PDA

View Full Version : What Beer are you Drinking Spring 2010

HipFlask
04-08-2010, 15:32
Ok this time I am actually not drinking beer at all. I am rather thinking about drinking beer. It is the time of the year that Mai Bocks are fresh and full of flavor and I will be drinking a Sprecher Mai Bock when I get home. I also need to crack open the Kasteel Double I have at home as it was bottled last year on todays date which just so happens to be my 10th Wedding Anniversary. Gotta Love Spring Gotta Love Beer

Phischy
04-08-2010, 17:54
I'm brewing up lighter ABV summer beers now to start to get them into rotation. I have the recipe that won the Stone competiton which will be brewed later this summer, the West Coast Bitter. Guy who won lives a few blocks from me. That's going to the keg this Saturday.

Lighter hoppy, caramel red ale will be brewed this weekend and in 2 weeks a single roasty stout. AFter that I'll probably be back to brewing the WCB again. Uses a TON of hops though...

I need to upgrade some of my brewin equipment to start looking at 10 gallon batches.

dave ziegler
04-13-2010, 11:13
Right now I am drinking Red Sky At Night by Heavy Seas Brewing! A very nice spring summer Ale. Also some Stegmaier Bock a tasty bock for sure very malty.
Dave Z
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Beer It Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food

unclebunk
04-13-2010, 11:33
Had a beautiful glass of Paulaner Salvator (doppelbock) with some brats and German potato salad for lunch. I'll be digging lots of bocks this spring as we head towards summer.

smokinjoe
04-13-2010, 15:31
A dang fine day, a dang fine run, followed up with a dang fine Two Hearted Ale.

Phischy
04-13-2010, 16:43
Last sat while brewing I had a Lost Abbey Hot Rock Lager and a Deschuttes Jubel 2010. Also usually pick up bombers of Alpine's Nelson, just love that beer.

Waiting for my west coast bitter to finish carbing up so I can move it from the garage kegerator to the kitchen kegerator. Hoppy red ale "Goofballs" in the fermenter now.

Dramiel McHinson
04-13-2010, 19:11
I just picked up some Kasteel Donke Belgian Ale. This ale is made in Van Honsebrouck, Belgium at 11% alcohol. After I got home I found, in very small print, the serving temperature, 54 degrees F and the bottling date which is 2/25/2009. Oh well, so much for fresh. I really like a dark beer and hope it hasn't gotten too stale after all this time. :cry:

DrinkyBanjo
04-14-2010, 09:25
I just picked up some Kasteel Donke Belgian Ale. This ale is made in Van Honsebrouck, Belgium at 11% alcohol. After I got home I found, in very small print, the serving temperature, 54 degrees F and the bottling date which is 2/25/2009. Oh well, so much for fresh. I really like a dark beer and hope it hasn't gotten too stale after all this time. :cry:

Belgian Darks usually age well, you might be in for an unexpected treat.

craigthom
04-14-2010, 17:36
Belgian Darks usually age well, you might be in for an unexpected treat.

And, with that much alcohol, it's probably not going to be worse.

The oldest beer I've had was a probably twelve year old bottle of the Sam Adams Triple Bock, and it was fine. It's not your average beer, though.

Dramiel McHinson
04-14-2010, 20:08
Thanx Tim and Craigthom! You were absolutely correct. The beer tasted like it was made yesterday. It was velvety smooth and full like melted chocolate with buttery dark brown sugar. It was very sweet and went perfect with the Korean style meal I had with it. I don't think I could drink several in one sitting because of the level of sugar (and alcohol) but it was definitely worth bringing home.

Phischy
04-15-2010, 10:48
And, with that much alcohol, it's probably not going to be worse.

The oldest beer I've had was a probably twelve year old bottle of the Sam Adams Triple Bock, and it was fine. It's not your average beer, though.

Did the Trip Bock taste like Soy Sauce? That beer is one of the biggest beer failures ever.

unclebunk
04-15-2010, 11:46
Did the Trip Bock taste like Soy Sauce? That beer is one of the biggest beer failures ever.

I still have a few bottles of the SA Triple Bock left but can't bring myself to drink them due to the "soy sauce" factor. The last bottle I consumed was with a small group of friends, and to a person we all hated it. I'm an adventurous beer drinker but that beer simply mystifies me. What went wrong?

OscarV
04-15-2010, 12:13
I still have a few bottles of the SA Triple Bock left but can't bring myself to drink them due to the "soy sauce" factor. The last bottle I consumed was with a small group of friends, and to a person we all hated it. I'm an adventurous beer drinker but that beer simply mystifies me. What went wrong?

"What went wrong?"
I am getting to the point where I can't drink any of these kinds of beer from a bottle.
After I have had them "on draft" and fresh, the bottle always sucks or at least is a let down.

HipFlask
04-15-2010, 13:04

No Worries dude... The alochol amount is high enough that you can cellar that beer for several years just like wine. You will like that bottle to btw it is quite good. The bottle instructions are correct it does have much more flavor at a warmer than frig temp. This is not Bud Light! It does not have to be ICE cold to be drank. I keep mine in the basement frig but take them out and let them sit on the counter top for a while before consuming. Cheers bud

craigthom
04-15-2010, 17:05

I didn't get the soy sauce from it. It was very port-like, thick and sweet, just as it was back when it was released. There wasn't a lot of difference.

