
Continued the WT weekend with some Tradition and WTRR. Won a few bucks on the Wood Memorial and Illinois Derby but gave it back (and then some) on the Santa Anita Derby. I haven't loss my handicapping touch.
:banghead:

ggilbertva
04-04-2010, 19:15
Enjoyed some beautiful weather here on the East Coast today....mid 70's and sunshine.....and while enjoying the weather and a nice Easter dinner sipped on an '07 Stagg, '08 Handy and a barrel proof Willett. Also brought along a sample from my VOB rebarrel project....it's turning out very nice.

nor02lei
04-05-2010, 03:10
ORVW10/107 and some Granddad Overholt yesterday that was a real sunny spring type of day. This morning it started to snow again.

Leif

OscarV
04-05-2010, 13:38
Won a few bucks on the Wood Memorial and Illinois Derby but gave it back (and then some) on the Santa Anita Derby. I haven't loss my handicapping touch.
:banghead:

It won't be long now, the KY Derby is just a few weeks away.
This Sat has some interesting races.
John, why don't you host a Derby party?
I'll be there.:cool:

fishnbowljoe
04-05-2010, 17:34
A little of this, and a little of that. I'm cleaning my bourbon/computer room a little, and taking an inventory of my collection while I'm at it. Plus, it was a really, really bad day at work. :horseshit: :bs: Joe

Josh
04-05-2010, 17:49
Doing a little home head to head with a current Binny's Baby Saz and 2009 Handy diluted down to 90 proof via the SB.com.

Not a whole lot of difference, but the Handy has a lighter, tea-like finish. The Saz seems more complex though. Both are surprisingly sweet and bourbonesque. A little bit of spice and cocoa in the finish too.

IowaJeff
04-05-2010, 20:19
I went to a scotch tasting a couple of weeks ago and they had the following for American whiskey: Hirsch Bourbon (in the short stout bottle, not the famed Hirsch's), Hirsch 8 yo Canadian rye, Hirsch corn whiskey, and a hirsch 20 yo 'american whiskey.' Now, I don't enjoy peated scotch much and that was primarily what we were tasting, so it wouldn't have taken much to impress me. Any relatively standard bourbon or rye would have gotten and "aaaahhhhh, that's the stuff" from me. But I have to say, this stuff was terrible.

The canadian rye tasted nothing like rye. It was thin and flavorless. The corn whiskey was corn whiskey, I give that a pass. The Hirsch Selection Small Batch Bourbon also wasn't good. Hard to describe the flavor, there just wasn't much there. I don't know what was going on the 20 yo american whiskey. It was kind of medicinal.

You might chalk this up to tasting some peated scotch at the same time, but after tasting these, we went back, had some more scotch, then decided to go wash the peat out of our mouth with a bourbon at another bar. I had an Eagle Rare SB, good stuff, usually doesn't knock my socks off, and had an "aaaaaahhhhh, that's the stuff" moment. It was like there was a party in my mouth and everyone was invited.

Long story short, stear clear of this Hirsch stuff.

nor02lei
04-06-2010, 00:45
I did have ETL before dinner yesterday and WT101 from 1985 after.

Leif

spy247
04-06-2010, 06:01
At the moment is WTRR, but I have been slipping in some Overholt and Pikesville Rye just for a change.

OscarV
04-06-2010, 10:33
Starting off with some VWSR Lot B, neat, let's see where that will take me.

nor02lei
04-06-2010, 15:34
Overholt 1981 before dinner, JDSS with the mix fruit pie for dessert and OGD114 just now.

Leif

ErichPryde
04-06-2010, 18:02
I made some chicken mole for dinner tonight, and although it was a long and arduous process, damn was it worth it! I tried some ezra 12 year earlier, and now I'm enjoying a rum & coke made with bacardi black from 1989. This is one of the better rums I've ever tried neat or in a cocktail, and although I'm not much of a rum drinker it's making a believer out of me. One of the most drinkiable rums I've had neat, and definitely the best rum and coke I've ever consumed.

Josh
04-06-2010, 19:04
AAA 10 y/o tonight, followed by some John J. Bowman SB. This is great stuff. Those bastards better release some more of this now that The Fox has been put to sleep.

I've loved this bottle, but I haven't heard anything about the rye since it came out. Anybody try that?

bigtoys
04-06-2010, 19:29
Pappy 20 in my new roly poly Mad Men galss.

