PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Michigander

woody
05-06-2010, 05:07
Greetings and Salutations from Belleville MI. I seem to be making the rounds. Beer, Vodka, that other whiskey from north of the border, and now Bourbon. I'm not entirely new to bourbon but mainly only drank Jim Beam white in my youth. Based on different reviews here and elsewhere, I have tried 6 other bourbons in the last few weeks. Heaven Hill, AAA 10 star, Ezra Brooks (standard), Makers Mark, Buffalo Trace & WL Weller special reserve. The Special Reserve is my favorite thus far, with Buffalo Trace a close 2nd. The Ezra Brooks would be the best value to me so far at only 11.50 a fifth, and its pretty pleasant going down. Looking forward to trying the EB 7 yr old, and Weller Antique next.

Regards, Woody.

edit...Don't know how I could forget Eagle Rare 10. Probably cause I liked it so much it's been long gone for some time. Was very good and ranks right up there with the Weller SR.

Josh
05-06-2010, 09:45
Greetings and Salutations from Belleville MI. I seem to be making the rounds. Beer, Vodka, that other whiskey from north of the border, and now Bourbon. I'm not entirely new to bourbon but mainly only drank Jim Beam white in my youth. Based on different reviews here and elsewhere, I have tried 6 other bourbons in the last few weeks. Heaven Hill, AAA 10 star, Ezra Brooks (standard), Makers Mark, Buffalo Trace & WL Weller special reserve. The Special Reserve is my favorite thus far, with Buffalo Trace a close 2nd. The Ezra Brooks would be the best value to me so far at only 11.50 a fifth, and its pretty pleasant going down. Looking forward to trying the EB 7 yr old, and Weller Antique next.

Regards, Woody.

edit...Don't know how I could forget Eagle Rare 10. Probably cause I liked it so much it's been long gone for some time. Was very good and ranks right up there with the Weller SR.

Welcome Woody! Good to have yet another one of us on the board. The MI bourbon community grows in power daily!! :lol:

You're off to a good start. I'm a big fan of the Old Ezra 7 y/o. It is a good value sipper and a great mixer. The proof and age are high enough that it shines thru even in coke or a whiskey sour. If you dig the Weller SR, give one of the Van Winkle bourbons a try. The Old Rip Van Winkle 10 y/o 107 proof and the Pappy Van Winkle 15 y/o are my favorites. The Van Winkle Family Reserve "Lot B" is very popular too. They're pricey but generally worth it.

Anyway, hopefully we can have another MI get together soon. Watch the Bourbon Social forum. Meanwhile, if you are ever up this way drop a pm and we could meet somewhere for a drink. There are a couple bars in RO with decent bourbon selections, or you could even drop over at the homestead and raid my stash, such as it is. I may even mow the grass for the occasion!

Ultra
05-06-2010, 10:16
Welcome. More members from Michigan than from Kentucky? Seems like it. If in the Alpena area let me know and I will drink with you.

p_elliott
05-06-2010, 10:37
Hi Woody I welcomed you on another site so I don't want to repeat what I said. You Michigan bourbon drinkers breed like rabbits :slappin: We're going to have to change the name of the site to the Michiganstraightbourbon.com. You have a great bunch of bourbon drinker up there with you woody they will steer you straight. Come Join us in chat it's the gazebo on the top of the main forum page. It's officially on Thursday and Sunday nights but some one is there most all nights and other times. It's a good time your welcome to join us.

Enabler
05-06-2010, 11:55
I am not even sure where Michigan is, but quit drinking all my bourbon!

Welcome.

OscarV
05-06-2010, 12:03
Welcome aboard Woody, I am in Napoleon now but prior to 1996 and since I was a little tyke Ypsilanti was my home and I know Belleville well.
I still work out of the Ypsi warehouse, ever stop into Maria's Bakery? I'm there twice a week.
Have you tried Four Roses Single Barrel yet? MI just got it a couple mothns ago, also Wild Turkey Rare Breed always does the trick.

woody
05-06-2010, 14:04
Welcome Woody! Good to have yet another one of us on the board. The MI bourbon community grows in power daily!! :lol:

You're off to a good start. I'm a big fan of the Old Ezra 7 y/o. It is a good value sipper and a great mixer. The proof and age are high enough that it shines thru even in coke or a whiskey sour. If you dig the Weller SR, give one of the Van Winkle bourbons a try. The Old Rip Van Winkle 10 y/o 107 proof and the Pappy Van Winkle 15 y/o are my favorites. The Van Winkle Family Reserve "Lot B" is very popular too. They're pricey but generally worth it.