I've still got a bottle. Maybe I should open it.

craigthom
04-15-2010, 17:08
"What went wrong?"
I am getting to the point where I can't drink any of these kinds of beer from a bottle.
After I have had them "on draft" and fresh, the bottle always sucks or at least is a let down.

Did you have any of the Sam Adams triple? Since it wasn't carbonated, I doubt anyone ever had it on tap.

There are a lot of Belgian beers, too, that improve with a little age.

The hoppy ales I like, for sure, are much better on tap. Bottling tends to deaden the floral nose of the finishing hops.

unclebunk
04-15-2010, 19:26
I didn't get the soy sauce from it. It was very port-like, thick and sweet, just as it was back when it was released.

"Port-like, thick and sweet" I would have enjoyed. But the bottles I bought back in 1997--pure soy sauce, even then. I'm guessing my bottles weren't cared for properly (i.e.--were exposed to heat or direct light, went from warm to cold to warm, etc.). I'm tellin' you, Craig, these were pure dogshit. I'm glad your experience has been much better.

dave ziegler
04-16-2010, 07:42
Last night it was Penn Gold Lager from Pittsburg's newly reopened Penn Brewing co and it is as good as their Beers have always been. The Original owner bought the brewery back as the group he sold it too when he retired was having the beers brewed for them by outsource The Lion in Wilksbarrie it was still real good but nothing like getting it from the Old Penn Brewery and I am sure people in Pittsburg are real happy to have a brewery operating in town again!
2 weeks ago i has their Kaiser Pils wow it was good! I also got a case of Penn Dark a wonderful Dark Ale.
Dave Z
=================================================
Beer its Not Just A Beverage beer Is Food

unclebunk
04-16-2010, 08:21
Last night it was Penn Gold Lager from Pittsburg's newly reopened Penn Brewing co and it is as good as their Beers have always been. The Original owner bought the brewery back as the group he sold it too when he retired was having the beers brewed for them by outsource The Lion in Wilksbarrie it was still real good but nothing like getting it from the Old Penn Brewery and I am sure people in Pittsburg are real happy to have a brewery operating in town again!
2 weeks ago i has their Kaiser Pils wow it was good! I also got a case of Penn Dark a wonderful Dark Ale.
Dave Z
=================================================
Beer its Not Just A Beverage beer Is Food

That's good news Dave that the brewery is up and running again. Is that the only active brewery in Pittsburgh? If so, that amazes me, as the area has a long history of beer production (and consumption). I'll have to check out Penn Gold the next time I pass through on my way to NYC.

unclebunk
04-16-2010, 08:33
Enjoyed a Bakalar Lager from the Czech Republic last night. It's fairly hard to find even around here, despite our huge population of homegrown Czechs, but worth picking up if you come across it. The initial aroma could be a bit off-putting to some, as it comes across as "skunky" but that diminishes after a few moments and may simply be the by-product of the heavy dose of Zatec hops. Hop-heads will enjoy the bite found in this beer and the creaminess of the head lasts to the bottom of the glass, so I'd say it was $1.30 well spent for a pint of beer.

dave ziegler
04-16-2010, 12:18
That's good news Dave that the brewery is up and running again. Is that the only active brewery in Pittsburgh? If so, that amazes me, as the area has a long history of beer production (and consumption). I'll have to check out Penn Gold the next time I pass through on my way to NYC.
Yes Unclebunk it is as of now the only working brewery in Pittsburg just reopened from what I know in Dec once they could get enough fresh product out and it is as good as it always was! Pittsburg brewing now does Iron City Bottles at Latrobe and cans for now till they set up the new caning line at Latrobe at Lacross Wis. Labrobe is not far as you know from Pitts but I am very glad that the place has reopened and will be giving them lots of Bussiness, also the Resturant there at the brewery is reopening from what I know it may even be open now!
Dave Z
--------------------------------------------------------
Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food

Gillman
04-16-2010, 17:04
Pilsner Urquel. The best lager in the world in my opinion (from the broad range tried in 30+ years). Rich and biscuity, with a full Saaz (Zatec) hop taste that blends well with the grainy malt. We get it very fresh in Ontario (usually about 8 weeks from canning). Very fine.

Gary

dave ziegler
04-20-2010, 10:35
Gary That is a great Lager have a couple of Bottles in the fridge right now. But Last Night I was drinking some of my Case of Anchor Steam 2009 Christmas/ Winter Ale good stuff! Also I had a bottle of Penn Gold Lager. I just love to listen to music and drink Beer.
Dave Z
--------------------------------------------------
Beer Its Not Just A beverage Beer Is Food

jesskidden
04-21-2010, 04:24
Yes Unclebunk it is as of now the only working brewery in Pittsburg

What happened to the East End Brewing Co. (http://www.eastendbrewing.com/)?

unclebunk
04-21-2010, 08:32
Had a great beer from the Two Brothers Brewery in Warrenville, Illinois last night. It's called "Cane & Ebel" and is made with rye and Thai palm sugar. The beer is quite heavily hopped (in a good way) and is akin to an IPA, and yet not quite the same. The rye gives the beer a nice spicy kick which is balanced by the sugar, but you'd be hard-pressed to find any noticeable sweetness in the glass. This is a limited-run beer that I found at Trader Joe's that is well worth trying if you can find it.