Downed a lot of 4R SmB during Duke's narrow victory last night.

docbible
04-06-2010, 20:20
Going light tonight with MM on the rocks. Comfort food tim

unclebunk
04-07-2010, 08:28
I've had to lay low for a couple of weeks due to a terrible stomach bug of some sort, but I'm really eyeing a bottle of FRSB and may have myself a little pour tonight as a test run to see how the ol' gizzards are holding up. The last pour of FRSB a while back was superb and launched it firmly into my top 10, if not my top 5!

OscarV
04-07-2010, 12:18
Elijah Craig 12yo over cracked ice.

jburlowski
04-07-2010, 13:37
PS selection EC18... nicely done juice.

OscarV
04-07-2010, 13:39
PS selection EC18... nicely done juice.

When was this distilled and barreled?

jburlowski
04-07-2010, 13:45
When was this distilled and barreled?

Label says "Barreled 12/7/09".

(First I was pissed: "Damn... I got to walk all the way downstairs to the bar to answer Oscar's question."
Then when I got there I thought: " As long as I'm here I might as well pour another."
Gee, that Oscar is one wise SOB.")

OscarV
04-07-2010, 14:12

Check again, barreled '09 would make it a one year old.:skep:

nor02lei
04-07-2010, 15:33
EC12 before dinner, JDSS with the dessert and WT 101 from 1985 right now.

Leif

Hawg73
04-07-2010, 16:45
I am having a RRBiB right now and watching the ball game.

DeanSheen
04-07-2010, 17:14
Been on a bit of a hiatus lately.

Yesterday it was OGD 114 then OWA 7/107

Tonight I just went downstairs and brought up a LotB so I'm having one of those after a nice aged steak dinner.

matthew0715
04-07-2010, 18:28
WTRRR 6yr/90 - I notice the current labels for this and the 10yr/90 bourbon have no mention of Wild Turkey anywhere on the bottle. No, not even on the neck tag I just pulled out of the drawer where I keep them. Why do they feel the need to create an independent 'brand identity' for Russell's Reserve? Wild Turkey makes such wonderful products, I don't see why they'd want to distance themselves like this.

smokinjoe
04-07-2010, 19:59
Ahh, it's so nice to again sit out in the garage on a warm night and listen to the Braves on the radio. Bounced around from Baby Saz to WT Tradition to Pewter Top WTKS to 08 OFBB. All, were very good.

ILLfarmboy
04-07-2010, 20:32
George Dickel and Coke. I'm having a hard time surfing with this Blackberry. How the hell do people with really big fingers manage?

unclebunk
04-08-2010, 06:56
Ahh, it's so nice to again sit out in the garage on a warm night and listen to the Braves on the radio. Bounced around from Baby Saz to WT Tradition to Pewter Top WTKS to 08 OFBB. All, were very good.

Sounds like a good time, Joe. I often do the same and find it truly relaxing. When spring rolls around after a hard winter and the baseball season begins, all seems right in the world again, especially if I've got a nice beer and a whiskey within reach. Enjoy your season, Joe!

OscarV
04-08-2010, 12:35
W L Weller Centennial, neat.

jburlowski
04-08-2010, 14:45

Check again, barreled '09 would make it a one year old.:skep:

What? You doubt my visual acuity? My veracity?

Go figure. Tastes pretty damn good for "four month old" whiskey.

ggilbertva
04-08-2010, 18:09
One of my favorite budget bourbons....AAA 10 year.

T Comp
04-08-2010, 18:23
Some National Distillers Old Grand-Dad (86 proof) bottled in 1982.

ErichPryde
04-08-2010, 18:25

Heh... I had a bottle of Evan Williams Single barrel that had the bottling and barreling dates backwards as well. :grin: Someone over at Heaven Hill must be doing TOO much sampling...:cool:

I'm winding down after a long day with a pour of Weller 12. Cheers, Joe!

OscarV
04-09-2010, 12:08

That makes no sense at all, what happened?

BTW, I'm sipping Parker's Heritage Collection Golden Anniversary, neat.

nblair
04-09-2010, 12:48
I am currently not drinking anything because I'm driving from FL to KY, but I'm popping open my Louisville OCPR as soon as I get home.

I wanted to offer Brad some advice.

