PDA

View Full Version : Bring it Back!

VERITAS
05-08-2010, 12:53
What discontinued bottles would you like to see come back? Or even what export only releases would you like to see here in the states?

For me I'd love to see BT bring the Eagle Rare 101 back. I was shocked at the difference between the 101 and the current release.

Also I'd like to try the other Blanton's releases - I've never had any except the one currently available in the US and tasting the line would be fun.

Last one for now is the Maker's Select. Never had it but have heard nothing but good things about it.

unclebunk
05-08-2010, 13:00
For me I'd love to see BT bring the Eagle Rare 101 back. I was shocked at the difference between the 101 and the current release.

I'm with you on that one, Kevin. And I think Big FishnbowlJoe would be too. I absolutely love ER101 but have been sipping my bunker stock slowly because I just don't see them around anymore, at least not around here.

hectic1
05-08-2010, 13:06
If I could only choose one bottling it would be without a doubt Weller Centennial...it's yummy in my tummy! :)

CorvallisCracker
05-08-2010, 13:08
WT 8/101. Of course.

WT RR 10/101.

I second Weller Centennial.

And I know they still make Weller 12, but I'd like to see them bring it back to Oregon! :smiley_acbt:

Josh
05-08-2010, 14:06
Great idea for a thread VERITAS!

I agree with all of the bottles already mentioned, but I would also add VG The Fox. Sure it's not as fabled as Centennial, but it's a light, sweet summer pour that makes damn good mint juleps and manhattans.

I would also add Old Charter 90/12 y/o. I recently purchased a bottle from an SBer and I liked it so much I traded for another at the Sampler. I think the extra couple years in the barrel and the higher proof put it light years ahead of the 10 y/o and truly earned it the title of "The Classic". A very good whiskey.

SMOWK
05-08-2010, 14:40
I agree with all of the bottles already mentioned, but I would also add VG The Fox. Sure it's not as fabled as Centennial, but it's a light, sweet summer pour that makes damn good mint juleps and manhattans.

I agree. I always have a bottle on hand, and the last few are going to stay on the shelf a while. Every time I open one, I can't help but notice how much it reminds me of Irish Whiskey. Light, smooth, and what I like to describe as "copper potty".

While I haven't been around long enough to see many, or really any, of my faves go to the wayside, I can imagine the angst that must come with it.

barturtle
05-08-2010, 14:48
None of it!!! If it came back I'd have been a fool for stockpiling it and not selling it off while the prices were high!!!

VERITAS
05-08-2010, 14:58
I'm with you on that one, Kevin. And I think Big FishnbowlJoe would be too. I absolutely love ER101 but have been sipping my bunker stock slowly because I just don't see them around anymore, at least not around here.

If you'd ever consider parting with a bottle of the ER101 PM me!

fishnbowljoe
05-08-2010, 15:08
Unclebunk was right. I love ER 101. I have three bourbons that I wish were still being made. ER 101, WTRR 101, and Weller Centennial. I think that if I had a couple of cases of each, I'd be set for life. Joe

DeanSheen
05-08-2010, 15:22
I'm sipping some 04 WTKS Dark Wood and I wish they would bring this flavor back to the current bottling.

unclebunk
05-08-2010, 15:37
Unclebunk was right. I love ER 101. I have three bourbons that I wish were still being made. ER 101, WTRR 101, and Weller Centennial. I think that if I had a couple of cases of each, I'd be set for life. Joe

I think those would be my three too. In fact, I'm certain of it. Lots of great whiskey has come and gone but if I had a stock of those three I'd be a happy camper.

OscarV
05-08-2010, 15:48
I'm sipping some 04 WTKS Dark Wood and I wish they would bring this flavor back to the current bottling.

I 2nd that, when in KY today I looked for some WTKS that was bottled in 2010, didn't see any but if I come across one I'm going to try it.

On topic, I'd like to see WT 101 go back to an 8yo.

sailor22
05-08-2010, 18:03
I wish we had Very Very Old Fitzgerald, Hirsch Gold Wax, Dant BiB from the 70's, Weller Centenial. WT 8 yr, WT 12 yr all available and affordable. I wish Bush Pilot was still on the shelves.

And I second the fervent wish to have WTKS back to the way it was when it had dark smooth tops and much darker (older?) juice.

T Comp
05-08-2010, 21:45
If I could only choose one bottling it would be without a doubt Weller Centennial...it's yummy in my tummy!

Here Here! Bonus points for anything close to the Louisville bottles but even Frankfort, which I still prefer and crave more than the current 12 (and assuming that this would/could be much more of a reality than a recreation of VVOF).

Luna56
05-08-2010, 21:57
+1 for the ER101. Stellar. I've always liked, and sometimes love the ERSB, but the 101 is a whole 'nother thing.

Tangentially related; why doesn't BT keep Handy available all the time? Damn, BT, it's always tease, tease, tease...

And, in the "wish it was made" dept; Hey, Jim Rutledge, how about making a rye?!! A FR rye would really be something, I bet.

Cheers!

DeanSheen
05-08-2010, 21:59
"
Tangentially related; why doesn't BT keep Handy available all the time? Damn, BT, it's always tease, tease, tease..."