http://www.twobrosbrew.com/all%20year%20beers.htm

dave ziegler
04-22-2010, 06:18
Sorry Jesskidden was not aware of that one will have to look for some of their beers around here! I'm still also enjoying Penn Brewings Kaiser Pils a great tasting beer, and Anchor Steam Christmas 2009 Ale.
Dave Z
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Beer Its Not Just A beverage Beer Is Food

unclebunk
04-22-2010, 07:15

Their selection of beers looks good. What is their distribution like though? I've never seen a single one of their beers in my travels and would like to try some.

dave ziegler
04-22-2010, 10:01
Tonight I will drink a narragansett and toast them because I found out its in the works for their Beers to be coming To Pa in the next few months.
I have been drinking Narragansett since it came back in 2005 but had to depend on friends going up to CT or Mass to get me some. Last spring I had their Bock it was a really full flavored Bock and I am hoping this year to get some of their Porter if I can. I personally think it is one of the best tasting regular beers around.

Has anyone else Had a gansett since it came back in 2005? I talked to someone in their office and gave them some big distributers in Pa names to help get it here!

Dave Z
Have A Gansett

unclebunk
04-22-2010, 10:40
Haven't had a Narragansett in a decade or so but will look out for it on my trip East this summer. We'll be doing the usual trip to NYC and Cambridge, Mass. to see friends and relatives and I always load up the trunk with hard-to-find beers to bring back home to Chicago. I won't have to take cases of Harpoon IPA back this time around because it showed up on our shelves here last summer to my great surprise. It's still not widely available but I know where to find it when I want it. Ballantine, of course, always makes to return journey. But where's the Rheingold and Schaefer when you need it?

dave ziegler
04-22-2010, 12:41
Anyone wanting to check out Narragansett beer here is their web site

www.narragansettbeer.com (http://www.narragansettbeer.com)

They are planing to build a brand new brewery back in RI like the Old days very soon!

It is my favorite sipping beer when I just want good old school regular beer--------------------------------------------------------------------
Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food
Dave Z

craigthom
04-22-2010, 16:09
Scurvy IPA from the Tyranena Brewing Company. Some of you may have had their Bitter Woman IPA or Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter Aged in Rye Barrels (whew) at the sampler a few years ago.

They are now shipping to Indiana from Wisconsin, so I was able to buy their beer in Clarksville.

Scurvy was previously one of their one-off "Brewer Gone Wild" beers but is now a seasonal regular. It's a hoppy IPA, like their Bitter Woman, brewed with orange peel.

It's not made with juice, and it's not sweet at all. It's got a nice bitter orange taste under the hop bitterness, rising closer during the long finish. It's very subtle, which I like.

CaptainQ
04-22-2010, 21:37
Just came back from the release party for Big Ballard IPA from Redhook. Nice big hoppy IPA, very tasty! Won a free T-shirt and enjoyed several beers with a good friend.

unclebunk
04-23-2010, 13:15
Enjoyed a nice Polish pils last night called Kopernik. I've always enjoyed its creaminess and clean, hoppy flavor.

Odiedog52
04-24-2010, 07:22
Just came back from the release party for Big Ballard IPA from Redhook. Nice big hoppy IPA, very tasty! Won a free T-shirt and enjoyed several beers with a good friend.

Nice! Attending any Seattle Beer Week events?

barturtle
04-25-2010, 13:51
Just back from Dark Lord Day in Munster, IN. Amazing event. 7,000+ people, all toting in coolers of amazing brew, plus 50+ kegs of one off brew, as well as the Dark Lord!

MGB
04-25-2010, 16:21
Dark Lord Day sounds like a hoot! :drink:

I myself have just returned from an afternoon perched on a bar stool at The Trinity Brewhouse (http://www.trinitybrewhouse.com/) in Providence, RI. Always a good selection of beers brewed right on the other side of the glass wall opposite the bar. Today's favorite was a Marzen, a particularly hoppy concoction named for the traditional start of the brewing season.

If you find yourself in Providence (you poor devil) let me know and I'll join you for a pint. Or two! :lol:

ggilbertva
04-25-2010, 18:54
After grilling some monster ribeye steaks, I popped open a Ommegang Abbey Ale. Great pairing.

unclebunk
04-25-2010, 18:59
After grilling some monster ribeye steaks, I popped open a Ommegang Abbey Ale. Great pairing.

That Ommegang is great stuff. I love the brewery's entire product line.

DrinkyBanjo
04-27-2010, 06:34
I tried most of the Abita line while in New Orleans. They were all 'ok', nothing special but drinkable. I like the IPA the best but as far as IPAs go it was pretty tame.

unclebunk
04-27-2010, 06:47
Czech beers last night while watching the Blackhawks beat the Predators: Bakalar, Ferdinand and Krusovice Dark. That was very likely the last remaining bottle of Ferdinand lager in America, by the way, as they stopped exporting it several years ago. Despite the fact that it was nearly four years past its freshness date, the beer was delicious and as good as ever. Too bad it's no longer available here in the US. I always enjoyed Ferdinand and Primator, which is also "extinct" now.

cowdery
04-27-2010, 14:02
Had a quick taste of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout the other night at WhiskeyFest. That stuff is awesome.