I'm having a hard time surfing with this Blackberry. How the hell do people with really big fingers manage?

If typing is your only problem I really can't offer any solution. I find the BB Bold is extremely easy to type on, but on the Curve or Tour I end up pressing two or three keys when I try to push just one. Maybe it just takes awhile to get used to.

I browse SB.com almost exclusively from my BB. I recommend pushing Z when browsing a forum using the Blackberry browser. This should change it to "mobile view" and make everything easier to read. I personally think that downloading Opera Mini 5 Beta (at m.opera.com from your phone) works much better than the Blackberry browser. YMMV.

Josh
04-09-2010, 13:04
[quote=ErichPryde;202439]Heh... I had a bottle of Evan Williams Single barrel that had the bottling and barreling dates backwards as well. :grin: Someone over at Heaven Hill must be doing TOO much sampling...:cool:
[quote]

:lol:

Bettye Jo has gone on record saying that the EWSB does not come off her line. Maybe they need to send her over there to straighten out the hand bottling people!

jburlowski
04-09-2010, 13:29
That makes no sense at all, what happened?

BTW, I'm sipping Parker's Heritage Collection Golden Anniversary, neat.

Stopped by the PS on my way home from work and had to give Jay a liitle sh*t about it. He was quite surprised. A number of the bottles on the shelf were labeled that way. The others have the correct date, which is 3-16-90.

Jay's only guess is that someone on the bottling line screwed up and wrote the current date on the label. He's going to bring it up with the HH rep.

JamesW
04-09-2010, 18:56
Tonight it's Lot B, WTKS, and maybe some Handy '09 next.

ggilbertva
04-09-2010, 19:42
Had a nice lineup at my in-laws house tonight after dinner. They wanted to try some of my bourbons along with my sister-in-law and her husband.

'74 Old Fitz
'88 WSR
OC 12 "The Classic"
Pappy 15
'08 Thomas H. Handy
'07 Stagg

I wanted to give them a taste of various proofs and various bourbon/rye selections.

craigthom
04-09-2010, 19:47
Some FR1B and some FR 100th Anniversary SB.

nblair
04-09-2010, 20:03
Opened one of my Louisville OCPRs. Wow! I am terrible at tasting notes, but if I had to describe it in one word it would be...unique. I like it a lot, never tasted anything else like it. Definitely went back for a second pour.

Also cracked open a Cork 'n Bottle OWA Barrel #32. Barrel #33 was sold out, which leads me to believe it was better, but oh well. I tasted it next to a regular bottling and noticed more cinnamon in the SB and more vanilla/brown sugar in the standard bottle. I think this might change after the SB is open for a month or so. I'm going to go out on a limb and say OWA is my favorite pour under $20.

smokinjoe
04-10-2010, 07:48
Opened one of my Louisville OCPRs. Wow! I am terrible at tasting notes, but if I had to describe it in one word it would be...unique. I like it a lot, never tasted anything else like it. Definitely went back for a second pour.

Also cracked open a Cork 'n Bottle OWA Barrel #32. Barrel #33 was sold out, which leads me to believe it was better, but oh well. I tasted it next to a regular bottling and noticed more cinnamon in the SB and more vanilla/brown sugar in the standard bottle. I think this might change after the SB is open for a month or so. I'm going to go out on a limb and say OWA is my favorite pour under $20.

I'm a big fan of the SS OCPR, too. I find I like it best when it breathes for a bit, as well.

Be careful. I don't know how many more of us can fit out here on this OWA limb! :D I agree with you, it doesn't get much better at $19.

unclebunk
04-10-2010, 07:54
We had a great night by the fire-pit last night, finishing off the rest of the Guinness leftover from St. Patrick's Day and sipping my '07 Stagg. I can hardly wait for tonight to do it all over again!

nor02lei
04-10-2010, 13:09
ETL, WT 8 export and WT 101 from 1985 before diner and Fitzgerald 1849 from the 70-is after. A bit surprisingly the old time wheater tasted best tonight. Still I wish the proof had been a bit higher!

