PDA

View Full Version : Your $25 range best bet

New2Whiskey
04-21-2010, 04:40
I've been reviewing some of the posts. In summary, I haven't purchased or had bourbon in a while due to financial constraints. I had Jim Beam Black last Saturday and quite frankly was disappointed. I recall how much I LOVED Buffalo Trace.

I live in CHicago. From the posts I gather:

Buffalo Trace
Wellers
Jim Beam Black
Bulleit

I had Eagle Rare Binnys hand picked about 2 years ago and it really didn't do BT justice. I had them side by side multiple times and BT won.

Please...I appreciate comments and opinions.

tommyboy38
04-21-2010, 04:48
Hey new guy!
I'm also a Chicago whiskey drinker. hope to see you at one of our occassional gatherings.

I'd recommend Elijah Craig in the $25 a bottle range. Least expensive 12 year old out there, Weller 12 is a bit more but also very good and I'd HIGHLY recommend Binny's Weller 12 bottling if you can still find any....heck, I like it so much, I may have to get some more.

barturtle
04-21-2010, 06:22
OGD 114............that is all.

matthew0715
04-21-2010, 06:54
Welcome New2Whiskey! Here in New Jersey, the only Weller I sometimes see is the Old Weller Antique 107, which I have enjoyed, but have not had recently (since they dropped the age statement). I wish I could try the Special Reserve or the 12yo.

At this price range my pick is Wild Turkey 101 (avoid the 80 proof, it's just not worth it). Also WT Rye 101 is well worth a taste, if you have any inclination towards rye whiskeys.

Makers's Mark is probably also in that range, if you haven't tried it yet. Many here would say Weller is a better wheated bourbon at the price. Knob Creek might be on sale near that price, but it's usually over $30 around me.

-Matt

edit: Almost forgot: Evan Williams Single Barrel - yes there is variation from barrel to barrel and more from year to year, so you may want to read up before you pick one up. I've never had a bad bottle of this one. Craig and Parker Beam do an impressive job at selecting these barrels.

IowaJeff
04-21-2010, 07:05
Evan Williams Single Barrel. I second Elijah Craig.

unclebunk
04-21-2010, 07:22
All good suggestions from the others, but I'd go to Binny's in the South Loop and pick up two bottles of Very Old Barton for $12 each. Great whiskey at an even greater price, and on par with most of the others previously mentioned.

T Comp
04-21-2010, 07:25
Hate to be a curmudgeon but in my whiskey world and I bet others here, the concept of best hardly ever applies. In this price range I've got many bests and whatever I'm going with that night is my best bet. But....in the spirit of cooperation and considering your preference for BT I'll begrudgingly narrow down a recommendation to Old Forester Signature.

mcer
04-21-2010, 08:06
I will second unclebuck's suggestion for VOB 90proof or BT.

Rene'

p_elliott
04-21-2010, 08:51
Wild Turkey 101 for a rye bourbon and OWA 107 for a wheater.

nor02lei
04-21-2010, 09:01
OGD 114............that is all.

I second that timothy. Dickel 12 or a good bottle of EC 12 would be the closest.

Leif

nblair
04-21-2010, 09:18
Ryed - Old Forester Signature/Old Grand Dad 114
Wheater - Old Weller Antique 107
Rye - Sazerac Rye

OFS is my go to bourbon. I like it more than AAA10, VOB BIB, WT101, and BT. OGD 114 is on par with OFS, probably better, but not quite as versatile. I have personally stayed away from Elijah Craig 12 due to people still reporting a metallic taste in some bottles.

To me there definitely isn't a better wheater for under $25 than OWA. I like it more than the Special Reserve. Weller 12 isn't widely available here, and when it is it is usually closer to $30. I don't think Maker's comes close.

I haven't had any other cheap ryes besides Sazerac. It is right at $25 around here and its good.

In my short time on the site, the one thing I can tell you is that YMMV, everyone has different tastes, you have to explore a little bit and find out what you like.

theDon
04-21-2010, 09:26
Wild Turkey 101 for a rye bourbon and OWA 107 for a wheater.

