PDA

View Full Version : Welcoming MGB!

Ultra
03-30-2010, 08:20
I have invited a buddy of mine to join us here and I see he has registered.

Welcome Steve a.k.a. MGB. Have a drink on me.

p_elliott
03-30-2010, 08:39
That's the way to do it Charlie invite your drinking buddies to join in. Welcome MGB post an introduction of yourself here. Is MGB taken from the car?

Dramiel McHinson
03-30-2010, 08:42
That's the way to do it Charlie invite your drinking buddies to join in. Welcome MGB post an introduction of yourself here. Is MGB taken from the car?

Yes, welcome MGB. Pull up to the table and join in :icon_pidu:

Ultra
03-30-2010, 09:15
Yep. His screen name is taken from the vehicle. I am sure he will be around soon after the admins approve him as a member.

p_elliott
03-30-2010, 10:02
He's been approved I saw that this morning when I logged on. Maybe he'll be on this this evening when he's having a pour. I used to have an MG myself loved that car when it was running.

Ultra
03-30-2010, 16:32
He said he just tryed to reply to this thread and was told by the system that he wasn't approved yet.

MGB
04-03-2010, 11:37
Now that the site has been revived, let me tell you all a little about myself. I live on an island in the middle of a lake in northwest Rhode Island with my wife, my Golden and the newest addition to the family, a kitten named Bianca.

I have a daughter who is married and lives in Brooklyn and a son who is married and lives in Sydney, Australia. Just about my favoritest thing in the whole world is getting out and seeing new places and meeting new people. After that, I am a certified car nut and lifelong fan of Formula One racing.

I presently have a Miata that my wife and I share (which means she let's me drive it sometimes) and an MGB-GT.

My passion is writing. I write regularly for Examiner.com on automotive related topics. If you have any interest in my stuff, you can follow this link http://www.examiner.com/x-21840-Providence-Automotive-Examiner' (http://www.examiner.com/x-21840-Providence-Automotive-Examiner)
Or not. It's up to you.

I am shamefaced to admit that I drink Imperial whiskey, usually mixed with diet ginger ale. :rolleyes: Hope that does not turn anyone against me. It's a curse I bear and I am trying to live with it.

Other than that, I am passionate about several political subjects, believing as I do that the central government was originally intended to be quite limited in scope but has now grown to the point where it would shock and dismay the founders. I also understand that several of the folks who were signatories to the Constitution thought it would probably last for 10 - 20 years, tops, and would be replaced on a more or less regular basis as experience with "The American Experiment" highlighted the strengths and weaknesses of the original social compact.

I am neither a Republican nor a Democrat, believing that A.) There is no practical distinction when it comes to running the country into the ground and B.) slavish adherence to a party line was all well and good if you lived in the USSR up until The Wall came down but is otherwise a losing proposition for any government and more especially for the governed.

That's it for now. I likely will not jump into any existing threads, as experience suggests doing so invariably evokes outraged cries from older members about how that topic was already covered in a thread from 2003, you ignorant newbie clod! :smiley_acbt: So I will try to ease my way and promise to read every post in every thread before adding my two cents. Would you believe SOME of the posts? How about at least one of the prior posts? :skep:

I am still in awe of the visual presentation at this site. One of the bestest I have seen. Whoever designed this layout should be pretty darn pleased with himself. :grin:

smokinjoe
04-03-2010, 18:37
Welcome, MGB. I look forward to reading about your journey through Bourbonia. Hopefully, you'll post regularly on this bestest of all spirits.
:toast:

ErichPryde
04-03-2010, 20:47
That's it for now. I likely will not jump into any existing threads, as experience suggests doing so invariably evokes outraged cries from older members about how that topic was already covered in a thread from 2003, you ignorant newbie clod! :smiley_acbt: So I will try to ease my way and promise to read every post in every thread before adding my two cents. Would you believe SOME of the posts? How about at least one of the prior posts?

Some people might be somewhat grouchy about the same questions over and over again, but then there are others that like the conversation started. I guess if you're not a conversationalist, don't ask the same questions Billy Gender asked 7 years ago. :grin:

p_elliott
04-04-2010, 01:53
Now that the site has been revived, let me tell you all a little about myself. I live on an island in the middle of a lake in northwest Rhode Island with my wife, my Golden and the newest addition to the family, a kitten named Bianca.

I have a daughter who is married and lives in Brooklyn and a son who is married and lives in Sydney, Australia. Just about my favoritest thing in the whole world is getting out and seeing new places and meeting new people. After that, I am a certified car nut and lifelong fan of Formula One racing.

I presently have a Miata that my wife and I share (which means she let's me drive it sometimes) and an MGB-GT.

My passion is writing. I write regularly for Examiner.com on automotive related topics. If you have any interest in my stuff, you can follow this link http://www.examiner.com/x-21840-Providence-Automotive-Examiner' (http://www.examiner.com/x-21840-Providence-Automotive-Examiner)
Or not. It's up to you.

I am shamefaced to admit that I drink Imperial whiskey, usually mixed with diet ginger ale. :rolleyes: Hope that does not turn anyone against me. It's a curse I bear and I am trying to live with it.

Other than that, I am passionate about several political subjects, believing as I do that the central government was originally intended to be quite limited in scope but has now grown to the point where it would shock and dismay the founders. I also understand that several of the folks who were signatories to the Constitution thought it would probably last for 10 - 20 years, tops, and would be replaced on a more or less regular basis as experience with "The American Experiment" highlighted the strengths and weaknesses of the original social compact.

I am neither a Republican nor a Democrat, believing that A.) There is no practical distinction when it comes to running the country into the ground and B.) slavish adherence to a party line was all well and good if you lived in the USSR up until The Wall came down but is otherwise a losing proposition for any government and more especially for the governed.