Gillman
04-27-2010, 14:37
What he said. Hey Chuck some time back you mentioned having had good results from a Heineken mini-keg, something intended for the home fridge. Is that still available in your area and if so, have you persisted with it?

Gary

OscarV
04-28-2010, 06:11
Here's a story about the Anchor Steam Beer Co selling.
I thought the older beer drinkers like me might find this passing of the torch interesting.
I remember in the late '70's hearing about Anchor and the price.
I thought they were crazy but as it turns out Mr Maytag was a visionary and he more or less kick started the whole micro-beer movement.
Finally in the early '80's I got some Anchor Steam beer. I was taken aback at the color of the head and how you could actually see each individual tiny bubble, also the color of the beer needless to say the taste.
At that point in time "premium" meant Michelob, it's not fair for me to even say the M word in the same breath as Anchor.
Link to story below.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/04/26/BUOD1D55P1.DTL

DeanSheen
04-28-2010, 07:34
Had a quick taste of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout the other night at WhiskeyFest. That stuff is awesome.

Is that something that only releases in kegs locally? We get Goose Island here but I have never seen this version for sale in OH.

unclebunk
04-28-2010, 08:11
Here's a story about the Anchor Steam Beer Co selling.
I thought the older beer drinkers like me might find this passing of the torch interesting.
I remember in the late '70's hearing about Anchor and the price.
I thought they were crazy but as it turns out Mr Maytag was a visionary and he more or less kick started the whole micro-beer movement.
Finally in the early '80's I got some Anchor Steam beer. I was taken aback at the color of the head and how you could actually see each individual tiny bubble, also the color of the beer needless to say the taste.
At that point in time "premium" meant Michelob, it's not fair for me to even say the M word in the same breath as Anchor.
Link to story below.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/04/26/BUOD1D55P1.DTL

Wow. I hadn't heard that Mr. Maytag had sold the brewery, and frankly I'm quite surprised by the decision. But after 45 years who can blame him? I've been a diehard Anchor fan ever since I saw Michael Jackson's Beer Hunter episode featuring the brewery many years ago. I love the flagship beer, the Liberty Ale and (especially) Anchor Porter. I've got a few bottles of the Small Beer chilling in the basement which I think I'll drink tonight in Mr. Maytag's honor. He's done so much for American beer in general over the last five decades that it's hard to imagine a world without him. I hope he has a happy retirement.

Josh
05-12-2010, 13:21
At my favorite pub, enjoying a lazy afternoon with a glass of New Holland's Imperial Hatter, their IIPA.

I'm not a major hophead, but its quite good. The higher ABV doesn't overwhelm the beer but the IPA character still comes thru. Very tasty.

barturtle
05-12-2010, 13:51
Is that something that only releases in kegs locally? We get Goose Island here but I have never seen this version for sale in OH.

It was available bottled, though it's an vintage stated release, so limited in production. It was widely available in KY, Louisville anyway, but has all but disappeared...it was rockin' good.

I saw something about the next release, but have forgotten what has changed.

harshest
05-12-2010, 14:22

I have seen it here in Michigan. I may have to go back and pick it up since it seems to have gotten rave reviews.

woody
05-13-2010, 02:57
Bells Two Hearted Ale is my favorite, but most recently had Breckenridge small batch IPA. both very good. Also if you ever make it over to Baroda, MI. The Round Barn winery has a brewery (they also make their own vodka now). The oaked IPA they make is fantastic. I have seen their wines for sale in places but not the beer yet.

unclebunk
05-13-2010, 06:49
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout with a nice glass of Balvenie DoubleWood on a miserable rainy night.

foxflyer5
05-13-2010, 15:08
i tend to drink a lot of the pale ales and IPAs, so if sipping those alongside a bourbon, i tend to go with something mellower like JBW or something from the Wild Turkey catalog.

but back to the beers, I like Gordon's a lot but that can get pricey. I like the Dogfish Head Shelter Pale Ale and when im down south i drink myself silly on Palmetto Pale Ale and Sweetwater 420.

Martian
05-14-2010, 15:53
Moose Drool Brown Ale. Nice body and very tasty. Perfect with just about any meal.

unclebunk
05-14-2010, 16:37
Moose Drool Brown Ale. Nice body and very tasty. Perfect with just about any meal.

I had that a few months ago for the first time and really enjoyed it. Now I can't find the stuff!

Special Reserve
05-14-2010, 18:30
Yesterday I had a Chimay Blue in a trend but very good restaurant in Los Feliz with my daughter who received her PhD from USC Annenberg today. Good times.

harshest
05-15-2010, 05:22
Had some Wild Blue Blueberry Lager last night. It is pretty good, real light with a strong blueberry flavor. My wife loves it and it packs a pretty good punch at 8% ABV

CorvallisCracker
05-19-2010, 12:56
Yesterday I had two summer seasonal offerings. From my blog:

Two Summertime Brews
Warm days are coming (I keep telling myself that), and we all need to be prepared. You don’t want to end a day of strenuous outdoor activity with the unhappy discovery that all you have in your refrigerator is chocolate porter. You want something light and refreshing, but with enough going on that you know you’re drinking real beer (don’t go into the light beer! Stay away from the light beer!)