I believe this is the best answer to the question. Sorry everyone else who put in their 2 cents. Thanks for your input and have a nice day!

OscarV
04-21-2010, 10:37
Can anyone get a WLWeller Special Reserve 1.75ml for 25 bucks?
Maybe on sale in KY?

The Boozer
04-21-2010, 13:16
My vote OGD 114 or OWA 107.

Res/st-or
04-21-2010, 13:45
OWA and BT are the bomb!!!! no really, they might explode. I love em'

nblair
04-21-2010, 13:46
Maybe on sale in KY?

Its regularly priced $25.99 at the grocery store next to my house. I picked one up because that is one hell of a deal, but I really don't care for the juice too much. It's shocking how much better OWA is.

OscarV
04-21-2010, 13:59
Maybe on sale in KY?

Its regularly priced $25.99 at the grocery store next to my house. I picked one up because that is one hell of a deal, but I really don't care for the juice too much. It's shocking how much better OWA is.

That is a hell of a price, it breaks down to $11.39 per 750ml.
How about "on sale", we gotta find it even cheaper.

nblair
04-21-2010, 14:06
Call me crazy, but here in Louisville I don't see many sales on bourbon. If there is a sale, it is usually a smaller store marking the price down to what it normally is at Liquor Barn.

tommyboy38
04-22-2010, 05:12
I think I had a local place that was close to $25 a handle for the Weller SR.
I know the liters were about $16 or $17 before we had a tax increase.

They do carry some $11 handles of some generic 80 proof BT juice

JamesW
04-22-2010, 12:19
For $25 I'd go with Wathen's. I find it to be a good value at that price point. I'd follow that with WT101 for under $20. For rye I'd go with Sazerac and then WT101Rye.

Pieface
04-23-2010, 06:10
OGD114...must try if it's in this budget range!

EC12 has been very good in my experience but feedback is mixed on this one. BT is a solid pick if sometimes a little one dimensional.

bigman
04-24-2010, 19:16
Personally I go with the Four Roses Bourbon Small Batch, its right in that price. Also, the Old Weller Antique 107, and I have a bottle of the Pure Kentucky XO that I got for right around that price, all good in my opinion

matthew0715
04-24-2010, 19:32
Personally I go with the Four Roses Bourbon Small Batch, its right in that price. Also, the Old Weller Antique 107, and I have a bottle of the Pure Kentucky XO that I got for right around that price, all good in my opinion

I wish the 4R Small Batch was $25, but around here that only gets you 4R Yellow Label. Small Batch is near $40, and Single Barrel near $50.

Another one around $25 is Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10yo/90pf. It's not to everyone's liking, but I enjoy it. The bottle is pretty nice looking, too.

-Matt

sailor22
04-25-2010, 07:24
Can't go wrong with any of the previously mentioned. Obviously there isn't a best but a range of worthy juice. A couple that got overlooked;
Some old stock ETL is still hanging around on some shelves for $26.
Fighting Cock is more entertaining than WT101 for me most nights $17.
Evan Williams 1783 is a bargain too.

Enabler
04-25-2010, 19:24
I would go with the OWA, which I think used to be great, but the newer batches good, but not as. Also, here in California at least you can get Maker's 1.75 ltr for 34 bucks at Costco. Makes that my daily pour. Finally, I think that Old Grandad's (I am new to the forum so do not know particular shorthand for this, I assume OG) which is my "Best Buy" for under $10 on sale. I think OG is pretty good for mixing, or drinking with soda.

CorvallisCracker
04-26-2010, 08:18
I think that Old Grandad's (I am new to the forum so do not know particular shorthand for this, I assume OG)

OGD. Acronyms can be found here (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/announcement.php?f=43&a=8).