That's it for now. I likely will not jump into any existing threads, as experience suggests doing so invariably evokes outraged cries from older members about how that topic was already covered in a thread from 2003, you ignorant newbie clod! :smiley_acbt: So I will try to ease my way and promise to read every post in every thread before adding my two cents. Would you believe SOME of the posts? How about at least one of the prior posts? :skep:

I am still in awe of the visual presentation at this site. One of the bestest I have seen. Whoever designed this layout should be pretty darn pleased with himself. :grin:

OK but would you like to join us in chat and talk about bourbon? :icon_pidu:

Stu
04-04-2010, 10:59
Welcome aboard!

On the political forum you will find others who share your political views and others who are on the opposite side of the tracks. The one thing we all agree on is that what makes this country great is that we can differ on opinions and still be friends. I have many friends who differ from me politically and when we're at the gazebo we still welcome each other with open arms. Hope to see yo there some day. After reading some of these threads I hope you expand your whiskey exploration beyond Imperial (of which I have drank large quantities).

MGB
04-04-2010, 16:05
of which I have drank large quantities

AHahahaHAH! :falling:

So, what IS this gazebo place? Why should I go there? And what should I do once there?

I'm new here. Give me the 10 cent tour. :lol:

ErichPryde
04-04-2010, 16:37
The gazebo on sb.com is our chatroom. From the main page, you'll see the link for the gazebo near the top of the "sb.com stuff:"

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q182/ErichPryde/sbmainpage.jpg

I just logged into the gazebo to take a snapshot of what it looks like, and your name immediately logged out- So you must have logged in there earlier and figured out what it was. Glad you found it!

Last thing to know is that if you scroll all the way down on the main page, it will say which members are/are not in the gazebo.

MGB
04-04-2010, 17:49
Thanks. I did actually pop in there for an second. But I have a confession to make. I have never ever in my life used a chat room. :rolleyes: I have no idea how one works.

But I'll figure it out. Just don't get upset with me if I am a bit of a dolt at first. :lol:

matthew0715
04-04-2010, 22:17

Welcome, fellow enthusiast of diet ginger ale. I, too, am a closet mixed drinker. I prefer Canada Dry over Schwepps and I find rye whiskey mixes better than bourbon. I don't know if it's the way the rye and ginger flavors interact or the way the artificial sweeteners combine with rye's spiciness.

Enjoy!
-Matt

MGB
04-05-2010, 05:50
A fellow enthusiast of diet ginger ale

:lol: Thanks, Matt!

Perhaps we should start a new forum entitled Straight Diet Ginger Ale.com. You set it up and I'll see you over there! :slappin:

Gee, no one has taken a swing at me yet. This place is all right! :cool:

p_elliott
04-05-2010, 08:29
The Gazebo of which Stu was referring and our chat room is named after is the Gazebo at the General Nelson Hotel in Bardstown KY. Where during the Spring sampler and fall KY Bourbon Festival members of SB join together for drinks and and talk of bourbon and good times. Admission is a good attitude and a bottle of whiskey. I went for my first time last fall it is truly not to be missed.

We are doing a similar thing in Houston this May at Randy Blank's house see Bourbon Social, Spring get together. This is the one I'm going to make this year.

MGB
04-05-2010, 10:44
Ah, an excuse to take the MGB on a road trip! I like it! :grin:

fishnbowljoe
04-05-2010, 15:53
Hello Steve. I believe that I may have already posted a welcome that got lost in the glitch. (I'm getting old. :lol: ) So just in case, welcome to SB. Hope you like it here. Joe

MGB
04-05-2010, 17:40
Thanks, Joe. I have been involved in enough forums (or fori, if you prefer) to know that some places aren't all that hospitable to newbies. But SB has made me feel welcome right from the git go. I like that. I think I'll refill my glass and stay a while! :D

Chu'Wuti
04-05-2010, 23:48
Everyone here is definitely very welcoming! I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I have.

Re the mixing your whisky with other things:
It's a curse I bear and I am trying to live with it.

You could try cutting down the amount of ginger ale each time until you learn to appreciate the taste of the whisky neat--or you could try buying even better whisky so you can appreciate the taste of whisky neat . . . . no offense meant, just a possibility and you're welcome to reject it! ;) I confess that it took me a few years to get to the point of not mixing my whisky with something, and I'll bet there are a couple of others who also used to mix, whether they'll admit it or not.

We occasionally do get pretty political, but so far no one has become violent (at least not that I know of!).

Anyway, Welcome!

ErichPryde
04-06-2010, 01:51
5 e's, mom. your post was missing 5 e's. ;) (Don't everyone get into an uproar at once, it's really not that big of a deal. Aluminium is better anyway).

MGB
04-06-2010, 05:11
Thank you, Sandy! I fear before I learn to drink whiskey neat, I shall have to switch to a brand of much higher quality, and price, than Imperial! :blush:

Please enlighten me as the derivation and meaning of your screen name? Oh, and how to pronounce it would be helpful too! :grin:

smokinjoe
04-19-2010, 15:51
MGB, Congratulations on achieving "Taster" status on Straightbourbon.com. :rolleyes:

MGB
04-19-2010, 18:47
I'm honored. I think.....:skep:

smokinjoe
05-05-2010, 20:13
MGB, congratulations on achieving "ADVANCED TASTER" status on straightbourbon.com. :rolleyes:

MGB
05-06-2010, 05:28
Gee, and I haven't even been banned yet! :skep:

Ultra
05-06-2010, 08:01
Smokinjoe, congratulations on your open, friendly, non sarcastic demeanor. No one thought you could do it but you've proved them all wrong.

Erm, uh........