Leif

BourbonDave
04-10-2010, 19:26
Last night was ETL twice

Tonight OF Signature and OFBB 2009...sometimes the OFBB is just right. I always love the OFS.

dean_martin
04-10-2010, 19:54
Last night - started with RR 90 then KC. All this recent talk about the slope shoulder OCPR made me try some. I picked up two bottles about a year ago. My first try after opening a bottle had a medicinal taste. I thought maybe something was wrong. (Of the 2 bottles, I opened the bottle with the most evaporation. The level was lower than the other, but not by much.) I had only a couple of pours since then. But last night the sweet, buttery finish really came through and seemed to separate itself from the alcohol. I can see this whiskey distinguishing itself from a wheater and a high-content rye bourbon. I might try a tasting of a Weller, WTRB and OCPR next.

ggilbertva
04-10-2010, 21:30
Went to the dusty cupboard for my drams this evening. '78 Benchmark and an '82 ER101. Both really hit the spot.

fishnbowljoe
04-10-2010, 21:50
What else? Weller. Weller SR, Binny's Weller 12, and 09 WLW. Heck of a night. Joe

OscarV
04-11-2010, 10:22
Yesterday after a pleasant visit to a local brewery I boke into the bunker and pulled out an Eagle Rare 101 and in a little while I'm going to revisit that bird when I lite the grill.

hectic1
04-11-2010, 12:29
I had a couple buddies come in for a visit yesterday and we decided to make a trip down to Manny's and the South Loop Binny's. I started at Binny's with a couple sample pours of FRBS OESO and OESK compliments of our favorite Binny's Whiskey guru. We then headed back to my house were the real sampling started. FR Mariage 09, Pappy 15, Binny's ETL, Binny's ERSB, FRBS OESO, RHF's, and GTS 09 to finish the night. :cool:

birdman1099
04-11-2010, 13:56
I really like your style, Bob !!!!:grin:

nor02lei
04-11-2010, 14:26
Overholt 1981 and Rittenhouse BIB before dinner then the BIB again with the soft chocolate cake for dessert and Handy 2009 right now. All tasted very well, but I think the old-timer came out a bit short due to proof.

Leif

hectic1
04-11-2010, 14:40
I really like your style, Bob !!!!:grin:
There was a pour of ER17 2008 in that lineup as well that I forgot about. ;)

Res/st-or
04-11-2010, 16:33
Picked up an OF 75th anniversary repeal yesterday. It came with a cool glass that when plucked makes a perfect pitch G bell tone. The whisky is pleasant and seems to evaporate like some irish whiskys I love to drink.

unclebunk
04-11-2010, 17:15
Hittin' the OCPR tonight. Sadly, I'm getting near the bottom of the only bottle I've got left. Time to start dusty hunting again.

jburlowski
04-11-2010, 17:15
Enjoying the BOTM, 2009 Mariage, while watching the end of the Masters.

Vosgar
04-11-2010, 18:01
My wife and I went to an Italian resturant for dinner tonight and the only bourbon, other than the usual Beam white, was Maker's. Not a first choice but not a bad one either. On the plus side, the bartender poured very, very generously.

T Comp
04-11-2010, 19:35
VWFRR and 8 year WT 101 Japanese export (WT found in a liquor store in this area at $14.99 for a liter, bought last two and left a 12 year old split label at $39.99 on the shelf and gone the following week). Nice finish to a day of smoking 6 slabs of baby backs on the WSM and having a few folks over for BBQ.

ggilbertva
04-11-2010, 19:41
1941 Mount Vernon Rye. To date, my favorite Rye whiskey.

gblick
04-11-2010, 21:34
having some 4RM '09 tonight..

T Comp
04-12-2010, 05:55
1941 Mount Vernon Rye. To date, my favorite Rye whiskey.

I bet it would be mine too. Yes I'm jealous!:grin:

OscarV
04-12-2010, 13:28
Back on that extinct bird, Eagle Rare 101, neat.

OscarV
04-12-2010, 14:22
Well all righty then, I wanted to shift gears, so I dug deep into the bunker and came up with yet another bottle of 4R1B from the '07 era that was aged in the LW warehouse.
Tony and SmokingJoe know what I'm talking about, like the McScrooges bottle.
This one totally outclasses the current lot of 4R1B that got shipped into MI for their rollout here.
It has that extra fruity sweetnes that is similar to the OESO but it is the OBSV, go figure.
Oh, btw, I'm of course sipping it neat.

nor02lei
04-12-2010, 15:15
ETL and Overholt 1981 before dinner. EW 12 and WTKS after. The HH brand still struck me as over woody to the point that its not even recognisable as a bourbon whiskey in general.