When you reach 25 posts, we'll show you the Secret Handshake.

smokinjoe
04-28-2010, 14:01
A thread like this comes up a couple of times per year, ("Best budget pour" type) and each time I really enjoy reading them. Because, since there are so many new members constantly entering the site, it's good to hear new perspectives and opinions. But, what it also does, is enforce to me just how many awesome bourbons there are out there that don't cost a lot of money. Any of us can buy dozens of extremely fine bottlings, be able to mix up the rotation, and hardly sweat the cost! Probably like many of others, I sometimes find myself searching for, and dropping big bucks on the newest BTAC, FRBS, Parker's, etc. Very good to be sure. But, if I had to, I'd be perfectly fine with Old Forester Signature, OWA, OGD 114, EW Black, EC12, 4R Yellow, Fighting Cock, Ezra Brooks 90, Old Ezra 7, and so on, and so on, and so on...

unclebunk
04-28-2010, 14:21
A thread like this comes up a couple of times per year, ("Best budget pour" type) and each time I really enjoy reading them. Because, since there are so many new members constantly entering the site, it's good to hear new perspectives and opinions. But, what it also does, is enforce to me just how many awesome bourbons there are out there that don't cost a lot of money. Any of us can buy dozens of extremely fine bottlings, be able to mix up the rotation, and hardly sweat the cost! Probably like many of others, I sometimes find myself searching for, and dropping big bucks on the newest BTAC, FRBS, Parker's, etc. Very good to be sure. But, if I had to, I'd be perfectly fine with Old Forester Signature, OWA, OGD 114, EW Black, EC12, 4R Yellow, Fighting Cock, Ezra Brooks 90, Old Ezra 7, and so on, and so on, and so on...

I'm of a similar mind, Joe. I've got stacks of pricey bottles on the bar and in the bunker but every so often I say to myself, "I could have saved myself a lot of dough and been perfectly happy with (fill in the blank)." Virtually every one of the bourbons you mentioned I either like a great deal or flat out love. I mean, how do you beat OWA, OGD114 and OFS for quality and price?

White Dog
04-29-2010, 06:17
No such thing as "best," but I'm always pleased with Johnny Drum Private Stock, WT 101, BT, and Pure Kentucky.

funknik
04-29-2010, 10:59
I agree with Smoking Joe -- these threads are always fascinating. While I agree with the usual suspects of WT101, BT, OGD 114 & OWA, I would add some "lesser knowns" or "overlooked" baragins. I love AAA 10yr, WT Rye 101 & Dickel #12 . . . I believe all of those to be great value for the money, although, for me, at least, not necessarily easy to obtain . . . still I think these are premium whiskeys in bargain clothing.

Not to rub it in, but my father-in-law also gets me WT101 8yr at the Duty Free shop at the border crossing near his house for $20 a liter, which is tough to beat.

wskybnt
05-01-2010, 21:52
Without a doubt, WT 101, followed by OWA, and OGD BIB or 114. These are the benchmarks for Bourbon. The 2x4's if you will....

George
05-02-2010, 12:01
Interesting thread. I like most bourbons I've tried. At $25 or less around here, my preferences are EC 12, Dickel #12, OWA, and MM.

Doggerlander
05-02-2010, 12:57
Bulleit which is $23 in Ohio is the most interesting for me in the 20 to 25 range.

BT and Weller SR are also good in the under $25 (in Ohio) for easy drinkability (if anyone is counting votes). EC12 is a love-it or hate-it choice around SB from what I've seen so far (I'm new here), but I like it on occasion. I need to pick up another bottle to be sure.

I'm sure my choices would be wider in Kentucky.

ebo
05-02-2010, 14:19
BT, WT 101, Elijah Craig 12, George Dickel (technically not bourbon). I also like Jim Beam Black, but I wish it was higher proof.

I see a few votes for Bulleit. I just can't seem to find any redeeming quality for this bourbon. It seems light and kind of bland to me. Oh well... different strokes, as they say.:grin:

RamblinWreck007
05-03-2010, 18:01
Elijah Craig 12 yr. or Wild Turkey 101