Already waiting for you in the beer aisle are two very good summertime brews. The first, Sierra Nevada “Summerfest”, is a Pilsner-style lager. Gold-yellow in color, it tickles your nose with lemon, spicy hops and a hint of fresh-cut hay. On the palate it’s crisp, and you get lightly sweet malt, with the hops kicking in at the finish.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_i0SbH3GZkhI/S_QjVfn3rcI/AAAAAAAAACk/sd_rpsnwcN4/s320/SummerBeer.jpg (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_i0SbH3GZkhI/S_QjVfn3rcI/AAAAAAAAACk/sd_rpsnwcN4/s1600/SummerBeer.jpg)

Somewhat darker in color and fuller in body is Deschutes “Twilight”, but it’s still lighter in both color and character than most pale ales. Like the “Summerfest” it’s got citrus and herbal elements in the nose, but more orange than lemon and more grass than hay (and maybe a little pine in there too). On the palate, the hops are more forward than with the Sierra Nevada, and the malt is similarly sweet with just a hint of toast.

The two brewers have taken different paths to achieve the goal of producing a light, refreshing beer for warm summer days, with the Sierra Nevada being a lager (bottom fermented) and the Deschutes being an ale (top fermented). Which is better is a subjective matter (checking www.beeradvocate.com (http://www.beeradvocate.com) I see that they get almost identical scores, 3.69 for the Deschutes and 3.64 for the Sierra Nevada). If you want to keep your dollars in Oregon, go for the Twilight, but speaking for myself I think I favor the Sierra Nevada, which, with its snappy aromas and crisp character, seems the more refreshing beer.

Now, if summer would only arrive…

craigthom
05-19-2010, 19:19
Has anyone tried Shock Top? I haven't, because I assume it is just AB's answer to Blue Moon and is similarly well-made but without distinctive character, but I could be wrong.

I got there thinking about Sierra Nevada and, while they aren't local to most of us, they are still the coolest national brewer, which led me to think about Red Hook and Goose Island, which now have national distribution, but that's because they made a deal with the devil (InBev), which reminded me that I'm seeing this latest of their products everywhere now.

OscarV
05-19-2010, 19:25
Has anyone tried Shock Top? I haven't, because I assume it is just AB's answer to Blue Moon and is similarly well-made but without distinctive character,

Damn!
Well I guess this weeks pay-check is in the toilet!

(Keep that stuff to yourself,...OK?)

Special Reserve
05-20-2010, 19:23
Had a Leinenkugel 1888 Bock at Doc's Sport Retreat after work. Does that place have the distractions.

dean_martin
05-21-2010, 08:40
Yesterday I had two summer seasonal offerings. From my blog:

Two Summertime Brews
Warm days are coming (I keep telling myself that), and we all need to be prepared. You don’t want to end a day of strenuous outdoor activity with the unhappy discovery that all you have in your refrigerator is chocolate porter. You want something light and refreshing, but with enough going on that you know you’re drinking real beer (don’t go into the light beer! Stay away from the light beer!)

Already waiting for you in the beer aisle are two very good summertime brews. The first, Sierra Nevada “Summerfest”, is a Pilsner-style lager. Gold-yellow in color, it tickles your nose with lemon, spicy hops and a hint of fresh-cut hay. On the palate it’s crisp, and you get lightly sweet malt, with the hops kicking in at the finish.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_i0SbH3GZkhI/S_QjVfn3rcI/AAAAAAAAACk/sd_rpsnwcN4/s320/SummerBeer.jpg (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_i0SbH3GZkhI/S_QjVfn3rcI/AAAAAAAAACk/sd_rpsnwcN4/s1600/SummerBeer.jpg)

Somewhat darker in color and fuller in body is Deschutes “Twilight”, but it’s still lighter in both color and character than most pale ales. Like the “Summerfest” it’s got citrus and herbal elements in the nose, but more orange than lemon and more grass than hay (and maybe a little pine in there too). On the palate, the hops are more forward than with the Sierra Nevada, and the malt is similarly sweet with just a hint of toast.

The two brewers have taken different paths to achieve the goal of producing a light, refreshing beer for warm summer days, with the Sierra Nevada being a lager (bottom fermented) and the Deschutes being an ale (top fermented). Which is better is a subjective matter (checking www.beeradvocate.com (http://www.beeradvocate.com) I see that they get almost identical scores, 3.69 for the Deschutes and 3.64 for the Sierra Nevada). If you want to keep your dollars in Oregon, go for the Twilight, but speaking for myself I think I favor the Sierra Nevada, which, with its snappy aromas and crisp character, seems the more refreshing beer.

Now, if summer would only arrive…
The SN Summerfest has been in my summer beer rotation for the last 3 years. Summer, as in hot, lasts through the middle of October down here so it's a great tailgating beer for college football in Sept., especially when the tailgating starts early and the game is late.