Leif

Josh
04-12-2010, 16:23
Starting off the night with 4 Roses over crushed ice with a drop or two of Fee Brothers' Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters. Very refreshing. And delicious.

cowdery
04-12-2010, 16:57
Parker's Golden Anniversary was just the perfect thing last night, all dark chocolate and berries. Even though the bottle is half empty it surprised me. It had never hit me right there before. You never know. I hate to write a review after just one tasting because the next time I drink that whiskey I'm liable to wonder, "what was I thinking when I wrote that?"

ILLfarmboy
04-12-2010, 18:37
Started out with BT, now I've moved on to Stagg. I may move on to Thomas Handy. I usually stick to one bourbon/other whiskey but I'm skipping around tonight.

Jessica
04-12-2010, 19:23
Falling in love with American Honey....mmmmm

nblair
04-12-2010, 20:15
Started with SS OCPR, then a standard bottling of OWA, and finally on to OGD114. So much good bourbon, so little time after work. I need to go to bed.

Is it true that Beam doesn't have a barrel program? I think it would be great to get a honey barrel of OGD114, and wouldn't be as expensive as others single barrels (not that I could afford it anyways...)

unclebunk
04-13-2010, 06:25
Two more pours of OCPR last night followed by FRSB (Binny's Barrel #2) from 2008, all while listening to some great music by the "Swamp Fox," Tony Joe White.

matthew0715
04-13-2010, 06:44
ETL and Overholt 1981 before dinner. EW 12 and WTKS after. The HH brand still struck me as over woody to the point that its not even recognisable as a bourbon whiskey in general.

Leif

Did you mean EC12? If you really have Evan Williams 12 could you post a picture? I've never seen one. Thanks.

p_elliott
04-13-2010, 06:47
Started with SS OCPR, then a standard bottling of OWA, and finally on to OGD114. So much good bourbon, so little time after work. I need to go to bed.

Is it true that Beam doesn't have a barrel program? I think it would be great to get a honey barrel of OGD114, and wouldn't be as expensive as others single barrels (not that I could afford it anyways...)

I was on an internet liquor sales site and they sell single barrel Knob Creek. So Jim Beam must have a barrel program for some people.

ggilbertva
04-13-2010, 07:37
Last night while chatting it up in the Gazebo, I enjoyed a pour of Binny's Weller 12.

fishnbowljoe
04-13-2010, 14:04
Last night while chatting it up in the Gazebo, I enjoyed a pour of Binny's Weller 12.

I thought that was me. :skep: Joe

Josh
04-13-2010, 15:37
Falling in love with American Honey....mmmmm

Did you mean EC12? If you really have Evan Williams 12 could you post a picture? I've never seen one. Thanks.

I'm diggin' this trend of 1000> members posting again!

I started off this evening with Dickel #8 on the rocks with a dash or two of Angostura bitters. I'm liking this bitters thing. Very tasty.

cowdery
04-13-2010, 16:44

It's an interesting point. Beam doesn't do any single barrel products and doesn't even have a single barrel bottling line. Consequently, I'm skeptical of the Knob Creek claim. Could be the retailer is confusing 'small batch' with 'single barrel.' Some people think Booker's is single barrel because it is barrel proof.

Does Wild Turkey have any single barrel bottlings? I don't think so, and I don't think they do a single barrel program either. I think everyone else does.

Josh
04-13-2010, 16:59
It's an interesting point. Beam doesn't do any single barrel products and doesn't even have a single barrel bottling line. Consequently, I'm skeptical of the Knob Creek claim. Could be the retailer is confusing 'small batch' with 'single barrel.' Some people think Booker's is single barrel because it is barrel proof.

Does Wild Turkey have any single barrel bottlings? I don't think so, and I don't think they do a single barrel program either. I think everyone else does.

Kentucky Spirit is SB. I recall seeing a special Premier bottling in the Buffalo area last summer, too. I also had a bottle of Kentucky Legend that was an SB. Damn that was good whiskey.

doug187
04-13-2010, 19:05
GTS 07 Finished planting wheat to day!
Sancho Panza double Maduro and Stag. Life is
fun!

Skunk
04-13-2010, 19:11
Some OF BiB DSP KY414 circa '86. Last of the bottle unfortunately.

callmeox
04-13-2010, 19:19
Kentucky Spirit is SB. I recall seeing a special Premier bottling in the Buffalo area last summer, too. I also had a bottle of Kentucky Legend that was an SB. Damn that was good whiskey.