Anyway, hopefully we can have another MI get together soon. Watch the Bourbon Social forum. Meanwhile, if you are ever up this way drop a pm and we could meet somewhere for a drink. There are a couple bars in RO with decent bourbon selections, or you could even drop over at the homestead and raid my stash, such as it is. I may even mow the grass for the occasion!
Thanks Josh, I don't get your way very often, but I might have to make an exception with an offer like that!

woody
05-06-2010, 14:10
Welcome aboard Woody, I am in Napoleon now but prior to 1996 and since I was a little tyke Ypsilanti was my home and I know Belleville well.
I still work out of the Ypsi warehouse, ever stop into Maria's Bakery? I'm there twice a week.
Have you tried Four Roses Single Barrel yet? MI just got it a couple mothns ago, also Wild Turkey Rare Breed always does the trick.
I was just in Maria's about 30 minutes ago! Nice selection of beer, but a little thin on the bourbon there. I just saw, and purchased the Four Roses (standard bottling, not single barrel), and I found an Old Forester 75th anniversary of the repeal of prohibition gift set I couldnt live without. So much for the Antique and EB7 being next in line.

timd
05-06-2010, 22:37
Hey folks - another Michigan (Oakland County) resident here... I mostly lurk and don't write much, if ever, on the board - but enjoy reading all the comments and reviews.

I'm, sad to say, mostly a Scotch drinker - but I've learned to love Bourbon, and especially Rye (mmm... rye) of late. Grew up in Texas and Whiskey was what we used to get drunk - never "enjoyed" it- just drank it (Beam & Daniels), but I've found quite a few Whiskey/Bourbon/Ryes that can hold their own with any number of good Scotches with no problem at all... and at about 1/2 the price!

Would love more info on an MI get together... I need more excuses to drink more with new people!

cas
05-07-2010, 14:39
Another gathering would be good. How spread out are we - anybody got a tally? Is there a central location?
Craig

unclebunk
05-07-2010, 15:01
If you guys in Michigan do pull off a get-together I might make a road trip from Illinois to join you. I could use a change of scenery and thought I might get hammered and puke on Josh's couch.:lol:

Josh
05-07-2010, 16:14
If you guys in Michigan do pull off a get-together I might make a road trip from Illinois to join you. I could use a change of scenery and thought I might get hammered and puke on Josh's couch.:lol:

You're welcome too. The cats puke on it all the time.:lol:

cas
05-07-2010, 17:14
Doesn't sound like we'd need the top shelf stuff for this kind of party...
Craig

bonneamie
05-07-2010, 20:20
Attention new members from Michigan! If you go to the bourbon social and search for an old posting called Michigan Roll Call on page 3 of that thread is a MAP!! It was created by Potbanger (Brad) not an active poster, but certainly an active Michigan bourbon hound, and it lists who was a member when he made it and where they live. I don't know if it can still be added to.

Soon as it stops raining and warms up, I intend to host(ess) another local gathering.

cas
05-08-2010, 05:21
Soon as it stops raining and warms up, I intend to host(ess) another local gathering.

Pretty good deluge we've had these last couple days. But the floodwaters in my yard are slowly starting to recede.
Craig

woody
05-08-2010, 05:29
I looked at the map. It didnt look like anything could be added at this point. I assume only the owner can? Anyhow, I would definately be down with a gathering. Just name the time & place.

harshest
05-08-2010, 07:04

I'd be down to come to that meet.

Enabler
05-08-2010, 18:00
How about a Michigan get together in California!?!?!?! I am there!

Special Reserve
05-08-2010, 18:18
How about a Michigan get together in California!?!?!?! I am there!

I'll be in LA next week to attend my daughters graduation with a PhD from USC. I'm looking forward to spending some time with her.

Enabler
05-09-2010, 10:59
I'll be in LA next week to attend my daughters graduation with a PhD from USC. I'm looking forward to spending some time with her.

Sadly, while I am in California, I am about 500 miles from LA.

Josh
05-09-2010, 13:00

Sadly, while I am in California, I am about 500 miles from LA.

You can drive 500 miles easy. Don't be such a wuss Enabler!:slappin:

Enabler
05-09-2010, 18:05
LOL. Touche'.

(extra characters)

whskylvr
05-09-2010, 19:40
500 miles!! That means you must be up by Redding area?

Enabler
05-09-2010, 20:56
Chico. (plus extra characters to make the board minimum)

whskylvr
05-09-2010, 21:03
A buddy of mine is the District Manager for Pacific Wine and Spirits in Chico. Great town!! Some pretty good bars up there also. I am in Modesto.

fishnbowljoe
05-13-2010, 15:45
Welcome to SB Woody. Glad to have you. Looks like you've already received some good info. You're in an area with lot's of good members. Play nice and they'll treat you okay. :lol: Cheers! Joe

timd
06-02-2010, 23:37
So... any more thoughts on an MI get together?

Looks like most folks are more SE than anywhere else (good for me...). What's the usual protocol for such things other than places to sit and lots of Whisk(e)y?:drink:

I assume these local meet-ups have been done before? Are they at a house, a bar/restaurant, etc.?

I assume most of us here don't need to much excuse to get together with other like-minded folks and drink...