Last summer I added Bell's Oberon and Great Divide's Denver Pale Ale to the mix. Neither is as crisp as SN Summerfest. They lean to the malty-sweet side. This year my first warm weather beer is Dale's Pale Ale. Thought I'd never keep beer in a can around on a regular basis, but I'm enjoying it.

unclebunk
05-21-2010, 09:07
Trader Joe's added some new stuff to their beer section at my local store, so I decided to grab a few bottles to sample the latest arrivals. First up was Lost Coast's "Downtown Brown" which had a beautiful rocky head, decent body and a nice mellow finish that I like in my brown ales. I was less impressed with their "Eight Ball Stout" which was tasty enough but lacking in overall character. I'm going to give that one another try tonight while watching the Blackhawks game, as the temps are going to be a bit cooler this evening which makes for perfect stout-drinking conditions. But tomorrow we are going to start our first real heat wave of the year with temps near ninety degrees and high humidity, so I'll be busting out the IPA's and cold, crisp Czech lagers this week.

woody
05-24-2010, 06:06
Tried Kentucky Ale, and Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. They both kind of fell flat for me. First one was in a long neck, the latter was draft. I tend to like my beers hoppy, so maybe just not my thing. Not bad, just not for me.

nor02lei
05-24-2010, 09:47
Me, Yvonne and my mother did split a 65 cl bottle of duganA IPA from Avery before outdoors grilling yesterday. It was very pungent and we all liked it a lot. Very surprisingly as my 80 year old mother never ever been into beers. Later Yvonne and me had Brooklyn black chocolate stout with the chocolate mouse for dessert and it was a good match.

Leif

smokinjoe
05-24-2010, 18:27
I've been on a steady diet of leftover Mexican Beers from our annual Cinco de Mayo party. So, I decided to change it up, and dug deep in the beer fridge for a Founders KBS Stout Ale Aged in Bourbon Barrels. My impressions of my first bottle of this a couple of months ago was just so-so. But, I now attribute that to being Stouted out from the Winter. Now, it's absolutely lip-smacking D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!!! The coffee and dark chocolate notes are perfect. It's very rich, and packs a punch at 11.2% ABV, but still remains very drinkable. I'm trying to remember, but, did I pay $18 for the 4-pack? :eek: 'spensive yes, but worth it.

Now, if I can just talk our buddy Leif into a return trip to the USA with some of that chocolate mousse, soft chocolate cake, or Hazelnut cake to go with the KBS, I'd be set. :yum: Of course, that would mean doubling up my run tomorrow.

craigthom
05-25-2010, 17:58
Tried Kentucky Ale, and Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. They both kind of fell flat for me. First one was in a long neck, the latter was draft. I tend to like my beers hoppy, so maybe just not my thing. Not bad, just not for me.

In my opinion (and, I think, the opinion of others), the Alltech beers are not, well, too challenging for those accustomed to mainstream American pilsners.

I believe that the brewery was founded by a desire to make beer, not just a desire to make money. I respect that. Unfortunately, it's just not very interesting beer.

Lost Pollito
05-26-2010, 23:57
Tonight I had an Alpha King from Three Floyds, and a pint of 2 Hearted from Bell's. :cool:

Hawg73
05-27-2010, 18:40
Tonight I am enjoying Stone Brewing Ruination IPA. Mmmmmmm hops!!!

Lost Pollito
05-27-2010, 18:56
Aprihop, 2 Hearted, and a Resistance IPA. A day of Hops.:cool:

woody
05-27-2010, 19:52
Aprihop, 2 Hearted, and a Resistance IPA. A day of Hops.:cool:

2m hearted ale is the bomb, and one of my favorites. If you can find it, try the Bell's Hopslam. It's awesome

cowdery
05-27-2010, 20:54
Here is an ode to keeping an open mind. If someone had said, here try this, it's a weiss beer mixed with lemonade, I probably would have passed. Instead I grabbed a Leinenkugel Summer Shandy out of a tub at a party, at random, didn't look at the label, and I love it. It doesn't taste much different than a weiss with a squeeze of lemon, but it works, as a light warm weather refresher of course.

doubleblank
05-28-2010, 07:52
I've not tried any of the packaged shandy's Chuck so I'll look for that one. I enjoy a 50/50 mix of beer and ginger beer/ginger ale on hot days. I don't care for those made with soda's like Sprite. Lemonade works well too. I had many of these in Ireland a few years ago when they were experiencing a hot spell in May.

Randy

Gillman
05-28-2010, 11:46
The original term is shandy-gaff, whose origins (the words themselves) I find mystifying.

I can dig the kind of mixture you mentioned, Randy, but I thought you preferred 11% ABV Imperial stout by the poolside of a Saturday afternoon... :)

Gary

smokinjoe
05-28-2010, 11:58
Grilled some filets on the grill for lunch, and washed it down with the remains of a Sierra Nevada "Southern Hemisphere" Harvest Fresh Hop Ale. An excellent combo. I expected more hoppiness than I got from this, but it was a very satisfying drink, nonetheless. A sixer of Bell's Oberon is on ice waiting for 5 o'clock somewhere. :)

Gillman
05-28-2010, 12:24
I had that fresh hop beer recently and thought it was one of the best beers I ever had. It had this silky almost "creamsicle" taste, really good. I had read for years that you shouldn't use new hops, they are too harsh, they need curing for a least a month, etc. etc., all apparently wrong.