I've wondered the same thing. Shouldn't be too hard.

p_elliott
05-08-2010, 22:32
I would like to see them bring back WTRR 101 and make WT 101 8YO and 12 YO available.

gothbat
05-08-2010, 23:51
I too would really love to see WT RR 101 and Weller Centennial on the shelves again!

ErichPryde
05-09-2010, 01:04
I'm with all of those people calling for the return of age-stated 101 proof amazing turkey. I'm hoping... hoping that the expansions WT is doing will allow just that!

I can't disagree with anything mentioned so far- But one thing I'd really like to see is a non-chill filtered PVW15!

wku88
07-11-2010, 15:17
In no particular order:
VVOF
VROHH
VOB 8yo 86 proof.

nor02lei
07-11-2010, 15:49
Rittenhouse 10 years, Johnny Drum 15 years and VWFRR vintage 1985.

Leif

TNbourbon
07-11-2010, 17:01
Put the copper kettle back in DSP-KY-17. Fire it up! I'll buy anything it produces (once, at least!).

shoshani
07-11-2010, 22:37
WT 101 12YO

Old Commonwealth (Yeah, I know it was the same juice as ORVW10/107 but it came at a hell of a price for what was in the bottle)

And the three that I cut my teeth on in the mid 1980s:
ND Old Taylor BIB
ND Old Grand-Dad BIB
S-W Old Fitz BIB

Kendall
07-12-2010, 08:32
WTRR 101. I would buy all I could afford at $25.00 a bottle.

birdman1099
07-12-2010, 12:36
Rittenhouse 10 years, Johnny Drum 15 years and VWFRR vintage 1985.

Leif

I ran across a few bottles of the Johnny Drum 15. I did not realize it was no longer produced. Do I need to get a couple bottles for you Leif?

Gillman
07-12-2010, 12:39
Well, I'm wondering about cypress fermenters and mash tuns and whether their "issues" may have contributed the greatness of some of those older bourbons. Just like when Beam decided when building new warehouses to build in an older-style (not the large insulated warehouses where barrels are palletized), perhaps it and other distillers would build some new cypress vats. That and if possible, sourcing older-stock wood for barrels, I think the key to the old taste is there. Yeast changes over time; grains ditto (and I don't think their strains are that significant, not to minimize it, but relatively speaking I wouldn't check that as a major factor).

Gary

cowdery
07-12-2010, 14:09
The distillers tell me cypress makes no difference as far as the product is concerned but they like it for the tourists. It's just very hard to get, i.e., expensive.

Medley in Owensboro had cypress fermenters but Maker's Mark has them now.

They're considered good and good to have, but mostly for appearances.

But you might be right.

nor02lei
07-12-2010, 15:05
I ran across a few bottles of the Johnny Drum 15. I did not realize it was no longer produced. Do I need to get a couple bottles for you Leif?

Thanks Scott for your concern, but I think I am ok. Did the bottles have the black 15 years statement on the neck? I can still spot them here as well if only very rarely. I did actually order one recently for our bourbon club BBB but we have not got it yet.
When in Kentucky 2006 I did ask Drew Kulsween what bourbon of the ones he had bottled that he liked the best and he answered Johnny Drum 15.

Leif

birdman1099
07-12-2010, 18:17
I don't recall, Leif... but I'll check.

Is there a difference on the ones with the black 15 on the neck? Is this a bottle I need to pick up?:skep:

Gillman
07-12-2010, 18:29
Here's an informed opinion about use of cypress in whiskey production which suggests to me it does make a difference to the final result. Not one which evidently would affect consumer preference, but they are speaking surely of the average consumer, who may too often drink his bourbon with a mix.

http://books.google.com/books?id=13Eyp2p2mPkC&pg=PA416&dq=cypress+bourbon+whiskey+production&hl=en&ei=8LI7TKngKMOC8gad_tmkBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

Gary

OscarV
07-12-2010, 18:36
Cypress mash tubs?
Off topic here, but who still has them?

Josh
07-12-2010, 18:46
Cypress mash tubs?
Off topic here, but who still has them?

Makers definately does, and I think Woodford does too but I'm not positive.

nor02lei
07-13-2010, 00:57
I don't recall, Leif... but I'll check.

Is there a difference on the ones with the black 15 on the neck? Is this a bottle I need to pick up?:skep:

There is a newer bottling with no age statement at all that looks exactly the same otherwise. It doesn’t taste good at all. If the price is descent I think you should give it a chance Scott.

Leif

birdman1099
07-13-2010, 08:09
Cool..... I know it did have an age statement.

Perhaps I give it a whirl..... Thanks Leif !!!

p_elliott
07-13-2010, 08:17
The distillers tell me cypress makes no difference as far as the product is concerned but they like it for the tourists. It's just very hard to get, i.e., expensive.

Medley in Owensboro had cypress fermenters but Maker's Mark has them now.

They're considered good and good to have, but mostly for appearances.

But you might be right.

I remmeber Four Roses has them as well.

NYtaster
07-15-2010, 19:40
Really wish the WT 12yo and WTRR 101 were still available. I know its a moot point but I also feel the GTS bottles are heading downhill and wish they were not. The long product cycles and current high demand make for some really disappointing choices in the name of corporate profit. I know we need them to make money to keep producing our nectar but it still sucks!

Special Reserve
07-16-2010, 03:02
...I also feel the GTS bottles are heading downhill...

What makes you feel that? Pricing? I agree with you about WT12.