I own a retail (Premier) and an individual (Willie Wallace) bottling of WTKS so they definitely exist.

nblair
04-13-2010, 20:20
Does Wild Turkey have any single barrel bottlings?

I met some SB'ers at Bourbons Bistro not long ago and Timothy brought a bottling of WTKS that someone from the Bourbon Society did. I remember a sticker/different label on it, I'm sure others here could expand on it. It's the only one I've ever seen or heard of though.

Rughi
04-13-2010, 20:44
...I'm skeptical of the Knob Creek claim...

I believe Timothy helped select a single barrel Knob Creek 5-10 years ago for a restaurant or bar he worked at at that time. I'd never heard of it before or since, though.

Maybe he'll regale us with the story.

Roger

OscarV
04-14-2010, 01:48
Does Wild Turkey have any single barrel bottlings?

I've seen a private bottle of Kentucky Spirit done for Lisa's Liquor Barn in Rochester NY.
The Bourbon Society of Louisville has done them and then of course there is the infamous Willie Wallace WTKS bottle.

nor02lei
04-14-2010, 03:54
Weller 7/90 and FR OESO before dinner yesterday and Stagg 09 after.

Leif

hectic1
04-14-2010, 04:40
I've seen a private bottle of Kentucky Spirit done for Lisa's Liquor Barn in Rochester NY.
The Bourbon Society of Louisville has done them and then of course there is the infamous Willie Wallace WTKS bottle. Timothy brought Willie Wallace bottle to the Bourbon's Bistro last time we met there...this is the bottling that nblair is talking about. :cool: Oh yeah, it was VERY good! ;)

tommyboy38
04-14-2010, 05:21
Drank a bit of Pappy 15 at a birthday party for my pappy the other day.

ErichPryde
04-14-2010, 05:23
The Bourbon Society of Louisville has done them and then of course there is the infamous Willie Wallace WTKS bottle.

I've heard the willie wallace bottle mentioned a couple of times... why is it infamous?

unclebunk
04-14-2010, 06:03
Had some ETL last night while watching baseball and a nightcap of Russell's Reserve 101.

p_elliott
04-14-2010, 08:00

WT single barrel is Kentucky Spirit and if you go through them to buy a barrel it has to be bottled as KS.

Here is the link to the single barrel KC they are out now so no rules broken: http://www.internetwines.com/rws10206.html I'm only posting it for the sake of argument.

p_elliott
04-14-2010, 08:14
I've heard the willie wallace bottle mentioned a couple of times... why is it infamous?

The Willie Wallace Bottling was famous because he/they (Kentucky Bourbon Society) went to WT and picked out their barrel. WT doesn't bottle at WT they bottle at one of Penrod Richards other sites at the time. Some where in this process Willie's barrel got lost and they bottled a different barrel and shipped it. The bottles were auction off I think, How this all got discovered I don't know. At least that's the story I think.

barturtle
04-14-2010, 08:17
The Willie Wallace Bottling was famous because he/they (Kentucky Bourbon Society) went to WT and picked out their barrel. WT doesn't bottle at WT they bottle at one of Penrod Richards other sites at the time. Some where in this process Willie's barrel got lost and they bottled a different barrel and shipped it. How this all got discovered I don't know. At least that's the story I think.

Actually, Willie got to go pick another barrel. There was no mistaken barrel bottled. I can't remember anymore if it was said to be lost or empty upon arrival.

barturtle
04-14-2010, 08:21
I believe Timothy helped select a single barrel Knob Creek 5-10 years ago for a restaurant or bar he worked at at that time. I'd never heard of it before or since, though.

Maybe he'll regale us with the story.

Roger

I'll try to remember to dig out that bottle sometime. I have one left, signed by the selection committee. The second to last remaining bottle was consumed at the Gazebo in 2005.

OscarV
04-14-2010, 10:48
Van Winkle's Lot B, neat.

nor02lei
04-14-2010, 15:30
The last out of a WTKS before dinner, Fitzgerald 1849 from 1977 with the hazelnut cake for dessert and WTRB 1991 just a minute a go.