A lot of the old lore is buncum, I think. Maybe in bourbon too (I keed).

Gary

smokinjoe
05-28-2010, 13:03
I had that fresh hop beer recently and thought it was one of the best beers I ever had. It had this silky almost "creamsicle" taste, really good. I had read for years that you shouldn't use new hops, they are too harsh, they need curing for a least a month, etc. etc., all apparently wrong.

A lot of the old lore is buncum, I think. Maybe in bourbon too (I keed).

Gary

I agree, Gary. When I wrote that I expected more hoppiness, it was that pungent harshness that I was expecting. Rather, it was very balanced and nice. I don't necessarily mind a hit me in the nose hopschmack, but all in all, this is a very nice brew.

HipFlask
05-28-2010, 13:35
Last night for dinner the wife and I went to Lefts Lucky Town in the village of Wawautosa. We have a real nice run of weather here as sat out on thier deck for the evening. They had a specail going on PBR Silos for a buck and being the frugal person that I am that is what I had. Pabst is a big name from the past that is surpising good on a hot day when it is very very cold along with a bar burger and fries.

craigthom
05-30-2010, 04:30
I agree, Gary. When I wrote that I expected more hoppiness, it was that pungent harshness that I was expecting. Rather, it was very balanced and nice. I don't necessarily mind a hit me in the nose hopschmack, but all in all, this is a very nice brew.

So the semi-fresh slightly dried southern hemisphere version is good? I really like the regular Harvest. I have held in my hand several times but not purchased the bottled Chico Estate, because $10 would buy two of the regular with change left over. I have had the Chico Estate on tap.

Oh, what the heck. I'll go buy a bottle of the off-season Australian hop version.

Hawg73
05-30-2010, 15:30
Picked up a six of Sierra Nevada's Torpedo IPA. After Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA this may be my next favorite.

smokinjoe
05-30-2010, 19:21
So the semi-fresh slightly dried southern hemisphere version is good? I really like the regular Harvest. I have held in my hand several times but not purchased the bottled Chico Estate, because $10 would buy two of the regular with change left over. I have had the Chico Estate on tap.

Oh, what the heck. I'll go buy a bottle of the off-season Australian hop version.

Yes, I did enjoy it. But, not a big bang of hops, as I was expecting. A pleasant drink, though.

jesskidden
05-31-2010, 06:03
So the semi-fresh slightly dried southern hemisphere version is good?... I'll go buy a bottle of the off-season Australian hop version.

The beer is not "off-season" (depending on what you mean by "off-season" in this case, I guess)- it just came out, since the Southern Hemisphere growers harvests their hops late February-early April. The bottles I bought ($5.79@) 2 weeks ago were bottled on April 23, 2010.

Oh, and those are New Zealand hops, not Australian...;)

unclebunk
05-31-2010, 07:07
Burning hot here in Chicago the last few days. Saturday night was all about Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Bell's Oberon. Sunday afternoon we went with Newcastle Summer Ale which is new to our market. Very, very nice beer. As the heat increased throughout the day (it was pushing 95 with high humidity) we needed something light and quenching, so an assortment of Mexican beers hit the picnic table--Pacifico, Tecate, Modelo Especiale and Dos Equis. Great beer weekend!

floatingfast
05-31-2010, 08:11
Bell's Two Hearted ....is my favorite.

So far this summer our frig has had the pleasure of housing:

Bell's varieties (bottles, mini kegs)
He'BREW
Sierra Nevada SummerFest

Currently, the frig is empty of beer :bigeyes: I'm on my way to Kahn's......

HipFlask
05-31-2010, 20:54
For this Memorial Day Weekend I have had New Glarus Spotted Cow, and New Castle Brown Ale at a party I went to yesterday. Today I fired up the Weber and grilled some steaks with Mushrooms and onion. I went into 2 different directions. First up was a Kapuziner Schwarz Weizen Bavarian Black Wheat ale. It was a creamy-roasty beer with a little ripe banana sweetness. This beer has a nice frothy tan head and it looks like a stout. Very nice beer. I will be buying some more in the future. With dinner I switched over to a New Belgium Ranger IPA. This is another tasty beer and would be perfect with some chicken curry. Is it just me or do IPA's just go perfectly with Char grilled food. It has a real nice Hoppy taste that I have grown to love. I am also very pleased with all of the the offerings I have had from this brewer. Nice citrus notes with a lace that clings to the glass with each sip. yummy stuff.

Thanks to those that have served our military; especially those the gave it all, We salute you!

nor02lei
06-01-2010, 15:58
SN torpedo with a hot chilli for dinner.

Leif

craigthom
06-02-2010, 06:48
The beer is not "off-season" (depending on what you mean by "off-season" in this case, I guess)- it just came out, since the Southern Hemisphere growers harvests their hops late February-early April. The bottles I bought ($5.79@) 2 weeks ago were bottled on April 23, 2010.

Oh, and those are New Zealand hops, not Australian...;)

It's off-season for North America, and they did it so they could sell a Harvest Ale in the spring. The hops aren't fresh, as we usually consider them. It seems more of a marketing thing than the other beers.

