PDA

View Full Version : New to the Boards

foxflyer5
05-12-2010, 07:33
so im new to the boards. im looking for a place to talk bourbon. when my brothers not in town, theres no one around me who really enjoys bourbon and/or whiskey.

jim beam white label is my standard "go to" bourbon. but im always trying new stuff to find a premium worth the price or a value bourbon with good flavors or just to find something unique/interesting. plus its nice to have a variety around the house for those times when you want a different taste.

so this seems like a good place to get talking. i guess ill be seeing yall around the forums.

p_elliott
05-12-2010, 08:53
Welcome to the site, JBW is the best selling bourbon in the world. Being the best seller doesn't make it the best. You might try Evan Williams Black Label it's a little cheaper but I think you might like it better. What other bourbons have you you tried ? So we can get a handle on where you are at? What's your bourbon budget? So we can make some suggestion for you. It's not a contest, it's doesn't matter what shelf your on we'll find some good bourbons for you.

foxflyer5
05-12-2010, 09:08
yah, the Evan Williams is drinkable, as is the Ezra Brooks. ive been digging the Old Grand Dad bonded, but thats more or less the same formula as Beam.

one of my favorites at the house now is Black Maple Hill, but ive only found one bottle of that in my area, so i drink it very sparingly and only with guests. i picked up some Hirsch the other day which is decent.
but ill also enjoy the Virginia Gentleman from time to time.

i dont really have a bourbon budget. ill purchase some higher end stuff every now and then, and the next time ill get something lower shelf. i suppose it all balances out that way.

Ultra
05-12-2010, 09:12
OGD is a higher rye mashbill than JB.

foxflyer5
05-12-2010, 13:37
yah, gives it a bit more of a bite, but still similar to the JB.

SMOWK
05-12-2010, 13:51
ive been digging the Old Grand Dad bonded, but thats more or less the same formula as Beam.

more, way more. it takes me back to the time my girlfriend wanted the dog to sleep in our water bed with us. i said "fine, but I'm bringing the bonded OGD to bed with me from now on." let's just say there's no fur on the covers.

smokinjoe
05-12-2010, 16:39
Welcome aboard, FF5! I like you already. 6 posts...5 posts about bourbon...1 cigar post that mentions bourbon. Yessir, that's how it's done. I hope you enjoy your time here.
:toast:

fishnbowljoe
05-13-2010, 15:08
Welcome to SB FF5. Glad to have you. A couple of other bourbons I would recommend are Weller SR and WT 101. Both reasonably priced and fairly good pours. Have fun and enjoy the site. Joe

foxflyer5
05-14-2010, 09:16
thanks. i do enjoy the various outputs from WT. i havent found any Weller around here. theres a lot of interesting bourbons id like to try that just dont seem to be carried in these parts.

scratchline
05-14-2010, 11:44
One more time. Where you at?

-Mike

Enabler
05-14-2010, 12:12
When you keep calling him FF5 I ,keep reading that as FFS. For *'s sake,lol.

Ultra
05-14-2010, 12:52
Welcome aboard, FF5! I like you already. 6 posts...5 posts about bourbon...1 cigar post that mentions bourbon. Yessir, that's how it's done. I hope you enjoy your time here.
:toast:

How odd coming from someone who seems to have more posts of late commenting on the content of others posts than on bourbon.

foxflyer5
05-14-2010, 13:35
When you keep calling him FF5 I ,keep reading that as FFS. For *'s sake,lol.

heh, "fox" always works. that or some variation thereof is what most people call me in real life.

im in the southeastern PA region, near the DelaWhere? border for now. theres only one PA state liquor store near me and they just have the usual stuff. i work in delaware and theres a bunch of liquor stores around, so im poking around for something new. but again, theres pretty much just the usual suspects, though i did stumble into the last bottle of Black Maple Hill at a store a few weeks ago.

ErichPryde
05-15-2010, 02:01
How odd coming from someone who seems to have more posts of late commenting on the content of others posts than on bourbon.

being such a master of tongue and cheek, it's no surprise you caught sarcasm coming from Joe! He is, after all, one of our bourbon-loving Jedi Masters when it comes to the fine art of sarcasm (He's as good at sarcasm as the maker's mark advertising department is at brainwashing! :bigeyes: :cool: )

ErichPryde
05-15-2010, 02:05
heh, "fox" always works. that or some variation thereof is what most people call me in real life.

im in the southeastern PA region, near the DelaWhere? border for now. theres only one PA state liquor store near me and they just have the usual stuff. i work in delaware and theres a bunch of liquor stores around, so im poking around for something new. but again, theres pretty much just the usual suspects, though i did stumble into the last bottle of Black Maple Hill at a store a few weeks ago.

welcome to the board! If you like the beam mashbill, have you tried Jim Beam Black or Knob Creek? Both are "higher end" versions of the standard Jim Beam mash. another option, especially if you're into bonded old men- You might want to try the grand-dad 114. That's one that gets a lot of love around here, too.

foxflyer5
05-15-2010, 05:50
i actually prefer the JBW to the Black label. but the Knob Creek is a solid bourbon. ill have to give the OGD 114 a try, thanks.

p_elliott
05-17-2010, 00:07
yah, the Evan Williams is drinkable, as is the Ezra Brooks. ive been digging the Old Grand Dad bonded, but thats more or less the same formula as Beam.

one of my favorites at the house now is Black Maple Hill, but ive only found one bottle of that in my area, so i drink it very sparingly and only with guests. i picked up some Hirsch the other day which is decent.
but ill also enjoy the Virginia Gentleman from time to time.

i dont really have a bourbon budget. ill purchase some higher end stuff every now and then, and the next time ill get something lower shelf. i suppose it all balances out that way.

The Jim Beam Mashbill and The OGD Mashbill are two separate mashbills. When JB bought OGD from ND they kept the the ND Mashbill for OGD although it's not quite the same may be the yeast. But you can tell that all the JB mashbills JB, JBB, KC, Bakers, Booker's all have a similar taste but OGD and Basil Hayden doesn't. Unless you didn't know it Basil Hayden is just extra aged watered down overpriced OGD.

ErichPryde
05-17-2010, 00:41
The Jim Beam Mashbill and The OGD Mashbill are two separate mashbills. When JB bought OGD from ND they kept the the ND Mashbill for OGD although it's not quite the same may be the yeast. But you can tell that all the JB mashbills JB, JBB, KC, Bakers, Booker's all have a similar taste but OGD and Basil Hayden doesn't. Unless you didn't know it Basil Hayden is just extra aged watered down overpriced OGD.

Beam actually kept ND's OGD yeast as well from what I've read. It's likely that it's the equipment, different proofs off of still &c, barrel selection... Hell, could be that the corn isn't exactly the same kind as was being used before!