Leif

unclebunk
04-14-2010, 16:17
The last out of a WTKS before dinner, Fitzgerald 1849 from 1977 with the hazelnut cake for dessert and WTRB 1991 just a minute a go.

Leif

Sounds like a nice evening, Leif. You always seem to have such nice pairings of dessert and bourbon. My health-conscious wife wouldn't even allow half of your desserts in our household but she long ago lost the war of prohibition when it came to the whiskey.:grin:

smokinjoe
04-14-2010, 17:36
Sounds like a nice evening, Leif. You always seem to have such nice pairings of dessert and bourbon. My health-conscious wife wouldn't even allow half of your desserts in our household but she long ago lost the war of prohibition when it came to the whiskey.:grin:

Leif alway has such a great selection of bourbons that he taps into. Despite that, I usually find myself anticipating what his dessert choice was. :D Leif, sir, you do good! May I ask, do you make these wonderful sounding desserts yourself? Or, do you buy them?
:toast:

nor02lei
04-15-2010, 01:47
Leif alway has such a great selection of bourbons that he taps into. Despite that, I usually find myself anticipating what his dessert choice was. :D Leif, sir, you do good! May I ask, do you make these wonderful sounding desserts yourself? Or, do you buy them?
:toast:

Me and my lady partner make our desserts ourselves Joe. We both like to cook. However I have been cutting down a bit since Christmas as I have easy to gain weight. I have also stopped doing traditional vanilla souse witch is pretty fat and gone over to high quality vanilla yoghurt from the store. My lady can eat dessert every day without gaining any weight, but I guess thatís favor is only granted to a small group of people.
This said I do prefer beer over bourbon to some desserts/cakes.
Leif

OscarV
04-15-2010, 12:37
OK, here's what I did.
I saw that there was a different 4R1B on the shelf than the original MI rollout from warehouse CS.
So I got it, it's from the HE warehouse, barrel no 52-3H.
It is a lot better, not ledgendary but I am dissapointed that 4R sent that other stuff up here for the rollout.
It's hard enough being a bourbon drinker in MI without the CS stuff clouding the issue.

nor02lei
04-15-2010, 14:46
Overholt 1981 and Rendezvous rye before dinner today. ORVW 10/107 with the hazelnut cake for dessert and Fitzgerald 1849-73 later.

Leif

sailor22
04-15-2010, 19:39
Black Maple Hill 21 earlier this evening, and a pour of E&R Willett 6yr. for a night cap.

dean_martin
04-15-2010, 21:04
drank a can of Dale's Pale Ale while watering the fruit trees. Then, as that big orange ball dropped behind the horizon I sipped on some WTRB.

nblair
04-15-2010, 21:17
I started with some Baby Saz as an appetizer, VOB BIB while making dinner, GTS 2009 and PVW15 for dessert.

spun_cookie
04-15-2010, 22:12
Bourbon... by the pound

craigthom
04-16-2010, 07:15
The Willie Wallace Bottling was famous because he/they (Kentucky Bourbon Society) went to WT and picked out their barrel. WT doesn't bottle at WT they bottle at one of Penrod Richards other sites at the time. Some where in this process Willie's barrel got lost and they bottled a different barrel and shipped it. The bottles were auction off I think, How this all got discovered I don't know. At least that's the story I think.

The bottles weren't auctioned, but people were allowed to buy them. I took one to the gazebo in 2008, and I've still got a few left.

I went to a place where Jimmy Russell was signing bottles, and in conversation I mentioned I had gotten some of another person's private bottling. "Oh, Willie!" was his response.

Apparently the barrel he ended up with was the one Russell had preferred from the original set.

unclebunk
04-16-2010, 07:50
Plan on hitting the Rowan's Creek tonight by the fire pit. I'm trying to thin out the herd of open bottles on the bar and have had trouble knocking this one off, so will enlist the help of a few friends. It's not bad, by any means, but just hasn't excited me much for some reason. Next up on the chopping block: Woodford Reserve and Fighting Cock.

CorvallisCracker
04-16-2010, 09:24
Last night was a 12/90 wheater trip. Weller 12 followed by VSOF (before dinner) and a Lot B after dinner.

theDon
04-16-2010, 09:32
Got a 5 oz flask of Weller 107 from 1997 waiting for me to get off work and go shoot some guns with friends.

nor02lei
04-16-2010, 16:02
The last out of my Overholt 1981 and VWFRR-K before dinner today. The last out of my Fitzgerald 1849-73 with the last of my hazelnut cake for dessert and WTRB 1991 later. The van Winkle brand was the hit this night.