Hawg73
06-03-2010, 16:52
Enjoying a Stone Ruination IPA after a real crappy day at work. Ahhhhhhh...that's better.

Hawg73
06-08-2010, 14:46
I just picked up a couple of bottles of Dogfish Head Squall IPA. Unfiltered 90 minute IPA that comes in 750ml bottles. 9% a.b.v. so it is pretty strong stuff (for beer). Great hops aroma and finish. If you like your beer hoppy this is good stuff.

Tony
06-09-2010, 10:48
Howdy All:

I hope you are well.

Now that the warmer weather is here my choice is Bell's Oberon, if you get the chance it is a great summer beer.http://2newbeersaweek.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/bells-oberon.jpg

OscarV
06-09-2010, 13:10
Now that the warmer weather is here my choice is Bell's Oberon, if you get the chance it is a great summer beer.

I hope it is better than last years.
They watered it down, it seems that the boys over in K-Zoo are going after the mainstream market, ya know, less taste more sales.
It was real good when it was Solsun.

craigthom
06-09-2010, 14:21
I hope it is better than last years.
They watered it down, it seems that the boys over in K-Zoo are going after the mainstream market, ya know, less taste more sales.
It was real good when it was Solsun.

I haven't had it in a few years, so I'm not sure.

I remember meeting Larry Bell about twenty years ago, when they were just starting to export to other states and he was making the rounds. It was still the Kalamazoo Brewing Company back then.

On the other hand, the two beers of his I like the most, Two-Hearted and Hopslam, weren't made back then, so maybe I like the company better now.

smokinjoe
06-11-2010, 18:08
It's hot & muggy here in Dixie, and I'm thoroughly enjoying my favorite German Weissbier---Weihenstephaner. I love the clove hints in this. :yum:

foxflyer5
06-12-2010, 18:10
i was just down in asheville and drank myself silly at all their microbreweries. i also went ahead and made a statewide tasting for myself by drinking all the states other microbrews. i think i have to detox for a week or so.

i did make sure to bring home some Sweetwater 420. a great pale ale thats not distributed this far north.

craigthom
06-13-2010, 06:28
The 420 seems to be the best-selling local beer; every place I've been with local beers has it on tap. I suspect that's got as much to do with the name as with the beer.

And it's a toned-down pale ale, not that there's anything wrong with that. For some reason I don't understand a lot of people don't like aggressively hopped beers.

Rutter
06-14-2010, 05:32
I had a good few pints of Adnams Broadside over the weekend, But I doubt it makes its way over to your shores!

unclebunk
06-14-2010, 09:48
I had a good few pints of Adnams Broadside over the weekend, But I doubt it makes its way over to your shores!

There was a time a few years ago that I could find Adnams Broadside and Adnams Suffolk Strong Ale (now known as The Bitter) at a few specialty shops, but sadly they both disappeared. Same goes for the entire line of Shepherd Neame products which I used to really enjoy. On the up side, Bateman's XXX Bitter and Nethergate's Old Growler have finally made it here, though with limited availability, so I've been stocking up on both before they disappear too. Now all I need is a packet of Twiglets and I'm all set!:grin:

Rutter
06-14-2010, 09:55
There was a time a few years ago that I could find Adnams Broadside and Adnams Suffolk Strong Ale (now known as The Bitter) at a few specialty shops, but sadly they both disappeared.

That does surprise me! :bigeyes: But as for the twiglets, you can keep them thanks, i'll stick to pork scratchings! :slappin:

Megawatt
06-14-2010, 18:53
Anyone tried Trailhead lager? It is an Ontario craft beer in the European style. Quite nice and refreshing.

nor02lei
06-26-2010, 03:06
I had my 2 sons home for dinned and drinks yesterday and we did start with a fantastic beer tasting. First we had brewdog paradox smokehead witch is a 10% stout matured in an Islay barrel, then brewdog Tokyo an 18,3% stout matured in a bourbon barrel, then Mikkeller black 17,5% an stout that I have had in my basement for 2 years and finally Samuel Adams utopia. Although paradox is a very good beer it came out short in this company were all the others were amazing. Fanny thing was also that the Mikkeller did taste much better now than it did 2 years go. My boys ere overwhelmed of the powerful flavours and the oldest (23) one clamed that it was enough with a couple of drops utopia on the tongue.

Leif

Odiedog52
06-27-2010, 16:54
Ah yes, Utopias .. a great beer. There are a few beers out there that have a higher ABV than Utopias, but what is interesting about Utopias is that it's the only beer at the level that reaches it's extremely high ABV by yeast that they are able to keep active at the level. Other brewers, BrewDog for example, freeze distillate to concentrate their alcohol. So, kudos to Sam Adams.

I'm currently working on a Bells Two Hearted Ale. A favorite of mine, a bit underwhelming this time around. I thought it just wasn't as fresh as I preferred, so I checked the packaging code and it's only a month old. Oh well.

nor02lei
06-28-2010, 03:52
Bigfoot 2009 wile grilling outdoors yesterday and Brooklyn black chocolate stout with the soft chocolate cake for dessert. I really look forward for August 1when the government store relies the 2010 bigfoot. I save 1 2009 for the traditional side by side with new and former vintage.

Leif