Leif

Gillman
04-16-2010, 16:10
My own blended Scotch.

Leif, any chance you can make the party at Randy's?

Gary

hectic1
04-16-2010, 16:56
Started out with a small pour of RHF's to finish off the bottle...now I'm having a sample of some 1998 WSR...this is my first taste of this and I'm really digging it! Syrupy vanilla nose...man oh man is that a great smell! ;)

BourbonDave
04-16-2010, 18:56
A pour of OFS and then OFBB 2009 and now... Rare Breed.

p_elliott
04-17-2010, 00:03

Apparently I didn't get much of this story right, it wasn't the barrel they picked from there my version goes to S##T. Sorry for the bad info. :blush:

nor02lei
04-17-2010, 01:04
My own blended Scotch.

Leif, any chance you can make the party at Randy's?

Gary

Iím on the list and looking forward to meet you Gary!

Leif

Gillman
04-17-2010, 06:28
Good to hear Leif, look forward to it.

Night cap last night: Bulleit and Four Roses Single Barrel mixed 50/50, I got a good balance on it.

Gary

unclebunk
04-17-2010, 07:05
Kicked the bottle of Rowan's Creek last night before moving on to Fighting Cock and a nightcap of Russell's Reserve 101.

Josh
04-17-2010, 09:02
I'm enjoying some pre-lunch Dickel #8 with a couple shots of Peychaud's bitters right now. My teetotaling parents are coming for a visit, so I figured I better get some whiskey in while I can!

OscarV
04-17-2010, 10:29
Sippin' a Eagle Rare 101, neat and not thinking about the next one.

smokinjoe
04-17-2010, 13:55
Busted my arse in the yard today, so after a couple of Terrapin Beer Co. "Hopsecutioner" IPA's, I'm now relaxing with a long, neat pour of Baby Saz. Ahhhhhh....

Next up will be a smidge of McScrooge's OWA 7 yr before heading to The Ted to see the Bravos and Rockies. :woohoo: Chop, Chop!!

Dramiel McHinson
04-17-2010, 15:26
Feeling nostalgic today. I poured off a dram of a cherished 200ml bottle of Old Charter Classic 12. Smooth, smoky sweet caramel with a touch of cinnamon, coffee, old leather and a bit of wood to round it out. Maybe I got lucky with this bottle.

spun_cookie
04-17-2010, 15:39
Sippin' a Eagle Rare 101, neat and not thinking about the next one.

Not 'eh,how strange.

Poured a nice glass of the old BevMo 25 yr Willett (Chocolate Monster as Oscar called it).

OscarV
04-17-2010, 16:25
Did a double take after dinner.
Had a couple of WLWeller Centennial's then poured a Four Roses Single Barrel.
That's when I did the double take, it was like a straight rye after the dinner desert Centennial.

hectic1
04-17-2010, 17:07
Decided to open up a WTAS to see if I like it enough to buy a 3rd bottle this week in Indy! :D

callmeox
04-17-2010, 18:22
I've got a couple of seven pound pork shoulders in the smoker, Walk the Line on TV and some '68 Old Crow sitting in a glass next to me.

Re-lax-ation

birdman1099
04-17-2010, 19:10
I busted my arse in the yard today too, Joe...

Then I took a flask of 08 Handy to a neighborhood get-together.

I actually liked the handy tonight !@!!!:grin:

fishnbowljoe
04-17-2010, 19:38
After a long hard day fixing and cleaning my SUV, I'm having a pour of BT. Joe

smokinjoe
04-17-2010, 19:42
Busted my arse in the yard today, so after a couple of Terrapin Beer Co. "Hopsecutioner" IPA's, I'm now relaxing with a long, neat pour of Baby Saz. Ahhhhhh....

Next up will be a smidge of McScrooge's OWA 7 yr before heading to The Ted to see the Bravos and Rockies. :woohoo: Chop, Chop!!

Ouch! That's the last time I go With Baby Saz and McS's OWA 7yr. before a Braves game....They got No-No'd by Ubaldo Jimenez. :eek: WTRR 101 now, to stop the hurtin'. Actually, kinda cool to see the no-hitter, even if it went against us. First MLB one I've ever seen live.